>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
Weekly Art Edition
What's your favorite piece of art from fifth edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12519777
yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Dhole
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

If you're already wearing armor as a Monk, why not just use a fucking weapon?
>hi im a fighter who can bonus action dodge, run up walls, stun on hit, use evasion, and slowfall

strawpoll.me/12519777

Primeval Guardian seems awesome but trees are lame. What's some other ideas on what I could turn into? I was thought about a Golem but that's not cool.

Where's the option for "3E or earlier Paladin"?

Even the mechanics are all about literally becoming a tree, though.

Oath of the Crown will always be the coolest, even if it is weak.

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
FLUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUFF

In /3eg/'s strawpoll.

It's called refluffing. Tell me one ability that can't be.

Don't be a tree, be a cool pseudo eldritch giant entity of phellogen and bast.

I've gotta go with Treachery. It's fun.
Ancients is great too, though.

There are people who like 3e's paladin?
Was your favorite part how all you got after level 5 was another use per week of cure disease every couple levels?

Vengeance, for the Witch Hunter feel.

Giant spooky tree with a whip fluffed as a noose.

Because lizardfolk can get 1d6 bites on Flurry of Blows, which you're going to be using anyways. You can still use a weapon then too, if you're really insistent about that +1 average damage and -4 style points or a handaxe for maximum Soul Calibur and also a throwing range. Also, bonus actions to bite until one actually connects and gives you thp, which is a pretty good substitute for martial arts.

Paladins are the shield of the church, bro.
5E guys who just wanna do big numbers with greatswords and wank themselves off about how they can get away with anything and never violate their oath because "hu hu I justified it in some stupid way" are wannabe Crusaders, not Paladins.

Kobolds are pretty great

You could talk Tavern Brawler, too.

what would be an interesting class to play a goblin with? i was thinking barbarian. go shield+rapier and tank shit. prefer not to multiclass but rogue might be good. disengage would be good for getting out of melee when you're too low to be fighting, or to reposition without tanking OAs.

So is armoured Monk a meme or can it be done? I've got a hard-on for high defence, thick armour and Unarmed Attacks.

Bugbearmont.
>you become a giant bugbear who's so heavy he's stuck in place
>but he's got amazing reach

Eeeeeh. All you lose out on by wearing armor as a monk is martial arts, unarmored movement, and the monk AC calculation. So I mean it CAN work, but you'd probably be better served doing something else (taking Tavern Brawler as a fighter or barbarian, for example).

That's a problem with players, not the game.

Except for the part that you're apparently unhappy that paladins are actually good now.

What's a creature that's incredibly tough but so rigid that it can only move 5 feet a turn?
That inflicts additional piercing damage when attacking a target?
That's capable of disrupting the ground around it and transforming the nearby area into difficult terrain?

I don't know, Primeval Guardian is all about being a Primeval Guardian by, you know, transforming into a tree. You can't just refluff it, a whole bunch of the mechanical abilities have to do with the fact that it uses lots of nature magic and transforms into a tree.

It would be like playing a Pyromancer Sorcerer and then going 'You know what, I'm refluffing this so I'm a cryomancer instead.'

Has anyone run any of these guys against a party?

Minotaur who turns into a giant Bull monster. Cast longstrider after transforming and abuse your ability to attack after dashing.

I am currently doing it in SKT. Fighter 1 / Shadow Monk 6. Got full plate, a shield, warhammer, and the Defense style.

It's breddy nice teleporting 30 feet over an enemy, floating down at them, and clobbering their skulls with advantage warhammer attacks to stun.

You would be a better shield of the church as a lawful good fighter than that steaming pile of shit.

Is there an Orcpub that actually works?

>>'You know what, I'm refluffing this so I'm a cryomancer instead.'

You have to be retarded, that's generally considered a perfectly fine thing to do on Sorcerer's, unless it's AL. Refluff literally makes no mechanical difference in this case, it's saying I turn into a giant rock man instead of a giant wood man.

