Flames of War: Changing of the Guard edition

V4 is here and it is weird and different....

also, poor soviets...

Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

what actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

DISCORD
discord.gg/drZbxvm

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/file/ddeo2nkd1qh457i/Flames_of_War_V4_MW.pdf
mediafire.com/file/rjegnpbchl0xgng/Desert_Rats.pdf
mediafire.com/file/72v1be01bzk0url/Afrika_Korps.pdf
mediafire.com/file/qdle47a7m8u9lne/Flames_of_War_V4_EWLW.pdf
mediafire.com/file/i2ho0j4qshfuli4/Special_Rules_&_Warriors.pdf
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I need v4 scans. now!

Just wait until they're up on the app and someone will post them.

>V4 is here and it is weird and different....

You must unlearn what you have learned.

>I need v4 scans. now!

For fuck sake, it literally just came out yesterday.

Have **some** patience.

Played a demo game yesterday at my FLGS and watched two other players use the store's preview copies to put together a full game. It looks fun, to be honest, and not TOO different. I'm just wishing I had more Mid-War models...

>want to get into flames of war in 2013
>buy open fire starter set
>bring it down to club
>nobody wants to play
>finally find some willing to try
>starts off fine but he starts his turn
>begins his movement
>he's reversing the shermans towards me
>can't believe what i'm seeing
>give up on flames of war

so is now a good jump on point to get back into starting flames of war

Mid War is getting completely redone. If you stick to that, yes. Only Brits/Krauts right now.

A new edition won't fix idiots, user.

I wonder why they decided to keep making these in resin and metal instead of going ahead and doing them in plastic? Surely they're going to be used a lot more once they get around to early war.

Oh well, Zvezda makes 'em cheap.

Man, these bunker changes are weird in V4. I mean, V3 they were one of those unusual "very specific exception" type things, but the fact that they're just slightly more resilient gun teams that need concealment and BPC now is odd to me. Like, seems that they can quite easily be knocked out by tanks or whatever, and the fact that your opponent can start with his artillery ranged in on them makes them seem a little pointless even in scenario games.

Also it seems like you can dig in pillboxes to give them BPC which is just strange.

They, like all teams, start in BPC.
So they have a 2+ or 3+ save and if they fail em ya gotta pass a firepower test re-rolling successes to kill it.

BPC?

Oh, even in Meeting Engagements, which is a change I'd not noticed. Makes PSVs worse, I think?

Bulletproof cover.

Painted the Lee out of the El Alamein box. How did I do?

and it can't fix the lack of players wanting to try new games that aren't 40k or infinity

Up the shading/highlight contrast. Some postshading and detail wash.

Could do with a bit more edge highlighting, probably.

Maybe also add some more definition to the tracks?

Went by my LGS to try and get my V4 stuff and they're all out of the free books for damn near two weeks.

Shit sucks.

Although they did have the hardcover and I was pleased to see Italy and Japan get mentions in the nations section.

>Battlefront massively underestimated demand for a new product launch?

>painting a bunch of drab brown vehicles and people dressed in drab brown uniforms
Is this fun?

There's more than just Brown, plus if you're always bored, there's always Snow Uniforms.

If that doesn't work for you, try this.

Great work. I like it.

You'd prefer brightly colored blue and gold?

I actually do play Ultramarines. Good guess.

I was just riffing on the "You'd prefer yellow spandex?" line from the original X-Men movie.

Yes - a lot of the time is.

Good start. Now drybrush all the dust onto it.

The Soviets and Americans had the least variety - they did occasionally use camo, but usually just ran green or olive drab, respectively.

Here's British "Caunter" camo from the desert war.

this event 'so totally happened'.
signed, Veeky Forums

wait, GAJO is out now?
>time, Sunday Afternoon

Dear /fowtg/ Anons and Namefags,

Some user cares for you, remember that and be kind to others... Anons or anybody else.

Cheers

FoW V4 MW Rulebook:
mediafire.com/file/ddeo2nkd1qh457i/Flames_of_War_V4_MW.pdf

Desert Rats:
mediafire.com/file/rjegnpbchl0xgng/Desert_Rats.pdf

Afrika Korps:
mediafire.com/file/72v1be01bzk0url/Afrika_Korps.pdf

FoW V4 EW/LW Rulebook:
mediafire.com/file/qdle47a7m8u9lne/Flames_of_War_V4_EWLW.pdf

Special Rules and Warriors
mediafire.com/file/i2ho0j4qshfuli4/Special_Rules_&_Warriors.pdf

You the real MVP user.

Thank you kind sir

Thank you sir, you are a gentleman and a scholar.

The conquering heroes of italia solute you.

ps.. notice and difference from the leaked versions?

mien graci, avamptour.

i think Eagles-chan should archive the lot of these....

I'll get to it.

I'm out for my brother's 30th birthday at the moment.

Truly the Unknown Hero.

That's what the dude behins the counter told me.

what a fag.

>nvmd, i know it's BF being all behind and shit

God bless you, user.

Zvezda one is Pz2C, and BF resin one is Pz2F. Retards such as me care about it.

