>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
>Beyond Announcement

Will Wizards go after megaanon for Beyond?

Other urls found in this thread:

dnd.wizards.com/articles/dndbeyond
strawpoll.me/12511533
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Beyond Announcement

dnd.wizards.com/articles/dndbeyond

strawpoll.me/12511533

>Surely if there are multiple factors contributing to just how stealthy you are at that moment, you should have a greater and greater chance to remain hidden?
As much as it should, advantage doesn't really stack. So what you do is when you get Supreme Sneak you lend your Cloak to another party member, so that they can be sneaky with you.

What sorta rules would you use for jousting in 5th?

Centaur are banned for competing.

No PAM.
Only people of the same size types may compete against each other.

Speaking of, can a centaur be considered "mounted" to use a lance one-handed?

I meant more as in what sorta mechanics to use? What determines if you fall off your mount or not?

I never gave it much thought but here's a quick thing I worked up:
>Both characters roll attacks against one another. If the attack is a hit, roll damage and the one attacked must succeed a dexterity save with a DC of the damage dealt. If the save fails, the character falls off his horse, otherwise he is not knocked off.
I'm sure someone'll come up with something more complex, though.

Roll for damage or dc athletics check I guess. Could do something like a contested athletics check and you fall off below 10 or 15.

probably constitution saves, maybe animal handling, maybe performance to hype up the crowd?

Roll for attack to hit, AC 15 with a contested athletics check, fall off below DC 10 or a contest greater than 5.

Horses are trained for this sort of thing, so I'd rule out animal handling. One could use a con save if they fall off to avoid taking damage.

Depends on the quality of the mount.

Sure. I'd just focus on making it entertaining for the players. Maybe a performance chekc to amp up the crowd, maybe your mount panics, etc. Personally I'd focus on one mechanic (e.g. roll to hit with athletics) and maybe add in some spice here and there if needed.

Does anyone have a decent one-shot or a campaign that'll last 3-4 five hour sessions?

>no /5eg/

One-Shot idea:
>Adventurers hit a town that's overly friendly. Everyone gives them a hero's welcome cause they love adventurers. They explain that the last time adventurers were here, they took over a goblin incursion years back so the town practically respects their kind. In reality, they're all mind-controlled thralls of a goblin shaman and his tribe who lure adventurers to a false sense of security and kill them without warning when the time is right.

For a 3-4 small campaign:
Lost Mines of Phandalin without Thundertree and some of the quests in the sandbox part of the module

And this one:

>Will Wizards go after megaanon for Beyond?

Only if it is to give him a job

I'd make it a con save, fits the image of knights doing jousitng and not lightly armoured rouges.

It's been a while since I went to 5eg, I'm gonna assumed the DMG trove got wrecked by WotC?

Thanks.

Rogues have plenty of spare room for upping con (Since they're otherwise SAD) and getting resilient (Con) as a feat.
And also barbarogue is a thing that often starts on barbarian which gives them con save proficiency.

Really, it should be a strength save.

For a barbarians unarmored feature, how much armor cosmetically is too much? It's the opposite of the "my character is mechanically wearing armor but I want him fluffwise wearing none, ie I ignore don/doff time", so it's not like l'd be getting any benefit from doing it.

I'm interested in playing a zealot barb, but I don't want my holy warrior to be naked. Would it be fine to just say he's wearing a set of chainmail but just use unarmored defense? Conversely, what kind of clothes would be appropriate for a medieval holy warrior/knight that'd be commonly on the frontlines? If it applies, he'd be a worshiper of Heironeous.

I was gonna say str save as well.
Most of the effects in the game that "push you" require str saves.
Remaining mounted in other circumstances often require dex saves but that's more in the case of not losing your balance and falling.
This is some other challenger pushing you back.

Str save.

Why not have him wear a shirt with just his holy symbol hanging around his neck.

>God will protect me. I don't need the armor.

Have him just wear holy garb.

With jousting it's all about hitting just the right spot with your lance against your opponent's shield. If you don't, your lance will glance off or shatter, if you do, your foe goes flying. Idk how much con is involved.

I signed up to the beta. A digital tool is something I would pay for. Hell not having digital books is the reason I pirate them.

This, mostly.

But now that we've got tool user, I barely even check the PDFs anymore.

>Needing digital tools
>Not memorizing every single rule of every book and UA off by heart

>dndbeyond.com's terms of service and privacy policy redirect to Twitch's pages for those

Is it subscription based? I just want to pay for something once.

Maybe advantage on the hit roll if they have Vehicle (Land)?

