A single Custode costs as much as an entire Space Marine Chapter to train and equip

>a single Custode costs as much as an entire Space Marine Chapter to train and equip

How exactly is this considered cost effective?

Also...

>Custode 40k Codex soon

Other urls found in this thread:

thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/BigNumbers.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

It's 40k, I ain't gonna explain shit.

because they're they emperor's royal guard you fucking heretic

ONE. COSTS. AS. MUCH. AS. AN. ENTIRE. CHAPTER

1 custode > entire chapter
I guarantee you that one Custode could kill all the Salamanders

>Guarding a corpse

Space Marine Chapters might be deceptively cheap to equip. So much of their stuff is relic armor or hand-me-downs from the parent chapter, and the new stuff is getting cranked out on Mars and other forge worlds.

I'd assume a Custodian's armor is mastercrafted on a whole other level, plus their weapons and training. Marine stuff is standard issue (for marines.) It's like stamping out 100 of the same piece of art in an injection mold. Custodes stuff is like hiring Michelangelo to make you one, with absolutely no discounts or price limit.

You know, when I consider a chapter has tanks, battle barges, cruisers, aircraft, artillery, and other things which instantly kill a Custodes, yeah I see why you upset.

WAIT HOLY SHIT THEY COST MORE THAN BATTLE BARGES?

>40k has no sense of scale

I am fucking shocked.

How many chapters are there compared to how many custodes?

>infinite number of slings is better than a nuclear aircraft carrier
>let's stop with modern weaponry and concentrate on slings

>tanks, battle barges, cruisers, aircraft, artillery
It can't include all of that. I could MAYBE see if it were just the marines and their weapons/armor, but even then it seems unlikely.
I'm sure a Custode is expensive as fuck, but come on.

That's my country and my brothers you're disrespecting mate.

Yeah, I'm sure the writer was exaggerating. It's a common case, and the writer rarely realizes just what they compared it to. The arms and ammunition of space marines along with the armor can closely match up in just captains alone.

Just like how they said that Blood Angels bolters can be worth more than a hive city when said gun could have a few copies of itself in most hive cities.

A Custodes is not superior to a chapter fleet, I guarantee that.

For stuff like that I wonder how many seconds would it take for the Empire to conquer the entire multiverse if they were well handled and not ruled by morons

If Roboute isn't writen as a retard, it will take literally a week to defeat every enemy ever

>How exactly is this considered cost effective?
It's the golden armour, really. But if you're going to conquer the galaxy, you wanna do it in style.

>How exactly is this cost effective

It doesn't have to be. The Custodes are the Emperor's chosen specifically singled out and favored over all his nameless legions.

Blatant favoritism is to be expected.

But an entire chapter?

Literally how?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Oh wow
What's it like to have down's syndrome?

From what I've heard about the lore though, custodes are to movie marines what movie marines are to guardsmen.
Which makes their meganob statline a bit underwhelming, as they're supposed to be able to cleave through thousands of meganobz in a day.

Don't know, would you explain your personal experiences since you seem to be saddled with that malaise?

OP doesn't understand; Custodes are meant to be the elite of the elite.

More elite than the Paladins who are more elite than the Grey Knights who are more elite than the Death Watch who are more elite than the Thunder Warriors who are more elite than the Ultramarines 1st Company who are more elite than the Space Marines who are more elite than the Chapter Scouts who are more elite than the Vindicare Assassins who are more elite than the Catachans who are more elite than the Stormtroopers who are more elite than the Cadian Shocktroopers who are more elite than the Imperial Guard who are more elite than the Planetary Defense Forces who are more elite than the conscripts.

It would take approximately 1.41x10E13 conscripts to equal the unsurpassed eliteness of the Custode, who would proceed to be killed in single combat by a Harlequin.

Master Crafted items take decades to craft, only undertaken by senior magos's and each individual nut and screw has to be blessed and scrutinized by committee for purity before the piece is assembled and then resubmitted for scrutiny.

