EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Sliver Edition

Old Thread (Cross-thread)

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Spiciest win you've ever had?

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/35871/680163-commander-niv-mizzet
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unerf-v2/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-let-it-burn/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-ageless-aesthetic-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gain-drain-with-dj-oloro/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-control-26-01-14-1/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

ROCKY!

>Spiciest win you've ever had?
Last night I got to Conspire a Scapeshift with 3 Valakuts (Original, Vesuva, and a Thespian's Stage) and then cast Splendid Reclamation. All while Prismatic Omen was on my board.

>two headed giant I run degenerate Breya combo deck with an Angry Omnath
>vs Momir Vig and Rhys all the tokens
>shit is going wild
>i'm not getting any of my combos
>finally draw into everything
>drop my commander
>Momir Vig player fuckin swipes her
>back off the bus for a bit
>Angry Omnath keeping them distracted for me
>draw into Sculpting Steel
>drop it, declare my commander because she's still on the battlefield, and then drop my infinite combo
>mfw

and that's why everyone hates my artifact deck. I like it, it's a lot of solutions to a lot of problems.

First for new thread when.

>spiciest win you've ever had?
>Playing 1v1 against ub dralnu control, I'm running kozilek great distortion.
>opponent casts doomsday, don't have the cmc to counter
>opponent passes
>I've got absolutely nothing relevant, but I know he Is going for a lab mac win
>figure I've gotta get lucky, spine my own kozilek, crack LED, draw 7.
>I only have 2 mana left at this point, my new hand is not promising
>then I see it
>play my land and pass the turn.
>opponent is perplexed, but doesn't see it
>casts forbidden alchemy to draw his last card
>casts lab mac
>IN RESPONSE
>PAY 2 MANA
>ACTIVATE MY LAND FROM LAST TURN
>IT'S GIER REACH SANITARIUM
>WIN THE GAME WITH A UTILITY LAND

I will never forget my sweet foil sanitatium beating fucking doomsday. But in all seriousness you guys better run that land. Freak wins aside it can be quite handy.

>playing 3 headed giant edh
>my team consisting of 4 color good stuff atraxa, naya creatues(dont remember the legend) and myself playing nekusar
>other team is oloro lifegain, angry omnath, and vial smasher and kydele partners
>game was mostly uneventful with the board being wiped a couple time and both teams were down to about 40 from the starting 60 life
>only have a few mana rocks out and a lilianas caress out along with smoke and propaganda
>enemy oloro player wraths then passes turn back to our team
>tfw topdeck cyclonic rift with windfall in hand
>cast cyclonic rift overloaded then cast windfall with lilianas caress out
>tfw over 80+ damage from all that discard

this is why I love playing with atraxa and angry omnath players they seem to draw all the attention away from nekusar and draw most of the hate while nekusar just does his thing.

>tfw run sanitarium in my nekusar deck and have managed to finish off somebody with it
It might be one of my favorite colorless lands that i run.

Getting rekt at my LGS. Can a kind user suggest some improvements?
deckstats.net/decks/35871/680163-commander-niv-mizzet

>4 player Free-for-all
>Play Borborygmos Enraged
>Game is getting stale with everyone having a board but no plays
>Put a Nev disk on board
>Convince friends that disk will reset the board and make some plays
>Next turn, draw tooth and nails
>heavybreathing.jpg
>Crack the disk
>Entwine Tooth for It that betrays and Keldon Firebombers
>Friends look at me like at me as if I'm the destroyer of hope

In hindsight, probably shouldn't have then cast Urabrask to swing with the eldrazi.

I am guessing you are getting wrecked by creatures you need some more pillowforty cards and cut some of the bad counterspells like disallow and delay are not great in edh throw is some appropriate pillowfort cards like Smoke, Crawlspace, Silent Arbiter, Meekstone, Propaganda and the like

Should I add some stax pieces to my Slobad build? Or is he best left as combo?

I did the same thing a couple month ago, except it was against a tasigur doomsday player, and I was using Mikokoro.

He was a good sport about it at least. No one saw it coming.

How did you cast Urabrask with three lands?

