Alright Veeky Forums, I need help...

Alright Veeky Forums, I need help, I need to buy a new audio book because I'm about to go on vacation and need it on the plane. I need a suggestion!

>Wheel of Time Series (I /could/ pick this back up at book 6...)
>Dune (the sequels were BAD, right?)
>The Forever War
>Mistborn Trilogy (I've had too much Sanderson)
>Discworld (Would want to continue the Watch series but audible doesn't have after Feet of Clay)
>Hyperion
>Neuromancer
>The Coming of Conan the Cimerean
>The Black Company
>Stormlight Series (third book when)
>Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
>Foundation series

I also tried the Malazan series but holy shit, I just couldn't.

Pic unrelated

The Broken Empire trilogy is pretty great if you want some low-fantasy stuff or you could get started on The Expanse or The Lost Fleet for some pretty nice "realistic-ish" sci-fi.

Dune! Top of the list.

Neuromancer, if you like cyberpunk. Will also lead into sprawl trilogy.

Neal Stevenson's snow crash or the diamond age.

Joe Abercrombies the blade itself, for dark fantasy.

>the sequels were BAD, right?
Pleb.

Yahtzee's new audiobook is out, it's meant to be pretty good.

I just finished snow crash and it is amazing. Also can't recomend "a scanner darkly" highly enough. That book is a trip.

The Dune audiobook on audible is actually really good quality-wise. They have various voice actors, sound effects, etc.

If only the book was better, though.

I can't recommend snow crash highly enough. I just finished it and if I hadn't given the book to my girlfriend to read id be starting it all over again.

user, the OP is my audible library. Ive already read it

Nice job, douchebag. You said "plane" and triggered my paralyzing, heart-wrenching fear of flying and I'm literally crying on the floor in a fetal position as I write this. Happy now?

Dunk and Egg narrated by Harry Lloyd is pretty good.

>Stormlight Series (third book when)

End of the year most likely
the sanderson guy posts procent updates on his website

I liked his first one, but JAM kind of sucked

C U L T U R E
U
L
T
U
R
E

>>Wheel of Time Series (I /could/ pick this back up at book 6...)
Trash
>>Dune (the sequels were BAD, right?)
Wonderful. All six originals are.
>>The Forever War
Dunno it.
>>Mistborn Trilogy (I've had too much Sanderson)
Trash.
>>Discworld (Would want to continue the Watch series but audible doesn't have after Feet of Clay)
Pretty good.
>>Hyperion
Trash.
>>Neuromancer
Pretty good.
>>The Coming of Conan the Cimerean
Meh.
>>The Black Company
Pretty good.
>>Stormlight Series (third book when)
Trash.
>>Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
Wonderful but meh.
>>Foundation series
Good.

First Dune good, each book after that is incrementally worse than the next (which oddly leads to a "boiling frog" moment, because the second book isn't bad but it's not as good as the first, then the third isn't bad but it's not as good as the second, and the fourth isn't terrible, but it's not as good as the third.
Next thing you know frank herbert has had to die and be replaced by kevin J anderson just so the series can sink to depths of badness that Frank Herbert wasn't capable of.

Forever War is good.

I have no idea why you think Audible doesn't have all the discworld books, try searching amazon for them if you can't find them via audible directly you can by from audible via amazon. They. Are. There.

Neuromancer is shit and iirc all the audiobooks are read by William Gibson himself, and he's a shit narrator too.

Hyperion is... not worth it, good first book, good enough that you'll find yourself ignoring all the warnings about the sequal being trash garbage on burnt toast and read them to find out what happens next. Next book ruins everything good about the first.

HHGTTG and Foundation are okay, nothing special.

Figure out what your audible problem is and get the next discworld books you want.

mandatory >>>/tumblr/ for the low quality bait.

also you triggered me for assuming he meant a flying plane and not an alternate material plane, you kobold-fucking mindflayer apologist

There's this book called NPCs by Drew Hayes that's pretty Meta (literally)

>Couldn't get into Malazan
>Likes Sanderson

P L E B E

How does it feel to be so overwhelmingly wrong?
How is Discworld anything but amazing?

Startide Rising
Lord of Light

Maybe zamonia books or 13 1⁄2 Lives of Captain Bluebear from walter moers?

Alright, let me drop this little gem on you all: Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrell. Take the Chrestomanci books, re-write them for adults, and make them historically accurate to an autistic degree.

Long footnotes on how two english wizards served their country in the Napoleonic Wars, one of the best depictions of the classic Fey, a prophecy or two... It's a good read, if a bit dense.

Of course, it's incredibly autistic. If I had to describe it... It's the sort of lore someone writes if they liked the GURPS hack of Mage better than the WoD versions, or a History Major who's favorite pasttime is writing Ars Magica settings.

Discworld's pretty good. I like good writing, and Discworld's isn't great. Discworld tries to cover bad writing with style, but bad writing doesn't get better just because you claim that it's intentional.

There's the quality of the voice acting to consider since I'm "reading" these as audio books

If you're into the Dresden Files, James Marsters has a voice of pure gold. Take note of when he's clearly going off the rails, direction-wise.

Yes.
The central conflict takes entirely too long to develop, but the fey are spot-on, and the whole thing is just so quintessentially British...

HYPERION

[SHRIKE LACK OF NOISES]

>tfw shrike almost clipped your dick off mid-climax

I got The Forever War on audible and thought it was pretty great. I think there are a few of Haldeman's works on there. Haven't heard Neuromancer audiobooks but I've read it a stack of times. It has its flaws and it's dated by today's image of cyberpunk but I still love it.

I started listening to a book called Ancillary Justice which wasn't bad even if it's a bit dry in parts.

Another suggestion I'd make would be Ready Player One. It's definitely YA focused and simplistic in some parts, but i thoroughly enjoyed listening to it. Plus it's narrated by Veeky Forums's favourite D-List celebrity.

You could always pick up Leviathan Wakes or one of the other Expanse books.

It's me, the guy who thinks Endymion is a better pair of novels.

And there's nothing you can do about it.

No.

Not OP, but I've been waiting for a Veeky Forums book thread. What's a good place to start espionage books? I'd specifically prefer undercover police, but any kind of espionage would be appreciated.