media.wizards.com/2017/downloads/magic/Plane-Shift_Kaladesh.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
Have you tried running or played in an underwater-set campaign, 5eg? How did that go?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12498055
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I think the bigger question is... Why the fuck would you stat gods?

Nope, it's a level 9/8 spell once cast at that level. I can't remember the exact evidence for that, I just remember it being a thing.

Vulnerability has no save, as does magic missile.

Must be really powerful legendary actions, because they only need one turn (Grave cleric's turn) + one turn (Druid's turn)
The only thing is, if you have immunity to force damage you become resistant, if you have resistance you have normal damage and if you're normal you have vulnerability. So it's technically better than 2x damage, but it doesn't ignore what resistance they have.

This

In my experience, entirely underwater campaigns aren't really any different. Either you ignore restrictions, and let everyone act as normal but with what amounts to a fly speed, or you heavily restrict everything and either everyone plays underwater races to ignore them, or they pick options to have ways to ignore it.

Thematically, it can be great, but mechanically, its best ignored, or done in short bursts.

God's avatars, there's a distinction.
Because people have different tastes and some want to play as gods or commit atrocities against them?
It's almost as if D&D was a game where you could do whatever you want. Who knew?

No, but I imagine if you did it would basically be like all your PC's had flight.
Only if they ever make an Epic PHB should they make god stats. I don't like the idea of PCs killing gods.

>Why the fuck would you stat gods?

Because killing gods is in genre?

I researched it here "Casting a Spell at a Higher Level
When a spellcaster casts a spell using a slot that is of a higher level than the spell, the spell assumes the higher level for that casting. For instance, if Umara casts Magic Missile using one of her 2nd-level slots, that Magic Missile is 2nd level. Effectively, the spell expands to fill the slot it is put into."

Do you understand what Legendary Actions are and have you seen Tiamat's statblock?

>I think the bigger question is... Why the fuck would you stat gods?
See

You realize the concept of statting gods has been around since 1e, yes? It's always being a thing of D&D.

>Only if they ever make an Epic PHB should they make god stats.

I'm all for increasing the number of epic boons that exist, but I'm not sure PCs need to be able to go past level 20. Its good to have an anchor point.

>I don't like the idea of PCs killing gods.

Nonetheless, its a time honored practice. Archfiends aren't that far off from gods.

strawpoll.me/12498055

Looks like no one thinks that Sharpshooter is all that special.

It's older than that. There's a 0e supplement for it.

It's only at the end of a creature's turn, so that's only one attack (After the grave cleric's) unless you ditch the grave cleric (Because honestly you don't need ~2222 damage, yet alone ~1111) in which case they don't get any legendary actions at all, because they're fucking dead.

And all the attacks do is inflict damage. Sure, that's nice, but it probably won't stop the druid screwing them over like a petrification would.

How much hp and where are these positioned in relation to Tiamat?

God's stats have been in every edition of D&D.

What's your religion system in your setting, DMs? Been trying to get ideas like using what the DMG has. Dualism seems to be interesting cause I like the idea of 2 gods of different ideals with lesser deities under each though I'm not sure if it's right to put Chaotic Good/Neutral gods under the Law side of the duality cause of the "Chaotic" part. Am I right in seeing it this way?

Sharpshooter is pretty much exclusively for non-feat games, and nearly everyone plays with Feats.

It's for a Longbow fighter with the Sharpshooter feat. That extra damage lets your action surge be even bigger and the melee shots let you skip Crossbow expert.

Different faith systems for different cultures.

There's a monotheistic empire that believes all other gods are off-shoots of the one true god, there's a Hindu-style triumvirate, a pantheon of four based off of the seasons and the humors, a pantheon of endless little gods that embody every aspect of the world and a religion that has no gods but instead worships the collective spirits of their ancestors.

You can have multiple systems in the same setting. If they clash with one another, that's a good thing. Religion's supposed to be at least a little nebulous and a cause of conflict. A clean, cut and dry system removes the magic.

>What's your religion system in your setting, DMs?

Pretty much just Tiamat runs around eating people all day (and she has a continuous Shield effect)

No shit Sherlock. Her Legendary Actions affect cones or 10 foot wide lines, and deal horrendous damage.

