/wip/ - Painting, Sculpting and Converting General

Tabletop standard edition

>Citadel Painting Guides:
mediafire.com/folder/drb4mezm6792i/not_citadel_nothing_to_see_here

>Paint range compatibility chart across manufacturers
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Paint_Range_Compatibility_Chart

>Painting guides, Uniforms & Heraldry books, Painting Videos, Visions, ebooks and White Dwarves:
mega.co.nz#F!Wl5DAbCb!TYxZG4CgX_x-NJu7JBwbZQ

>Painting Videos only
mega.nz/#F!fkcliY4L!mhdmIs2lT3mFG3VwoLO8Qw
mega.nz/#F!XEJSFDCL!9ZZKiLi6M_wguI1uTpyjPg
mega.co.nz/#F!WUsUlSLb!556OumKLhusFd9Fw5dBMdA

>DIY Lightbox
youtube.com/watch?v=OyxzC5kqbyw

>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>Walking into your FLGS like
youtube.com/watch?v=9rx0eqQl8wk

Previous thread:

Havent touched my krieg leman russ in a long while, metallics are about done.

Does anyone have the explanation for how to make those three-leaf clump plants out of green stuff for basing? Yes, I am retarded.

Built my Custode Tribunes.

Left is the FW Ixion Hale model, middle is another one but converted to be a Tribune with a Pyrithite Spear; gonna get the Warders Of Rython color scheme, and right is my magnetized Tribune for plenty of loadouts.

Gonna put the others on bases a little later.

My latest marines, still some touch up but pretty done. What do y'all think

I did my first freehand on the shoulder, did I do it ok?

I layered down some grey like y'all suggested

yellow is a bitch of a colour to get looking nice. your highlights are too harsh against the yellow you are using i think

They look good but I'd personally fuck with the base a bit so it's not identical to the stock Hale one. Maybe remove the rock at the front and cut a chunk out of the railing or something.

Look pretty good, definitely improving. I would do a broader highlight and then wash it with very diluted yellow to tone it down.

Disclaimer: I've never painted yellow

By broader you mean thicker?

people have already called me thicc, I assume they meant my highlights and not my ass

Yeah definitely planning that

Ergh, I feel icky. Gimme a big hug!

Just finished my first batch of Nurgle models. I am far from a good painter, so advice and comments always welcomed. If you can't see, sorry, my phone is the best camera I've got.

And the same batch from the back. They're primed Corax White, and then washed in Athonian Camoshade, and Reikland Fleshshade.

A close up so everyone can laugh at how unsteady my hand is while trying to do eyes.

Post ass for proper evaluation.

Yeah, thicker. Cover it in a wider yellow-white mix highlight and then re-do the highlights you have right now on top of the THICC highlight. Only with regard to the shoulders and other places this works (leave the helmets). Then do a wash.

But again, I only do DEldar so I have no fucking idea if that will look reasonable on yellow models. All of my shit is black -> [color highlight] -> [mixed white/color highlight] -> white highlight (very thin) -> wash of color, but DE armor isn't the same shape as SM armor.

Dear god the ones on the left look disgusting. It's perfect.

Interdasting, I might try that.

Posting ass would get me accused of attn whoring

>Ergh, I feel icky. Gimme a big hug!

Ready in a minute.

It's often easier to precisely not paint something than to paint it. So you can try doing the eyes first, and then paint everythign else around it, covering up the yellow that spilled over. Even better here with a deep recess around it, where the wash will hide a lot of unevenness in the boundary.

We all already know you're a grill though so the butthurt neckbeards will probably complain either way. But it doesn't matter because I was joking and Veeky Forums is a blue board. /soc/, however, is not and there's no rule against crossboard linking

Significantly improved in my humble opinion. If they're not standing right beside each other it won't be obvious the middle guy's a conversion.

Hah, I was joking also.

If I wanted to share muh currves I would.

Tbqh I am just too busy trying to get an army ready for tuesday.

What's on Tuesday, user?

LGS does games on tuesday

Need 1500 points of spess mahreen

That's a lot to paint in two days, I hope it's mostly done already. Good luck though.

I have enough for 30 marines, the remaining 20 are ones I did for B@C using word bearer and smurf colors.

They are pretty bad, I might share them.

I have a full assmarine squad and a chaplain to paint. Going to be close

If you're not going to make it then just do tabletop quality and don't finish them yet. A few shitty highlights will look alright from 3 - 4 feet away across the table. DESU you could probably get away with just priming the chaplain and drybrushing his head and logo thingies lel

Was this an event day model? First time ive seen hale.

