>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:
Eternal Art Edition
What's your favorite piece of art from fifth edition?

Other urls found in this thread:

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/840251250612432896
dndbeyond.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Is it too much to ask for to be able to play a non-monk fist fighter that just wrecks people with violent punches and kicks?

I want to be a tough punchy dude.

Not at all! The Pugilist on the DM's Guild (lost the file itself, sorry) is exactly what you're talking about.

Homebrew Reee!

I feel that way, but at the same time I don't know what else to recommend.

DM's Guild Pugilist is shit. I've ran it, everyone says it's great, but it's pretty much garbage on every aspect, including mid-to-lategame scaling.

>Is it too much to ask for to be able to play a non-monk fist fighter that just wrecks people with violent punches and kicks?

>I want to be a tough punchy dude.

Ok, so you want to fight unarmed and do as much damage as people with weapons. Cool, there's a class for that. But you don't want that class? Ok, there's an option in the DMG. But that option's not great? Ok, homebrew time. It's not "too much to ask," but when what you want is already covered by the rules and you still want something different, you gotta make up your own rules.

Got a player in my game who wanted to play a rogue. I'm like, cool. A rogue min-maxed for charisma. Yeah, that can work, not ideal; I mean, better to have your CHA bonus be one less and get the DEX up a bit, but... A rogue min-maxed for charisma who's so charismatic that they produce magical effects. By singing, or playing music. You mean a bard? Not a bard. A magic music charisma rogue.

So I homebrewed up a bard equivalent of the Arcane Trickster rogue path, seems to be working pretty well.

Is the new UA coming out today, or are they gonna come up with another excuse?

Today is most likely Mystic v3, according to Mearls

Comes out it's not the fucking Mystic..... again ... it's a useless piece of crap .... again.

>Ok, there's an option in the DMG

there is?

Oh boy, can't wait for UA: Adventuring Food.

I sperged the fuck out two weeks ago when Traps came out. Like I went fucking insane. I like to think that I've been jaded by now, but maybe I'll still be insanely pissed when it's not the mystic.

I don't even want the Mystic, I just wanted something more interesting than traps.

when did he say this?

On his Twitter

I'm gonna need a link for that

twitter.com/mikemearls/status/840251250612432896

Only time will tell if Mike is continuing his 3-month run of bullshitting.

>DMG
>Dungeons Master's Guild

What do you guys think of the dnd beyond teasers?
dndbeyond.com/
Is there any possibility it'll be worth it or is it just a cash grab?

When people say DMG they tend to mean Dungeon Master's Guide.
If you're talking about homebrew, just call it the DM's Guild.

>mfw /5eg/ will be cucked out of Mystic again

>average walmart customers

I think it'll be useful, just probably not for the kind of people who post here.
I've signed up for the beta and sent my players links just to check it out though.

No one should be able to get away with this kind of teasing.

>mfw I don't want mystics to come out ever because they're just shittily-disguised psionics and psionic bullshit can stay in scifi and Pokemon where it belongs.

I never really understood mystic hype or why so many people want psionics.

Question: What makes psionics/the mystic such a big draw you you? What is it about them that feels different from being a spellcaster for you?

I don't even like or want mystic, but I'm still angry, because it's been promised for months, and (((Mike Mearls))) is blue balling us again and again.

I have always liked the concept of mind powers and telekinesis in games like XCom and Fallout. Its just a personal favorite superpower that I want to see duplicated in D&D and the caster classes really does not do that for me.

Psionic literally appeals to faggots who want to have magic without actually having magic for whatever reason, especially in low-magic settings.

There's also a huge number of faggots who wank themselves off to MUH DARKSUN setting, even though it's overhyped grimdark post-apocalypse edginess.

I don't mind psionics as long as they explicitly tie it to Far Realm.

Psions can just the result of Mind Flayer/Aboleth shenanigans

So the latest Acq Inc mentioned a device or something called a Soul Monger. It appears to prevent resurrection, and is slowly killing everyone who has been raised before. Is this a callback to something in D&D's history? What would be the fallout if something like this started happening in your setting?

I have never played a game with ressurection to begin with. I kinda assumed this was a widespread practice outside of stuff that's literally meant to be videogamey or super casual like Adventure League games.

>Soul Monger
...soul merchant?

