-----GUILD BALL GENERAL-----

-----GUILD BALL GENERAL-----

>Please Clap Edition

steamforged.com/

Season 3 Rules
static1.squarespace.com/static/56728f72a128e6b1e548ec55/t/5836b3986b8f5ba7a0d3a82a/1479979944479/GB-Season3-Rulebook.pdf

All cards available online
steamforged.com/guildball

Official Vassal Module
vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Guild_Ball

Battlehammer Batrep with new Brainpan and Memory model
youtube.com/watch?v=NsS5-1pxjpw

Da bump. I need to ask something but i'm not at home, so wait for me a bit

Since there isnt really a topic yet, what does everyone think of the new brisket?

> Pin Vice casts Alternator and Controller, Pass to Locus
> Teamwork 4" Dodge
> Move 6"
> Kick forwards into blank space
> Remote Control
> Turn 1 Goal from base line

He seems really fun, and looks like fucking Iron man.

How big the models are? Anyone is willing to post pics of their models? I'm thinking about using them in WH

How can I introduce GB to people who knows nothing about wargames other than Warhammer? I mean how I can make they leave their comfort zone?

correct me if wrong but it looks like that Remote ball skill sounds a bit too strong? I mean the ball is technically "always" in your control as long you have influence, right?

Try selling them on the lower model count and the tighter rules.

Not really. Its only really a threat if its loose, which you dont want to have a loose ball against engis anyway because of mother and salvo.
The other part too it is a that Locus is only a 4/6 move. The play is 6" so he does have a 12" threat but you can block off his 40mil base so its not that bad.

Can you use the skill to "steal" the ball of someone else? or first I need to tackle the rival so the ball can scatter?

>Try selling them on the lower model count and the tighter rules.
give me an example. how much does it cost to assemble a full GB team and how much, I don't know, a decent army in AOS/40K? I'm asking because I'm pretty sure someone will use the "But you have the "start collecting" boxes!"

For fuck sake.

You can buy a six man team for $60-85 depending where you look. Warhammer is literally thousands of dollars. How do you not know this?

I'm not saying for me.
I literally heard people saying to me "but you have the start collecting boxes and that gives you enough for start playing 40K" for example.
also some hard data is always welcome, at least for me

You can literally play GB for free, until you decide you like it. The rules are free. You can print out paper dolls of all the models for play. You can print out the templates. Give it a try. The rules are tight. The game is fairly balanced. And it's fun to boot.

You can buy the Blood Island or whatever is the equivalent for fantasy/40k is now, but from there your cost is exponential.

I want to play this game so bad, but the kick off has two guild I am not interested in.

Is this easier than blood bowl?

they are two different game suprisingly. I originally thought guild ball was going to be a blood bowl clone but is far from it.

Is it easier? no. Is it cleaner? yes. Bloodbowl can be played while getting wasted but if you like strategy and thinking outside the box when it comes to play, than guild ball is better. both have they own audience.

No, in the first line of the ability it says you target a free ball marker. Thats only when the ball is not in the possession of a model.

Like what said. Albeit a little harsher than I would. A full 6 man team would run you about $60-85. A full faction would cost a bit more than $175.

Looking at discount games right now, to buy the entire alchemist faction (i just picked one at random) it would cost you $200~. This includes every model for the faction, a token set, and a tray from battle foam to hold the whole faction in.

For 40k their starter box for space marines cost about $85 and gives you one unit an hq and a dreadnought. You probable want 2-3 more units, some rhinos, and some heavys. Which could run you anywhere from $300- $700 depending on how many of each you want to get. Thats not including any foam or what not you want to get to carry all this stuff.

As far as rules there's a litany of issues I remember about their rules in 40k and fantasy. Admittedly that was a few additions ago but I dont see that changing any time soon with GW. I will say though that gw's stance has always been they're a modeling company first and a game company second.

SF on the other hand is all about making the best game they can. The rules are simple but add a lot of room for strategic depth. If you hit some rough terrain its just -2/-2 move. No double move cost, or taking terrain checks. Just a simple reduction. Combat is also a lot more interesting with how the playbooks work as opposed to rolling dice and just looking for 6's.

