Force of Will

I know it's not the greatest but FoW thread?
It's MtG little sister do you give her some love?
A new set just dropped today/yesterday and wanted to converse in which new ruler will be decent in the meta.
Got myself one of the new boxes and pulled this nice lady here and made a deck using cards from the box, it runs decently and is fairly interest to say the least.

Hows the games balance?

I haven't gotten heavy into meta yet but I know since the lands, which in this one is stones, are in a separate deck then have additions that can be placed into the main deck that are nice to have but aren't heavily required to be competitive.
But back to the stone deck you tap every turn or don't with your ruler to draw a stone so you'll always have some form of mana to use so it gives a feeling of balance through that if I explained it properly.
Besides from that it's still pretty fresh and developing with different playstyles coming out each set.

Quite swingy. Game has a lot of really strong, almost broken shit and equally powerful answers, so balance relies a lot on sideboarding hate to the powerful decks and reading the meta on a competitive level.
A new set just came out so it's to be seen how it evolves, but the last american GPs had at least 5 different decks in the Top 8.
And as said, the game is still quite new, with changes to existing card types, wording and such.

Pricia is probably going to be great in aggro decks, which already have all the good tools in her colours + a white or black splash.

And with new wordings and practically every new ruler coming out, things like going second in a game would be hated for most people but with multiple colored cards like in this new set having the extra token to say fire and wind for an extra summon Mana with the benifit of drawing a card is great.
Also I can see white a bit but spoon-feed me user I wanna make this deck pretty nice.

Only recently got into the game, got an old Alice, fairy deck. Having fun with it so far.

Thinking of building the new Lapis from ROTDE, Like the idea of banishing a ton of my opponents stuff and getting benefits out of it

And I felt there were some great cards that came out in this set that really abuse high level monsters that have event effects for her effects , I'd post a deck list I made out of box cards and reuk egg but about to punch in for work soon so can't shift through the deck atm.

managed to snag my second vingolf 3 box for msrp ($50) and now the things are ~$100. what the fuck

Man I used to be really into FoW, but it died out completely in may area so I gave up on it. There's not a store within 100 miles of me that carries it any more.

In hindsight I'd play with you if I could.

same here, died last this time last year. kinda lame.

Have a little time, here's the lineup.

Reincarnated maiden of flame pricia.

Fiery fox of reincarnation x4
Mariabella, the machine hearted X3
Rukh egg x4
Salamander, the spirit of fire X3
Burning pot X3
Fiery bird of reincarnation x2
Fiery soldier of milest x4

Research! x4
Pricias leap x2
Reincarnation X3
Concord of saints and beasts x4
Sissei, pricias barrier X3
Miracle millennia medicine x1

Memoria of reincarnation X3
Fire stone x4
Wind stone x3

>tfw the game's on another major upswing but LGSes are still reeling from shit like milenia of ages and battle for attorctia

>game slowly picks up at LGS
>Fuck year MTG legacy on steroids
>Wait this Abdul guy is kinda cancer
>Everyone tells me it's fine
>Then comes laeveteinn
>Complain the game is dogshit now
>LOL games fine user just play around it and stop bitching
>R/R comes
>Game is fucking dead, never to return again
FUCKING FOW

>had to stop attending locals for a class only available at night
>class over
>edit deck for R/R banning, foil out all the cheap commons
>walk in ready to play with my beast aggro
>no one's there
>shop owner said that people just got tired and left
>there is another store that plays FOW
>walk in one day
>full of nothing but cringe, think of all the negative stereotypes of MtG and Yugioh rolled into one room
>180 heel turn out of there.
It was fun for a while I guess.

R/R is banned, game is healthy now (for now).

I'm a sucker for TCGs and I've been playing both Yugioh and Magic for many years. I've been thinking about getting into FoW with a few friends, but where would be a good place to start? Can I get a short rundown of different kinds of decks and strategies in this game, or is it roughly the same as MtG? Some of the art looks nice and I like the novelty of having a separate deck for mana.

Best place to start are the Lapis Cluster starter decks provided you can still find them. The preconstructed decks are quite solid and contain staples.The meta is quite healthy with a good variety of decks ranging from turbo, aggro, control, at least in my local scene. Gameplay is similar to MtG but more tempo oriented, and very consistent. Now is a good time to pick it up, especially with the new set just released.

Are the news sites back? They died like right around A4 came out and it's a pain in the ass to follow games when there's no good news on it. It's what killed my interest in Vanguard as well, because even though I couldn't play it, it was still fun to follow.

Thanks fit the tip, user.

Just to add into what he said the starter decks, unlike yugioh, can function without having to buy three of them to mix cards since it I believe gives close of not an entire playset of basic small costs and gives great rulers as well that work with the deck.
I know a friend of mine gave me one to start with of his two and he altered the one he used but I went pretty much toe to toe with him with the little magic experience I had.
Also OP here, booster boxes can basically get you a healthy deck made just from pulls alone since you get two rulers per box and 32 packs of 10 cards so it gives a bang for your buck.
Speaking of costs tho you can make a meta deck out of Commons and the worst pricing per individual cards is stones and rulers. Everything else is fairly affordable.

Tl;dr starter decks are balanced, booster boxes can make you a decent deck too and singles are cheap besides stones/rulers.

I looked at the prices for a few cool looking cards and I noticed almost everything was super cheap. I heard that there are cards based on Sinbad the sailor. Are they any good? I'll probably start with a starter deck, but I'll likely want to expand eventually.