>It would be like playing a Pyromancer Sorcerer and then going 'You know what, I'm refluffing this so I'm a cryomancer instead.'
I fail to see the problem here.
>change every instance of "Fire" in your features to "Cold"
>all the Fire spells that Sorcerers get are now Cold; Snowball, Chilling Bolt, Freezing Hands
There is absolutely no issue with this and IF ANY ONE OF YOU FUCKERS STARTS UP ABOUT "OH BUT FIRE IS A TERRIBLE DAMAGE TYPE AND IF YOU CHANGE IT TO COLD YOU'RE GIVING THE CLASS A HUGE BUFF" YOU ARE A FAGGOT AND CAN GO SHOVE YOUR SHITTY WRONG OPINIONS UP YOUR ASS AND TWIST 'EM

That's not just refluffing though, that's actually changing the mechanics of the archetype to suit your needs.
On the other hand, transforming yourself into a giant rock man is one explanation. Although you'd still need to justify some parts of the spell list.

>exchanging one utterly interchangeable and meaningless classical elemental damage type with another
heavens forfend, user

>What's your favorite piece of art from fifth edition?
monkfu

>Entangle
Loose rocks and gravel go flying everywhere and everyone's feet get caught under them.
>Conjure Animals
They're rock animals now.
>Giant Insect
It's a giant rock bug now.
>Inect Plague
Pebbles fly around and beat the shit out of everyone.

This shit ain't hard.

>Conjure Animals
Why is it still a beast?
>Giant Insect
Why is it still a beast?

Had a guy who wanted to play a Fire Cleric but he didn't like Light being all blasty. He preferred the melee style of Tempest instead. So we changed all his Thunder damage to Fire and all his features key off that. Worked great.

Because you're animating it to act like one as a frame of reference.

It's a fantasy role-playing game, use your imagination.

Who cares and it doesn't matter.

Because "beast" is a classification type so you can't summon more powerful creatures, not a literal beast.

Here's the kind of DM who's never managed to run a group through more than six pages of Curse of Strahd because the moment the party wants to do something the adventure doesn't lay out for them, he's completely at a loss on how to handle it. He's never put a creature in his games that wasn't in the MM, and their stats are always identical.

that sounds pretty fun. way of the long death could be fun too. go a couple more levels of fighter for ek and you can be pretty hard to kill. 1 ki to survive death, tons of temp hp , 21 AC with fullplate+shield+defense style. cast shield against certain enemies, absorb elements against magic.

Your PCs fighting an awful lot of NPC Forest Gnome Rangers with Favored Enemy Beast who are trying to talk to or kill your Rock Ranger's summoned rocksquirrels in the middle of combat?

Who are you kidding? he's no DM, he's a player and an abysmally bad one at that!

Not , but why is this bad and how to fix it? I feel like I'm doing the same thing.

for balance reasons, they still accept the call to other natural forces trying to take control of them. they are, in of themselves, made of primal magic and thus said magic would inherently be able to interact with it.

Except a creature made from stone would have resistances and immunities that a creature made of flesh and blood would lack.

I'm not against refluffing in cases where it makes sense, nor am I against changing the mechanics of a creature or a class and making something homebrew out of it. This has turned into an argument over semantics, where you're trying to refluff one thing as another with no mechanical changes when that makes very little logical sense.

If you want to change the mechanics, go ahead. Just admit that you're changing the mechanics and creating homebrew. The rules aren't sacred, so just admit that you're changing them instead of refluffing things to the point that they stop making sense.

How do you guys run goblins?

Just improvise, think on your feet, not everything requires monsters to fight or a NPC to talk to. If they want to explore a place the book doesn't have anything for, say sure, and describe it using this wonderful thing called imagination. It doesn't have to have treasure or a dungeon or any monsters, it could just be a place where adventurers that have failed in the mission stopped before heading into Strahd's castle, and left graffiti behind, use your imagination, thats all.

If you are unable to do that, I feel bad for you and worse for your players.

What are some cool/unexpected monster abilities like Remorhaz Heated Body for high and low CR monsters?

It's magic, just say they're shitty rock creatures who aren't as good as other ones.

It's literally just flavor, relax.

Isn't the point they're making that they're not changing mechanics and more just changing aesthetics.

