EDH/Commander General

Never Forgetti edition

Previously: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Who is your favorite artifacts commander?

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/deck-12627606-0f8e0aa103d0a4288d116749f682a1a5.html
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kami-of-the-card-draw-1/
youtube.com/watch?v=-ktctk0XidQ
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/selvala-brostorm/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

First for Misstep

I want to build bosh but buying the artifacts needed is a pain in the ass

First for what's a fun deck to build that will cost me less than $80 and will give me maximum fun without getting curbstomped

Gosta Dirk
Land Equilibrium
97 plains
1 island

Why is she the best at 4-way games?

Daretti. Breya would be conveting for my most favorite artifact commander if i had the time to play.

*competing
Cause she's a redhead

>Play boros
>Get boardwhiped

you missed the word "fun"

>Plays Borors
>Doesn't have anti-board wipe spells
Get gud.

>less than $80
5c charms
All basics
Cultivate effects fix colors
Win condition is big fuck off creatures and ways to make many many copies like rite of rep and progen mimic

The base build is about 70 bucks, upgrade it over time and it gets nasty

Does this Jarad list look alright to you guys?

Reason the mana base looks retarded is because i'm too poor for fetches and Bayou. I'm making this out of a Meren deck I already had so I'm trying to keep costs minimal with this upgrade for now.

deckstats.net/deck-12627606-0f8e0aa103d0a4288d116749f682a1a5.html

Its currently really tight so i'm having trouble finding spots for things I'd like in there like Yawgmoth's Will and Victimize.

Zada or purphoros.
>play boros
>nuking the field
Ftfy

>Wanted to try a more control-heavy deck than my Melek Spellslinger list
>Threw together a list loosely based off of this, but with more artifact ramp
>Leyline of Anticipation, Ancient Tomb and a pile of rocks in opener
>Win turn 5 after casting Niv Mizzle eot and untapping with Curiosity
>With Merchant Scroll backup to find Pact
>Opponents (Atraxa superfriends and Scion) gets absolutely livid
>Mfw they let me sit there and ramp for 4 turns and then were surprised when they lost.

(You)
Also answer my question famalam.

You don't need fetches really, they are a luxury. If you must have them, wait for enemy battle lands to come out. You have other means of acquiring the lands you need

To follow up, I can't read that list. I'll have to make a copy on tapped out when I get home

Just built this new Kami of the Crescent Moon build guys. Tell me what you think. Will more or less be playing group hug with card draw with some protection to stop people from attacking me.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/kami-of-the-card-draw-1/

Even though it's competitive deck idea, it can still be fun. Don't be a Timmy, UW can be fun and competitive simultaneously.

>Fetches are a luxury
Fetches are a "luxury" if you don't have shocks or duals. If you have shocks and/or duals and aren't running fetches, you're a fucking idiot.

TY (^. ^)

REAL TIME POSTEM.

How many do you run?

UGH ARE YOU NOT AWARE THAT BRAIDS, CABLE MILLION IS BANNED IN EDH COMMANDER YOU SHITLORD????????

Cards I'd cut first: Baleful Force, Ohran Viper, Phyrexian Delver, Frontier Siege, Graveborn Muse
Now run things like: Living Death, Savaging Ooze, Yawgwill and Victimize, and maybe something like Ill Gotten Gains.
You could also try out some creature-based reanimation too like Apprentice/Doomed Necromancer and Coffin Queen.

I run a land and 98 ways to protect it

I got to live the UR artifacts dream.

>get paired up for 2HG
>playing Slobad
>partner is playing Arcum
>our faces when we realize the insane bullshit we're about to pull off

>Implying I don't include her just for the free (you)s she generates

How do I build this guy voltron?

That goes without saying. If you have the money for fetches you will get shocks and abur duals.

If not, then got won't use them not purchase them.

Fetches are great for getting basic lands too.

>implying indestructible works against sac/-X/exile/bounce
>implying "return those that died this turn" works against exile/bounce
>implying flicker works with tokens
you're deck a shit

Sure, but it's a waste to worry about not having fetches for that sort of scenario. Suck it up and TE or EW at that point

>If you have the money for fetches
Depending on your color combination you can get 2 out of your 3 fetches for like 40 dollars total

How do you cast your 7 drop commander then?
Genuinely curious.

>Protection from everything
You can't.

>Unless you have a 1 mana Split Second spell that stops every possible form of boardwipe your deck scoops to my hypothetical "kills everything in whatever way you don't have an answer for" boardwipe

>they let me sit there and ramp for 4 turns and then were surprised when they lost
That's what most people do in the early game, who the fuck casually throws early counterspells/removal at mana rocks?

I'd rather run a basic land instead of those.

Then you're dumb and wrong.