You assumed wrong

I don't get the psionics = sci-fi people. Psionics have pretty much always been magic, even if some sci-fi settings try to make it science-y with technobabble. It's supernatural power based off of concepts that don't really exist in the real world - definitely a lot closer to magic than science.

Why would you guys ever play a setting where resurrection is a thing? It completely sucks any sense of tension or actual stakes out of the campaign. You might as well be playing a videogame with gold in place of one-ups.

Shanenigans as a bard getting it on with one of them?

True Resurrection is pretty rare but Raise dead and the other lower level oops the DM fucked up his CR calculations magics should be moderately common.

Not quite Phoenix Down level (unless you want that type of game) but still pretty common.

Of course it also works in the reverse so your PCs shouldn't assume that NPCs stay dead.

>tfw to intelligent to learn magic

Usually because in all editions of DnD so far, all the caster classes tend to use magic in similar ways mechanically, and the way magic works in the lore is fairly uniform and consistent... then you get psionics which basically operates by it's own set of rules, both fluff-wise and mechanically. The mechanic part being especially bad because it's usually a whole separate set of rules and conditions to learn in addition to the normal magic system.

Psionics feel out of place in DnD because it's literally something that got tacked on. That's not to say it's necessarily a scifi thing, but it's still extra tacked on content that doesn't belong in the core version of the rules.

> shouldn't assume that NPCs stay dead.
This is the real reason to ban resurrection right here. Makes it impossible to get anything murder-related done.

Not exactly how either species reproduces.

Personally I just assume that the Gith are attempts to create a psionic slave race to function as Illithid host bodies.

Basically they engaged in generations of breeding programs looking for the optimal host bodies. Kinda like a body horror kwistaz haderach.

You could assume that the Aboleth do something similar.

anyone who actually likes a published setting enough to run their game in it is a joke

Resurrection being possible doesn't make it easy.
Most of the time if you die you're gonna be more than a day's travel away from someone who can cast raise dead so low-level res spells become non-viable pretty easily.

Death in the game I run is less "you'll never get to play that character again" and more "you're going to be spending at least the next adventure or arc playing someone else", which can lead to them preferring their new character anyway.

Even getting components for a raise dead should be harder than most DMs make it IMO.

What, does nobody ever play clerics in your adventures?

Grab the tavern brawler feat and suck your DMs cock to get the magic item ''Insignia of claws''.

Now shut up and don't beg for more.
Monks punches hit as hard as weapons because they specifically use magic to train their bodies to that supernatural point.

I use basic settings like Greyhawk and FR for laziness / running modules out of the box but fuck if I'd ever buy a setting to run

Murderplots fall apart way before Rez spells show up.

Contact other plane, mind reading, or divination spells have been ruining mystery based D&D plots since 1e.

Besides most of the rez spells require an intact body. Murderers would just use ways of disposing bodies or binding souls.

>doesn't belong in the core version of the rules.
That's why its being added in an expansion.

What if the cleric gets fuckt?

you know, when someone says cloud giant, I think of a happy stay puft marshmallow man, not giant undead bane.

First off: Psionics was in the PHB in 1e.
Secondly: Everything that isn't Fighting Men and Magic Users was tacked on at some point.

Even revivify is 3rd level (so you're already at level 5, halfway or a third of the way through the average game) and needs 300gp diamonds per casting so I think my point holds fairly.
Someone plays a life cleric in my game but as I've said, getting expensive diamonds is difficult and time consuming as it should be.

>they specifically use magic to train their bodies to that supernatural point.
>d8 hit dice
>Fighters get a d10 and Barbrians get a d12
>D8 is warlock tier...

>UA: Traps (The kind with dicks)
>Turns out to be a Roguish Archetype based on courtesans and prostitutes.

Dump all your points in con then

Well, yeah, it's not in the core version of the rules. It's in a UA, and might later be added in an expansion.

Even ignoring that, there are plenty of examples of magical abilities that don't work like the way the rest of magic works - Monks' ki, Barbarians' totem abilities, and to a lesser extent Warlocks' invocations.

D&D seems to already throw in pretty much any and every fantasy trope and archetype they can, I don't know why you'd draw the line at psychic abilities. Hell, a lot of staple D&D monsters already have it.

Yep.
At least monks deserve the highest Hp die in the game fluff-wise and rule-wise it wouldn't break anything to give them a d12 since they are MAD as fuck.

I suppose it's meant to be a compromise in order to allow them to be sort of glass cannons though not quite as glass as others more dedicated to the path. Aluminium cannons, if you will.

