Is D&D popular for good reason?

Is D&D popular for good reason?

It seems like many, many people have fond memories of it, continue to play it or have just found the game.
It fosters and stokes the imagination, builds communication and social skills and teamworking, helps nuture creativity, among other things.

Other urls found in this thread:

wspieram.to/Earthdawn
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It also clutters the head with useless rules. You could learn a foreign language instead of learning D&D

Most of it is just good memories of playing pretend with their friends and the actual system is irrelevant.
D&D is popular because
1. it has a HELL of a brand name (seriously, it rolls off the tongue, it's catchy, it puts you in the proper mindset of what it is, it's an A+++ grade marketable name)
2. it has seniority (nobody remembers Chainmail so it's really the first "pretend with dice & rules" game)

That's only the 3e iterations. They contain the cluttering useless rules.

Shadowrun, World of Darkness, Paranoia, Call of Cthulhu, The Dark Eye - all of them are just as iconic and old games as DnD with fleshed-out settings.
I won't mention GURPS, because it doesn't have a native setting, but it's also there.

No, DnD isn't popular for a good reason. It's just grognards fueling the vicious cycle by refusing to acknowledge that there are other games.

Are they really as old?
Why aren't they spoken of as highly or as fondly?

> grognards fueling the vicious cycle by refusing to acknowledge that there are other games.
If anything I'd say its the opposite. D&D gets all the newcomers because of its great brand recognition and relative simplicity of its concept

>D&D
>Popular
Try outside US of A

The properties on D&D's license have generally been quality media, from Gold Box in the 80s-90s, through the Infinity Engine games, and even those arcade beat em ups. The D&D settings are also pretty cool, Planescape in particular.

D&D is a big property that nevertheless manages to strike well with modern means of distribution, like the fact that all of the third edition/PF is available for free and how you can run a pretty viable game of 5e with just the starter set.

Veeky Forums is in that place where a huge amount of people hate it and yet the 5e and PF generals thrive, OSR is chock-full of games building off of OD&D/AD&D and a lot of people say that the 4th edition had great material, if not in its tactical sphere then at least in the very well written DMG.

And really,
>grognards fueling the vicious cycle by refusing to acknowledge that there are other games
you really have to be quite acquainted with RPGs as a whole to know what less mainstream stuff like Mutants & Masterminds that many deem as superior. D&D is a fine entry level game, especially with the 4th and 5th edition.

>GURPS, because it doesn't have a native setting
Infinite Worlds

Now you know.

Yes, it is popularfor a good reason.

But no one on Veeky Forums can accept that the fun they hate could be popular - they try very hard to kill any kind of fun they don't like (see: GURPS, D&D, quests, writefaggotry, worldbuilding...).

Protip: Fun isn't quantifiable, and people have fun with D&D. That's all it needs to be popular.

I live in Poland.
People primarily play WFRP2 and D&D.
CoC, WoD, Savage Worlds and the like are in a tier of their own.
New RPGs aren't being released on the Polish market at all, so people stay in the cycle.

>Implying this hard

When you throw everything into the kitchen sink, it doesn't count as a proper setting, user.

The brand recognition is there because of the grognards, though. If you play nothing but DnD, and then mass-media makes jokes that basically equate the entire concept of tabletop games to DnD specifically, well, it's no wonder that newcomers will flock to it.

But it does have its own set of factions and rules regarding world travel. I mean its a frame-work setting but its still a setting.

>Are they really as old?
No. All of those are from the '80s, while D&D is from 1974.

It didn't have a default setting before 4e, though.

I I'm also a Pole (proszę powiedz, że szukasz graczy w pobliżu Krakowa) and that's why I'm pointing out the fact how obscure D&D can get. I mean... outside "cool kids" from Warsaw, nobody plays D&D in any serious quantity. Unless trying some 0D&D oldschool counts, like the guys from Biały Lew group.

The biggest joke of history is how with single publishing house simply leaving RPG market, entire fucking scene in Poland turned into bottle-community, with everything stuck as if was eternal 2003

Um... Infinite Worlds is a genuine setting, so what's your problem? It's about field agents of Home being dispatched (or going on their own) for missions in parallels.
It has pretty neat lore, setting, rules specific for itself and what not.

Also, there is Reign of Steel, but that's not native - that's simply the best GURPS setting to date.

>No. All of those are from the '80s, while D&D is from 1974.
user, please. No one cared about DnD before ADnD came out, and the entry point for the majority was 2e.

