Malifaux General

Bureaucracy Edition

Malifaux: mega.nz/#F!cg00BCoD!mDHocpgWP_hkkM3CpCBwrQ

Through the Breach: mega.nz/#F!Z9sVSYTS!U2J243KhVsUuOqAnsqTj4A

Book 1 - Basic Rules and first wave of updated (from 1st edition of Malifaux) models
Book 2 - Second wave of updated models and scenarios
Book 3 - Campaign system and new M2E models
Book 4 - Entirely new models and scenarios

Discord voice chat for Malifaux chat and memery: discord.gg/xWkuFRz

Through the Breach Fated Almanac - Basic rules for the RPG set in Malifaux
Through the Breach Fatemaster Almanac - GM stuff for the RPG

>What is Malifaux?
Malifaux is a 32mm Skirmish Tabletop game, with a focus on completing several different objectives, while denying your opponent their objectives.

Gaining Grounds Tournament Rules: themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/123837-gaining-grounds-2017/

What do you guys expect from book 5?

Other urls found in this thread:

themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/122101-night-in-malifaux-building-a-malifaux-city-board/
youtube.com/watch?v=IR6XlkifQ0c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>What do you guys expect from book 5?

I'm going to be annoyed when they bring out more models that patch the weaknesses of factions while bloating the game unnecessarily.

But the new Master upgrades (Mk.2, Veteran, whatever" mite b cool.

I don't think that the game will be especially bloated, but rounding out all weaknesses can be an issue. Though I may just be salty after bringing excorsists against a Ressurectionist player who had no undead models in their crew.

What I really want to see is a new system of some sort. Crossroads gave us scenarios, and Shifting Loyalties gave us campaigns. Something big like that to make up for no new masters would be rad.

Personally i think new masters, totems and upgrades are the best way to add new models without causing bloat issues, because you can't take multiple of them at once. Upgrades can be made limited, you can only (usually) have one totem and certainly you can't have two masters.
Another really solid idea could be to add a new mini-faction with some gimmick like not having many of its own models, but being able to hire strange lists through its master upgrades. Sort of a faction with 3 or 4 jack daw style masters and a handful of its own models.

Did they actually say that they were adding new master upgrades somewhere? Conflux and Avatar upgrades for wave 4 masters at least is given.

No, they didn't as far as I'm aware - it's just something that's been repeated around here as a good idea fror so long that I've seen others referring to it as inevitable fact.

I'd have to say I don't really like either of those suggestions.
New Masters are already stepping on each others' toes as far as niche-filling, or being "the [this Faction] version of [other Master]", goes.

The idea of a keyword/gimmick faction could have some legs, but the Outcasts/Mercenaries already kind of have that.

Prompted by the OP mention, I've been reading througha few of the scenarios from Crossroads, and a few of them are pretty cool.
I wouldn't mind a bunch of good solid scenarios, perhaps very well-playtested and tailored for specific Masters or even crews, the way historical wargame scenarios go.

Albus Von Schtook needs to be a master damn it. Fuck all this anti-content "bloat" bullshit.

And English Ivan

Oh, I could stand for a few more Crossroads Seven/Regiments of Renown/Special-er Character crews.

I make 32ss for the Students all together - how would you bring that up to 50ss?

Schtook with 4-5ish stones average upgrades, totem with 2ss cost, some upgrades only academics can take (which in ressur is a short list) and the ability to take academics as undead. Schtook should have something similar to McMourning's Plastic Surgery where he can make his enemies count as living, undead, constructs or even all three!

Actually thinking about it again, perhaps his box could include himself, a new henchman (perhaps a teacher that can hand out living, construct and undead to foes) and rather than the academics hiring thing his totems are the screaming masses of people he is trying to abduct! They deploy at least 12 inches from his deployment zone, move through strange rules like clockwork traps and his crew gets bonuses for killing/abducting them! They could also have their own little ways of harassing enemies, like engaging them as they try to stop the person to get them to save them or counting as cover for Albus' crew.