If I don'ts make its I don'ts make it.

I suppose now is a good as time to ask as any, what do I do with a chaplain?

I know they are usually black from dawn of war, but what about ranging from chapter to chapter?

I'll try to magnetize him as much as possible

It is the new 2017 Event Only model if I recall correctly.
So far has only been available at the February weekender.

Chaplain Armour is traditionally black with a skull helmet, maybe a coloured pauldron to indicate chapter affiliation, but not much else.
They're generally quite sombre models when it comes to colour.

Note, this only goes for 40K chaplains, the Horus Heresy version can be more colourful, I don't think the All Black scheme was a thing then.

The default is that they're black, as Librarians are blue and Techmarines are at least partially red. Some chapters have minor differences like pauldrons that match the Chapter colours. Given that you're doing yellow I'd just stick with 100% black.

Thanks user! A little druchii violet makes an absolutely horrendous bruise. That was my test model for bigger bruising, so I'll have to carry that across!

>Ready in a minute.
Take your time, I'm patient.

>the actual advice
I'll try that! It's hard to spot over with a wash, well, or so I thought, but maybe the little spilt yellow will just look like off-colored skin. Definitely worth giving a go as well, thanks!

Okie dokie, that makes things easier.

I assume you don't just prime black and call it a day?

I try to make all my dudes HH compliant in the case I get to play. Did IF have chaplains back then?

Look up Mr. Duncan painting some black shit. Or, you can do pic related.

Or, use blue and grey for highlights and do them with a lot of layers and washing.

They already had Templars, you bet they had Chaplains to go along with them.

Finally I'm done with Breath of the Into the Zelda and can get back to painting

I was about to tell you to just use the damn decals but then I remembered GW only gives Ultramarine decals now.

Yep.

It could use some more black definition from over 2 feet away, but it doesn't look too bad I dont think

My dudes so far

Nice, you pulled the gritty but not sloppy look off

blessed be, brother!

What's a good highlight to drybrush over Stirland Mud?

screaming skull

Here is some progress on my Salamanders. I really like how the right marine turned out so far. It is my third miniature and I feel like I am getting a hang on how much I should thin my colours and how much I need on my brush.

The poor guy on the left is my first miniature ever. He looks really bad, maybe I'm going to strip him.

Are there any objections to Salamanders with red bolters? I know that they usually have black bolters, but I feel like red would look nicer and break up the green and black scheme heme quit a bit.

>screaming skull
Lol no, id suggest steel legion drab

as a highlight drybrush?
i dont have any pics of my models handy, but i'm pretty sure thats how duncan does it

Im just gonna ask again, how does wip find the skin of the wracks, what would a nice colour scheme be for those guys?

thats not screaming skull though. Screaming skull is more of an off white color, similar to bleached bone.
context is also needed here, what do you want to achieve?

oh whoops, i thought it was.
i'm not
though, but i find screaming skull over stirland with a coat of 'ardcoat gives a really wet, glossy mud that looks like it's catching the light.

we need some more wip of imperial fist marines in these threads i reckon

imperial fist jump-pack unit?

Worked on this today, Knight Questor being converted into a leader for my Blightkings. I'm pretty happy with it so far, the runes on the ribbons are greenstuffed in, not that you can tell in the photo.

I'm not happy with the black space on his stomach. Any idea what should go on there that's suitably Nurgle-like? I'm trying to avoid swollen stomachs and burst intestines on this particular model.
I'm probably going to use one of the less goofy zombie heads, to top it off, but does anyone have any other suggestions?

maybe a small nurgle icon? Like from the pommel of a spare weapon or something like that.

I can't really tell much, since the photo is taken at such a close range, but it reminds me of Strawberry-Vanilla ice cream.

take that as you wish.

there should be some parts in the Blightking set that should give you a nice symbol to plaster on his stomach.

also, how did you make the corrosion-holes? a drill?

Anyone got a link where i can buy magnets for my ork gits? 25mm bases I think

Elegan/tg/entlemen, just recently got back into 40k after a long ass absence and found a load of unpainted tyranids. 2 questions for you pros
>if I want to paint quite a vibrant colour scheme would it be best to undercoat white or start dark and build up to the colours.
>also suggest a couple of colours for inspirations
Also i dont care if tyranids arent doing to great right now, for me they're basically free and look fun as hell to paint

Nice job.