Mastercrafted items are thus almost exponentially more expensive then the normal stuff. And all of the custodes stuff is mostly unique to them to begin with making the shit exponentially more expensive.

And it includes Psyk-out grenades. Which are litterally made from the emperor. So those grenades are probbably more valuable then a battlebarge on their own.

So, there are ten thousand Custodians, right?

ARE YOU FUCKING TELLING ME WE COULD HAVE BEEN PUMPING OUT MILLIONS OF EXTRA MARINES INSTEAD OF PAYING UPKEEP ON A BUNCH OF FRILLY FANCY FUCKING GOONS THIS WHOLE TIME?! WTF?!?!

>Just like how they said that Blood Angels bolters can be worth more than a hive city when said gun could have a few copies of itself in most hive cities.

Could just be because of the sheer prestige of owning a gun actually fired by a Blood Angel. It's like Elvis's dressing gown or something. Sure you can buy one very similar anywhere good clothes are sold, but they won't have been worn by Elvis and therefore be worth as much as your house.

>Tfw you can never afford a bolter that has succumbed to the sweat black rage.

How much can it actually cost to train a custodes
Unless you're literally exterminatusing planets as part of basic weapons training it really shouldn't cost that much

>when you realize there's something that makes DBZ powerlevels look like calculus with differential equations kind of smart

>GK babbys btfo

Because 40k writers have absolutely fuck all sense of scale.
Sandy Mitchell is pretty much the only one to even try.

>Sandy Mitchell is pretty much the only one to even try.

ehhhh.

>Sure, we'll defend an entire planet with 5 Regiments
>Oh, and by the way, a regiment is like a thousand people, not hundreds of thousands.

The limit on the number of marines was not due to logistic reasons.

>tfw you've lived long enough to see Abnett turn into a hack

no hope

He always made sure that the planets in question had absolutely fuck all population, so the pants on head retarded numbers made at least a modicum of sense.

There's some settings they'd never be able to do a thing about. More than one has galaxy-wide fuck you sticks. So the answer is 'all the seconds', as they could never do it.

>>a single Custode costs as much as an entire Space Marine Chapter to train and equip

Gotta source for that friendo?

I assume this comment was directed to me and not the guy who is talking about the limit of marines:

Still, the Imperial taskforces sent to secure areas are often pitifully tiny, and while veering between "absurdly too big" and "absurdly too small" is pretty much the norm for 40k, Mitchell pretty consistently does the latter.

Again, they send 5 regiments, in a tone that implies most regiments are about 1,000 people, to bolster up the PDF of Adumbaria in the Traitor's Hand. Now, Adumbaria is rotationally locked to its star, and pretty much all the habitation is in a shadow zone; if we assume that it's essentially a cross section 1/12 of earth's we've still got about 42 million square km to cover. I realize they think they're badly understrength, but they'd be barely noticeable at that level of spreading.

Where/who are Custodes recruited from?

>>a single Custode costs as much as an entire Space Marine Chapter to train and equip

source

>How exactly is this considered cost effective?

The explanation is extremely simple.

Each Custodian was personally crafted by the Emperor.
The Emperor's time (calculated on a theoretical hourly basis) is very valuable.

>Five regiments plus Cain.

Really depends on how you're trying to deduct your taxes to the administratum tithes.

>Battle Barge has antique plates, get to deduct it including serfs, a substantial portion of repair costs for gear due to on board forge, requisitioned munitions and materials from patrols, etc.
>Only getting taxed on subsector assets so crusading and training missions far away enough aren't counted, helps with parking tickets.
>Hording dreadnaught sarcophagi for increased seniors deductions.

Chapter Masters pull shit like this all the time. The actual chapter costs would be much higher if they weren't trying to avoid the Internal Revenue Ordos.

Do Custodes actually DO anything in the current timeline?

Space marines must have a massive edge in actual combat experience.

Where does it say this

my sides

Custodes fight Daemons in the webway (unsure if still canon), they conduct Blood Games, where a select few must do whatever they can to kill the Emperor, and some venture out and take on missions of utmost importance in disguise, and credit the nearest SM chapter with their achievements.

