EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Atypical Stax Commanders edition

Old Thread RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Group Hug, Group Slug, Stax -- What would you main, what would you play for a lark, and what would you throw on a bonfire (Marry, Fuck, Kill if you prefer)

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/591482#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/perpetual-motion-machine-1/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

With Mind vs Might coming out soon I'm kinda interested in building Jhiora. But is there a way to make her that isn't "Suspend huge spells" or "Suspend Eldrazi Titans" Basically anything to make her not get hated off the table

At that point you might as well run Gisela or Jor Kadeen.

Responses Jhoira. Have plenty of instants. Suspend everything that's not an instant. Your turns are Draw Go other than possible combat step. Your opponents' turns are really active. Timebug/Timecrafting/Clockspinning to drop a card out of suspend RIGHT NOW or keep it hanging there until you need it.

hears some spicy tech that i run
>pic related
>suspend everything
>cycle hand
>suspend everything
>paradox haze
>cycle again
>suspend

also
>puzzle box
>possibility storm (cast from hand, no one can counter you)
>knowledge pool (also cast from hand)

jihoria can fuck with people through chaos and she gets around a lot of it

Traditional Wheels work far better. If you suspend your hand to garbage Creation and Puzzlebox won't get you that much draw power.

>Main
Mono black Braids. #FREEBRAIDS

>Play for a lark
Derevi, flying bird wizard bitch is kinda cute.

>Bonfire
Daretti. Into the trash it goes.

any predictions for what will be in jihorias deck?

Brewing Ayli lifegain 'n' drain, anyone got any super secret spicy tech?

Can't wait to resolve this with a Sanguine Bond on the field

So I want to build a new deck based around increasing cards drawn per turn for everyone but I have no idea what commander to run. Preferably something that will get little hate and I can just flood hands with.

I want to make a Kataki deck. Should I go the "monowhite eggs" route or the "shoo artifacts" one?

I love Multani for this. Flood everyone's hands and then start oneshotting people.

Angus MacKenzie for Turbofog. Just slap Freed From the Real on him and you can eliminate combat. Run a few counters to stop combos from going off. Run Wheel of Sun and Moon to not mill out yourself.

I made Jhoira using high CMC stuff and Kaboom! type cards. It still allows you to suspend Eldrazi or big spells but that isn't the whole game plan. If you reveal Temporal Trespass, deal 12 with a Explosive Revelation, then suspend it after being added to your hand. You can also dump a high CMC spell into your yard and use Living Lore to cast it. You can clone Living Lore to cast high CMC spells from your graveyard too.

Not super competitive but it's a ton of fun and never the same in any game.

the ol' Life.dec was an infinite combo with Daru Spiritualist, Nomads En-Kor, and something to sac. Ayli would be the sac thing in the combo. It's super cheap, CMC wise.

>step 1
fuck you mld board wipe susspend
>step 2
eldrzi
>step 3
counterspell
>step 4
win

This is the version of Ayli I always thought was the best. You can also play the additional combo that uses rebels if you wanted.

recomend me a fun off the beaten path comander to play

Steal yo girl.

>card draw
>in mono green
Boi
I don't get how this leads to card draw.

What are the best one drops Veeky Forums??

user quite a lot of the "all players draw an additional card" effects are colorless, font of mythos, howling mine, anvil of bogardan etc..

Duh

>Serraascendant/mentalmisstep.tiff

Jor is made to go Wide and Gisela is way too high CMC for voltron

Double Strike + Sword/Jitte Activations is sex and the vigilence allows you to take advantage of the defensive aspects of Pro-Colors

>Playing commander
>Gisela in play
>One guy casts army of the damned and another dude reverberates it for himself
>Gisela player casts elecktrickery kicked at the end step.
Salt

Green has a bunch of draw

Selvala stax is one of my favorite decks.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/591482#paper
this a good list? about to order it

Just getting into the format. Very fun for shits and giggles. Does anyone have a deck or just a commander that isn't actually great, but is hilarious to play?

Play it in a deck with Alhammarret's Archive

>competitive edh
The more this phrase gets thrown around the angrier I get. What fucking mouth breather thought it would be a good idea?

Stahp
t. Capt. Sissy

Norin the Wary

:^)

if you want a meme commander norin, the wary and heartless hidetsugu are perfect.

People who misunderstand the point of the format

Zedruu the Greathearted

Woops meant for

Redditors, I'm not even being paranoid. Some of them have outed themselves as being from there.

That list is sweet. I'm about to put it together right now.

>people can't enjoy things I don't enjoy.

Niet.

>lol user I play narset you can't steal her.

>Retards showing up at the LGS with food chain taziri and fully tuned yisan
>Smug as they pubstomp retards running angel tribal and volatile rigs
MAKE IT STOP

Edric or Gwafa are fun and underrated

>fully tuned yisan
I've actually been interested in Yisan for a while, but as a toolbox. Is that feasible? Or would I fall into the trap of building him like every other Yisan deck?