I'd guess because they're partnered with Curse for Beyond and Curse was bought out by Twitch.

We don't know. We don't even know its full feature set, platforms, if it can be used offline, if it'll have UA content, if you lose rights to the homebrew stuff you put on it--we don't know anything about it outside of it coming out this summer.

>megaanon

Literally the reason why I don't give a shit about Beyond

It's such a good idea that someone has already made it

Partnering with Curse seems weird. It'd be easy to hire some consultants and fart out an application in a half year or so.

They tried that for a 4e-dedicated VTT and it fell through due to that murder-suicide shit. They tried it again with Project Morningstar and it fell through again.

Despite the fact that it *should* be easy, since it's largely just a data presentation and storage problem, it has shown itself to not be that easy. Curse at least has manpower and history behind it this time.

>You can literally get just a band of nerds at your local engineering university to pay you for the privilege.

Last time WotC tried that it ended in a murder suicide.

Oh fuck, I can't believe I forgot that. Watch it happen again. D&D will kill Twitch.

>WotC will kill Curse in a year

I'm ready for the popcorn

>WotC will kill Curse
D&D online tools are already cursed; if they partner with Curse, will they be double-cursed?

>Curse kills WOTC, WOTC kills Curse
>double murder-suicide

>Old thread drops off the page with no replacement
>New thread has no title
This is why we don't drop the ball, dammit.

Like the Armor of Invincibility? I know there is an armor with that effect, at any rate.

I think it'd be good to seperate combat skills from non-combat skills
You don't get proficiency to combat skills by just putting proficiency from a skill there

So,
Passive Perception = 10+INTMOD+WISMOD
Grappling Modifier = 10+STRMOD+DEXMOD
This grappling modifier is used for pretty much most grappling related things.
The 'stealth' skill is removed from the game.
Stealth Modifier = DEXMOD+... I honestly don't know. You could make an argument for charisma modifier for 'knowing how people would act', 'trying to blend in' and 'shocking foes when you surprise them' but you could also probably make a similarly bad argument for int or wis.

Anyway, whenever you gain the 'expertise' feature, you may also choose one of the three to specialize in. You add your proficiency modifier to it - +PROF to grappling, +PROF to stealth or +PROF to passive perception. No, jack of all trades does not apply. You can gain advantage on grapples or stealth still, however, by advantage on strength/athletics or dexterity/stealth respectively.

Athletics still has plenty of other uses and so does perception.

Does this sound okay or does it sound like 'Reee why you nerf X or reee why you make things confusing'?

>the 5eg discord

>'knowing how people would act'

Thats insight

/r/equesting pics of Lake battle maps.

Players are planning on taking a rowboat across a lake, they're going to find out the Loch Ness Monster charges about tree fiddy or else.

Is there anything like a Mirror Spell effect? Like the attack bounces back to the caster.
At least as homebrew or from older versions?

Spell turning.

There's a ring with that, and also a CR 1 beast called a Crag Cat from SKT

Its my Paladin Mount

>Does this sound okay or does it sound like 'Reee why you nerf X or reee why you make things confusing'?
The latter, to be honest. What are you even expecting to achieve with this?

Just let it work like NPC grappling.

Attack hits, grapple instead of damage. Action to escape grapple with Athletics or Acrobatics DC 8 + STR + PB. Saves time and effort.

Hide and shove can work the same way. Hide is automatic with the action, and someone takes a bonus action to find them using Perception DC 8 + DEX + PB.

Who's got a link for the Acquisitions Inc. holiday special?

goddammit homu
now everyone will know about my orksona

Or mounted combatant feat/ proficieny in animal handling.

I hope its free and they only micro transaction you on the DMsguild homebrew or splat books

surprisingly no torrents that I know of

That nat 20 login thing for the D&D beyond beta makes me cringe a lil desu

Just slap a grid over a photo of a lake or something, it's just a lot of water.

It's odd that insight isn't tied in with charisma, but then again charismatic people can also not actually understand other people. So yeah.

The point is that there are some skills that trump others, especially in 'Mostly combat' campaigns, because they tend to influence combats heavily (Determining surprise or used for grappling). This really doesn't feel fair when you could use those proficiencies on something out of combat like arcana.

That might make it a bit too easy if it's against AC, but then again... A contested check was already extremely swingey.
Those aren't really bad suggestions, though. I'll think about that.

What are some quick easy rules for letting player characters do combination attacks? For example, the Sorcerer throws a fire spell into the Fighter's sword before he strikes so that it deals fire damage in a short cone upon impact, or the Cleric infuses life via a healing spell into a Druid's entangling roots to make them spread farther and have a higher save DC?