So what exactly is the point of vitality?

Exactly, 300 GP for revivify or 500 GP for Raise Dead is a massive investment. It's substantially more than most regular people will have access to in a setting.

Nobles will likely have access to Raise Dead and the like which makes some of those guys hard to kill but in general dead NPCs are dead.

Shit like True resurrection is only going to show up when a high priest of a faith is convinced that they need to bring someone back from the dead. So stuff like Kings and Emperors and the like might get a resurrection on occasion.

an attempt to solve the problem of players dying to odd means. as explained, the whole "I can take a giant's club to the body but get killed by a kobold shiv to the hamstring" situation has always been a problem, this was an attempt to solve it.

Glass cannons how? A fighter of comparable level can put out more damage more consistently than a monk for all levels except maybe the first 4, when flurry of blows is obscenely good. After that, the monk starts falling behind and never catches up, ever.

>Same HD as Huge creatures

Nobody is forcing you to play Monks

Is that right? Cause my DM tosses out True Ressurections left right and centre for anyone he feels was killed unfairly by my disintegrate. It's annoying having a DM who feels invested in his own morality in the game.

Mystic today? How does wizards fuck it up?

D10, maybe. D12, you've just gone full retard.

Probably solely for the Quivering Palm ability.

25,000 worth of diamonds?

Your GM is an idiot if he's let the economy get that fucked. This isn't 3.x/PF or 4e.

Your DM is bad.
Crazy, I know.
It's the same level as Wish.
Now imagine if your DM was throwing out Wishes to every NPC.

I'd prefer something more like a secondary HP pool (Like negative HP) where your ability to do shit is reduced but you can still make an effort to defend yourself or run if you have someone covering you.

Then there's no deal about having to have a healer to get everybody up from 0 repeatedly. There's no deal about people dying instantly as with previous editions because you have a point at which your character clearly needs to stop themselves from being ripped apart. You no longer have any problems with being unable to do anything while downed except beg the healer to heal you and hope the DM doesn't attack you. And I prefer the 'You're okay -> You're in bad shape -> You die' progression more than 'You're okay -> You're unconscious -> You die' progression.
A player can fight to the death as a noble sacrifice if they want to. They can try to defend themself or use a last resort, but there'd be limitations on what they could do.

Even if the DM says 'Oh, that's what wolves do', it requires both a good DM and the players to pick up on the DM's hints on what a monster will do to downed players.

Huh, I've overlooked that vitality rule thing. It's actually sort of in the right direction, but I feel there's either something too much or something too little.
It mostly just seems to be a buffer against going down in one shot and allowing you to still 'fight on' (Except you'll lose all your vitality, which might suck if it's the start of a day).

Monk is a skirmisher not a front line tank.

Quit trying to make it into something it's not supposed to be.

>MAD as fuck

No. Wis plus Dex and Con? Come on. Is a fucking wizard MAD because he needs Int plus Dex and Con?

It's a meme at this point but wizards don't need INT, they have spells to cover a lack of DEX as well

How about PCs just act conservatively at low HP?

>wizard with points in anything but Int
I don't think you understand the wizardly mentality. Wizard players need a DM who can handhold their power fantasies and their "but I'm in MENSAAAAAAAAA" delusions that all they need is a big IQ

Go strength barbarogue, ask the DM if you can refluff shortswords into fist attacks and get sneak attack from it, but make it so you can only make these hands if your hands aren't full and you can't make a bonus fist attack on the first round of combat, ever, even if you're prepared for the fight.

There, totally fair, grappling tough brawley guy. In the very unlikely situation you could be disarmed, you counteract it by the fact you can never have both 'fists' ready on the first round of a combat and you can still have your arms restrained I guess maybe.

Ok wiseguy, in that case monks don't need dex, wis, or con. Like the low int and dex wizard, they can flop around worthlessly in the corner gibbering to themselves, hoping that their non-disabled party members accomplish something while they maintain a single buff oriented concentration effect as their sole contribution, hoping against hope that nobody targets them due to their utter lack of defenses.

As the game is now, there isn't any reason to though

Wizards can be effectively built to only use spells that aren't affected by INT score
Monk abilities all actually key off of stats directly

Too bad the role of "skirmisher" is largely obsolete in most scenarios. Unless you're playing flank-buddy for a party full of rogues, how often are you actually in battles where you're moving all over the place every turn? Almost never. In before some made up story about ninja-fights on motocycles or some shit.