At which point I don't think they care enough to fuck with resistances and shit it's just for the benefit of the scene and style.

Because the MM was written by people with a shit concept for balance and if you follow its rules exactly you're just going to make laughably easy fights or ass-stompingly hard ones. There is no appreciation for the action economy or the various levels of power of certain abilities, resistances, and damage doled out by creatures of a given CR.

As for adventures, stuff like CoS is highly curated. The adventure makes a lot of assumptions that the party will do X or Y. To advance the plot you must be in this location with this item. It tries to predict a few situations (you might give this item to this other guy instead), but it can't possibly anticipate every bone-headed or legitimately brilliant move a party might make. If you as the DM can't adapt to this, everything either falls apart or you railroad the party back on track, which is both immersion-breaking, agency-ruining, and shit storytelling.

The key to D&D is I M P R O V
Improv everything that happens in even written modules, and improv the final stats of every creature in a fight. Obviously, if you know bandits are going to attack the party, have some fucking bandit stats written down on a sheet of paper before the game, but don't feel beholden to use any of the shit the MM throws your way. And if your party is making mincemeat of these fucking bandits, maybe they now have crossbows that nobody bothered to check for earlier and they're running away and taking pot shots. Or if they're completely slaughtering the party, maybe their HP is a few points lower than anyone realized, because the only one they killed earlier was massive overkill.

The point of the game is to tell a story, not set up a bunch of numerical traps in the way of the party and hope they can die roll their way to victory over them. You gotta be willing to fudge for the sake of the narrative, though mostly only in one direction (NOT slaughtering the party). If you need to make shit tougher, the solution is reinforcements.

Changing fire to cold isn't that though, that was a stupid example but the only real change there would be a resistance to normal weapons, and low heat fire, woo such homebrew.

Are you literally trying to powergame a monster by saying that it's made of stone so it automatically has those benefits?

There are literally dozens of MM and Volo examples that disproves your point.

>this has turned into an argument over semantics

The only one arguing semantics here is you.

Flail Snail (CR 3) has this.

So it's a shitty collection of pebbles in a vaguely chipmunky shape. You can punch a pile of pebbles apart. It's not a fuckin' piece of solid granite.

Stop being wilfully dense.

I cast Poison Spray on the rock animals and rock insect and watch the animated stone constructs succumb to poison, then.

If that's the sort of thing you're okay with in your games, then go ahead. Just saying, I know a few players who would be put off by that.

Crag Cats turn spells back on the caster or some shit, and they're just fucking snow leopards.

I had a Tanarukk lead a necromanced orc army from behind. It as cool

Into mass graves.

Because the rocks are calcium carbonate and the poison began dissolving them, dipshit. Learn some geology and chemistry, fuckin' A.

You might be right about how d&d requires improv and how curse of strahd isn't built with extraordinary player creativity in mind, but the rest of your post is bullshit.

Rude

"Hey DM, mind if I become a rock dude instead of a tree dude, and summon lil rock dudes instead of animals?"

"Sounds good, just keep in mind everything's the same crunch-wise."

"Fukkin sweet."

It'd just be fluffed in thr same way as posioning the soil that disrupts the magic keeping them healthy.

So you're roleplaying the Primeval Guardian of Limestone?

That's a bit of specific niche.

Fudge is love, fudge is life.

I honestly feel like I improv a lot of the stuff in Strahd, unless it specifically says otherwise. I especially don't know in what direction to modify some monster's stats, if at all 'cause it seems fair. Other than that I've just been going by the book.

I just hope I'm not shitting my fucking pants as a DM.

nah underdark, baby! lots of limestone there!
Are your players having fun?

Just saying, sometimes that doesn't always make sense.

Bro, roughly 8% of the surface is made of limestone. That's more coverage than "fucking trees".

SEDIMENTARY STONES MATTER

Anti-Gnomes

Curious and Inventive to the extreme, but without the innate gifts of knowledge. They enjoy taking things apart, but aren't smart enough to put them back together.

>Sense needed for D&D in any edition
Are you new?

When is Wizards going to write up the stats for a Dhole?