>no changes to 8 Million Bayonets
Either they don't think it needs to be updated, or they just don't feel like doing it.

>People on Facebook trying to figure out what the "new" points are for EW and LW.

>Not understanding that there is NO change to EW or LW points.

Jesus titty-fucking Christ... How do people not understand such a simple concept?

Took me a moment to realize that only mid war was getting redone.

>imbliging

I went down to my LGS today and demo'd a game with the El Alamein starter set. I really enjoyed it.

Guy at the store said the game is on a new edition, is this a good time to get started in Flames of War?

The game I played felt similar to a HoR 40k Killteam.

You wouldn't happen to have been at Brookhurst Hobbies, were you?

No, but I know that store. Good place.

If you like what you saw with the El Alamein game, yeah, now's a great time to get started. The desert war (Mid-war period) is getting rebooted, and a lot of previously expensive resin and metal stuff is now available in cheaper and better plastic. While there may be some slight historical accuracy issues that grogs like myself would love to complain about, Mid-war seems quite balanced from a gameplay perspective. It's a safer place to start than Late War or Early War which are being shook up quite a lot by the new edition. Mid-war right now is the perfect place to dive into the game.

Does the game feel the same when played with larger forces? I really like the idea of a small tank skirmish fighting over a town/area.

Does this hold up as the points go up or not so much?

I've only got much experience with v3, and with some of the changes V4's made I can't really state things with confidence. V4 seems much more fluid than V3 was. For tank on tank games, it should remain decently fluid and feeling like a small skirmish up to higher points. A few units of infantry or artillery mixed in shouldn't change the feel too much. If you run into a mostly or entirely infantry player, the game WILL change in feel, but I've seen some groups (such as my own) where infantry are nearly unknown.

As games get bigger the start to feel slightly less skirmish style and more like a larger combined-forces battle.

You'll have platoons of tanks, infantry, anti-tank guns, etc battling it out to defend or capture objectives.

So is it just me or do the Brits in TY not have great AA? Like their ROF is way lower than US and Soviets.

Perhaps I'm asking too much, but how does Infantry work in the game? I assume artillery and other stuff like that are relatively self explanatory, but Infantry sounds like it's an entirely different game.

That also sounds appealing, hmm I will definitely check this game out more.

different dude here

if 40k is a platoon/skirmish game, then the average Flames game is company level. Each stand of infantry at this scale is four dudes (a fireteam), and an average infantry platoon is 6 stands. Soviets can get around a dozen or so with a corresponding change in quality.

If tanks move 10 inches, infantry moves 8 (I think, new edition blues). They typically have 3+ armor and can dig in terrain for negative modifiers to hit (a 3+ to hit becomes a 4+, etc).

Infantry can be extremely diverse, being able to mix in machineguns and anti-tank guns - or just being an unwashed horde of bodies to deal with.

Are infantry in the game for securing objectives and providing some fire support? I'd imagine even a relatively weak tank could still wreck infantry.

It's mainly that infantry play differently. Infantry want to get to an objective, then dig in and hold on like ticks. They're very hard to shift once in place, but horribly vulnerable while moving around. They're naturally inclined to defend, while armor is obviously naturally inclined towards some form of attacking. Mixing some in with armor units allows you to easily hold an objective behind your lines while you push forward aggressively with your tanks, or to serve as an anchor the enemy has to deal with before they can effectively flank you (especially with AT guns backing the infantry up). A pure infantry army relies a lot upon initial unit placement, but can be very difficult to shift.

the answer is 'it depends'. in flames, there's different veterancy levels - means that some are harder to hit than others, which is only improved by cover and the like.

and infantry can provide fire support, although it's really dependent on what book you're using, and what nationality you have. a weak tank can wreck things, yeah - in assault, there are no armor saves. pass a skill check, something dies. combat continues until one side is dead, or someone runs - there's no such thing as 'stuck in combat'.

but, if you have enough bodies...maybe with AT grenades, and a tank knocked out? sure, infantry could wreak havoc on tanks. only takes a roll of a 1 to bail out a tank.

Ah, that sounds cool, like Guardsman in 40k with Infantry and tanks working together, holding objectives and providing fire support.

Are there transports and the like for Infantry or do they have to slog their way up in a game?

There was an user earlier that said how some older models were being replaced with cheaper plastic, but for now, would a couple of those El Alamein boxes be a good way for me and a friend to get started? Any suggestions?

Brit missile AA in Team Yankee has been very effective against my Soviet Hinds.

Infantry are great for holding objectives. They are durable enough to survive a lot of punishment, especially if they dig foxholes.

They can also make a great force for assulting enemy infantry.

But there are other things like pinning down the enemy with mortar or machine gun fire, which are needed to help you pull off a successful assault.

Gameplay tends to be somewhat Rock-Paper-Scissors in that even situation has something that can counter it.

Kind of. You'll get a Panzer 3 and 4 for the Germans, and two Crusaders with a Grant.

I'd buy a box each and trade the tanks in one for the other. Same routine as with Black Reach etc. Gives each of you 6 dice and a mini rulebook. After that, the Afrika Korps and Desert Rats books should be available. Check out what armies they'll have and work from there. If you need to buy something, a platoon of infantry for either side will do the trick.