>Spiciest win
>turn 1 Wheel of Fortune pitching Karmic Guide, Gary, and Revilark
>turn 2 Ashnod's Altar
>turn 3 reanimate Revilark and go infinite
Normally I win with Master of Cruelties, but this was the nuts.

>Spiciest win was with Biovisonary using clones.dec

Do you know what It that betrays does? Read it and then do the math with firebombers.

This card is immensely fun and pretty cheap to buy too

ohh. derp. I tend to forget he's useful outside of annihilator triggers.

>Playing phenax
>getting mana flooded
>turn 4 manage to draw a traumatize
>early enough so i mill half my friends deck
>mill his Praetor's council
>he has something that lets him cast from graveyard so he casts it
>wellfuck
>he now has a 60 card hand and I have nothing but mana in mine
>next turn draw jace's archivist
>start laughing
>he has something that gives all players creatures haste
>play archivist and tap it to make him discard and draw the rest of his cards

what deck do you run
I've always wanted to run Master of Cruelties but right now I can only really shoehorn it into my 5 colour sliver queen deck

You could include some, ya know, ramp. Izzet Signet, Thought Vessel, Coldsteel Heart, Solemn Simulacrum, Wayfarer's Bauble, and Mind's Stone are decent.

And no reason to run Kiki combo, it just takes up slots. If you want an alternative win-con try Labman since that has synergy with the deck.

Also if this is for multiplayer, you want less 1-for-1 effects and more board affecting ones. Oblivion Stone, Nevinyrall's Disk, Blasphemous Act, Evacuation, maybe Comet Storm.

Alesha. You can also run him in Kaalia, but Kaalia is easier to disrupt. She's much more balls to the wall, though.

Alesha Reanimator is really fun. You just keep grinding out value from overcosted etb creatures. She also goes infinite in a few different ways if that's your thing, but that's tricolor for you.

I just hate that it's 7 mana, and if I'm cheating it out with Academy Rector, I might was well just stick with Omniscience or something.

REAL POST 'EM HOURS

>tfw I mull away a Sol Ring so as not to make people mad

I think I might need a few more creatures for this reanimator deck to help trim it a bit but I'm not super sure. Any experts on Sedris around here I'd appreciate any assistance in bettering it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/unerf-v2/

Dunno about spiciest, but the saltiest was definitely the turn 2 Blightsteel I dropped and popped Greaves onto.

My group doesn't let me play artifacts anymore.

Spiciest win
>Playing Mizzix vs Narset and two other irrelevant decks
>Mizzix gets removed a bunch because I'm an idiot and keep playing her out when I shouldn't
>Narset starts doing Narset things
>Enter the Infinite AND Omnicience off the top
>"Welp, gg"
>Other two people scoop
>I look down at my hand, no answers, tapped out
>I have Glacial Chasm out
>Narset player looks nervous, scanning through his whole deck
>No land removal at all and no way to get his library back
>He had already cast take more Timewalk effects
>He decks himself because he can't kill me

The moral of the story is that you should run targeted land destruction

What would your play group do if you started playing borderline oppressive combo decks exclusively

my deck would be banned because of rotation

Somebody convince me to build something blue

Aurelia with a sunforger

Want to share you Kaervek list?

I like thinking of it as Reverse-Enchantress. I pull it out when I see things are getting a little too degenerate for me.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/29-10-16-let-it-burn/

I was goldfish this deck today. It's a little harder than I thought to pilot. Finding the best way to combo isn't as easy as I initially thought. I feel bad playing this deck anyway so meh.

You can go food chain tazri for a tier 1 deck :P

If mono-blue, go with Talrand combo/tokens

If not, I'd recommend Gisa&Geralf for zombie goodness. It'll likely have overlap with Sidisi while being much cheaper and can be turned into Sidisi later if you prefer. The two make for a highly underrated zombie commander over Thrax or Sedris due to being able to [ALWAYS] give you access to your zombies in the yard should they be out on the field, letting you recur zombie Lords easily and set up nasty combos at your leisure.

>go to order Sliver Hivelord
>see it in Japanese for cheaper than it usually is
>oh I guess I could weeb it up
>go to get Hive, Diffusion and Manaweft because last time I played slivers was 2009
>they're also available cheaper in Japanese
>they send me an extra Sliver Hivelord somehow
Time to fucking korosu some gaijin with indestructible slivers I guess.