Had previously on their turn implies it passed Tiamat's turn, which Tiamat can just plonk in their midst and multiattack. Or once it passed to Tiamat's turn, she could divine word. Or any number of things.

A druid has enough HP to last at least one legendary action.

But if they can get within range, it doesn't matter, because it's a one-turn-kill before tiamat can do anything.

Magic missile's range is 120ft. If you want to be a real bitch, you can have some people buff you up with extra speed through haste or something so you can run over from outside of her attack ranges, or have someone teleport you in. The only real concern is her rolling higher initiative, and she has a +0 dex modifier. Simply cast enhance ability (cat's grace) on yourself, consider getting the +5 initiative feat and go wreck'em.

Of course, if you fuck up somehow, she'll probably murder you in a single turn but honestly literally all you need to do is get within 120ft and you win, even if you've used your action (But if you only have action surge's action left then you'll likely have to roll ever so slightly above average damage)

I've been thinking that in reality, there is a One True God but different cultures see him/her differently. It'll probably never be realized by my players or the people of the world that there is in fact just one supreme divine being but when they traverse, they see many people who view it differently that Region A (where the players reside) believes One True God is a mini-pantheon of many gods that represents different aspects like Life, Death, Knowledge, etc. (something like "The Eight"), Region B sees him as one god and has lesser divine servants like saints who spread his cause (much like Catholics do in real life), Region C think it's a single God with many faces (though I fear it might blur to Region A's belief), then Region D is a mix of Region A/Region C but they think God is a nature deity who exists within the natural elements and his aspects are represented via water, air, earth, fire, etc.

Then you have the people who discard the above beliefs and go for more sinister Gods who live in the Far Realm.

I'm all for clashing really but I still want to have that cohesiveness under the hood of it all.

If your players will never realize what the truth of the world is, there's no need for you to make it cohesive. You can safely leave it unfinished if it's something that will never be a part of the plot.

>mfw a player rolls up a halfling diviner wizard

that's why my homebrew halflings have -1 int

I have had two areas set in underwater places, one exploring a sunken city with an NPC that could create a bubble of air around the party, and a cave with magical water that was as clear and as breathable as air.

At least you know that they're a likely problem player and can police them accordingly.

Alternatively, they might play it reasonably well. But somehow I doubt it.

The majority of the world worships deities from the Dawn War pantheon, with a handful of cults here and there worshipping essentially Great Old Ones. And then there's a few cities that are completely isolated from the outside world, and have been for millennia, and they also worship those GOOs, plus an "All-Mother" deity because their culture predates the Dawn War pantheon.

Both the isolated religions and the Dawn War pantheon revere the stars and constellations as avatars of the gods.

Do small races wield rapiers without penalty?

You're assuming the vulnerability goes off?
How are you casting magic missile as a druid? A 2nd level eldritch knight doesn't yet cast spells.

And the hp of that druid being? The DM can sure handwave the druid into surviving the encounter.

Hello guys, first time DM here, had a question regarding alignment and whether I'm handling it right.

So I'm running the Lost Mine of Phandelver module from the starter set and the players had just arrived in Phandalin. They ran into the Redbrands, killed most of them and tied up one of them after beating him within an inch of his life. (so far nothing out of the ordinary)

They then dragged him to Qelline Alderleaf's farm, barged in the door traumatising her kid for life and interrogated the bandit with a knife to his throat while the paladin took a nap.

Then they dragged the bandit back to the town square, executed him while he was pleading for his life, and hanged his body using his cloak to put him on display.

I thought that last part was pretty extreme, so here are the alignment shifts I'm privately tracking (players aren't aware):

> wizard (Chaotic Good -> Chaotic Neutral)
it was his initiative and he showed no remorse or hesitation
>ranger (Lawful Good -> Chaotic Good)
she didn't approve putting the body on display but did nothing to stop it either
>paladin(Lawful Good ?)
was still taking a nap, after hearing what happened he mildly condemned it but undertook no action (like taking down the body)

Mechanically there will be no consequences since the paladin didn't take his oath yet.

Seems like lawful good actions, that's what you do to bandits. You should punish them by moving them one step closer to LG.

I reasoned the lawful good action would have been to turn them into the local authority.

