Why d20?

Why d20?

It's one of 2 platonic solids whose number of faces is a divisor of 100, so it's easy to attach a percentage to rolls (rolling 1d20 + 3 with a target of 15 = 45% chance). The other, the tetrahedron (d4), has too few faces to model a fine spectrum of possibilities.
>but muh d10
Not a platonic solid.

1/5 of 100, as the above user points out.

A perhaps more accurate point (that business folk care about) would be that the d20 is simply larger and better known than a d10. Whether this is tied to platonic solids or the result of just making the d20 and getting lucky, it has the benefit of name recognition.

d20-system was /the/ main system because it attached itself to valuable IP.
It remained the main system for quite some time, because it trained it's player base (of mostly new players) to expect concepts that were wild departures for older RPGs.
"Surplus of options" but "minimal homebrew" is one of the bigger one's, but the clincher was "the rules exist for the player's sake, as a restraint on the referee."

Also the Open Game License.
It was so prolific that for a while, "different system" just meant "reskinned d20."

3d6 is used because d6 is a common dice
3d6 is used isntead of d6 because dont produce enought results, 3d6 produce 216 results
the sum of 3d6 is used instead of thinking about it as base 6 digits, because its simple to most.

d20 is used because 3d6 have results between 3 and 18, and some stupid people are ok with changing it to 1d20

I'm not a big fan of single-die resolution systems, because throwing several dice is a lot more fun.
If it's gonna be single-dice though, the d20 hits a sweetspot. d6 and d10 have too little granularity and the d100 has too much. Having a range of 1 to 100 is nice in theory, but in practice GMs and systems usually give a modifier in steps of five, making the smaller numbers superfluous.

>d20 is used because 3d6 have results between 3 and 18, and some stupid people are ok with changing it to 1d20

Actually, that's pretty, pretty far from the genesis of the d20's prevalence.

War games used many different dice configurations, but most actually used 1 or 2 d6's, because when rolling for many units, less dice per roll but using many rolls was the fashion. Very few (if any) using 3d6 as their main rolling function. Other dice beyond the d6 were a rarity, but there were special cube dice that also provided d3, d2, and odd configurations like 2 sides being positive,3 neutral, and 1 negative.

When Arneson and Gygax were designing D&D, Arneson found some odd dice in a London game shop, and brought them back with him to America. While Chainmail only used the d6's, they decided to introduce the d20 as the main die because it provided an easy, flat distribution that made it simple to calculate and resolve while still providing a fair amount of potential values.

Rather than the d20 being used to emulate 3d6, later roleplaying games decided to use 3d6 to emulate the d20. While the 3d6 does give a similar total range, it's curved distribution actually makes it actually much more narrower, with the results ultimately feeling more like the distribution of a d10 rather than a d20. But, since 4d6 is more of a hassle than 3d6, and some people actually prefer the narrower range, since it makes actions more predictable. But, since most people prefer exciting outcomes when rolling dice, the d20 remains far more popular than 3d6.

>why d20?
People can give long winded explanations as to why and as to the science and history behind them but the answer is simple. It's the most satisfying die to roll

Is there a d5?
Get four of those, Then the "FUN!" begins.

There certainly is, but it looks like it was designed by someone who was in a car accident

because Gygax took the first napkin

They've been in use at least since the Ptolemaic period, examples of them have been found in archeological digs of ancient egypt, greece and rome.

They were in use long before that in China.

Give or take a side.

lacking a d10, it was originally numbered 1 to 10 twice. using 2 of them you could generate percentiles, utilizing war statistics in wargames. Gygax and Arneson decided to use it differently.

Because it's the archetypical roleplaying game die.
Because many roleplaying games use d20's as the main resolution mechanic.
Because it allows for a large enough variety in rolls without making it so +1's and +2's are negligible like with d100 rolls.
Because people likeusing what they're familiar with and a lot of people are familiar with D20's.

Why not?

Because icosahedron is best hedron.

Because 1/10 chance to crit was deemed too high in playtesting, while 1/30 is a dumb fraction that doesn't come out to a round percentage.

Not true d20s - d4s, d6s, d8s, d12s and d20 are platonic solids with very precise shapes and proportions, said to be discovered by Pythagorus himself, their name is derived from the fact that Plato himself mused that each of the 5 elements of natures were associated with a particular form of die; with cubes tesselating solidly like earth but also crumbling like a load of d6s, in contrast to the smooth rolling of watery icosehedrons (the d20), the sharpness of a firey tetrahedron (for the stabbing pain of stepping on a d4 was known by even the ancients), the cutting yet evasive form of the octahedron being the form of the air, etc...

And as for the d12, well the dodecahedron was clearly the substance of the heavens, the aether itself, for the poetry of the fifth element being a regular solid of equal sized five sided polygons, from the fifth, arises the fifth, a projection of fiveness into 3d space. What else would the unchanging stars themselves be made of?

Because it pisses off all the anti-d20 spergs on Veeky Forums

3d6 was used to emulate 1d20 and not the reverse.

Wow, thats new to me.
Thanks for clarifying my mistakes.

Hey, I can think of a whole one system that takes advantage of a d%'s granularity in a way that wouldn't work as presented with a d20.

I don't know many games, but isn't D&D&friends the only RPGs that use the d20?

Every other RPG I know uses dicepool d6 or d10, d100, or the 3d6.

I honestly think that as far as single die systems go, d10s would be better with more intuitive scale for setting DCs on the fly, estimating chances, and doesn't need as large modifiers for differences in statistics to be noticable because of its smaller range.

There's a couple non-D&D RPGs that also use the d20, off the top of my head Pendragon and Twilight 2000.

Not exactly super popular, but they exist(ed).

>Pendragon and Twilight 2000
I've heard of twilight 2000, a sci-fi rpg right?
Pendragon though, I haven no idea, but I can guess it's about arthurian stuff

Pendragon is indeed about Arthurian myth.

Twilight 2000 is a Cold War military RPG, though. That said its system was used for some version of Traveler or another.

>Twilight 2000
weren't the rules on that a complete mess? I think i remember seeing a forum or another make fun of them

Frostgrave and Infinity both use d20s, though they're wargames and not RPGs.

Eoris uses a d20 dicepool system like a weird version of Exalted, but no one should play that game.

The "d" stands for "die" or "dice" while the number "20" denote the number of faces present on the die itself, in this case twenty

Makes me wonder what game system did they use...

d10 using the last digit of a stopwatch is the best system