media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/:
No point in OP question on the arcana day.

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12523063
youtu.be/999RqGZatPs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

First for WHEN DO WE GET THRI-KEEN AND KALASHTAR

W H E N B I N D E R

Binder would not fit 5e. However, warlord when?

>No point in OP question on the arcana day.
Since OP didn't make a question, I will:

>Do you think the Mystic is balance? What would you change?

>Binder would not fit 5e.
Why wouldn't they?
>However, warlord when?

strawpoll.me/12523063

Probably the biggest knock I have against the Mystic is that it's nova at level 10 can be a bit too strong, but they can only do it twice a long rest at that level.

At later levels they can nova a couple more times, but it probably won't compete with the novas or consistent DPR from some of the other martial classes (Fighter, Paladin, UA Ranger).

As things stand, I think I'd allow it at my table, but give the player a heads up that things are subject to change, being playtest material after all.

>Why wouldn't they?
Great Old One patron.

So can we all officially declare the day in which today's UA actually gets into a book the point where fifth edition jumped the shark?

>>Do you think the Mystic is balance? What would you change?
Fuck naw senpai.

Honestly I'd tone down all the options it gives per discipline. They've got way too much versatility.

Screaming at people so loud they come back to life.

>Deep stalker ranger is winning
Woah

They can nova three times at 10th, with only 1 psi point left over. If you're talking about the Animate Weapon nova, that is.

There's only five, ten hit points worth of damage between the nova at 10th level and the nova at 20th level.

Hunter is so boring how can people even like it?

Am I doing it right?
>Great Old One patron.
Not only they're completely not related thematically (even Undying would fit better), the mechanics are vastly different.
Also you don't see people complaining about the fact that Ancient paladins, druids, feylocks, rangers and nature priests share pretty much the same source of power.

They should just stagger out the Mystic more. It's not really unbalanced at top tiers, but it's a very front-loaded class.

Stagger it out more, and Mystic is much better.

Because it's the goodest.

Probably because there's only two official archetypes, and of the two hunter was the better one for a long time.

Also a lot of people don't like having to deal with a companion. Players and DMs alike.

Also hunter multiclasses better.

Reminder if you want to play any race or class outside of core content you're a shitty player and GMs hate you

Vestiges are some weird shit beyond the typical boundaries of space and time, GOO are some weird shit beyond the typical boundaries of space and time.

If Avatar Mystic's a suitable Warlord, then GOOlock is a suitable Binder.

>New Unearthed Arcana: Food and provisions
I don't believe this is correct at all. Why do they lie?

I wish they'd made the Knife Asshole and the elemental disciplines monk subclasses instead. The mystic steps on a lot of toes but the monk has just been completely outclassed

Even then, you're talking about needing to "buff up" before the hit occurs, spending a bonus action to dump Psi Points into your weapon before going in with your attacks.

This isn't like the Paladin that can go, "oh, I hit? Well, eat a shit ton of radiant damage." If the Mystic's weapon strikes miss they just blew their load.

>New Unearthed Arcana: Food and provisions
You got me, you genius bastard.

Ah cool, so Yuan-ti from Volo are fine then? :^)

Joke's on you my DM's Guild Shaman Class is a fucking hit with my DM.

This. Gonna be putting this into the survey.

>Shaman
>when druid is the same shit

>Nomadic Arrow
>Sharp Shooter

That's the downside, yes. Therefore, there needs to be some synergy in the party to give the Mystic advantage whenever they're going to pull off their Lethal-Strike-Animate-Weapon-Knock-Back combo.

To be honest, this makes the Mystic extremely likely to be overpowered in casual gaming groups, due to the fact that they're massively powerful at 10th level but their progress plateaus out on the road to 20th. 10th-15th is the point where most campaigns come to a natural conclusion.

Good to see Deepstalker's winning. It's the right mix of mechanics and flavor I'd like to see from more UA, even though it does feel a bit like "Abilities Drizzt kinda had".

How do you do warlocks in a setting where higher powers aren't probably real?

Eg; clerics find themselves imbued with a certain extra power, but whether it's from actual faith or from their own abilities and spirit is unclear.

Warlocks get their power from pacts with tangible, very real entities of high power that they're in a very distant relationship with - and likely as one of many warlocks bound to them.

If you've got powerful fiends, powerful fey and powerful aberrations in your setting, you can have warlocks. If you don't, then way more than just warlock ceases to work.

Make em lower powers that need the warlock more than warlock needs them.

I don't know why even bother since everyone's talking about the new UA anyway, but I need help.

One of my players couldn't make it to today's session and their character got separated from the party after falling into a deep pit. So a couple of days from now I'll run a one-on-one session for the first time, to go over what happened with them. How do I go about this? And what the hell would be lurking in a network of tunnels deep below a yuan-ti lair?