I realize you're probably joking, but let me clarify that I'm not looking to punish them, just using alignment as a way to keep track of how the world responds to them (eg. the citizens are a little scared of them now)

>Mechanically there will be no consequences since the paladin didn't take his oath yet.

Does that mean that you are going to require the paladin to be the party babysitter for the rest of the campaign after he gets the oath? Christ.

Go with multiverse theory.

Every time they use a reroll to succeed where they previously failed or they use Portent to replace a failed roll with a successful one, they're actually stealing luck and success from other 'selves' in different parallel universes. They're swapping around probabilities and causing their other selves to fail. The more they use this ability, the more porous they make the universe, allowing their parallel selves to enter it and hunt down this mystical entity that is leeching their luck.

If they're going with a wacky race-class-feat combo for the sake of being powerful, be just as wacky in return.

>What's your religion system in your setting, DMs?
It's largely monotheistic.

Humans and Elves have basically the same religion. There's God, he's cool, they praise Him, life's great. Clerics fall into a given domain by more closely following one of the distinct books of His holy word.

Dwarves practice Saint worship. Same God as Humans and Elves, but they think he's inattentive or busy with other shit, so the Saints are basically middle-managers who can get your word to the top since they have a track record of getting responses. Also, they're Spanish.

Orcs revere animal spirits and practice ancestor worship. They think the afterlife is co-mingled with the real world. They're right

Gnomes have a bunch of Gods but they're all distinct Aspects of the Human/Elf God. They're basically Hindu beyond that, right down to being brown and being good at computer programming.

Halflings are animists. Every individual rock has a fucking spirit in it.

No, I meant that there is no possible way for there to be mechanical consequences since alignment isn't that big a deal in 5e.

If the paladin takes the oath of devotion, then yes, I expect him to follow his oath and try to refrain from stuff like that. But he can just opt to take another oath.

Your build is invalidated because it can't cast magic missile to begin with.

Arcana Cleric has access to Magic Missile.

I'm disregarding the grave cleric entirely because you can easily deal ~1111 or so damage without them
And if you don't even cast magic missiles twice, you can still get ~600 damage.

That's a good point though, I fucked up on the level calculation.

Actually, the best way to do this is to simply go for 19 levels of druid and 1 level of cleric. You don't need action surge. You only need to make one attack, even without grave cleric's help, to deal an average of over Tiamat's health. But, again, there's random chance and you could definitely flump, so action surge is probably better as a back-up.

A typical druid's health might just be 3.5+20*(4.5+3) at that point, but it could easily be buffed throughout the many levels at that point. But expect around 150-175 HP.

How can I tell my player that his Chaotic Neutral character doesn't necessarily mean he has license to do chaotic/law and good/evil things at the drop of a hat?

I need a good situation/example that'll make him see what I'm going for. He thinks because he's CN, it's in-character for him to decide to kill a peasant for being a thief then a little later, he's kind to this child cause he wanted to show his good-side to his party. Then later on, he punches a guardsmen in an inn cause he was pissing him off.

My players are complaining to me that he's becoming bipolar instead of a cohesive character and he says "it's his character" or something. I admit, this is the first time I'm dealing with a CN character who's becoming a problem on the table, I usually just shrug it off cause previous CNs I've had just didn't really pose such significant problems to the party (and sometimes people just ultimately drop alignments altogether). So yeah, I'm not sure how to approach it efficiently without pissing everyone off.

He didn't mention that, only twilight druid 18/fighter 2 and level 6 grave cleric, as per his example.
Tiamat noms down on his party because they trusted the fool.

>I expect him to follow his oath and try to refrain from stuff like that

Right, but how much party policing is he required to do?

just have his victims return as revenants

His fault for incorrectly quoting the build then.

This is a really stupid and petty thing to take issue with as opposed to the wildly untested UA element.

You can still use a wand of magic missiles.

In any case, it's a simple oversight that reduces the damage by 1d10, when you're already doing truckloads of damage.

There's a chance of rolling poorly and completely wiffling, bear in mind what Tiamat is dealing in her statblock are averages and not max damage. She could easily obliterate overconfident fools just as easily if she won initiative.