The fuck? Spoiler no longer works?!

DND is rules medium

>That homebrew bunch of guys played in their free time
>D&D came out in '74!
I know this is a bait thread, but come on! The game wasn't a thing since AD&D came out with the entire line of boxed sets

Brackets have never been spoiler you dingus.

3.X definitely isn't

>Try outside US of A
Why would we care about the opinions of those outside the civilized world? Do we really want to know what RPG is the most popular in Botswanna?

Being rule-medium doesn't mean it's not a clusterfuck of rules. The entire 3.X was build on memorising countless exceptions and building your character around them.

But was, you fucking cunt. And the content of the bracket was within spoiler tag.

Let's see if it works

It's still night/very early morning in States, Hans. No point pretending

Sory, jestem z okolic Gdańska.
Where all of my friends play 3.5, PF, 5e and I'm picking up 4e from my friend from Szczecin, because I really want to check it out.

Holy shit, spoiler tag officially broken

Nice to know. By 2012 Trójmiasto scene was dominated by guys excessively playing that clusterfuck of rules, Neuroshima. Didn't check ever since, because... well, Neuroshima.

No to dupa, w Gdańsku to ja bywam, jak wypływam na rejs albo są regaty

I like you.

We should be friends.

Silesian here, fuck you all Poles.

Also, is there even 5e in Polish? The biggest challenge to randomly assemble party is to get a game that is published in Polish, even if everyone in the group is fluent in 3 or more different languages.

>GURPS
Man, you know how said "D&D" is a marketable brand name?
GURPS is the opposite of that. GURPS doesn't tell you what it is, other than telling you that it literally isn't anything (generic is a word you never want to include in your brand name), and it ragdolls off the tongue with the misfortune of sounding just like "burps". Such an atrocious name for any product.

Spic here, its still D&D.
I saw a Pathfinder table once, though.

another polish person confirmed retarded
in other words, an ordinary day

Silesian, Polish and broken German don't count as language fluency, Bercik

I just hope you are not that fag from Katowice, who shit up GURPS gen few months ago and is dick-waving with MAG's Witcher as the best game ever made

Fuck Neuroshima with a rake, I agree. I had my worst sessions in that system and the writing is cringy, especially if, like all Poles, you came off freshly from playing Fallout all day all week.

D&D should rightly be more popular, because Neuroshima is a horseshit system, Savage Worlds/CoC/WoD is fairly underground and WFRP2, while a classic, also requires a much better GM than a D&D romp.

The Trójmiasto fandom is absolutely dead, by the way. No conventions for either the mangozjebs or the RPG players, so I would say my situation is a bit of an outlier anyway.

There is no 5e in Polish, sadly, no. The last edition was 4e. Like Krakowianon and I said, all RPG publishers went to board games because people don't play RPGs much anymore at all.

Also, friends, Silesian, Kashubian, Warsawian, Cracovian or not, but I'd appreciate no more hostilities in this thread. We are all children under one God, blessed be Virgin Mary.

>I never saw marketing for GURPS
Yeah, I've noticed.

It's sold the same way as LEGO is. There are sets, but the entire marketing emphasis is put on the fact you can take few sets, mix them together and get what you want to build.

And yeah, it's losing with D&D, because D&D gives you instead a flashy toy with sound and buttons to push. There are tons of pre-made scenarios, there is everything prepared for you and all you need is have that toy. Things only get complicated if you want to play something different using that toy.

Since when being Spanish counts as being spic?
Because it's 6 AM in all spic countries right now

Im in Ontario (Thats in Canada for the Americans) and have been on here since 1:15 AM, your theory is wrong there Ivan.

Why do Americans always forget about Canada? The nation that isn't imploding under it's own political bullshit? the only north american nation that'll be civilized after 2020?

Being so underinformed and xenophopic...must be a great place, this civilized 'world' you live i.

Due to a combination of being recognized as the first tabletop RPG and having been released at a socially opportune time (believe it or not, the D&D Satanism scares, in the long run, made a magnificent PR tool), it is now so much more recognizable than any other that to many, it is literally synonymous with the hobby. I've known quite a few people who likely to this day still refer to all RPGs as "D&D games", and to the vast majority of people, if they know the concept even exists D&D is likely what it's about. As a result, it is very nearly certain to be the first game anyone would play in their childhood and people will always have an unfairly favorable opinion of their first game. Combine this with much of the industry still being controlled by grognards wearing the same nostalgia glasses regarding their own first gaming experiences in the 70's and WoTC's OGL system making the go-to mechanic for 99.99% of shitty third party products to come out through the 90's, and you got an industry defining leviathan that's going to take a while to get rid of.