Thunder warriors aren't more elite than modern marines. They were blatantly inferior which is why they got purged and replaced

I cropped this pic and uploaded it to lexicanum Yesterday

You can thank me later

>anyone killing the best Chapter in the whole universe
Yeah, not going to happen.

What is the current lore speculation on Custodes resurgence?

Personal command of Rowboat?

Big E waking up?

The recent gathering storm book had them fight Magnus on the moon

They also rebuilt the sisters of silence

>when they go from 0-100 in no seconds flat to tourists

>doesn't know the Emperor's corpse is still alive
>doesn't know the Emperor's corpse has immense value, both physically and spiritually

Why are Chaosfags so dumb? You might as well ask why Fort Knox guards a bunch of metal rocks or why humanity guards dirt.

>lexicanum

Is that site still being buttfucked by that Inquisitor S. retard or did they finally give him the boot?

Didn't they have to copypaste a shit-ton in german lexicanum's articles just to make up for his childish deletionist policies?

Not every marine candidate can become a full space marine with one of the main reasons being rejection of implants and death. If you ask me, it would've been better to make custodes and adapt them as each legion instead of space marines. They take longer to train and are more expensive to equip, but the bio engineering is crafted to each individual so you will always get a soldier as opposite to space marine candidates. Another matter is that if you want to win a war on a scale as big as emps was planning then it is important to use the best possible materials. He's the emperor of mankind, why would he worry about cash when his every order is treated by everyone as the highest holiness?

You do realise you just posted that on a Celtic shield trimming forum?

Thunder Warriors are bigger and stronger than spess mareens and one could take down many World Eaters before going down. They were purged because they weren't suitably stable for Emperor's plans.

>Celtic shield trimming

This actually sounds interesting since I recently got into HEMA.

Was their mental instability an effect of a rushed enhancement process, lack of proper tech or a deliberate action of the emperor which wouldn't make sense?

Ok but have you considered that it might be because they cant spend the money on anything else? Ie we have enough materials to make 1000 suits of armour. We could make them for marines because they are cheap but we would still have a bucketload of cash left. Why not spend that cash to make the armour amazing instead. We get 1000 sets of articifer armour. Sure if takes exponemtially more effort but the result is 1000 suits of near impenetrable armour.

Inquisitor S. Is Bascially inactive now

Question about custodes, are they always stuck on guard duty? can't they like join deathwatch or something?

An acceptable defect in their creation process, considering Emps intended to phase them out from the very start. They were a stopgap solution to end the Age of Strife and bring about a unified Terra, not a permanent standing force.

Count recruiting world as several million dependents.

They were not and could never have become, Ultramarines.

They were temporary weapons used to conquer the brutally harsh warlords and empires of Terra with incredible savagery and efficiency (the only two languages universal to the world). They were leashed wolves, rather than faithful hounds, and as such were destroyed when they had fulfilled their purpose.

Much like the Emperor planned to do with Space Marines if the Great Crusade succeeded

There's only a handful of them so the cost is hardly felt by the imperium at large, and they kind of have an important job. I mean it seems like elves walk into the fucking throne room whenever they want, there has to be someone there to fight them off.

>Codex
>4 datasheets
>Codex
Wow this is almost as exciting as the Legion of the Damned "Codex" I can't fucking wait to give GW fifty dollars for four datasheets.

I actually have Elvis's Angelis Bolter.

How many chicken tendies could I buy if I sold everything in this picture?

All of them.

Maybe that's because a Custode lives x10 times as long as their garden marine counterparts, so it's an additive cost. By the end of his lifetime, a Custode has spent a chapter's amount of resources?

Have you considered that there haven't been any new Custodes made for 10000 years? The Emperor made them as his next "important" project after the Primarchs, to be greater than the Astartes in every way. He even used the genes of defeated enemies and warlords and/or their children, etc, to create them.

But you're wrong lmao. He made the Astartes in such a way that he didn't have to exterminate them after the GC.

