Do you allow your PCs to haggle or are all prices set?

Do you allow your PCs to haggle or are all prices set?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=zpMljKCSyXg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Unless they're in a bumfuck village somewhere all prices are set in stone.

Always haggle unless it's a modern day store.

All prices start at least double PHB standard.

I sometimes allow haggling, depending on setting-appropriateness and whether I feel like I have time for that bullshit.

>tfw haggle the fuck out of everything as a PC unless it's just not worth it

Do you allow your PCs diplomacy checks or are all conversations played through IC?

No. Diplomacy is only for convincing other intelligent creatures to be peaceful with you. Heck, I'm in a heavy roleplaying campaign (%75+ of each session is spent IC chatting, maybe %25 combat) and we haven't rolled a single diplomacy check in about 7 sessions.

I haggle IRL, and the DM lets me haggle
If a DM tried to stop me, I'd haggle for the possibility to haggle
The most important Diplomacy checks are the ones done with the DM himself

They can always haggle.

Since typically systems use a 100% buy/ 50% sell, it doesn't significantly harm the balance by allowing a 90% buy or a 60% sell, especially if someone has specialized in trade or diplomacy.

The only rule I have is that there's no opportunity for profit I don't explicitly put into the setting/session: There might be a shortage of coke in Coalburg, but splitting ladders into 10 foot poles or crashing the tool/weapon market with wall of iron/fabricate are no-goes.

Do you want to spend all night dicking around over the price of lantern oil or do you want to get on with the fucking adventure?

It is a must.

As a GM, you keep track of their haggling practices, and adapt the markets. All stores are escentially franchises, so they set their prices in stone, and yearly they adapt.

The merchant sells you something starting at 150% price so you haggle and get the price for 110% price. The merchant should also haggle for cheaper goods from the PCs.

Essentialy, inflation, supply and demand.

As for the players, what are you, stupid? Haggle the GM at everything. Make bets with enemies, and honor said bets.

Sir loadsamoney

No, because that's too much like work. You don't need to roleplay out the shopping.

Pretty much everyone in my age group has worked retail at some point anyway, so there's no shared desire to revisit it.

Set.

I'm not double/tripling a shopping session.

I've worked in retail too, haggling is not a part of it, unless you're working for a Mom and Pop niche store, like an antique shop, or for a Pawn shop. The only other time I could see it coming up, real world wise, is selling shit personally to people you know and maybe black market deals but that one is especially risky.

I'd guess you've never bought a Car or House. Offers and counter-offers are the norm for both.

No I haven't but I did forget those, my bad.

No because it's extra work for the DM and in a large (6 person) group I don't like wasting time shopping. The most I'll do is paraphrase "I haggle a bit (roll Persuasion) and pay whatever we agree on then go on our way"

As a caveat to ,

Meaningful haggling: You don't haggle down every little thing, and you especially don't haggle on "essentials"

You can't haggle on small purchases of staples. You can't haggle on spell components (You ever seen what discount bat guano does to your fireballs?)

It does kinda walk into that old RAW circlejerk about the wizard who eliminated necromancy on his plane of existence by crashing the price of Onyx.

Really difficult to raise skeletons when 25gp of Onyx is 100lbs.

>not haggling
It's like you want to be ripped off.

I'll often do one more and consider the quality of an item, and a player with no relevant skills (appraisal, to some degree barter, perception for basic items) can find themselves in trouble if they aren't careful about how they haggle. Also, haggle rolls are usually blind, so they don't know how well they do outside of how the shopkeep reacts.

Context clues are extremely important. Going to a quality store basically kills your chances of getting bad or faulty product, but they aren't going to move off their prices without a lot of effort. Buying from less reputable places is a crapshoot. If they're willing to come down, there's a chance what they're selling you isn't worth it in the first place, but you'll be paying the same if not more if you take it at face value. It's a gamble.

Depending on the quality of an item, bad things can happen. Poor spell components are one of the most fun- anything from wild magic to explosive failure, to the spell being an illusion that doesn't actually do anything, etc...

The GM cockblocked me from doing it.

Any PC who doesn't haggle in my games is subjected to at least one "Wait, that's it? Hang on, we're supposed to haggle! Burt, this bloke won't haggle!" moment, just to make damn sure they know the option exists and is strongly suggested. But most of the time it's abstractable to a skill check, since it's not really worth the time to play out unless it furthers or creates plot.

My GM loves roleplaying as shopkeepers
Except everytime it's like we're dealing with a snake oil salesman
Holy shit the shopkeeper could have a rich and prosperous shop, and he's still trying to sell us shitty "magic" items and rip us off

youtube.com/watch?v=zpMljKCSyXg

Depends on the type of game. Normally I don't. It just takes up too much time for it to be worth the hassle to turn every time the PCs buy and sell into a negotiation and an opposed roll or set of rolls.

In a survival type of game though, especially one where there is no such thing as a uniform currency, there's a lot of haggling though.

Unless you want to play a game based on mercantile and haggling, you should just assume that prices are set for convenience.

>Using RAW to manipulate the price of components until they are physically infeasible to carry.

Fucking amazing.

Pretty much this. Shopping for us is often relegated to things done between sessions when applicable. If you're in the middle of nowhere, won't happen, but if someone wants to buy and sell a few things, that can be done when everyone's bumming around the towns/cities between quests, along with other actions like training, investigating/researching, or other background actions.

Haggling is one of those things that I find is just not worth the time when everyone else is at the table, typically ready to go on something.

There's been news reports done where they showed that you can in fact haggle prices at most retailers. Managers and sometimes salespeople do have leeway in sale prices just buy haggling. You've probably done this to a lesser extent when you've gotten stores to match a competitor's prices, or convinced the cashier to honor a dubious coupon.