Game was fun, then they stopped shipping it to the UK because it was selling out too fast or something.

>stop shipping your products because they're selling too fast

Well my fairly small LGS got in like 10 boxes of TTW and they all went. Everyone was having fun playing. Then they stopped stocking it over here and that was that.

Of the various starter decks, which one would you recommend to a new player and why?

the green one. it's obviously not a tier one deck out of the box but it is the foundation for one.

Swarming elfs is one of the higher decks on the spectrum if built right, out of box it's stil decent though to overwhelm your opponent with elfs.
IT all depends on what kind of playstyle in cardgames you like more really sincethe wind starter is a swarm, the fire is aggro, dark is control etc.
I looked up what you're talking about for Sinbad but there aren't many "story" resonators that senergize with it, but it has an interesting ability but prevents gaining draws.

I play a scectrum of deck types in mtg, mostly some form of either midrange, aggro, or swarm/tokens. The green one sounds like it's up my alley, but I also like the sound of the ability on the white ruler.

looks like a royal clusterfuck

For the energize ability right?
Or it's judgment ability that it gains. Since both are fairy great in ability but the first a little less since newer rules are starting to gain that as well.
There are however a lot of light fairytale cards out there so it will be nice to build around on a later date when you get used to the game more. That being said you mainly pick a ruler and build around it's abilitys if it wasn't obvious already.

It figured that's how it would work, yeah. I kinda reasoned that FoW is like Commander in Magic, except with a smaller deck size (non-singleton) and a separate deck for your mana.

I want to fuck Piruruk

Basically yes. When it comes to rulers once it's judgment is used it can't go back to being a regular ruler unless it has imperishable then when it's killed it goes back flipped over to keep producing stones for you.
Without imperishable it gets killed it goes back to the ruler zone but can't do jack shit anymore.
And yeah deck building is yugioh style but up to 4 of the same copy in the deck and no worrying about stones in it due to a seperate stone deck. The meta tends to be 10 stones out of the 20 you can have to get to special stones faster unless you're running normal stones or 1 color. Same with main deck size meta tends to be 40 cards.

Interesting, so it's a mechanic that you generally need to employ carefully.

How is the company doing? They had a boom, but then stores started dropping them. And they really aren't well liked in Japan.

I want to fuck Piruruk.

It's why some decks employ it later or some sooner if they don't need a lot of stones.
Regalia, cards that are added to the deck support rulers useage and can protect from having it killed and tend to be free or colorless use cards with various effects for j-rulers.

So can you not get stones without your ruler resting every turn (outside of specific cards that give them I assume)?

Note that they changed the rules with J/Rulers. When a J-Ruler without Imperishable is destroyed, it flips back to its Ruler side and becomes astral. It still has its abilities and can call stones. Before this change, the Ruler would not have its abilities but could only call stones.
Part of the skill in this game is timing your judgment when it's safe and will either win you the game, or at least put you ahead. It's not nearly as punishing to have your J-Ruler destroyed now than it was before the rule change.

The only way to get stones outside of tapping your ruler is other card effects but it's generally not worth running unless your deck runs off of them. Just like in the new set right now it runs off cycling stones for the rulers effects.

When did these rules come in? Will make me more confident to judgment in my duels with friends if that's the case since I don't see the use of it's not going for game so sometimes I don't at all.

>And they really aren't well liked in Japan.
At this rate you might just think of fow as an american tcg with weeb art. It's nonexistant back in japan.

Is it possible to flip it again or is it stuck in astral?

The new rules have been in effect for a little while now, but I don't remember when they took effect. I should have been more clear about the new rules. A destroyed J-Ruler will flip back to its Ruler side and placed back into the ruler area with an Astral counter on it. For the rest of the game, it loses its Judgment ability. It retains all other abilities and can still call stones.

I'm alright with this desu. Some of the decks that I run barely use rulers judgement if it does like Kaguya 3.0 fairy deck the only reason I'd judgment with her is to rest all my opponents shit if they have flyers themselves or overextend more with my stones.
Also doesn't this make imperishable useless as a mechanic and card effect to run now in the main deck?

Imperishable's viability really depends on the deck. If a J-Ruler is a major win condition for a deck, it would value imperishable more so than a deck that only uses the Ruler side for its abilities.
For example, the new Pricia really wants imperishable because it can attack for huge amounts of damage each turn, and if your opponent can kill it, imperishable will let her flip again and go in for more swings, putting huge pressure on your opponent. Whereas a Fiethsing turbo deck doesn't really care for imperishable because she will almost never flip.

So imperishable still lets your judgment again, alright that's good to know, there's regalia that lets you give your j-ruler it right, such as the demon sword (which I'm also not sure of the effect for it when on the field or in hand if you can banish on your opponents turn to gain imperishable) and such like that.
And when it comes to preventing a target attack to her when rested I've been waiting till I get at least 1 Pricia's Leap in hand before going into judgment, and making sure before I flip I cycle in a wind stone and fire to give everything flying and swiftness to do potshots in the air without tapping her, then get the effect of attacking to gain more cards. If at all possible at least.

I really would like to try out WIXOSS, but probably nobody plays that even in Japan.
Is Lostorage any good?

They play it in Japan.

I just look at Grinning Remnant and Reddit.

Anyone got any tips for a Grimm deck? I'm looking to see what kinds of fairy tales I can work into it for some fun times.