Oh and of course when they die they should cause horror checks to nearby living foes, a little bit like hamelin's kids.

Just got Lucius and going to tournament.
I was thinking of going with Lucius or Sonnia/Perdita.
What would be a good list for Lucius. Dont have any Neverborne, only Guild.

Fairly new to Malifaux, can someone give me a brief summary of each factions gimmick? I get Resurectionists.

That sounds pretty good, actually.
New mechanics,doesn't stand on too many toes.

Here's a stupid list that I want to try
Performer to give negative flips
Tara to give fast to the desperate mercs so they have plus flips for being injured and 6 attacks
Not sure on the rest of the list

Do you use a program or some site to build lists like this? Or are you just photoshopping it?

It's crewfaux, an app on the play store, not sure if it's on iphones.

Cool thanks

>Guild
>Putting lead down range, general direct damage.
>Arcanists
>Casting actions and imbued energy.
>Neverborn
>Movement tricks, close combat, and attacks on willpower.
>Outcasts
>Control and damage.
>Ten Thunders
>Buffing basic models and lots of positive flips.
>Gremlins
>Self harm for a variety of benefits. Also shooting.

What does everyone think of yokai outside of an Asami crew? I hjave heard that you can do shenanigans with them with McCabe, by making place three scheme markers within a turn to get set up.

Another player coming into Malifaux. Watched the game for a few years with some interest while playing the Warmachine/Hordes and nothing quite caught my eye.

But come this last weekend I saw the most cowboy/bandit model ever and I want in. Would it be fine to start out with Parker Barrows and what would be some solid early purchases beyond his box?

Parker isn't a bad start. He doesn't rely on summoning or similar bullshit so you shouldn't need to invest too much to get a full sized crew. Outside of his box, Sue isn't a bad idea, a beater like Killjoy or Ashes & Dust would be prudent, and of course Dead Outlaws should provide in their role. Beyond that most decent Outcasts models should be fine.

Is there a reason everywhere but wyrd itself is out of mindless zombies? I have my new carrion emissary and I'd like to use it without sheepishly asking if my opponent has one or if I can proxy a 30mm base for one.

Gamenerdz has them for $25 and free shipping in the US.

Cool, thanks.

Though one concern at the moment, I can't seem to find a place online stocking it and I see things from last year summer talking about it and such. I guess he's not out yet? Quite a wide gap in time for a release, but from what I've seen sometimes Wyrd is rather slow.

He was temporarily put on pre-sale during Gencon and Black Friday. He will be out for regular release in a month or two.

Wyrd isn't slow with releasing stuff, really. But they are really slow in other departments. Where the fuck is the Iconic Fate Deck reissue after 9 months? Or the avatar base inserts that they are "Still working on"?

Ah, that sucks, but probably for the best at the moment. Can spend some time getting the hang of the game in general.

Can you guys tell me some companies that make decent Malifaux terrain besides plascraft?

Thanks, I hadn't heard of them and they seem to have some sweet discounts.

Customeeple also makes official Malifaux terrain. Otherwise you really shouldn't limit yourself to official stuff. Pic related was the terrain that Wyrd used at Gencon, which are just the Pegasus Hobbies gothic building kits rather than anything super expensive or unique.

Keep in mind that Parker will certainly be put up for pre-sale again during the Easter Sale. If he isn't already generally released at that point that is.

Thanks, I'm familiar with customeeple from infinity. I'm not necessarily looking for official terrain. I'm just not really familiar with the setting.

The city of Malifaux itself is supposed to have architecture of all styles and from all periods up to 1906, so you should be fine with lots of existing appropriately scaled pieces.

Some guys at the local store use a bunch of porcelain Santa's village buildings on a mat for their table, which works out surprisingly well.

Awesome! It also looks like gothic horror elements would be perfect as well.

Yeah, my flgs is using a bunch of cobblestone/wood buildings that works better for any other fantasy game. I've only recently started, but I'd like to get some proper terrain as well. Thanks for your help!