Having a land come into play tapped is like wasting a turn.

The only way is anthem effects.

Anyone with a brain?

>gee wizz user, I know you're accelerating your curve to a stupid extent, which will let you get way more value on each subsequent turn, maybe I should hold onto my counter spell for when you play your overpowered bullshit, rather than nipping the problem in the bud. After all, big things are scary, who counters/removes early mana rocks?

I'm playing 5 pieces of cheap, tutorable artifact removal in the list that I played.
>Vandalblast
>Shattering Spree
>Smash
>Fiery Confluence
>Shattering Pulse
In addition to that I've got Chaos Warp and Cyclonic Rift to clear problematic boardstates.

I depend on each of my opponent playing Magus of the Vineyard

So I play a bunch of little dudes with something like Bident of Thassa. What do I spend the excess mana on?

Here are the lands. Only 31 in this deck as we run about dozen or so mana dorks/rocks.

1 Bojuka Bog
1 Cabal Coffers
1 City of Brass
1 Command Tower
1 Dryad Arbor
1 Evolving Wilds
5 Forest
1 Jungle Hollow
1 Llanowar Wastes
1 Mana Confluence
1 Overgrown Tomb
1 Phyrexian Tower
1 Reflecting Pool
1 Shizo, Death's Storehouse
1 Strip Mine
5 Swamp
1 Tainted Wood
1 Temple of Malady
1 Temple of the False God
1 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
1 Volrath's Stronghold
1 Woodland Cemetery

You play Rafiq and swing

Or I could get battle duals and tapped fetches for allied and shared decks, or the any color lands like city, confluence etc for cheaper

Yeah, it's not as if anyone runs Cyclonic Rift, Toxic Deluge, Merciless Eviction etc.

I've tried running anti-board wipe spells and they disappoint more often than they help.

It's a slight loss in tempo in a format known for long games. The better color selection is worth losing a turn.

Nothing because all you've done is build shitty Edric/Ezuri

>Eerie interlude and friends

>31 lands

Finally got all the pieces for Tazri Food Chain. Ready to club some baby seals.

Or you could pay very slightly more for cards that aren't total garbage-ass shit

See: tokens

Yes, those effects exist.

Saying that unless you run 10 cards that all answer Deluge, Rift, Eviction, Wrath, EVERY POSSIBLE BOARDWIPE your deck folds to it, is fucking stupid.

Have you guys seen this channel? It's a little autistic but it's not bad. youtube.com/watch?v=-ktctk0XidQ

Shocks are way cheaper than Fetches, enough to end up even in budget mana bases these days.

If you've got duals, though, you are running your goddamn fetches.

Your channel is very nice user.

Cease thy shilling.

Extra turn spells? Maybe hurricane. Or big splashy bombs

>see
See not running shit archetypes.

Ydris hypergenesis. Give me cute threats to cheat out

You run too few fatties and too much control for Jarad imo. Perhaps you aren't focusing on Jarad himself much though. I'd at least include Bane of Progress since the dude gets big, wrecks your opponents and being able to toss him for mucho pain circumvents the lack of trample.
Also seconding Living Death, which is absolutely crazy in Jarad.
>throw my 20/20 whatever for massive damage to everyone
>living death
>everything dies, I have a 20/20 back, your turn

You sure got me there

Craw wurm and friends

>Windswept Heath: 12 dollars
>Temple Garden: 8 dollars
If you're using Khans fetches, they're in basically the same ballpark as RTR shocks price-wise.

Heh, I've been testing 20 land for monoblue paradox engine, but that deck is pretty much mana rocks with sides of (artifact) tutoring and card draw. I'm not sure I'm satisfied with the stability of the deck no matter how good it is for the stability of the combo, but 31 sounds positively reasonable after messing around with that shit for a while.

Oh please, compare the price for dimir shock and fetch, and the tapped fetch and battle dual and then tell me that

Bane of Progress is in there user and yeah Jarad is mainly used as a combo piece the deck is meant to function without him for most of the game.

Fair, if you keep to relevant shocks + Relevant Khans fetches you're not in a terrible place. Going enemy fetches or All Possible Fetches, though? Bad news for budget.

Neck yourself pal o mine

The tapped fetch and battle dual are cheap because they're terrible fucking cards.

If SEVENTEEN FUCKING DOLLARS for a Polluted Delta is bank-breaking for you, go play Pauper. Don't squirt Hunt's Ketchup on Great Value Angel Hair and call it "just as good" as Italian cuisine.

