New Planes Edition (try to make cards for new planes with fresh ideas and setting themes)

New Planes Edition (try to make cards for new planes with fresh ideas and setting themes)

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
OR
Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

This card is a fucking mess and doesn't work

Why doesn't it work?

Are you supposed to put it on yourself or an opponent? If it's on yourself, then why put "enchant player" on it in the first place? It's much cleaner as a non-Aura Enchantment.

And if you put it on another player, that player has no way to benefit from the extra mana because they don't control the ability. You can just keep tapping it on your draw step to give mana they can never use. Then it just becomes an anemic drain spell that hurts you both.

The point seems to be the latter. You enchant the opponent, and in order to build up to the card's ultimate effect of blowing up in their face, you give them 2 black mana each turn. Don't say they can never use it, because you know that's not true.

Enchantments shouldn't really tap for there effects, it's very rare that they do this and is one of the main differenes between artifacts and enchaments.

The percentage of games where the opponent can actually make use of BB once per circuit may not be "never" but it's damn close. Tapping the enchantment on their upkeep or draw phase ensures they can only use it on instants and activated abilities. And since it's colored mana the opponent probably can't use it except to pay generic costs, unless they happen to be playing black too.

>The percentage of games where the opponent can actually make use of BB once per circuit may not be "never" but it's damn close...And since it's colored mana the opponent probably can't use it except to pay generic costs, unless they happen to be playing black too.

I can imagine plenty of situations where I needed/wanted another two mana of any color to throw around

>Tapping the enchantment on their upkeep or draw phase ensures they can only use it on instants and activated abilities.

You're right about this, and I think is right too. There's no reason for it to tap for effect; it should instead just give the BB in the first main phase.

I'm not saying this is a card that needs to be printed, or even that its effects are well thought out or airtight. It's just a funny idea to kick around.

Are any of these to your liking? I am a different user, by the way. Made these back in 2010.

Yeah, the card would work a lot better if the rules text was just

"Enchant Player

Cumulative Upkeep - Pay 1 life

At the beginning of enchanted player's precombat main phase, that player adds BB to his or her mana pool.

When ~ leaves the battlefield, ~ deals X damage to enchanted player, where X is twice the number of age counters on it."

So I've been toying with the idea of a 1 mana planeswalker for sometime now, would love some opinions. [Sorry for the lack of art.]

I actually like this. It's about on par with Llanowar Elves or Wild Growth for ramp. The first ability is not quite right though. It should read, "Tap up to one untapped basic Forest you control. If you do, add GG to your mana pool."

I meant for the player to have the option to either put it on themselves for high-risk fast mana, or they can use it as a very expensive and telegraphed bomb on an opponent.
An opponent would probably not benefit from the mana most turns, but an extra two mana at the end of second main phase would totally open some options up occasionally.
It's on the complex end of things, but I think it's justified for a big, black niche rare.
Tapping enchantments only occurs on Future Sight cards, maybe I should change it to FS style?

btw, thanks for the advice

Same user as The 1 Mana Dork.
Been toying with mechanic for a while. Works very similar to Morph but for any type of spell.

Journey is alright.

Earth to Earth is no Harrow, and is not really better than Explosive Veggies.

Sylvan Epiphany is in a weird spot where it waffles between really good and really shit.

Essentially a preemptive kicker, since face-down in exile is not that different that in your hand.

Eternal Guard 3W
Creature- Skeleton Soldier
First strike
Whenever an Angel enters the battlefield under your control, if ~ is in your graveyard, you may pay 1W. If you do, return ~ from your graveyard to the battlefield and put a +1/+1 counter on it.
2/1

Caged Vitae 2GG
Creature- Elemental
Trample
~ gets -X/-X, where X is the number of creatures opponents control.
8/8

Fading Ember 1R
Creature- Elemental
Haste
Whenever ~ becomes blocked, it gets +3/+0 until end of turn.
1/2

Skullward 1B
Enchantment
Whenever a creature attacks you or a planeswalker you control, sacrifice ~. If you do, that creature's controller sacrifices it.