Get it just to learn the mechanics, become familiar with the two different play styles, and to hook your friends. For $150 you can have an entire pure team, and for another $50 all the Union [Mercs] I have four teams, plus the two starter lists, and it's easy to assemble [most of the time], paint, and play. Like says, it's literally free as in beer to play if you want.

I'm dowloading the vassal mod now but I am really a big fan of miniatures

Remember once you set up everything, give us a call. I'll be glad to play with someone else who is new to the game

I finally got it going but I need to sleep, is there a place I can meet up to learn how to play the game? I see a "play online option"

Pretty much the same thing I was asking. The best thing you can do is to play a kick-off match with someone experienced in GB and learn the ropes as you play with him/her, making a lot of mistakes and asking about every 5 minutes. That is what I did. Oh yeah and read the fast rules so your can know at least the basics of the game.

Theyre generally slighter than most warhammer models, though some and most newer sculpts are getting chunkier.

>implying BB isn't was cleaner with its square movements
>implying BB doesn't require sound strategy

cmon m8 GB is good but BB aint as beer and pretzels as most would imply.

She seem's good though +1 on a goal isn't as scary as +2 on a takeout really. Like Im still more worried about the current state of Alchs and their ability to win at 2-1

How do you all tier list the teams right now? IMO

>God Tier
Alchs

>Great Tier
Fish, Union

>Respectable
Morts, Butchers, Engis

>Burning garbage fire
Masons, Brewers

>Hunters tier
Hunters

seems pretty good, Morts pre BPM might have also been down in burning garbage. I think Respectable tier are mostly gimmicky teams.

why everyone shit on Hunters? they are that bad?

also
>Burning Garbage Fire
so you're basically saying Kick-off is shit?

I think that is why you get so much extra goodies with the box set

Hunters just don't mesh as a team. they're missing something. they have basically 0 ability to play ball.

too much reliance on bad character plays, some of them (zarola is the best example) have awful playbooks. Theron sucks, and the best player is jaecar but if other teams just kill jaecar now the hunters have no good players on the field.

seenah being 0/2 is also a laugh. i've seen 10 influence hunters teams fielded that can't score to save their life (only with A&G!)

Next question. Why are brewers/Masons bad/crap teams?

Stop shittalking my waifu. She is the best.

Swap morts and Masons.

I can't speak to brewers, but Mason's are fine. I played almost a fixed list hammer team at captain con and did pretty well. The only problems I had were the worst dice I'd ever seen in round three. I made 6 kicks playing against fish. 1 with wrecker and 5 with hammer and mallet. I only made one kick. Guess which one it was...

*Tower not hammer

new balancing for brewers/Masons when?

and don't forget hunters, seriously, i am new to the game, how often does guildball get updated? (also why are alchemists god tier? are they just the best or is there something pushing them far higher then the others?)

Honestly the groupings are pretty close together. A lot more than say pre errata skorne and circle in mk3.

Alches have two very good strikers in Midas and vitriol. They also have vKata who can get 4 vp out of a take out (he kills himself in the process and gives 2vp to your opponent when he does though). This means they can play a very fast game of 2-1 as opposed to everyone else playing 2-2 or 4-1 or even 3-0.

How nessecary is Colossus for an Engineer's 9? Considering starting an Engineers squad, but think Colossus looks exceedingly derptastic.

anyone for a game in vassal later?
a kick off game so I can also learn and get used and practise what I know and how much I can remember about the game.

Brewers are ok but don't score very well. They do have good damage output/KD so its not all bad.
Mason's are a football team with many 4 move models.

ATM they're not as close as you'd like as Alchs/fish are basically a lap ahead of everyone else. Everyone else is close enough tho.
Hunters need their upcoming box with a 2nd captain.

He's really, really good. I tried to play without him for a long time, for exactly the same reasons. But honestly he's one of the best players for the team.

Ratchet is the one player I would consider mandatory, just because he's *so fucking good*. I have literally never played a game without him because he just does so much for everyone around him.
Hoist gets in a lot because he can emulate some of what Ratchet does, except he trades Overclock for ludicrous resilience. He is pillowfisted but makes a good run for the goal.