I've seen a Seton deck that runs 28

Zephyr Spirit

Oh, absolutely, once you touch ZEN fetches (until maybe MM3 helps? Hopefully) the prices jump way up, but even if you're just doing RTR shocks and Khans fetches (even if you're having to do Windswept Heath and Bloodstained Mire instead of Arid Mesa in a R/W deck, for example) are still well worth the investment, and miles better than "just run basics lmao"

The is functionally no difference to either of them aside"tempo loss" though. So how are they terrible for fixing?

>Living Death

What this guy said.

Also add It That Betrays as one of your fatties it has a crazy synergy with LD

>ITB on the field
>cast LD
>board is wiped
>ITB effect is triggered
>all creatures your opponents controlled are now under your control
>creatures are now returned from graveyard

Because there's better options for color fixing once you account for the tempo loss. Shocks/Fetches/Duals are king because they give you access to a TON of fixing with zero tempo loss at very little "cost" life-wise (compared to say, Painlands, which are still good, but not AS good).

Slow-fetches and Battle-Lands are so far down the list of 'good fixing' for EDH that if I saw someone slow-fetch into a Battle-Land I'd start pulling my punches immediately because I'd assume I'm about to see a nearly Standard-legal EDH deck.

What's a good commander for discard shenanigans in U/B(/x?) colors besides Lazav?

>There's functionally no difference to either of them except for the reason that one is 15 dollars and one is a 5 cent common nobody plays

>Heh

Can you share your Selvala list plox?

Alright, I see where you're coming from.

Not related to the topic of fetches other than through lands with basic types, but I feel like the Buddy lands are underrated, at least for 2-3 color decks at budget. You'll usually have a basic or shock that turns it on in your opener, or a fetch you can get one of the others. If you somehow have none of those, I don't think spending t1 on it is too huge a cost most of the time.

Honestly, outside of the Duals and the Shocks (and maybe the things like Mistveil Plains or Murmuring Bosk), I don't touch the lands with subtypes because they're just so shit. Even with them being fetchable, there's so many better options available, even on a budget.

Look, user, if you're scraping the bottom of the barrel and coming up with slow fetches and battle duals, maybe you should just be honest with yourself and run a few penny-caliber CIPT lands. The refuges and khans set will even gain you a life and everything. There's no shame in taking $50 EDH out for a spin, especially if you just want to get a feel for the commander before you push it into its 75% or tuned state, but don't try to claim that makes your choices objectively good.

Well yeah duals and shocks are great.

Right, which is obvious.

What I'm saying is that if we're ranking fixing, and Shock/Dual/Fetch trinity is at 1, slow-fetches and buddy-lands and Battle-lands are not 2, or 3, or 4.

They're like 50.

I'm about to start playing edh with my friends. They have been playing awhile I have some understanding of the game. Which deck has the best synergy out of the box/fun to play

I'm looking at these three

invent superiority (breya)
plunder the graves (meren)
entropic uprising (ydriss)

leaning toward breya

>What I'm saying is that if we're ranking fixing, and Shock/Dual/Fetch trinity is at 1, slow-fetches and buddy-lands and Battle-lands are not 2, or 3, or 4.

Buddy lands or signet lands for 2, do you think?

>want to play spicy unique cards
>they're expensive even though they aren't even that good

fuck my laifu

maybe i should bite the bullet and order one for my pillowfort meme deck anyway

If the group you play with plays with fetches and socks and you don't you're behind. It's not even worth it to run guild gates and etb tapped lands. Run painlands and basics. But if you can afford them, shocks and duals are just primo.

That one is netdecked. Here's the primer/fully optimized list. There's many different ways to make it budget. The bulk is quite cheap.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/selvala-brostorm/

Meren is pretty great out of the box. There's a backbone there you can keep through 75% at least. Breya ain't bad either and I think she may be the better value. Yidris needs/deserves a lot of work out of his precon state.

Dread just seems better

Neither. Both are so far down the list I'd only run them if my budget made fucking painlands impossible.

>Checks price of No Mercy because I'd been meaning to get one
>It is still like 10 bucks

whew.

Go for it, user. In the pantheon of overpriced cardboard, that doesn't even rate, and it's pretty hilarious.

See: moving the goalpost.

eh, 2 extra mana cost while tied to a creature (ie. more frail than a 4 mana enchantment). it'd be good if i was running reanimation, but i'm not

anything that costs more than 4 mana tends to get removed within a turn in my meta

yeah i guess. it doesn't seem like something that would get reprinted, ever, so i think it might just go up in price... forever. i'm guessing the only format it's playable in is EDH and it's only expensive because it was printed once a million years ago

user, are we talking about the same lands?

Because they're more expensive than pains, at the very least

I'd run Glacial Fortress and the like in just about any 2 color deck, iffy in 3 color.

Filters are similarly okay in 2 color, or a 3 color that's HEAVY on 2 of the 3.

I would run the signet lands in zero decks ever.