And I'm not particularly concerned about a one trick pony that makes use of that particular combination. Especially since you fucked up something fierce on your first try. Your entire party died.

I don't expect him to take full responsibility for everything the party does, but I expect him to act in good conscious, for example in this case I would expect him to go back and give the bandit a burial. If he would have been present I would expect him to try and stop the other two from executing an unarmed man pleading for his life.

These are the relevant tenets here I think:
>Compassion. Aid others, protect the weak, and
punish those who threaten them. Show mercy to your
foes, but temper it with wisdom.
>Honor. Treat others with fairness, and let your
honorable deeds be an example to them. Do as
much good as possible while causing the least
amount of harm.

I should note that I'm planning to be fairly lenient in this regard and give the player plenty of warning that he's going of the right path (visions from his deity etc.) before taking actual action.

Whatever helps you win at D&D, autist. But sure, try that with a DM and see how you fare.

Doing twice average damage or having twice the health of her average damage is more than enough.

But, again, she can't even use legendary actions because as long as you get within that 120ft range safely she won't even survive to the end of your turn.

>point out this UAshit is bananas
"You are trying to win at D&D, autist!"
Amazing projection bro.

Whether or not she allows you to get within 120 feet is another matter. She's not a retard, not with her Int.

UA is bananas if you abuse multiclassing, grats bro. Lets get that 1 UA Ranger level for a scaling Wolf too.

Only an autist would get his panties in a bunch over unofficial content. Content that got feedback. But you were so close at winning at 5e. Keep trying, you're get there.

Her attacks are 120' range or less, and by default she emerges from the portal which is definitely within magic missiling range. Has nothing to do with being retarded and everything to do with completely stupid rules and rulings.

Using UA against established monsters is like using homebrew, official homebrew nonetheless, against monsters. It serves no purpose other than playtesting that material.

>grats bro
>But you were so close at winning at 5e.
Interesting to see someone get defensive and respond with projection over their leet minmaxing builds being criticized.

See

Unless you're going door-to-door and killing whole families, there's little you can do in a single day to actually shift your alignment that much, especially from one end of the spectrum to the other.

If you consider some 100 point scale where 100-68 is Good, 32-0 is Evil, and everything in between is Neutral, you will almost never do something that is worth even 5 points either way.

>They ran into the Redbrands, killed most of them and tied up one of them after beating him within an inch of his life.
This is fine. People die in mortal combat. They were presumably trying to kill the PCs as well, and one can never ensure they don't kill anyone in a big melee with swords and arrows everywhere.

>barged in the door traumatising her kid for life
This means nothing.

>interrogated the bandit with a knife to his throat
This doesn't really rise to the level of Evil. Threats and promises of violence used to force compliance aren't the same as, say, torture, which is Evil.

>dragged the bandit back to the town square, executed him while he was pleading for his life, and hanged his body using his cloak to put him on display
This is Chaotic. The party decided they were the best ones to interpret and enforce the law (though "Lawfulness" and "the law" aren't the same). They took matters into their own hands when things were already under control. The execution and display is just tacky, but doesn't really rise to Evil, provided it was performed humanely. He was a baddie, after all.

>Mechanically there will be no consequences since the paladin didn't take his oath yet
Mechanically, Paladins don't have to remain Lawful Good anymore. They just have to avoid egregiously violating their Oath, which can be served a number of ways, and not all of them Lawful or Good.

Remember, alignment shifts happen over a long period of time. Over the course of an adventure, you're not going to see someone drop from Good to Evil unless they are making a conscious effort to be a shit.

Thoughts on LG Outsider warlocks? Whats a good patron for them? I was thinking an angel, or like a chorus of luminous voices.

It really, really isn't hard to get within 120ft of someone.

A spellcaster with possible friends who could potentially accelerate him to ridiculous speeds that can easily outrun 120ft fly could easily catch up. You're basically playing a cat and mouse game at that point where tiamat has become the mouse.

What the fuck are you blathering about?
I'm saying using UA to prove certain monsters can be oneshotted using certain combinations is fucking retarded, but you shouldn't worry because it's considered homebrew and obviously needs playtesting and finetuning.
Of course the minmaxing builds should be criticized you driveling retard.

Do you even understand sentences?