You could also take it into a more Western direction to represent the Bayou/Latigo flair.

Pic related is Micro Arts Studios. They (and Bandua) also make more saloon looking things, maybe combine it with a customeeple train, if that's your thing?

>Yeah, my flgs is using a bunch of cobblestone/wood buildings that works better for any other fantasy game.
It is even worse for me. Every time I park my Izamu behind a destroyed Rhino I have the inclination to shake my head.

Also, while not really what you are asking for, but I have always liked this little record of making terrain based on the official art almost entirely out of foam and coffee stirrers.
themostexcellentandawesomeforumever-wyrd.com/topic/122101-night-in-malifaux-building-a-malifaux-city-board/
Not a bad idea if you are going for the gothic horror look.
If you are going f

Yeah, I've noticed the western look on some of the tables. Even swampy boards like in pic related I found on google.

There's a lot of flexibility for themes.

Thanks! I'll check it out.

Damn, that looks amazing!
Would be a great project for my budding Zoraida Crew.

Speaking of Zoraida: Any anons here wanna help me decide how to expand on Momma Z?
I was thinking about either getting Waldgeists or Wisps first (eventually both)
I already have McT from my Gremlins and aim for a swampfiend heavy crew
Thoughts?

Those of you who play Through the Breach;

The last character you made is now a Henchman. How do they play?

Thanks user

Support/Beater
>Drains enemies of blood
>Hands out blood to living friendly models
>Has the four arm talent and can heal from extracting blood.
>Faction Guild
Also reminds me that I'd really love to get a full session of the game in.

With the Path of Sinew on your augmented?

I'm enjoying Path of Steel on mine (Though I get the feeling Sinew is a bit better)

Still, Karin (Said PC) would be a god damn bastard to deal with in the TT. She just capped out Augmented, which was fun.

>Hard to wound
>Hard to kill
>Armour 4 + Metal On Metal.
>Can take a point of damage to get a positive flip on any roll.

Then again, she's also an Acanist. Everyone brings the armour ignoring when they fight arcanists.

Newbie here. Never heard of malifaux before but I've been looking for a mordheim alternative and a friend of mine recomended I look into this. Can someone give me a tl;dr of how the game plays/feels?

Krueger is an invested and basically made to be a big blood bag bot to help keep guardsmen and other such living models alive. Then when he knows they're doing okay take to the field and strike back.

I also tried my best to make him very tough to kill which I feel like that's what sinew does really. Steel makes you a monster because you start to ignore so many defensive abilities.

I am glad to hear that someone has gotten to actually play through what seems to be a lot of the game judging by your post. Did you ever alternate your careers for your character for Krueger I wanted to do Sawbones just for more support and interesting options with the doc bag.

Minigame with no dice and a card deck instead with more control over outcomes and more objectives than just pummeling each other to death.

youtube.com/watch?v=IR6XlkifQ0c

Karin was (Game ended a while ago) 19 steps into the game. She had rather a lot of stuff under her belt.

>Augmented 10
>Engineer 7
>Dabbler 1
>Tinkerer 1

Karin was almost entirely focused on being a fantastic engineer but that came with some upsides when you've replaced most of your body with stuff. Her usual battle plan was 'Jesus christ, Karin just punched a man through a wall with her Crusher Arm'.

The general joke with her was a slightly more human version of the Big O.

She's a girl from the ottoman empire who's mother was an Arcanist Operative and herself wants to get a good reputation as a skilled engineer. She's honestly too idealistic for the Arcanists, being very bad at wetwork and too prone to 'Hey, can we talk this out?'

TT-wise I'm not sure she'd really have a place. Arcanists don't really lack for 'God damn tough melee monster constructs with loads of armour'

Addendum: I must say, I really do like how easily the game supports dipping and multiclassing. The game doesn't really penalise you if you want to split between a few things rather than mono-focus.

That's still real awesome to hear I do hope to one day find a group willing to run it and hopefully I can be apart of that group.