Yisan is an all in combo deck that runs stand pieces while it enacts it's game plan by turns 3-5

What colorless utility land do you put in all your decks?
I usually go for:
>Reliquary Tower
>Ghost Quarter
>Mirrorpool
>Rogue's Passage
>Arcane Lighthouse
>Homeward Path

>Strip Mine
>Wasteland
>Dust Bowl
>Ghost Quarter
>Tectonic Edge
>Encroaching Wastes

:^)

>free braids

Fine. Can I have Rofellos then?

Sure, if we can bargain for Griselbrand

>But is there a way to make her that isn't "Suspend huge spells" or "Suspend Eldrazi Titans" Basically anything to make her not get hated off the table
Doesn't matter what you make her, people will assume you're doing one or both of those two builds. So since there's no use fighting that assumption, you might as well just do that.

Well then we should find an agreement for Emrakul too

I want to play legacy but I can't afford the playsets of expensive cards. So I play the format closest to it. What's wrong with that?

No.
>subtle greatest mana dork ever printed.
v.
>4 mana 2/2 symmetrical effect on the easiest permanent type to deal with in EDH.

Why do people insist on the >stuff on the banlist is equally horrifically broken and if one is unbanned they can all be unbanned - meme?

That's a brutal oversimplification. If Braids is in the command zone and you draw an opening hand Sol Ring, Dark Ritual, etc., you will have her on turn 2, when everyone else is on one or two permanents. If nobody else has a 1 mana removal spell at that exact moment, you win the game.
Braids deserves to be banned as a commander, get over it.

>Edric
>underrated
He's KoS in my playgroup

Sure, Braids is less subtle, but she's the greatest stax card printed for this format.

Don't forget that Braids forces it's controller to sacrifice something too, dummy.

Which commander should I choose for Orzhov goodstuff? I just want to card removal spells, draw cards, and cast some useful creatures. No shenanigans.

Leaning towards both of the partners.

bane of bala ged
some mid tier eldrazi

also that thing is pretty good, who here has one in a deck?

How do you make Orzhov fun? Flicker? Tokens? Drain/Gain?

Angus is Bant. That means he has Prosperity and similars from blue, Rite of Flourishing (and similar?) from green, and all the artifact turbo as well with a good artifact protection/resurrection package in white -- a package that also helps the classic Stax love of artifacts if you go that route. You can run all the Parley effects, which are symmetrical draw. Green and White are good at fogging if Angus misses a beat and Blue lets you nab Cyclonic Rift -- back to your hand it all goes.

If you do go TurboStax, that leads to "your lands still don't untap thanks to winter orb/tangle wire and you'll be saccing them away to the smokestack..." And WG is the best at tokens to feed the Stax effects with.

>off the beaten path
haven't seen one built in over 2 years

>greatest stax card printed for this format
>card printed for this format
>for this format
>banned

works well in Iroas

deathrite

Flicker and tokens get a little tiresome after a few games. Drain/Gain will earn you the ire of every other player. Embrace your inner blackness and learn to love the hate.

Don't forget that you're going to be at least one permanent of everyone else before you have to sacrifice anything, dummy.
The stupidest thing Braids apologists try to push is that it's a symmetrical effect. In any kind of good Braids build, it won't be. That's why she's banned and deserves to be.

Zombies & Enchantments

big Teysa or that new guy from kaladesh

Kambal or Obzedat Ghost Console

Ravos is real good for goodstuff, and tymna is alright. Teysa can be good too if you're building mono-B splash white with Kabal Koffers

I played him for a while, just for the off the beaten path idea. He's clearly meant to be a voltron commander but he's worse at it than pretty much all the others. He's more expensive and less impactful than Rafiq, doesn't have any of the built in protection of Sigarda, and same on both counts for Uril. There's just no reason to play him.

birds
path
swords
swan song
nature's claim
mystic remora
land tax
miri's guile
mother of rune's
preordain and its cousins
burgeoning

there are plenty of great 1 and 2 drops most decks should be close to the ground IMHO

also pic related
fight me fags

the greatest stax card is kozilek because braids is banned

G O D O

>the greatest stax card is kozilek
you are so bad at magic

>for some reason leovold and teeg both really caught on recently in my local meta so i have to put bolt in all my decks

>:(

That depends on what kind of Hillarity you're looking for.

Mizix (or any spellslinger) is good at delivering an often chaotic flurry of action.

BUG Sidisi and Tasigur are both sweet graveyard-filling madness which can lead to you making a lot of insane plays.

Creatureless Narset can be very powerful if you're always trying to combo off as hard as possible, but can be built to the 75% standard where either she's swinging more for value than same turn combo, or else is attempting to execute an unstable chain of extra turns and combat effects that could fizzle and crash down around her head at any second. Secret Tech: Mana Severance.