Sorry to disappoint you, but that's not me. But the guy was (somewhat) right, Witcher RPG is one of the better games made in the 90s, even if it was published in 2001 and definitely the only Polish game that doesn't suck.

I'm member of the Evangelic Church in Poland. Checkmate, tradition worshipper.

Why are Poles so Christian?

How in the hell is GURPS marketed anyway? Are they just subsisting on word of mouth and residual fanbase from the 90s peak? DFRPG got 1500 backers, which isn't bad.

>This butthurt
>This angry
>Canadian
You sound rather like a Québécois to me

>WoTC's OGL system making the go-to mechanic for 99.99% of shitty third party products to come out through the 90's
You mean '00s.

It's 8 AM.
Unless being on the one south american country that isn't falling apart at all times doesn't count as spic.

>Canada
>civilized
Enjoy those dogs while you can, Sharia forbids unclean animals.

>on Veeky Forums at 8 AM
Is there really so little to do in the favelas?

Yeah, sorry.

Good on you, user; as I said, we are all children under one God.
I try to stick to that belief even in my priesthood studies. John Paul II sought peace and understanding among the rabbis and the imams; I see no reason not to accept you as my brother.
Would love to play a game with you, too, since my immediate high school friends went off to different universities.

The trend of Poles being Christian is actually fading away with new generations. I hang around with my non-believer friends all the time and have no problem with that.

My faith has mostly been just a way to catalyze my soul-searching.
Still, oddly enough, my brief stint with Warhammer had me playing Chaos and I played my last D&D game as a Warlock.

The traditional way - adds in "trade" magazines, stands in gaming conventions and increasingly showing up in the net.
Basically, they marketing is roughtly 15 years behind when it comes to reaching their potential buyers. But the content of their adds is spot on, so when they eventually reach you, you are buying their stuff.

>Why are Poles so Christian?
Try ending up with situation where being Christian was the main and dominant way of being different from surrounding nations trying to conquer you.
Then add Church role as being a way of telling commie regime "fuck you" simply by attending mass.

>3.X definitely isn't
>The entire 3.X was build on memorising countless exceptions and building your character around them.
Do you have ADD or is this just baseless shitposting?

I wouldn't know.

Hunfag here.

At least you got 4e.

The last translated D&D we got was 3rd edition.

The only one that is 8 AM is also falling apart, so the fuck you are talking, Huehuelander? Also - since when Huehueland is spic?

At least you guys have your own high-quality RPGs, right? :^)

You mean ADD as disease or ADD as D&D 2.X?

Also, only the xxx38 post is mine. And yeah, ADD was also fucking shit when it comes to rules, but you could still made a working and functional character without trying to abuse the system or pulling some obnoxious combo of broken feats.

I don't know how you arrived to that conclusion.
I only said it wasn't falling apart.
That rules out hueland.

Oh yes, M.A.G.U.S. the greatest RPG ever made, a pity it's only in Hungarian, or it would surely have conquered the market from D&D by now.

please send help, I don't know how much longer I can take this

Why don't more of these games have rules translations into the native language?

>D&D 2.X
I think this is the first time I have ever seen AD&D referred to as 2.X.

WoD, at least oWoD had its fair days in late 90s, when goth and metal subcultures were at their peak.
And the more years pass since then, the more I miss all those people with whom you could easily and on spot improvise a game of Masquerade.
Or CoC.

The only scene that isn't ultra-dead is Silesian one, since the RPG part of Silesian Club of Fantasy is pretty active and organises on their own games even for non-members. When I was still studying, I was always catching a train to be at their games each Thursday.
Now I have problem to organise game among combined forces of UJ, AGH and UR. It's a wonder if I manage to assemble a single group out of three universities.
And we end up either with fucking Wild Fields when the majority of players consists of historyfags or all those new, untranslated games that we try to play once and for 2nd game half of the group doesn't show up.

>You mean ADD as disease or ADD as D&D 2.X?
As in the disease. Building a character is easy is shit if you've read the rules, like, once.