If you can manage to highlight their teeth i think they would really pop, just a dot of white or bone on each tooth. I find when doing fiddly bits like eyes and teeth that when i make a mistake quickly dumping some water on it with a clean brush and rubbing it is enough to get rid of the mistake. I've had to do that plenty of times with my nurgle.

The bruise you tried out looks good, layering that up will give a really nice rich colour. I find layering it with yellow wash looks really nice too, personally i mostly use casandora yellow, carroburg crimson and drakenhof nightshade for discolouring, but obviously it depends on the base colour you're working on.

where did you get that great unclean one? it looks fucking fantastic, but I've never seen it before

Thanks, he's made out of green stuff and mostly maggoth lord parts.

>It's hard to spot over with a wash

Well, mostly you paint over the excess eye colour with the skin colour, the wash simply helps with the final cleanup.

Probably the best Great unclean One i have ever seen. Love the style of it

i do my yellows undercoating white, yellow wash and a heavy yellow drybrush and a narrow white highlight. smooth, neat and clean.

Thanks a lot. He's in perpetual wip at the moment. I need to rebase him, he's currently on 60mm and i think I'm going to put him on an 80mm base, but he is very securely glued, pinned and moulded on to the current base. I think i am going on have to shave off the sides of the current base and I'm not much looking forward to it so I'm getting on with other stuff. Have a bunch more painting to do on him too.

my current project. Gabriel Angelos.

>blood ravens stealing a primarch
literally made me lol

Yeeeeeep!

Caw Caw motherfuckers

Poking a bit at one of my Crone World Farseers. I feel like she's almost ready for priming.

Think im done with it, mistakes were made but whatever.

Nice. I like the shade of blue and the yellow accent.
Looks very good.

erm. that's a tzeenchian sorcerer

Yep! I figure if the World of Immortal Sorrows exists for Slaanesh, Tzeentch might own some. Perhaps because they didn't want to get eaten.

Not bad. Just keep painting, and you will get better.

>Are there any objections to Salamanders with red bolters? I know that they usually have black bolters, but I feel like red would look nicer and break up the green and black scheme heme quit a bit.
I would say, just do it, after all they are "your" dudes.

dude, that is awesome

looking good. what green are you using for your layer? with my Sallies i went with a much brigher green to make them look a bit more different from dark angels.

paint your bolters whatever colour bud, Salamanders each maintain their personal weapons and armour so you can go ham on customization

>your dudes
This.

I also play salamanders and in my head, since they are quite crafty and use inherited weapons a lot, it is normal that they have a variety of weapon styles and versions. I used red, black and white and pure metallics a lot, and it breaks up the green a lot and helps you to identify special weapons faster.

Very nice color scheme

how far do I go? Weathering is not exactly my forte but trying to raise my game.

Finished my chimera last night, how'd I do?

looks decent, need a closer pic to judge properly

Working on my first eldar tank.
I am unsure of what other colors I should use with this fucking thing.
Like, for the weapons and the other black parts. I'm also thinking of adding some crimson or blue patterns to the hull of the tank, but I am not yet sure if I should.
Any tips?

>The poor guy on the left is my first miniature ever. He looks really bad, maybe I'm going to strip him.

Keep him. Look back in a month, six months, a year from now and see how far you've come.

Is that a recast of Hale - cause if it's legit the quality is terrible for the cost of the model

How about just lighter or darker shades of purple for the panels?

TTS/10

That'd be kinda boring though, wouldn't it?

> purple tank with blue and red accents

Purple bird stronk

More boring warriors! Tried to make the bases more.interesting but I fell like they are still on the dull side. Need to finish the lenses and drill the barrels. What do you think about the weathering?

Forgot the picture

What color is that base coat?

i think, just go full eva, and use green

How do you do the eyes?

Trying to paint a cadre fireblade, but not too sure on the color scheme, i dont want to make it too gaudy. How to get a good bright copper color (Gehenna's Gold specific)? My fire warriors and pathfinders have it very muted on helmets, but i want this guy to be more regal

Those hazards are dope

Vallejo electric blue, then wash with drakenhof shade, electric blue again on half the lense. Finally 50/50 electric blue and white in the end of the lense with a little dot of pure white.

>That moment when you Tau Facebook group has a guy post a page long reason why My Little Pony would join the greater good, followed by a bunch of awful deviantart mashups

Im really starting to hate other Tau players.

Another quick update.

Here's a picture of my Terminator - captain. I also did some shading on the golden parts .

I'm using warpstone glow after a caliban green base.