>By the end of his lifetime, a Custode has spent a chapter's amount of resources
I had not considered that it might be a life time cost. That makes it seem a little more reasonable, as 10k years of equipment upkeep on what is certainly masterwork armor and weapons would be very expensive, not to mention the training costs.
It seems a little less retarded now, but I still think it is an error.

Honest question: is that a lot?

And is the currency thrones, work-hours, grimdarkness, what?

Also, is there anything that the Imperium which is cost-effective?

It costs thirty six million grimdarks to equip and train a single Custodes.

Probably because only the Emperor really knew how to make them. Maybe one or two of the Custodes are privy to the knowledge as well, but still.

possibly hyperbole
and when guarding the emperor, no expense must be spared

I love it how now that Custodes are a tangible thing, Marines are shit tier. Especially in 30k.

>"Why can't Army have Rhinos?"
>"Because Army is shit tier PDF good for using tractors, no point in wasting a tank made of SCIENCE! and Kraut space magic on them."
>"Why can't Custodes have Rhinos?"
>"Because Custodes are to Marines what Marines are to an ant, no way would they waste their time riding in some plebeian horse wagon made for mass-produced tools of war like the Marines."

>cost effective

You're not thinking bigly.

>It would take approximately 1.41x10E13 conscripts to equal the unsurpassed eliteness of the Custodes
That ain't a problem

The Emperor's sperm
They were hand-crafted by him like the Primarchs were, they are not recruited.

Stop making everything about your fucking HEMA Hard-on, James.

GW saw the TTS series and felt the need to clarify that the Custodes are, in fact, not running around naked inside the Imperial Palace.

And leave the Emperor unguarded? Perish the thought.

The nutritional content of their food must be very cost-effective because despite abysmal living conditions according to every source out there, Imperial citizens still manage to birth enough babies to feed the eternal meat grinder known as The Imperial Guard.

I'm sure that's some kind of ridiculous exaggeration. But then again when you consider that the custodes were made over 10K years ago and a lot of their tech and experience and knowledge is irreplaceable including the mutations (I mean holy gene seed) of the troops themselves. Then you could make the case that it is easier (if not precisely cheaper) to make a whole new space marine chapter than to make a new custodes.

It is too late, user. tg has already fallen for the bait

He was ALWAYS a hack.

Part of me really hopes GW took pointers from TTS, because some of that shit was golden.

hol E fuck

thealmightyguru.com/Pointless/BigNumbers.html

I looked up the name of the number that that is

untrigintillion

at this point i have to ask, even if evolution wasn't a thing wouldn't the gene pool be so fucked up from interbreeding that there would be all kinds of weird subspecies, The Mutant. Would planets populations be so different and alien from each other that the people wouldn't recognize that they came from the same ancestors thousands of years ago, The Xeno. The cultures of these planets was already different but with a population this big how did anyone agree on spirituality, The Heritic. And not to mention if evolution takes millions of years and its only been 39 millennia then how are "humans" still human.

fuck

deathwatch is a marines-only club.

That being said, as some other user mentioned, they're probably fighting demons daily, and they've gotten a fair bit of leg work in the gather storm books

If it helps Inferno straight up confirms/states that Custodes are biologically immortal and don't age what so ever.

>SM scouts are better than Vindicares
No.

Look at africa, you really don't need that much food or anything for breeding, only limited population control policies.

Like he said, the notion of cost in 40k is very variable.
There is no economy i think. Certainly local to a planet and his system or even gather systems.
But in galactic scale ? Requisition have no cost and no limit.
The imperium want a thing ? He make it, he take it.
He obtained what he want no matters in the manner of.
The economic value is nothing.

So make custodes in our world would cost a lot of money. But in 40k only time is spend.
And i think in 40K the time is what the Imperium need the most.
The custodes will work only for being the elites forces by essence.
The IG and SM are their for the galactic scale of war.

Its worth noting that Custodes are also long term investments. I mean aren't they all as old as Bjorn by now? Only Dante comes close and he is starting to creak a bit at the knees.

>"Why can't Custodes have Rhinos?"

but they do, hover ones at that