>trying to abuse the system or pulling some obnoxious combo of broken feats.
what stops you from doing that in 3.5? And honestly, 3.5 is on the harder side of games to break, as you actually need to put in some consideration into it. No one accidentally stumbles upon an infinite wish combo. Compare this to FATE or something, where just normally building a character can just break everything because skills aren't balanced at all.

>Wild Fields
Jezu Chryste Swięta Panienko, co jeszcze? Monastyr?

RPG don't make enough dosh to do that. Only the really big-name ones like D&D and Shadowrun have translations, apart from the odd smaller ones like Mutant Chronicles or Coriolis or Anima.

Hey, you've got Codex as well.

Deliciously anglophone.

it's just shit like this guy;
that piss me off. because he's is afraid of shit that's not happening, and is supporting (based on his behavior) the mentality that different = bad.

OH NOES ANOTHER RELIGION WHAT EVER SHALL I DO.

we aren't a country built by religion, and muslims arn't going to be destroying our country, just like the irish didn't destroy yours (they gave you christmas so that is actuaally debatable), the polish didn't really do anything evil when they came over, and the irrational hate for the spansih is really only hurting your own economy and social standerd.

So really, if it means that poor people don't get to live in fear of their government (america) arn't fucked if they get a cold or a broken arm (america) or afraid for their lives because they happen to be fucking black (ameri- actually that happens here too, it's just not the shit we use to fill our news cycle, and per capita we have significantly less violent crime)

I'd rather live in a country with decent (and getting better!) education (public schools are a good thing yo, and thats a federal level thing to handle), Decent (and getting better!) health care, and decent (and getting better) job prospects (ehhh)

Really i'm butthurt that a lot of people in the states, and here, don't really care what happens to thier neighbour, and choose to be filled with misery and hate.

Muslims aren't the enemy. It's radical terror organisations (and domestic terrorists) that are.

but hey, being Kind and a good person is hard when all you care about is the economy, so i get why you boil it down to US VS THEM.

I just think it's awful childish

Monastyr is finally dead. For good. Jesus, that game was a fucking piece of shit. It fucking made Neuroshima look good by comparison.
Hell, it still makes even Wolsung look good by comparison.

Why the fuck there are no even half-decent Polish games? I mean with the size of the scene in the 90s, they came up with grand total of TWO non-sucking (but still pretty bad) games: Wild Fields and Witcher.

Unless we count De Profundis as a game, that is.

But want to hear absolute kicker? Two years on Pyrkon there were guys looking for two more players to play Crystals of Time.
In fucking 2015

>Wolsung
>Crystals of Time
Hah. Add Earthdawn to the shitpile.

My remaining friends just prefer to play Talisman, and, when you're trying to become a priest, it's kinda difficult to get other young priests to play this game about casting spells and stuff.

Spain. Pathfinder became more popular since WotC refused to translate D&D 5e and 4e was a flop.

>Add Earthdawn to the shitpile.
As in the Shadowrun prequel system?

TL;DR version;
i think it's more uncivilized to hate an entire people based on some straw, man.

Yeah, it was, for some reason, a thing in Poland. Moreso than actual Shadowrun, at least from what I remember.

I mean, look at this retardation: wspieram.to/Earthdawn

Can someone explain me this shit?
WotC first shoot itself in both legs with the way how they've mishandled marketing for 4e and then they deny to publish translations of 5e in any other language that is not English.
While handling 3.X for free.

Is this some sort of grand marketing scheme for 6e running for over a decade or they are just fucking retarded and cut themselves from customers on their own decision?

>Is D&D popular for good reason?
The only reason is Americans, so no.

If you ask anyone who doesn't play tabletop roleplaying games to name such a game, D&D is going to be the first answer 90% of the time.

Imagine that I cannot read Polandese.

Is it some sort of Polish Kickstarter analogue, and these guys are trying to fund a translation of ED4E?

Yep.

Yup. Cyberpunk 2020 was pretty popular, and along with it Earthdown.
For whatever reason, Shadowrun wasn't even published in Polish, as far as I'm concerned. And if it did, then nobody plays it anyway.

>That cringefest trying to explain the failure of collecting money
If only they didn't establis a goal equal with a price of a new sport car... Top fucking kek!

It's from poor's man kickstarter. And they've set a goal so grandiose goal it was bound to fail. In fact, I'm amazed they've managed to collect 1/4 of their goal at all, that's how unbelivably high it was.
Also, followed by a lot of butthurt and genuine surprise the action failed.