How about death...?

Why should they?

That's just more likely to get them killed, because if they don't kill the enemies then the enemies will keep doing damage and murder all of them.

And the only penalty for going down is 'Well, the healer has to heal you now' or 'you're down until the end of the fight'
Except if certain enemies attack downed players, you should just heal them or stand in the way so the enemy doesn't have suitable reason to go attack the downed player. And, honestly, at this point it's kind of dickish to players who aren't masterminds if you don't tell them 'Okay, these monsters attack downed players.'

What do you guys think of this Vitality variant rule? As it is, apparently if you run out of Vitality you're out until you take a long rest or receive a huge amount of healing. I'd probably make it so a character can recover at least 1 Vitality on a short rest. How would you fix it?

>d8 hit die
>3 + 5*level + Con*level HP
>0 vitality means you have 3 maximum HP
>d6 hit die means you're fucked, scrub

By that last point I meant

'The DM automatically identifies to you which monsters will attack downed players and which won't'
In which case any monster that doesn't attack downed players the players can just do it as normal

If you make all enemies attack downed players?
Well, you'd better have half your team become healers, then. Fuck that.

For a moment there I almost shat myself, thinking it's today's arcana.

>Wizards can be effectively built to only use spells that aren't affected by INT score

Right. To the exact same degree that a monk doesn't need dex, con, and wis.

>Monk abilities all actually key off of stats directly

Go str. You'll be just as effective as the int 8, dex 10 wizard! (ie a horrendous drain on your party and being a dick for the sake of dickery, but it works kinda)

I don't mind a potential tie to the Far Realm, but it shouldn't be the only source, because they have traditionally not been.

There is nothing wrong with psionics. They've never been more bullshit than arcane or divine casters. It's really weird seeing the immense amount of hate surrounding a class that's been crafted with care for both its fluff and its mechanics, unless everyone's just some Wizardfag jealous that something else is getting attention for a change.

Not a reason to act conservative at low HP because the cycle of KO - heal - KO - heal is so easy to maintain without dying
Angry GM is a meme but I liked his take on this problem

At higher levels it's really no bother.

>Right. To the exact same degree that a monk doesn't need dex, con, and wis.
No.
Wizards can pick their spells. Monks just get abilities that key off stats.
I don't like it either - I think it's stupid - but you're wrong.

Casters and ranged enemies, dude. Casters can't simultaneously be the bogeyman who are out to get all martials and nonexistent..

>supernatural power based off of concepts that don't really exist in the real world
that's where you're wrong, kiddo

I still prefer the 'fighting spirit'-like rules, except different.

All players have 'Body health' equal to their average hitdie values.
This 'body health' does not heal in any way, except maybe through special means (high-powered magic only) or on long rests where you heal half of it back (Or you can sacrifice the hitdice you get back on a long rest to heal all of it back?)
You take body health damage once your normal health reaches 0.
Once body health reaches 0, you die.
Then, add something that either
A) Makes it harder to attack/fight while you don't have at least 1 normal health
or
B) Makes it so if you have no normal health and you take damage, you roll on an injury table.

One of the above detriments and how hard it is to heal will prevent people from trying to endanger themself when they're already close to death, and if you use injuries then it means players know they can avoid injuries by fighting only when their normal health is good.

Oh, here we go...

When the fuck did I ever mention casters?
A monk's 5 feet of extra movement still wouldn't let them catch casters.
A fighter can pull out a ranged weapon still use most of their abilities with it.
A monk just runs around flailing his fist while everything moves out of the way or flatout overpowers him.

If you're gonna be a skirmisher, you at least need the element of surprise or some sort of positional advantages like the Rogues get. Monks just suck.

>Why should they?

So, uh, that they don't die?

>That's just more likely to get them killed

Front line guys often put themselves in harm's way. That is why they are front line guys.

>And, honestly, at this point it's kind of dickish to players who aren't masterminds if you don't tell them 'Okay, these monsters attack downed players.'

The penalty for going down is that you are likely to die if facing fiends, most undead, or things that hate you in particular. For example, orcs against elves.

THEY DID IT AGAIN
THE ABSOLUTE MADMEN
THEY CAN'T KEEP GETTING AWAY WITH IT

NEVER EVER
E
V
E
R

E
V
E
R