Esper Artifact Goodstuff has a broad band of potential power and lets you have a wide pick of commanders: Sen Triplets, Sharuum, Sydri, and Breya (who adds red to the mix) are all fair choices. Triplets are particularly hilarious though they tend to get hated out not because they're strong, necessarily, but because some people get really triggered when you touch "their stuff"

For someone bitching about the oversimplification of things, you sure do have a habit of assuming the absolute worst. I don't care about Braids at all, I'm a different user than the one who is sperging out about him, as the new IP in the thread should have suggested. That being said, the idea that someone running Braids can topdeck every card perfectly every time they play is not just stupid but shows how inexperienced you likely are in the format. While it /can/ happen, yes, it's highly unlikely to see Braids on the field on turn two. It's also highly unlikely that at least one person isn't running blue. Or more appropriately, isn't running some kind of low cost removal.

Anyway, even if she does get put out on turn two, it's no different than any other turn two or three lockout. Except, you know, Braids actually penalizes the player for it unlike most of the other cancerous shit I've witnessed in this format.

Go full political autism/fun and have your opponents bet on the spells you suspend.
Have a war profiteer theme, with you "selling" weapons to both sides.

>bring poker chips to the game
>whenever a player ends their turn without attacking you, give them 5 chips
>whenever an opponent deals damage to another opponent, give them that many chips
>whenever an opponent destroys a permanent controlled by another opponent, give them chips equal to that permanents CMC

>whenever an opponent deals damage to you, they lose that many chips
>whenever an opponent destroys Jhoira, they lose 10 chips

Fill your deck cards that can help your opponents...
>Opportunity
>Hunted Dragon
>Varchild's War-Riders
>Hunted Phantasm
>Vow of Flight (and other such aura's)
etc

Whenever a card is suspended by Jhoira is about to come into play, hold an auction. Your opponents can bet the poker chips they've earned, and whoever wins gets to "control" the card; they can choose the targets, and, if it's a creature, they decide who and when it attacks.

Basically, everything in your deck is for sale. Maybe even play with your hand revealed, and so players can see when something amazing is coming up and they'll be more encouraged to kill each other and earn more chips.

The great thing about this set up (apart from how gimmicky it is) is that you can play ridiculous overpowered cards without getting hated out of the game.
When you suspend an Eldrazi Titan your opponents would normally team up to kill you. Under this cheesy system, they'll try to kill each other so they can "buy" the titan.
And when that titan attacks, you're not the one controlling it. You didn't make that decision. Your opponents will blame each other.

In the end, you'll still be playing a bunch of powerful spells and your creatures will still be attacking your opponents, but now it's not your fault.

You're just a businessman trying to earn an honest living.

>someone running Braids can topdeck every card perfectly every time they play
We're talking about opening hands here you fucking retard. You know, the things that people can mulligan? Highly unlikely my ass. There's so much fast mana in this format and so many different ways of getting it that a well-built Braids list could, in fact, reliably get her out on turn two or three, and it is different from the other T2-3 locks because she's in the fucking command zone. Have you ever played with or against a tuned deck before, or are you one of those mouthbreather timmies sucking Sheldon's cock?

Build it then. Stop talking shit and show us what you know, user.

I run my Selvala enchantress deck as a stealth Krond sometimes, using Selvala to accelerate card-draw and build up a wall of enchantments with stuff like Aura Shards/Dueling Grounds/Ghostly Prison/etc to help keep Krond around/active.

what else do you call it, user?

Play karametra in a deck dedicated to animating lands,causing tokens to enter when lands do and other ways of making lands = creatures
"oops its accidentally a mass land destruction deck in some corner cases :^) ").

>call it, user?
Ramp you complete imbecile
there isnt a single stax card in that hand.

i think he's referring it annihilator

>annihilator
this has nothing to do with stax.
Stax are tax cards that were popular in a deck known as the The deck was named $T4KS, an acronym for "The Four Thousand Dollar Solution,"
Trinisphere, smokestax, thalia, winter orb, static orb, stasis, chains of meph etc. these are stax cards

ramping into an eldrazi is not stax.

kozilek ;)

i'm not saying it is, but making an opponent sacrifice permanents is

repetitively* making them sacrifice

no it isnt its closer to removal than stax.
it only effects the player that it is attacking. stax effects are board wide.

>kismet et al. isn't stax

Ok

Mass Hysteria

EDH banlist is garbage.

Aww, did your degenerate pet card get banned? Maybe try playing Vintage instead of shitting up this format.

I play competitive and do not browse Reddit.

YOU'RE GARBAGE!

>kismet only affects one person
what are you fucking smoking?

Could I get some advice for this deck? It's mostly hashed out, but there's a fairly large cloud of possibilities that I could put into it, and I want to narrow it down so I can finish buying cards (without bleeding myself dry, ideally).
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/perpetual-motion-machine-1/