>counterfeiters dumping shoddy stock on American fuccboi weaboo
To get em, user.

PSA: I've been told by multiple sources that distributors are allowed to offer MM2017 packs to big box stores. This doesn't mean that they will. Wizards gave permission to all distributors a few weeks back that they will have the option to sell MM2017 product to all non-WPN businesses.

Let this be a caution to those considering boxes for $200 +

i wish i could build ghave and titania, but alas, i have not the staples required.

of the decks i have, i admit my surrak and yidris are not up to snuff, i believe

A couple weeks ago, someone cast a Genesis Wave for 10. I copied it with Reiterate with buyback. I hit Basalt Monolith and Rings of Brighthearth on the first wave. I was able to chain cast Reiterate, dumping my entire deck onto the board.

I got a Goblin Sharpshooter and Staff of Domination into play. I sacrificed Anger to Ashnod's Altar to give the Sharpshooter haste. Infinite colorless + staff = infinite Sharshooter. I was able to burn out the entire table before their Genesis Wave resolved.

first step to playing prossh, dump food chain. it's shit. you rely on food chain, you are not going to win.

post your list btw

>I don't understand the rules of cardboard rectangles: the post

Not him, but the Japanese domestic market is more catered towards people who play 'competitive' constructed in tournaments.

This explains, atleast for a bit, why certain 'casual chaff' from the new era of Magic is cheaper in Japenese. Same holds true for Spanish and Portugese printings.

As far as I'm aware nobody has managed to counterfeit M15 borders yet, and I would know.

>dump 3 mana win the game
Name a single card in those colors that could possibly be better than Food Chain.

UGH!

Mana crypt, it helps you get food chain out faster.

>mfw playing elves against three opponents with no interaction
>mfw no one will take the hit of just not casting a spell for one turn so my Duskwatch Recruiter flips and I have to stop digging for Kamahl
>tfw hit Kamahl, overrun 8 times and hit everyone for lethal in one swing

Some players are just bad

You don't play Food Chain to an empty board user.

Reminds me of a game in which a group hug player dropped a Howling Mine and Temple Bell. I dropped a Hall of Gemstone and everyone else was multicolor. He kept activating the Bell. I won a couple turns later with all the extra shit he game me.

He complained about Hall of Gemstone after the game. Showed that he had an Aura Mutation that he "couldn't cast" because of the Hall. He was both too dumb to stop giving me cards with the Bell and too dumb to respond to the Hall trigger.

>Spiciest Win
Playing Melek Grouphug because why not
Have charmbreaker devils, and something that reduced manacosts for instants/sorceries (I think it was goblin electromancer). Was trying to do the infinite reiterate/mana geyser combo but couldn't get enough mana to do so.
I could however, break even with the mana generated.
I swung with the charmbreakers, opponent playing Oloro lifegain 'az himself a little giggle and lets it through.
I then go reiterate/mana geyser for infinite stacks of charmbreaker hugeness and attack his lifepoints directly.

Doesn't win the game without the required impact tremor/purphoros/blood artist/zulaport. Ashnods does the same thing without being as degenerate

>Ashnods does the same thing without being as degenerate
So not the same thing at all?

>doesn't win the game
Infinite tokens and an infinite power flyer are probably the best turn 3 Jund can have, period.

>food chain isn't good

If your purpose of to cast prossh multiple times in a turn, yes. Same thing. But speak of turn 3 degeneracy, look no further than berserk. Better yet, just use means to group slug the table more consistently with multiple routes to said end.

Nothing is good that doesn't win you the game. Only wincons can be good.

Wow. Do you enjoy winning in spite of the fact you know hes a retard, or do you wish you had a better opponent to play against?

Both. I wish I build more competitive decks but I wouldn't have anyone to play against. I also hate group hug so I love seeing group hug players get frustrated. You give me a bunch of extra shit and I end the game? What a surprise.

At 7 and with no immediate board impact I really feel this could and should have said "When an opponent casts a spell" instead of all this once a turn nonsense, or barring that at least exiled until it hits a spell.

Did you have a stroke? That's the opposite of what I said.