Shadow of Memory 3UU
Creature- Illusion Wizard
Whenever a creature you control becomes the target of a spell or ability you don't control, draw a card.
2/4

Epitaph Stone 1
Artifact
When ~ enters the battlefield, exile target nonland card from a graveyard.
5: Exile target nonland card from a graveyard.
Cards with the same name as a card exiled by a card named ~ can't be played.

Caged Vitae is an interesting idea, but starts too strong. Fading Elemental looks good, but your opponent is perfectly happy to let you chip in for 1 each turn. Skullward is neat.

>Vitae
Knock off the trample, you think, or just make it smaller? It's already never going to see multiplayer.
>Ember
2/1, maybe?
>Skullward
Slightly different Edict, basically.

This is a pretty cool card. Pretty good play pre-blockers or postcombat. Given that though, I'm not sure about the cost. It's much easier to twist this in your favor than say, a Pyroclasm.

I feel like flavor-wise, this wants to be GW. I know white can do this sort of thing, and it's not just the art making me think that, but if I saw this in print I'd expect it in GW myself.

I like Shadow of Memory. Epitaph Stone seems like a really mean late-game play; I'm not sure about this sort of lockdown in any color for 1 mana. Sure it's not as flexible as something like Meddling Mage but it's still very cheap, and that's a touch worrisome.

I dunno if the first line works. Wouldn't it be "If you would draw a card, instead reveal the top card of your library and put that card into your hand."? Also feels like it ramps way too hard.

Ooh, this is spicy.

I also really like this. Very nice green mechanic.

Damage needs a source, user.

Islandwalk feels excessive given how strong it could be, but it's alright otherwise. That itty bitty waist though...

NotBut yeah, mad spicy.

>I dunno if the first line works.
Closest example I could fine, so its current wording should be okay.

I kinda tossed it on there as a thematic inclusion. I was actually designing it with the OP edition in mind; it'd go into a land-focused set that'd share some aspect of that stuff with Zendikar but with none of the Eldrazi. I'd be fine with it without Islandwalk if I had to remove it.

Hm, well then, I suppose I stand corrected.

Thoughts?

Exiling facedown gives you protection from discard effects and gives information to your opponent as there are only a certain number of hidden cards.

Neat design, could see that in a standard big green ramp deck with blue splash. Wording seems a little off but can't find an example to reference.

Actually I copypasted the wording word for word from cards like Broken Visage. IIRC there was only one other card I've found that makes this kind of tokens (probably because of potential memory issues with the token P/T? idk).

Love this design, much flavour like sweet garlic bread.

Updated text, and now with art.
Just a little worried about the utility and value you are getting with a one mana card, tried to balance as best as possible with limitations on the plus ability.

Might should be blue.

Should be red/blue and ditch that reminder text

Is this wording ok? I want it to do nothing if the creature card is removed in response

>+1
Just say "Tap an untapped..." The "up to one" wording is used so that abilities that target can be used on an empty board, but this one doesn't target so you don't need that. Also add a comma after "if you do".
Not sure about the card as a whole. I like that it doesn't generate card advantage as a 1 mana walker, and in a green heavy ramp deck I think it's worse that arbor elf.

This is blue.

White reducing toughness on a buff is strange. Maybe 1R instead?

Yeah the wording on that fine. Seems like a blue black effect though, it's kind of along the lines of bodydouble and haven ghoul lich.

Reason that it has 'Up to' is so if you play him on turn 1 he isn't completely useless and can still tick up.

>Reason that it has 'Up to' is so if you play him on turn 1 he isn't completely useless and can still tick up.
But that only matters if the effect targets. Since your effect doesn't target it doesn't need a legal target and so you can activate it even if you have no basic forest.

An interesting idea, though fairly terrible when compared to Terminate.

I agree that this is blue-black.

Well in that case the first ability needs to target.

Wouldn't this loop with itself?

Probably something like
>Whenever a permanent would leave the battlefield, if it wasn't destroyed, destroy it.

These aren't hybrid cards. Don't use the hybrid frame.

pls no

Would love to have this in red EDH decks.

Seems a bit under powered.
Make him start with 2 or have +2 on the first ability

Simple and clean.
Nice work.

