GM starts the game with a total party kill

>GM starts the game with a total party kill
>Says it's "to familiarize us with the setting"
Hearing you talk for 15 minutes about how a spider robot ate me and my friends alive after only a few minutes of playing didn't teach me shit, I didn't even learn anything about the story from it. How should I bring this up?

Basically say exactly what you just said.

"No, that was dumb, we got nothing from it, and all we did was waste our time with character creation."

Well, the lesson the GM might have been trying to 'teach' them that it's a very lethal setting where you die quickly?

But even then it's a fucking retarded way of doing so. Meatgrinder settings where you don't get invested in your characters because they die at the drop of a hat appeal to some people, but that kind of information should be made clear when you're pitching and discussing a game, not fifteen minutes in after wasting everybody's time.

Here's my question.

Was the TPK intentional, as in the party went up against monsters the GM knew for a fact outclassed them?

Or was the TPK an accident, either because the GM overestimated the players' stats/skill or because the party just had some awful rolls?

Either way it still kinda sucks. It's absolutely no fun when something out of your league bushwacks you fifteen minutes into playing. I hope the GM learned something.

Stop playing with Virt as the dm.

>Well, the lesson the GM might have been trying to 'teach' them that it's a very lethal setting where you die quickly?
You don't do that by guiding PCs to their scripted death. You do it by letting them find out organically that things are in fact dangerous. Scripted danger is not true danger at all; it just means the DM has decided to push the "end group" button.

What this anonymous said, organically.
In a high lethal gurps game, when the ogre swings for 3d+6 damage, and the Stewart PC has 10 hp, that's how you organically learn about damage. Losing an arm in a fight is a great life kesson

Its better than being scooped up by the trashbot.

You know, I'd start an undead campaign like that.

Pretty much nothing else. At most I'd do some white room play testing like that.

You were probably supposed to run away from it

Did your party keep attacking until the bitter end, even after the first player's character was killed?

We couldn't run away, the GM made a point of it being faster than us.
It was definitely intentional but the GM was sort of flying by the seat of his pants to make it intentional. There wasn't a scripted plot for our deaths or anything.

I'd also do it if I wanted to introduce a reincarnation mechanic.

Make a necromancer. If death is everywhere, what character could better capitalize on it?
Hell, make a summoner in general. If combat is overly lethal, don't into combat. Send your pogeymans to fight, when they are all dead, rest up for tomorrow.

Shut up and enjoy your suffering; you're lucky because most people who want to roleplay don't even get to play a game.

Beat the GM black and blue
say it's to "familiarize himself with who he's dealing with"

Alternatively, not bother and find a decent GM.

Like how you said.
>Hey DM, I was really dissatisfied with our characters' sudden death
>I feel like I learned absolutely nothing from it, except that you're running a high lethality campaign in a brutal setting
>I was not expecting a high lethality campaign and I would have liked it better if you had told me before the session

Also, a high lethality setting is not the same thing as a high lethality campaign, maybe your GM should clarify? Clearly he can teach you about the setting's brutal and merciless tone without putting your
characters through it. By having a bunch of NPCs killed off in front of you for example.

Havent heard his name for a while...

I've only seen a "mass fatality lesson at the start" thing done well once.

The GM frequents this board and I know this because the setting was Assholia. We had just been deported there for taking part in a failed rebellion.

We all had to make 2 characters. Then he made us mark one as heads and one as tails. Then we flipped a coin. The one that the coin named was killed by the local wildlife first day.

You forgot to type the part where someone does it well.

what this guy said, OP.

That's pretty good sarcasm of you. Have an upboat!

The lesson you learned was that you need a different DM. Since this happened in the first session, it was comparatively cheap.

All guardsmen party.

I've decided I'm gonna run a campaign where I give everyone premade characters 1st session, have those guys tpk'd then have the campaign start proper and allow them to find/loot/avenge the premades.

I get the feeling OP is only pissed off because he spent longer designing his character than playing it.

Kick his chair out from under him, then begin stomping on his face. Tell him its to "familiarize him with the setting". Then leave and find a better group.

Or you can have a reasonable conversation with him about how you don't feel his plan worked the way he intended, and left you (and presumably other players) feeling agitated.

Either way, I suggest being prepared to walk. I've stuck around with far too many shitty games, and learned that they don't get better if the GM isn't prepared to hear you out and consider your thoughts.

He rolled poorly on his anal circumference playing FATAL and died with a dick up his ass.

Next time I run a game I'm going to destroy reality, then work from there.

Ah yes. Assholia. For when you know your DM wants to kill your characters like it was Game of Thrones.

If it's not the Deep Crows it's the Hell Carp, if it's not the exploding goats it's the grenade-fruit trees, if it's not them it's the clouds of flesh eating microbe fog or the literal shit storms or the sentient and malevolent iron or the dick-wolves or the Bang-Shrooms.

Fuck Assholia. And fuck which ever one of you faggots thought it up.

It sounds like you suck and should have been paying attention.

deniro hasn't aged well