It's not the best advice, but with the new edition dropping literally 48 hours ago there's a bit of flex room to everything.

Some formations (think codex for a specific Military unit) are classified as Mechanized Infantry. These units will have trucks, halftracks, etc that can transport them across the battlefield.

Other infantry units aren't mechanized, and that means they're hoofing it across the battlefield on foot.

If you're serious about starting up, see if you store has, or will be getting, the Afrika Korps and Desert Rats army boxes.

Afrika Korps will give you a selection of German units that fought in North Africa, while Desert Rats will give you a selection of the British forces that fought against them.

I think i'll play it safe and start with just the El Alamein set, but so far I am sold for this game.

If my friend agrees we'll probably end up splitting the two armies and buying those other boxes as upgrades.

You guys have been great help, thanks!

I want to be a Japanese army(late war), is it strong? Crazy rules and human bullets look so nice.

they are up on the app now

get your free shit from the supplier

Is it me, or the flame tanks, especially Soviet ones, look OP as fuck in V$...

>no reroll of FP when u hit them, the remount is up by 1 only
>not losing ROF while moving
> they hit with AT2, FP1+,Brutal

And only Soviet ones can assault... Imagine those T-26 variants in EW or KV-8 in LW...

V4 bump...

They took a big hit in effectivness against infantry, now they allow for saves, even if they have brutal that's still a save (and 3+/3+ is still good), you could argue that they can shoot more than once a game now but this means that infantry has a chance to react before getting set afire a second time. And also they are now totally useless on tanks (not that they were much better before but still, 0.0001 is still better thean 0).

Playing my first v4 Late War game tonight, we're both going with stripped down lists so we can just limit the number of special rules.

I for one am excited; the rules seem to remove needless complexity without removing depth... my thoughts anyway. Will have to wait till tonight, but the assault rules are a particular favourite of mine, assault in v3 always drove me mad with how messy it was.

There's a lot of stripped out deadweight in V4, but there's a large amount of tactical complexity suddenly interjected. It's interesting, but I know for sure, I really, really, really like V4 now after finally having played a game of it.

They don't hit on their skill anymore, so they're basically fancy MGs.

I disagree with both of you, but you're allowed to have wrong opinions

You can't really have a wrong opinion on something that is purely subjective.

>I like Chocolate ice cream!
>Rocky Road is the best!
>Mint Chocolate Chip!

There is no correct answer in that situation.

It all depends on what you personally like.

Version 3 was a great game, if a bit over complicated.

4th Edition is more in the mold of Team Yankee. Tactically complex without being a complicated rule set to learn.

That was always my biggest problem with Version 3, it was difficult to teach to new players because it was so dense and complicated.

It all made sense once you knew what was going on, but to get to that point you had a bit of a steep learning curve.

>You can't really have a wrong opinion on something that is purely subjective.
that'sthejoke.jpg

Fuck V 4

Improved image

It's statistically identical to Gun Tank. Or are you wanting to perfectly snipe out enemy tanks because they're unfortunate enough to have mixed units?

Fuck my phone too

don't see a problem?

do it again bomber harris

> poor Soviets
Poor french they lost their central fire control rules and the heavy artillery rules

So in V4 the only ones that didn't got buttfucked are the US and in some lower level the germans?

Yeah pretty much oh the birts keep most of their rules

Nobody got buttfucked.

People just grousing about shit changing.

Tell that to my Typhoons, Cromwells, 25pdrs, and night attacking infantry. All overpriced shit now.

25 pdrs and Crommies were pretty overpriced to begin with but as a fellow brit player i know your pain, brother.

Can I play any nationality, other than brits and germs, in MW? Or do I have to wait for new books?

Wait for new books.

US is slated for September. Italians shortly after that. Next up will probably be the Eastern Front in 2018

Would anyone be interested in making a 3.5 rule book?

Didn't Brits lose out on artillery a lot by virtue of everyone getting MT or something?

You mean like the one they released this weekend for EW and LW?

Yes. In fact, our local group is planning on doing exactly that.

What we've considered so far that's likely to get in:
6+ bombardment FP is upgraded to 5+, all others remain the same.
At the Double now gives the enemy -1 to hit you (hit on 3s instead of 4s) rather than double ROF.
Artillery ranges in on their skill and hits on target skill (exact mods to be determined). Smoke unlimited but much reduced in coverage with bonus smoke if going with the wind.
You are concealed but able to see/be seen at any distance if you're within 1" of the edge if area terrain.

Less likely but has been suggested:
Attacker allocates hits, platoon leaders auto-pass Mistaken Target checks (done as TY/V4).
Bombs, Rockets, and artillery suffer +1 to hit armored tank teams under the template as direct hits are needed.
DFS only one ball, not two, and smoke does not give gtg at 8" or less.

No, we mean a good one.

so a project like 9th age except not crap

Generally speaking, what are the most popular armies?

Guessing German > American > Soviet > Brit?

Depends on your local area, for starters.

Yeah pretty much