Tiamat never engaging in direct HP combat with anyone in any way for the rest of her existence out of fear is a decent compromise.

Did you know that before Renaissance artists started painting angels as little babies and ripped blonde dudes, they were fucking terrifying?

Hiding behind certain UA tricks can lead you to believe your character is the bigger threat, I suppose.

You seem to be retarded.

>Remember, alignment shifts happen over a long period of time

Thanks for your response, I wasn't really aware of this. Is there somewhere where alignment is explained a bit more in depth? The 5e PHB and DMG are rather concise on the matter.

Now try oneshotting Tiamat without resorting to UA.

Play out the Lawful aspect to the extreme. You could refer to some unearthly Law on High as your baseline, worship some unknowable entity that you've tapped into.

Ideas of law and justice could bleed through into you from your patron, 'corrupting' you with ideas about absolute right and wrong, perfect truth, unknowable divinity and the filth that is grey morality.

And you got bitchy and defensive, trying to claim that for objecting to the basics of the nuclear druid nonsense, I was trying to win D&D. ie, pure projection. So fuck off.

>inb4 "no u"

You sound like a sore loser.

5E doesn't really "do" alignment to begin with, which is why it doesn't mention anything. Old AD&D, 2E, and 3E books are the best place to get a general feel for this, but seldom do they ever really lay out a hard and fast rules-y system with "these actions are Good, these actions are Chaotic, this is worth 2 points, alignment switches happen here, with or without snap-to-center alignment".

What the actual fuck are you trying to say?
Type slowly if English isn't your first language.

Never remotely justified UAshit. Follow the reply chain.

That overconfidence is going to multiattack you in the ass.

Open Hand Monks, surprisingly enough. Most parties won't have em and it'd require you to get to her, but I am actually quite comfortable with how wizard parties will have an insanely difficult time against her, while a monk can pop her in one round.

Please give examples. I'm sure it can be done.

I wasn't the one he was responding to, so...

>Please give examples. I'm sure it can be done.

Okay.

The sole problem with nuclear druid retardation expressed at was whether Tiamat would allow someone to get within 120' and that a creature with 90' to 120' breath weapons as a primary attack is "retarded" to get into range.

Your response was pretty petty and really stupid, not gonna lie.

Sorry to upset you, chum.

How is your brain even functioning? I want to know if it's actually working.

Yeah man, I got so mad.

Anyway, I've already said this

Using UA to prove an epic monster is surmountable through shenanigans doesn't actually prove anything. It just proves the UA isn't ready yet for "official" consumption.

I'm making a Nuclear Druid. What cantrips should I pick up? Currently thinking..

Cleric:
Sacred Flame (Force saving throw)
Guidance (Utility)
Light (Utility)

Druid:
Shillelagh (Melee)
Shape Water (Utility)

Wizard:
Green-flame Blade (Melee)
Chill Touch (Ranged attack)

Any other suggestion?

Going for a ancestor worshipping kinda shaman and fluff magic missile as ghosts or spirits.

#
In what way?
>i can do this and this to oneshot a god!
>DM: you actually can't because your mechanics don't allow for it, them's the breaks
>you're really petty and stupid
>DM:...

What can the open hand monk do? Really curious.

Quivering Palm

Nice; what about against Legendary Resistance?

Not him but I guess make her burn it through Stunning Strike and Open hand technique and flurry of blow?

Can the monk fly? Because vertically and actually reaching may be an issue.

Monks can pretty much run up walls and jump pretty far, if your GM is putting a flying encounter in without cinematic ruins, trees or buildings for the monk to do sick flips off then he is a sad man.

>Quivering Palm
How do you get the DC high enough to reliably beat her CON save?

>You fight tiamat on the flat plains outside the city.

>Tiamat is only allowed to get 120 ft in range.

>You fight tiamat in a 50ft cube

Shouldn't PC at that level should have magic item that help them fly?

Her CON save is +10 right? Shouldn't the DC be 19 or something?

anyone have an up-to-date version of this?

Which caster makes a better blaster? Warlock or sorcerers?

Warlock seems like an obvious choice because of EB but the sorcerer looks a lot more versatile. We're playing a game with no multiclass so once I pick a class I'm stuck in it. Which will allow me the most fun?