Damn son those are not bad ideas for combos. I'd just have the DM wing it. The DM shouldnt be coming up with the combos the players should

>fire on a sword
Sorcerer casts greenflame blade on fighter's weapon

>healing energy + entagle
Probably an appropriate metamagic

Is point buying just as 'legit' as taking the spread for new characters?

You can beat the average and spread if you take the balanced 13,13,13,12,12,12 stats when as you are loosing out at total points the more you optimize stats until you max out at 15,15,15,8,8,8.

Rule of cool it.
Give them a DC to hit with the relavent skill, and apply a bonus if they make it. If they fail by a lot, it backfires.
>Set the warrior on fire instead of his sword.

>Reminders that people who use Insight for lie detections are bad DM's

Makes sense but there needs to be some kind of structure so it's consistent. I was thinking hard and fast rules like:
>+1d8 damage or healing per spell level expended
>+1/2 spell level to the Save DC, rounded up
>Applies to an additional target per two spell levels, rounded up
>Inflicts an additional status effect on a failed save, based on the spell level expended, higher spell levels equate to better status effects

I'm not certain what resource martial characters might need to spend to add an effect to a combination attack. Perhaps hit dice or gaining exhaustion levels?

One idea I had as well was that characters would need to spend Inspiration to use combination attacks, so that they're not spammed so much and they feel more special and impactful when they happen.

I know you meant that to be helpful but it's not. Greenflame Blade can't be cast on allies' weapons and is a cantrip, metamagic is sorcerer-only and doesn't involve teamwork at all. I'm looking for combination attack rules that (1) expend resources to perform, (2) require two or more characters acting together, and (3) have fairly simple options, for example picking one or two options from a list of six to ten.

I'm looking for actual rules, not asking players to make an arbitrary ability check and winging it.

How can I optimize my pact of tome warlock? I was planning on using skilled to get all the most common and useful skill proficiencies, I'm taking shillelagh and greenflame blade then eldritch blast and agonizing blast for some combat use in melee and at range especially when tag-teamed with devil's sight and darkness, then taking mainly utility spells for pact magic from there. Does that sound like a decent build structure? Multiclassing is for dweebs.

Well, what would you have?

Just say 'Okay, work it out on your own?'

I think it's fine as an 'OBJECTION' sort of skill that while you can try to pick up on lies yourself by hints the DM drops, you can use it to analyze contradictory or suspicious information and possibly get a hint.

Or are you saying that post replied to suggests this?

Fledgling DM in need of setting advice. What's the best setting for a first time group? Or should I just 'City of Townsville' it and put them in Generica?

Insight is for body language, or emotions and shit

>You notice when the queen mentions the duchess her voice slows down. As if she was uneasy with the information

This can both mean she's lying, or that she only knows this by second hand

>You notice that the farmer likes to roll his r's, much like the inn keeper's husband

Because the in keeper is the farmers son

>The mayor seems to be entirely forth coming, but his when his eyes casually wonder around his town, his gaze seems to dart off the church

The priest holds black mail material

That type of thing

I like using Inspiration for the activation cost. Probably one benefit for each Inspiration spent, so it can be activated with a single person leading, or up to a triple tech or more for more effect. Also, the helpers ready an action to perform the tech. Or it normally takes readying an action and inspiration can be spent to participate as a reaction, spontaneous-like.

Then let's nail down some fair benefits. Not all of these have to be bought; some can be how it always works.
>Change the area of effect.
>Change the defense targeted.
>Change the damage type.
>Increase the damage.
>Apply new or additional effects.

As for alternate resources, barbarians have uses of rage, fighters have action surge, and rogues have sneak attack dice. The rest have obvious resources.

I still think most of the system should be winging it, personally. If the wizard readies a fireball to throw into the fighter's attack to make "Fire Sword" that does +8d6 fire damage to each creature hit by the fighter that turn, consider he's spent concentration, risked readying a spell, and the only actual benefit is attacking AC (dubious) and narrowing the targeting (circumstantial). Using actions gives you a lot of leverage for balanced effects.

Start with generica since its their first time. They wont be sick of "you meet in a tavern," yet

Hmm.

That's honestly a better way to do it, actually.

Insight reveals the evidence, not the conclusion.

No, people who give you concrete answers are bad DMs.

Player doesn't ask to roll Insight? Don't roll. If their passive Perception is 15+ or they have Observant, maybe pass them a note.