Long time no see, /ccg/. I have nothing new to share, but I'll bump with commons to help keep the thread going. I'm hoping that I'll have the time to return to my set within the next couple of months.

Why red?

Becomes really messy with layers. Just have it be a triggered ability at start of each combat.

Shit design/10

Wouldn't make sense lore-wise

Mechanics > Flavor

Turning stuff dying into a bonus fits into green, black or red but I wasn't sure it was a good idea to just make it single colour as it's a rather hefty bonus as it can shove it on anyone you want, rather than most of the green ones being self-buffs.

That and green/red felt like a good pair of colours for the fluff out of the three options for it's mechanics. Riots and Strikes.

It's just that gaining +1/+1 counters on death is a very black/green thing. It can be red, but it feels lacking. You should give it a red keyword to emphasize its redness more.

Let's keep it alive.
Highly conditionality and the fact that it's sometimes bad for you help to balance out the 3-mana price. I like it.
I feel like the flavor would be better if you nixed the can't be blocked clause and made it trigger on attack. The cost would need to be adjusted, though, probably to monowhite.
I'd go with a variant of the Palisade Giant wording.
Fun alternate win condition.
White really only returns its own creatures to hand, if I'm not mistaken.
>Revealing whole libraries
>Each player
Please no. Make it a search instead.
Probably should have a higher base cost, since adding counters is absolutely free with no downsides.
Solid. I like it. Not sure if blue's in the entombing business, though.

Continued bumping.

balancing on this?

you did it, i like it.

Needs to be sorcery speed or more expensive, definitely. Maybe even both. Probably both, in fact.

you think looting is that much stronger than scry 2 that the double red mana cost doesn't work?

Yes. The difference between a card in hand now and a card in hand later is huge.

>enchantress T4 win every game
please no my deck will get banned

Sorcery, 1R. it's an uncommon it's fine.

sorcery speed and 3 mana would make it trash

Trash is an exaggeration. Additionally, erring on the side of too weak is better than broken.

changed my mind: RR, rare, sorcery, and it's 2 to player 3 to creature

Make the discard an additional cost, or have the draw be an "if you do".

Just made this, let me know what you think.

Would you play this if it was legal in any format?

forgot to post, also forget the picture i just didn't have one

So... no drawback at all then? Because that's not really a drawback.

First strike is tertiary in black, so it being granted by an Aura without deathtouch or some other "black" reason to have it feels off. I don't consider the Sengir effect to be enough justification myself. Honestly this could be WB and be just fine.

Works for me. I love P/T switching effects. Also, good to see you again, Timeanon. How goes school/grad stuff/career/life in general?

not!China cards ahoy. Maybe. It depends if I have enough art to pull off more than one or two. This card is kinda weird but I like weird cards. Not sure about the cost. I think CMC4 should be okay, though maybe it needs a little something else?

updated to make it playable in atraxia

updated to make it playable in atraxia
fuck, and fuck the post timer

This card probably couldn't really exist as it is in a set unless you wanted to give up the ability to have +1/+1 or -1/-1 counters as well, but I still think it's kinda fun. Hopefully the creature theft being temporary as often as not makes it sufficiently UR.

Replacement effects can't target.

Oh? So... "may have a player" then? Or is it a hopeless case? I couldn't find anything close to similar but I am also rusty at searching Gatherer.

what do you mean? unless you ramp it doesn't come out until turn four and you have to lose a land

T3: Play land, tap out, cast elemental, lose no land

Here is my final make of this card, i will explain the thought behind it. Don't let Trump on it sway you it's unrelated and random image.

So it deals you 20 damage if you dont pay any mana, if you have a mana you play it on turn 1. If you go first it deals 18 damage to you and you deal 10 to your opponent. Then they take their turn, it can block one creature with vigilance, if they have haste. Then turn 2 if they have a blocker you deal trample damage, get them down to around 1-4 health, if you have another creature attacking as well you win, if not, turn 3 comes and you lose.

The haste on this card also makes it usable on any turn if you would win the game and can pay for it. Its risky and pretty much meant as a thought experiment about MTG.

say "sacrifice an untapped land or sacrifice Tremor Elemental"

This feels a bit much for one mana.