To put it into international perspective - they were trying to collect roughtly a quarter million goal for a nostalgia game that maybe you and that kid from the other class HEARD about as a kid, but never played.

... in what country?

Canada and the USA. I bet it might be different in other countries, but for a fact I know D&D is the most common one here.

Mate, you don't know what you're wishing for. Russian translations are full of such incredible brain farts as "HIV Elves" instead of Wych Elves and "Blood Presses" instead of Bloodcrushers.

FUCKING BURKINA FASO ONLY PLAYS THE UMGUNGUNDLOVU AKSKIKUMBA, A GAME ABOUT POST-NUCLEAR AFRICANS SCAVENGING FOR SHIT IN THE WASTELAND WHILE ROLEPLAYING 19TH CENTURY ZULUS

IT'S A D6 SYSTEM

BECAUSE ONLY D6 CAN BE MADE WITH STALE BREAD

> And honestly, 3.5 is on the harder side of games to break, as you actually need to put in some consideration into it.
Breaking 3.5 is as easy as playing a Druid and looking up some cool animal companions and animals you can wildshape into.

>He's either a genuine seminary student or at least pretends to be one
Not sure what's more hilarious here in the context of tabletop RPG.

But then again, when I was still in high school, the priest behind religion classes was a former metalhead and he was running the school's "RPG Fridays". In fact, he was one of the better GMs I've ever had. And no religious problems whatsoever.
Now they've moved him to fucking Siberia, because he was too good to last as a vicar.

user, D&D is dead. 6E is just an online game.

>Let's ignore the existence of entire Western Europe, because surely, those guys must play D&D too, right? ... right?

>looking up some cool animal companions and animals you can wildshape into
>going to char op boards for optimal combos means it's easy to break
yeah, nah, you're a cunt,

>HIV Elves
Are you pulling my leg? How do you even get from Wyches to HIV?

I've always wondered if there's some kind of canadian secret service that monitors all the citizens to ensure they hit their internet virtue signalling quota for the day

It's literally just being a bear druid.

I said "cool" not "optimal". You don't need to go online. You don't need to know the first thing about optimization. You just need to play a druid and pick options that look cool.

>implying bear or wolf druids break the game or are even top tier
if you don't know shit about the system you should not be allowed to comment on it.

It's Russian quality translation.

Want better stuff? Till the early 00s, not sure if it was 02 or 03, due to the existing law in Czech, EVERYTHING have to be given a new name according to rules of Czech language. Including translating fucking surnames or switching them for Czech-sounding. So you had stuff like Netoperek (Batman) or Tina Turnerova (go fucking figure).
Oh, and if it was film or TV series - mandatory dubbing

Needless to say, Czech RPG scene almost entirely sticks to English translations, because at least they can then look up things in the net, while trying to find them by the Czech translation and trying to re-translate it back to English would be impossible.

Every western country.

>You don't need to optimalise
>But you should
You are defeating your own argument here

In the games I played in? They absolutely did.

It has a huge market presence, and mechanics that even many non-TTRP people have some familiarity with through RPG computer-games, which helps set the bar pretty low for entrance.

As a game-world goes, it is sort of a blank canvas. It has EVERYTHING, and anything can be fitted in. Want Wild West? Homebrew a little, and use whatever other people already made.
Want space? - Sure, D&D can be in space.

There's a lot of space for new players to get creative with their characters. You can justify almost anything, depending on your GMs sense of laissez faire.
Just - somewhat poorly placed "medieval fantasy" with magic and whatever you wanna throw in. That makes it accessible.

And it is - like any TTRP - as fun as the DM and the players make it.
So yeah, I'd say it is popular for a good reason. It is the natural entry-level thing, both in feel, atmosphere and rules, and that is exaclty what it tries to be.

As a DM I find it absolutely lacking in moodsetting and atmosphere, compared to narrower games, with a more controlled world, but for what it is, it's pretty good.

After all, keeping a specific atmosphere also requires more stringent RP from your players, and understanding of the Universe, which all makes the learning curve steeper, and that is exactly what D&D does not want to do.

>implying they DON'T break the game
Unless your buddy who wants to play a fighter is making a fully optimized dungeon crasher build or something similar, you'll still be better than him at everything.

German here and I call bullshit.

Shadowrun is the first thing just about ANYONE will relate with RPG. Followed by Warhammer Fantasy.