Player asks to roll Insight? Let them roll. The answer is somewhere from (sure, pretty sure, you think) they're (lying, not lying). Even if they're not lying, the player won't get a concrete read on it.

Unless the DC is like 15 to get a good read and they hit a total of 25, anyway. I think in that case they should probably get a concrete answer. I usually set the DC about 18, so only that one Druid with Insight and good rolls ever gets these.

>I'm looking for actual rules, not asking players to make an arbitrary ability check and winging it.
Then your homebrew will look awfully out of place in 5e.

Personally, I'd say it consumes all participant's reactions and bonus actions, and has to be attempted in advance - you can't have the wizard throw a fireball then the fighter decide he wants to hit it, they'd have to have their reaction+bonus action open and agree on the course before it begins. Assuming you put limits on metadiscussion, they wouldn't even need the resource cost since players would have to spend their time coordinating.

HD and exhaustion could be failure penalties, though, if it fails, which would also make people hesitant to attempt them but never see the attempt as wasteful. For the example of the Fighter scoring a Fireball home run, there's an inherent failure penalty being that the fireball hits the Fighter and goes off as normal, whereas if he did manage it I'd say it goes off in a cone in front of him of its full radius (thus increasing its reach, directing it and sparing an ally)

Hmm, first D&D 5E game. Made a dorf monk, decided to be cheery,nice and occasionally* get drunk on my quest of mastery of the open palm.

Wake up in misty place, the people I travelled are gone, all that's left is an empty cart and a confused donkey. I go along the road looking for the rest of them, enter a shabby village, and no one's seen anyone, no one has heard of the place we're going, and this dump is called Barovia.

One of three isn't bad, right?

>+8d6 fire damage to each creature hit by the fighter that turn

What if the spell damage could be split as the fighter wished among his attacked targets? A Disintegrate sword would be bonkers otherwise.

> DnD Beyond will likely cost about 10 bucks a month
> Meganon is doing everything for free
Hm-m-m, tough choice.

I don't think "I ready an action to cast disintegrate on the fighter's sword" would have the effect you'd want. But sure, it might make Disintegrate feel good as a combat spell.

Bumping for advice

Giving them money is kind of the point. If business is profitable, it grows.

>Barovia

I actually do let them tell if they seem honest or not, if they know the character well by now, and should be able to identify the tells

Wizards should just partner with Megaanon for 5e tools sets. They would see they've already got a great tools portal in his work.

I was waiting for a Joseph Batten refference, thanks you user.

I remember finding a copy, but it was an mkv file so I torched it and my hard drive to avoid it infecting my beautiful waifus

>on your turn, you can use your reaction to assume a parrying stance
>on your turn

So you can't do it in response to being attacked? Hmm...

Forgot pic.

It has similar firepower to an archer fighter; Hordebreaker instead of Action Surge and Volley instead of Third Attack. Instead of EK or BM stuff, it gets things like Spike Growth (auto-victory against melee foes in many cases) and Silence (auto-victory against magic foes in many cases, plus guaranteed audio stealth success).

Volley has a lot of interesting implications that third attack does not, and note that due to Horde Breaker you can usually get 2 hits on the target.

Its relevant to few games, but Swift Quiver comes online about 3 levels earlier than Fourth Attack, too.

Of course.

That'd work, but I'm not sure if it's necessary. It's basically "you need to sacrifice your reaction ahead of time for extra AC". At least that's how RAI seems.

I'd probably allow to use it outside your turn too, but I'm a lenient DM.

Yes. "Right, and the local lord is a very strict one, indeed. Harsh, but fair. People don't seem to travel very far, and no one ever goes to the mists."

I mean fuck, it's like playing WFRP and being invited to dinner by Whoeverthefuck Von Carstein.

Yeah, it's kinda shit.

So you're saying it has situational archery ability and relies on spells to be good?

And just fuck all those other Hunter options.

New to 5e and I had a multiclass question. If am a level 3 fighter and then multiclass into rogue at level 4, do I still get the ASI for being a 4th level character? Or do I need to lvl fighter up to 4 to get it as a 5th level character?

A question for players: how important is it for you to get new weapons?
Do you feel giddy when the wizard tells you that the sword you found is magical and better than your previous one?
How would you feel if the DM gave you a magical weapon that got stronger over time so you'd probably end up using the same thing trough the whole campaign?
And please no "5e is meant to be played with no magical items". I love getting new gear as do most players.

No. Ability score improvements are class features. Everything you get from leveling up is in the class table for the given class at the appropriate label, with special rules for proficiencies and overlapping features in the multiclassing rules.