Not always needed but sometimes wanted.

Absolutely! They've been making really "strange" (dumb) decisions regarding alot of the plot stuff, but they genuinely have a fun time playing the campaign. They do seem to balk and avoid the horror elements though.

You must be stupid because that's the single best character I've ever heard.

I like it. Have a drunk angry gobbo

Normally I hate Goblin art but I love that picture. Maybe I'll play a Goblin Ranger next.

>dhole
that wild asian dog or is it a fox?
then you're good, but now you have to train them to be smart, but not necessarily to follow rails, or just run with how they like things, stupid can be fun, although only in moderation.

Do it man. Goblins are weird.

Neither, Dhole:
yog-sothoth.com/wiki/index.php/Dhole

>underdark
>limestone
The Underdark doesn't make any sense and it can't be a limestone cavern or the whole fucking mess woulda dissolved by now. The fact that the whole place hasn't flooded is fucking God fiat because it's below the water table and actually goes under the ocean in places. Any hole that it ever sprung would eventually fill the whole mess. It gets even worse when you consider that Drow have been down there since a time when most of northern Faerun was covered by snow and ice, and glaciation pressure would have driven the water straight into those caves and drowned everyone and everything for good.

Purple Worm

Got any more with those black eyes? Something about that makes me love them.

Where is pic related from?
The D&D Beyond beta?

I think this is all I got

Yes.

Would there even be any balance issues if you let Sorcerer cast Wizard spells?

Still no rituals though.

I never stated it was only limestone, just that I'm sure there are a lot of limestone caverns down there, and sense is not needed where magic exists, in D&D magic does exist.

Not enough to make up for the Sorcerer sucking shit compared to Wizard in realms other than spell selection.

Goblins, gnomes, and kobolds in my setting are all rolled into one race based on pic related. Small creatures that like living in dark burrows and can sniff out metals, which they need a lot of in their diet. They're adept at stealing things, especially ideas, and their few claims to fame are inventions that they pioneered and others refined. While they normally have an outlook of caution as they need to make clever use of their resources to survive, that often goes out the window when a lick of an idea that could propel one to power arises. They use a lot of salvaged patchwork metal, tech, and magic, and mostly live as raiders and pests, though recently an expansive human empire has officially embraced its kobold inhabitants for their efforts in its wars, and built them their first city, which is in a constant state of destruction, rebuilding, and modification.

The Underdark is fine as a magic place due to either Torog or simply elemental weirdness, but honestly I find the idea of a non-connected underground realm more compelling, so that each dungeon or cavern network is basically its own thing.

I don't even really let them. Shit's scary and they complain about how "everything can kill us". Like no shit it's fucking Ravenloft.

One of my players thought the Sunsword would be in Strahd's castle on their introductory visit to the castle, and questioned me as to why the visit basically felt like a waste of time. They were invited at 5th level both for plot and that Strahd is just toying with them as "honorary guests". Point is, Castle Ravenloft isn't a fucking treasure house and you aren't supposed to kill him yet.

Campaign I'm running just took a small turn into the underdark. Any fun stuff to do while down there besides get your mind eaten?

Does anyone have experience playing a battlerager barbarian? I was considering playing one but the abilities feel so underwhelming. 3 damage reflected from attacks and when grappling others at higher levels sounds so insignificant

Almost everything down there wants to kill you; such as Duergar, Drow, and all the monsters. But with some bribery you could station in their towns and hunt for all the cool magic items you can find down there.

Look, kid, even magic makes sense when you get down to the nitty gritty of it all. There's rules and some bitch goddess looking over all of it, making sure it runs well. Wizards might do some absolutely crazy shit with it, but it's all quantifiable by design.

Underdark's just got a bunch of fucking Elf Gods propping it up and that's all there is to it. You wanna know some real fucked up shit about the Underdark? Let me tell you about how there are Drow all over the Underdark of OUR planet's extradimensional twin, Abeir, despite Drow not being created HERE, on Toril, by Elf Gods that don't exist on Abeir, AFTER the planets split.

Fuck the whole thing. We need to collapse it and sort that mess out later.