Using Alter to cast Prossh maybe twice in a turn after turn 5 isn't even relatable to casting him infinitely turn 3. Please stop fucking talking.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-ageless-aesthetic-1/

Making my first Commander deck, is this worth getting?

oooh so you can respond to choosing a color.
Makes this a little less busted then

Take more advantage of counterspells, being able to say no to their one spell a turn (an effect you should consistently have out) is very powerful. Get some more card draw in there too, and take more advantage of black tutoring.

>2 sorceries
>5 instants
>crap like Karlov among your 10 creatures when you have no protection for them
>wincons are turn delayed removable pieces of junk
>shitty prison pillowfort archetype instead of just going stax
It's awful, and probably among the worst decks to play at a casual table.

>When user makes you insecure about your Oloro-fu
H-how is mine?
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/gain-drain-with-dj-oloro/

Drop Chainer and put in Rune-Scarred Demon
>Necropotence
Nevermind you can fuck off.

Hey user run Volcanic Vision

It's good. Much better in my mizzex, but it's still ok if you're in need of a dual recursion/wipe.

Are you implying necropotence is bad? Because in a deck with 0 lifegain it can win you a game and in a deck gaining life every single turn its even more absurdly strong.

I don't do tutors, so no rune-scarred. I was thinking of putting in ayli or karlov though.

Pretty sure he just hates the card.

>>crap like Karlov among your 10 creatures when you have no protection for them

karlov is fine without protection though, he's a 2 drop after all. i run him in my kambal that i've been testing out a bit and he typically shits out a ton of value with the exile before he eats a removal. like yeah, you probably won't kill people with him but you don't need to, he's a 2-drop that synergizes crazy well with lifegain triggers

on the topic of kambal and oloro

>lovingly craft my kambal deck over a couple of weeks
>incorporate all the stuff i've wanted to do in orzhov, divinity of pride, funny lifegain spells, funny cards like aetherflux reservoir
>start looking for some more tech
>realize that oloro is just an outright better commander in outright better colors because wotc couldn't keep it in its pants in 2013
>feel like shit because feel like i'm gimping myself with my commander

I had the same thing, but I actually switched to Oloro while building kambal, and run kambal in the 99. I've found peace with it.

yeah, well i fucking hate oloro as a card design so i'm not going to do that. instead i'm just going to be mad at the fact that he exists even though no one i know plays him. free value from the command zone was an awful idea and i wish sheldon would ban oloro as a fuck you to wotc

Did you add blue cards when you switched to Oloro?

here are the things that come to mind first

you have very little ramp for your average cmc, consider going to 10 ramp cards unless you intend to have a slow deck

you have very little draw, consider going to 10 draw cards, you are in black/blue after all

i'd say you're also running a few too many big creatures. noxious gearhulk seems like an inefficient use of mana. maybe run more noncreatures instead.

I tend to have an excess of card draw mid-late game, so I don't think I'll put in more of that, but I have been thinking of putting in all the signets in my colours, thanks user.

Also, last week I hit a 124/124 consuming abberation with the gearhulk and sanguine bond on the field, so he's never going out, he's my baby.

Is it Oloro deck posting time?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/oloro-control-26-01-14-1/

Here's mine.

Well of course, blue gives access to some cool cards, not adding them would be stupid. Also, casting Oloro can be a pretty good move some times.

If you have him on the field with multiple sources of lifegain the draw can be pretty crazy.

well, if you're adding ramp like i suggested, then you're going to burn through your cards faster and thus you will need a bit more draw to maintain card advantage.

my kambal deck has 14ish cards that give card advantage but with 10ish ramp cards it still burns through cards like crazy.

oh i actually forgot that oloro himself gives card draw on the battlefield, i forgot what a funny commander he is. lets all applaud wotc for providing us with a funny commander that does something by not existing and by providing card draw by existing. good job wotc you pandered to edh players

Looking through your list at a glance my thoughts were as follows
>holy shit 37 lands, fucking cut Rupture Spire dude
>half-decent creature base
>other half is this dumb life gain theme
>does this guy have any wraths? nope just two
>swords but no path, Anguished Unmaking with no Vindicate
>cryptolith fragments instead of literally any other rock
It was at this point that I began to notice a pattern, mostly because I was looking at it on mobile and would've had to scroll for like 10 seconds to see the chart. Probability-wise within your first 10 cards you'll likely see only a single card below 3 mana, with only two or three cards after digging 20 deep. Notice that your deck has like no fucking draw engines that will dig you that many cards in a reasonable amount of time except Rhystic.