These, along with Colossus, are probably the most-used models for the faction. I would need to think long and hard before dropping any of them.
If you wanted to drop Colossus, you are dropping some big speed, resilience and general board presence. You might be able to cover the loss with Hoist and/or Locus.

> Pin Vice
> Mainspring
> Ratchet
> Hoist
> Velocity
> Locus

Might be entertaining to try. Works on the principle that once the ball is dropped, it *will* go to the goal.

I think they're definitely strong but its not like S2 obulus levels of bs.

What do you think of the "Watch it played" tutorial vids for Guild Ball?

Remember to update your vassal module so both of you won't be experimenting any sort of trouble like for example not being able to see player cards or something else.

The current module is the 6.5 version

Im still shocked how anyone couldn't see how good obulus was, even more how all the UK groups denied it. That said I think alchs ability to 2-1 a game is something that might need to be looked at especially considering how good their strikers are.

Ooh, a Guild Ball General.

Been working on my models recently. Got some new ones to post.

Was going for a nordic 'valkyrie' style theme for Minx. Seems to fit her quite well.

Veteran Harmony was a lot of fun to paint as well. A very, very nice model. She makes me think of a Wendy's x The Bride crossover.

Mason's have some cool waifu minis, shames theyre kinda naff.

I wish I could paint like you.
should I pay a visit to WIP thread or should I look up for another source for tips and such?

Triscuit's card got posted the other day as well. She looks disgusting. Doesn't do shit except score, though, which is probably for the best...

WIP is mostly shitposting these days, to be honest. There's still some good models getting posted there (and to be frank mine are below average for the thread), but the content and community has taken a radical nosedive recently. People impersonating other folks and claiming their models are the bestest ever to shit on their reputation, shitposting about churches and "tabletop standard" and "look ma ima gurl" and just general garbage. Seems like the whole board is going in that direction sadly.

My recommendation, honestly, is to get the basics down and then just paint a lot. Nothing's going to improve the quality of your work faster than doing it until it works. Obviously you'll want to know the basics, figure out how thin your paint should be ('milk' consistency typically), multiple thin coats, how to layer, how to properly wash (quickly and not nearly so heavily), how and what to edge highlight, etc etc, but once you've learned the basics practice is what makes the difference.

I know the basics. I participated in a small "painting minis" workshop. now the thing is I need victims for my first serious projects. and I don't wanna ruin my GB characters. heh. well thanks for the tip. practise practise practise.

I got a buddy who is starting a vassal league using the big league box with approval from Steamforged. Gonna have a bunch of coaches and shit and register your teams and names and such.

I thought about joining but I simply don't have the ability to. I work all the god damned time.

when you want to play ball with your respective team who do you like to use?

I play spooks and I usually use:

scalpel, dirge, bonesaw, to start with to get my baseline ballhandling, then I season to taste with either cosset and ghast for murder or graves and silence for better ballhandling/utility, although I occasionally throw casket in to either group but I feel like he fits better in the murder team comp. lately iv been using brainpan and memory but I haven't gotten enough games with them to really make a call on them but my gut tells me there's something there.

of all the choices though im sort of stuck on greaves he's got decent kick stats for a spook but he's got some damage potential but he's not the most powerful in my opinion, I sort of struggle to figure out what to do with him at least others like cosset or bonesaw have a pretty clear role to play.

If that's the case then you've got two options. One is to go get yourself some Reaper Bones minis, preferably humans, and cut your teeth on them -- they're cheap and varied and make great practice figures. The other is to just say screw it and paint your Guild Ball figures anyways. They're metal so they're super easy to strip and try again if you aren't happy about them. Or just don't, really -- trust me, nobody's going to actually mock you for your painting at your flgs. Just plow through and keep painting and people will respect you for that. And then, when you've painted them all you can strip and re paint the oldest ones with all the new skill you developed.

I would participate in something like that but I'm more for casual games since I'm still learning. also a league? what's the prize for the top?