Honestly I just like it since it's the best for building a character to go with youtu.be/999RqGZatPs

the warlock is insane and thinks he's talking to demons and shit but is actually just a goth wizard

Point me to how the mystic surpases the monk in unarmed damage and stun

And I'm fine with there being synergy in a group to let the Mystic nova at 10th level, especially when the Mystic might be needing to do more heavy-lifting in the DPR area than the other members of the group, which fill in the tank, healer, and buff/debuff.

For example, a group makeup of Paladin, Mystic, Cleric, Ranger, can probably do fine for tankiness and survivability, but might be lacking in some damage.

Snek stuff. What class is he? If it's a Fighter or Paladin or whatever then make it snek pit fight, Rogue should be a trap filled vault or something and a Wizard should have some interesting information or a spell given to him.

All about tailoring it to his character.

None of those things are really accessible.

This might work.

You're better off finding a system that's designed for low magic then, because D&D usually operates on the assumption that fey and fiends exist.

Paladin. There's also a cool magical weapon somewhere down there.

The Yuan-ti could have been using the tunnels to dump dead bodies. It's turned into a rot infested cave of undead.

Another option is the Yuan-ti have some kind of deal with a Fiend living down there.

D&D can work fine without them being overt, it just requires a little tailoring.

So do wizards inverse actually have daily charges to spells and such? I don't think the memory thing is still canon now but I dont know.

The issue is that the Mystic can't invest many psi points into DPR, otherwise it loses out on the number of times it can nova per long rest. This means it would be forced to rely on either weapon attacks as either an Immortal, Soul Knife or Nomad - or psionic talent attacks as an Avatar, Awakened or Wu Jen.

>wizards inverse
???

New player here the beast master ranger in the phb seems to be that my pet attacks in my stead where the revised one doesn't seem to limit such a thing is that correct?

Never, because the peasants would simply die of dragonfire.

That is correct, because the PHB Beastmaster was shitty.

in universe

>Be Immortal Mystic
>In combat
>Feel like doing a Mighty Leap
>Wizard casts Jump
>Use 7 Psi Points to Jump 420 feet away.
>Wave goodbye to my party knowing they are all about to die.

What's the best way to DPR Rogue?

MC Champion 3-5 and try to critfish for double sneak attack?
Shield Master instead to create your own advantage with Expertise in Athletics?
Crossbow Expert and Hand Crossbow and find ways to get ranged advantage?

All of those sound like good ideas. Any idea what kind of monster (probably a Demon) I could throw at a solo level 9 paladin with a good amount of their resources already used?

>The mystic steps on a lot of toes but the monk has just been completely outclassed

Nice meme friendo. Got anything to back it up other than "muh empty emotional display?"

Pacts can be immensely powerful while still being subtle.

Has anyone found any other decent damage-dealing or is the Animate Weapon combo the best that Mystic has?

>monks are just a stun gun
why would i want to play this class
that's such a lame role
a one trick pony
if i want to shut down enemies it's better to be a caster and have a lot of options for it or a barbarian/rogue multiclass and grapple everything that i shove prone

Half-orc bararogue
>always sneak attack

In 3.5 it was explicit canon, but I don't think that's explicit in 5e.

5e uses forgotten realms, so spell slots and levels are basically how Mystra currently quantizes the power levels of the weave.

Babau = hard fight.

Why the fuck did they think a bite would be as good as a weapon

>Lethal-Strike-Animate-Weapon-Knock-Back combo.
As a player I could never see myself abusing this. I'm all for combining stuff for synergy, cool abilities, and effectiveness, but it's such a potentially powerful combination that I'd feel wrong if I used more than once in a blue moon. Hell with my Take 2 Mystic I still hold back Lethal Strike more often than I probably should have.

>lightsaber jedi
>reality-benders
>monks

The mystic has a lot of versatility and a good potential nova, but I honestly don't think it's overpowered unless a player really, really goes out of their way to abuse it.

A Babau or Shadow Demon if the player's reasonably good and still has Smites left.

Personally I'd make a Shadow Demon that's playing with him through out the caves.

What do you guys think about a game centered around being a mercenary company / party?

I have a hankering to DM a sword and sorcery campaign after I started reading Black Company.

It relies on an attack roll to do 14d10 damage and a strength save after that to do an additional 7d6 damage, at the cost of a huge amount of the Mystic's resources. Add on the weapon damage, the discipline attack modifier damage and the potent psionics damage and you've barely over a hundred damage against a single target. Not to mention it uses up your action, your bonus action and your reaction.

It's balanced.

Thinking of Dipping one level of Monk on my Wood Elf Ranger. Is getting a better AC and a bonus action attack worth one level?

Someone should make a table of comparable abilities within the Disciplines so we can point out the blatant power spikes if they exist.
You know, like how Ant-Man spends 5 points and a reaction to automatically avoid a hit and move 5 feet, while THE FORTRESS spends 2 and reaction to impose disadvantage and still damage spike the attacker if it lands.