So in summary, pick up Path, Ponder, Preordain, Vindicate, Fellwar Stone, Phyrexian Reclamation, Tragic Slip, Day of Judgment and some two-drop creatures in your colors that do neat shit, I could list a million.

Cut Cliffhaven, Emissary, Defiant Bloodlord, Daxos, Shattered Angel, Cryptolith Fragments, Sanguine Bond, Ivory Tower (if your hand is ever that small you either have won or have lost, that life gain won't matter).

t. not shit user

>he has a fucking Moat
>but couldn't shell out for a foil Sol Ring or Consecrated Sphinx

>implying those aren't in my other deck

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/niv-mizzet-the-firemind-16/

I'm getting an expedition sol ring next week, so I'll be putting it in this deck and putting the FTV in Oloro.

Still rather get a judge promo sol ring, but nobody here has one of those for trade and I'm not gonna buy it.

You'll be getting Toxic Deluge soon too then, now that it has a foil printing right?

>Foiling out a deck when you could buy 1-3 more decks with that money

Yeah, I'm working on it. Top priority now is for a foil Gaea's Cradle for my animar deck.

I already have over 10 edh decks, why would I need more? I've even started taking some apart since I rarely get to play with them.

What kind of 2-drop creatures that do neat shit are you thinking of user?
I'm not cutting sanguine bond since the deck's theme is gaining and draining, and I don't want to turn it into bland pillowfort or control.

I appreciate the rest of the advice though.

How does Narset didn't had at least Armageddon? Incompetent idiot, Christ almighty.

Also he should have Elixir at least, to recycle casted Tiome Walks and shit.

>Portugese printings
>mfw foreigners can get cards in my language cheaper than us in the damn country with most speakers
Fuck this damn local economy

Last week with Jeleva:

>Saskia, Erebos and me on a 3-man pod
>Saskia mana screws from the start but Erebos ramps like a motherfucker
>cast Jeleva with no haste outlets, exile nothing important
>Erebos kills it anyway
>draw Swiftfoot Boots, cast Jeleva again
>Praetor's Grasp from the top
ohboy.jpg
>cast Boots, go for Erebos and exile his Newlamog
>not knowing wtf to do, Erebos desperately digs for answers and wraths table thinking the trouble are the other spells I had under Jeleva
>my turn comes up, Newlamog his Coffers and Necropotence
>he had 25 cards in hand and no Reliquary Tower
>motherfucker still tries to fuck me up casting Newrakul
>can't do shit, no important spells in hand
>extra turn comes up, draw Mizzix's Mastery
OHBOY.jpg
>overload that shit
>Twincast, Reverberate, Geistblast, Reiterate on grave besides a lot of utility spells and the cherry on top: Sorin's Vengeance
First time I actually overloaded Mastery too, gotta love wacky spell shenanigans

It's not something you build a strategy around, but I don't find 7 too unreasonable in a control situation. Its biggest problem is probably going to be competition with other, more reliable effects for limited slots in the 6+ bracket. If we took it back to the EDH of 10 years ago, say if it was printed in Time Spiral or Rav 1, it would probably be one of THOSE cards that maybe most people don't use anymore but everyone remembers as one of the common plays when the meta was "you can hardcast Time Stretch and might still not win off it"

Jace VP, Ajani's Pridemate, Ayli, Spellskite, SFM (to grab a Batterskull), Nether Shadow, Eight-and-a-Half-Tails, Manakin, I could keep going but they make websites for this.

So could this be considered secret tech for anyone? I just found it and thought it was neat.

Are there any good permanents that help you control the board in BW colors (without it being group sluggy)? I'd like to have more control stuff in my deck, but I don't want put myself behind in the process. Something like Aura Shards but obviously in BW colors

weird request probably

No the colors of removal do not have that.

exciting shitpost senpai