I'm usually on vassal, just show up and put up the looking for game symbol and someone will notice

Why are the Masons bad? I am thinking of getting into the game but if the Masons are bad I might skip the kick off box

The Mason's aren't bad, they just aren't OP and winning tournaments like the Alchemists and Fish are. The only team that's definitely bad would be the Hunters, and even then they're still playable just not competitive.

So who else is picking up the Easter LE model when it goes up?

Do people in the world of GB celebrates Easter?

Sure! The rebirth of the sun, the celebration of life, the copulation of chickens, ducks, and bunnies ...

Sure they do. That's why the farmers are going to hit the pitch soon

bump to survive the night

He looks so cute.
it almost makes you forget he is some kind of abomination under that mask that only knows about dishing pain in the field.

This is the most accurate pricing on any game I have ever read. Masons here I come

Have a bump, I wish this general could sustain itself.

Perhaps we should do a guild ball league playing on vassal?

I have vassal and guild ball added but I have never used vassal before.

I wish I could play right now but I'm busy. maybe tomorrow at the afternoon? (only if this place still here naturally)

I'm just starting out and winning be damned, I can't NOT play the faction with a bear. Everyone in the play group is brand new, with our veteran player having four games under her belt.

That said, if I'm trying to at least make people work for their wins, what should I be looking at doing? Are there any less than obvious tricks or synergies I should keep in mind?

Also, I keep seeing numbers like 2-1, 3-1, 2-2... What do those mean?

yah a small league sounds like fun if there is interest.

>Also, I keep seeing numbers like 2-1, 3-1, 2-2... What do those mean?
Goals and take outs to get to 12
Balling teams will usually win 3-0 or 2-2, whereas brawling teams might win more with a 1-4 or even 0-6 tally
Alchemists are the only team that can pull off a 2-1, an vKat can make a takeout worth 4 points.

If your US based and not splitting a starter box look at Gamenerdz. You can get a tournament 9 there for about $100.
Example:
Mason starter
Hammer
Both mascots
Brick
Tower
vHarmony
Rings up got about $98 with free shipping

>Rings up got about
Ring up AT about

Well, beat me. now I have some time. anyone wants to play with a newb?

Anybody seen any leaks for Crucible yet? We've got full cards for two of the three March releases, but nothing on Crucible that I've heard.

nothing has been released yet

this is my waifu

How's it feel having a shit waifu nobody wants to play?

So, what are atucally the Solthecians? a guild inside another guild? or something different?

Yes

were the Farmer's guild already released?

no but we've seen 3 of their cards so far. (subject to change of course)

Fuck your waifu, i hate her.

What makes Alchs so good? I mean I like Alchs mostly by the concept and I thought they would be kind of lame in display. what do I find instead? Alch dominating the league in most places this season.

They play a great control game and need the fewest actions to win a game. 2 goals and a take-out from veteran Katalyst.

One of if not the best striker in the game with Midas, Vitriol is also no slouch. A solid 2" melee mascot. vKats ability to get +2 off a kill means they can threaten and win faster than everyone else in the game.
They have like 9 good models and access to A&G and Harry the top of the Union heap.

Why I've got the feeling a nerf is about to hit and hard the Alchs?

>that ever so tiny bit of spray on brisket's chest.

nice

oh, it's incoming. the way they play now makes the game completely imbalanced.

someone please hold me.
I don't wanna see.

Meh, youre good til season 5
Look how long it took em to fix obby

Really just depends on how well it holds up throughout the "season" I would think vKat is the main/easiest thing to hit.

of course, that is the only real problem with alch at the moment.

I mean without it theyre not that much more annoying than fish, but fish are really annoying

Got two games in tonight. First was Theron vs. Ox, the second was Blackheart vs. Esters.

Man the new Blackheart is disgusting. He got a turn 1 goal, without even popping his legendary. I do feel a little bad about the Butchers game, though. It was one of my opponent's first games and before then he had only played Fish and Alchemists, so he was expecting me to run at the ball and play football and charged right at me instead... Little did he know, in the Hunters vs. Butchers game, the Butchers are the ball team.

It doesn't help that ox is kinda shit atm, unlike the YAAS QUEEN of GB.