>Black Company
>Sword and Sorcery
not quite

To get that bonus action attack, you'd be forced to use a shortsword or handaxe to fight, and be barred from wearing armor.
You're going to have far more AC using actual armor and be able to use ranged weapons or a rapier and shield.

Does it really matter? I doubt a single-class ranger is the most optimal thing in the world anyway.

Aw fuck forgot I couldn't use my Rapier with it. Might go for Rogue then because I really don't feel like it makes much sense to keep taking levels in Ranger.

We as an expedition in the Underdark and so I made a Deepstalker as the party guide and now we've gone back to the surface. Plus getting the Bonus action hide quicker would be fun considering enemies Darkvision has no effect on my hiding.

>Swashbuckler Rogue
>Bring your DEX and CHA to 18, +4 initiative from each
>Alert feat, another +5 to initiative
>Mystic with Precognition Discipline, advantage on initiative rolls
>Use Danger Sense, get another +10 to initiative
By level 8, a Level 5 Mystic/Level 3 Rogue can have a +23 Initiative with advantage. Before even rolling.

They will never NOT go first.

There's from a thread or two ago. But it's a little bare bones.

The only obvious one is that Brute Strike is just plain bad when compared to Lethal Strike. Both require a bonus action, both cause additional damage when you make a successful melee attack. But Brute Strike is 1d6 per psi of whatever damage type you used in the attack, while Lethal Strike is 1d10 psychic damage per psi. I don't quite get why anyone would use Brute Strike, unless they've got the Brute Force discipline while lacking the Psionic Weapon discipline.

>not balanced for multiclassing

>not balanced at all

One that stands out immediately is Corrosive Touch is infinitely better than Bestial Claws.

Same PP cost, same damage scale with PP, only CT gets halved damage on Dex save, where BC is all or nothing.

Doesnt count resistance or immunity.

Bestial Claws is a melee weapon attack, Corrosive Touch isn't. There's lots of things that have synergy with melee weapon attacks. You can't use Brute/Lethal Strike or Knock Back in conjunction with Corrosive Touch.

But Animated Weapon is definitely better than Bestial Claws.

It's definitely balanced, but I'm in a party of all martial classes so my higher damage out put worries my first time DM sometime

Dessicate affects undead and constructs? That ain't right.

From initial introduction to my players, they are extremely attracted to the Mystic. Several who have only enjoyed martials in the past have immediately attached themselves to it. What I wonder is, why? None of them care enough to chargen/powergame. Spells can recreate practically any of their effects. What about this makes it so much more engaging? Is it the groupings of abilities by flavor, so one doesn't have to cherry-pick themed abilities? The mix of martial and caster type abilities? The "build-your-own-class" setup, almost reminiscent of a heavily simplified XP-Purchase system? The "out of place" alternative for "traditional" fantasy setting?
What makes Mystic so appealing?

If they're not immune to necrotic damage.

Is it worth it to dip into rogue as a diviner wizard?

I've got a fortune teller character that I'm working on, she's gonna start as a charlatan diviner with max int and high dex and charisma, and I'm thinking it might be worth it to multiclass after a while to make her a bit more sneaky/effective with daggers/melee weapons, especially since it doesn't really line up with her character to have most of her damage coming from things like fireballs or whatever else.

You could stop being a lazy faggot and adapt it yourself.

>gish
>spell points
>super customizable
>fleshed out disciplines
>quirks
>power of the mind flavor
It's pretty cool dbh

All this knee jerk whining stating the Mystic is OP. Actually play the class and then see if your opinion is the same.

Must have misread the Psi Limit.

Didnt realize it only applied to the discipline you are using, but doesnt mean you cannot use PP on a bonus or reaction from another discipline.

Its less that ability and more that the mystic can do that AND a whole slew of other crap. They can pretty much fill a whole party's worth of roles.

It just lets you do a shitload of cool things. Jumping up a 100 foot cliff before punching someone 70 feet off of it is cool, and those displacement abilities are rare.

There's just a ton of cool thematic moves for them, and there are so many subclasses that you can fill practically any party role with them.

I'm just gonna get it out of the way
>Diminution, Miniature Form
>Can squeeze through gaps as small as 3 inches
Time for spelunking

So can a party of bards or a party of wizards or a party of any full caster that you can name.

Time for DC 80 Escape Artist checks?

Would you guys allow a Soulknife to let the laser knife fists form as another weapon? Like, say, a two-handed 1d10? I can imagine that it might mess with the intention, but I'd like the option to do something other than maul things with that.

No I mean like, 1 mystic in a normal party will make the wizard, fighter, bard, monk and paladin jealous, all at once.

Most mystics will specialize rather than take disciplines that other party members make redundant.