I really enjoy the way the multiclassing works picking it at the start of the game so that you have some flexibility session to session.

Krueger story wise is meant to be a bit like a Frankenstein monster abandoned by his original creator he tries to find his purpose in life. Admittedly no one would've thought it would be a nurturing and caring role such as a doctor but turns out he cares for the well being of those around him as being as tough as he is he may very well see one of his friends die one day. So that's why he's always telling them to take their vitamins staying away from bayou moonshine and encourages his buddies to find good people with which they can procreate and spawn babies.

Slightly unrelated to the above story but I'd actually quite like it if somehow this character in whatever way would met Hoffman.

Best of luck finding a game.

I have another character lined up to play some time (Just got to find a game)

Yukimura Chou, a former Geisha (With an utter loathing of Oirans as they result in everyone assuming that a Geisha involves prostitution) and rather decent gunslinger (As she's got too much pride to be an Oiran but there isn't much call for Geishas in Malifaux)

Classwise, Illusionist/Infiltrator. Not likely to be the toughest ever but between Illusionist and Infiltrator it's going to be a pain in the ass to actually get an attack on her. That and she gets to be a fun social character as well.

Thank you
I've also got some ideas for some for other possible characters both of which are gremlins.

I like the Geisha idea as I think it plays more into the seducer/charmer but just with a promise of words rather than one of flesh.

The two gremlins I have in mind are first a swine herd who loves his pigs but wishes he could join them in their pork related fun. So I'd likely try to aim for the character to become a primal and try to take down a big pig related beast likely aiming for the suicidal goal of warpig.

The other gremlin character is a gremlin who happened to see a picture of a knight riding on a dragon and thought he could do better than that guy. So he tamed a silurid and rides today as a hero of the bayou at least he likes to think so.

>The other gremlin character is a gremlin who happened to see a picture of a knight riding on a dragon and thought he could do better than that guy. So he tamed a silurid and rides today as a hero of the bayou at least he likes to think so.

A funny thing with stuff like that:

Gremlins can ride a Jackalope. Jackalopes can jump their charge distance as a 0 action and are impossible to perma-kill. They are also low enough tier to be taken as a starting mount for a gremlin buckaroo.

Interesting thing for me to think about then. Makes me wish I had my book on me right now so I could see how viable a gator mount would be later on.

It would be deadly as hell (Don't forget to check out the changes they made to riding in Into the Bayou. Let's you spend your actions to have the mount make melee attacks).

Those two (And the giant mosquito) are the three best gremlin mounts imo. The jackalope is very agile and survivable, the mosquitos are fastest and the gator is the melee monster of the trio.

Honestly kinda wish there was more options for human-sized people to ride. I'm hoping that I can convince a GM when I get to play a buccaroo to let me use the Husbandry trigger (An animal you raised gets a mutation of your choice) on my starting horse to give a little more versatility.

Nice thing that
I think I remember looking over that trigger it does state beneath it what sort of mutations you can get on the mount right? What would you be aiming for?

It gets a rank in the monster class that gives mutations. The class has them listed.

I'd totally go with Wings. I've got a motherfucking Pegasus for my mount. Faster than a Mosquito but doesn't really do much beyond mobility.

Funny thing: Of the various creatures that RAW a human can ride? One of them is the Waldgeist. It's a minion-tier beast even though it's a giant killer tree.

At that point you should consider investing in heavy rifles and all that and name your mount Root. Still sounds like a real fun concept. Actually two funny ideas off of yours taking that trigger with a gator, pig, or jackalope a true terror of the sky's.

>At that point you should consider investing in heavy rifles and all that and name your mount Root.

God dammit, I didn't even think of that joke. Dammit.

But yeah, as a Minion you can't start with it (Peon only) but once you spot one you can ride it.

You could also make it your animal companion if you were a feral.

Tips for playing Dreamer in the most salt inducing way possible? I have all of the nightmares except the bandersnatch.

Which class do you think summons gamin the best? Mage right?

I'd go with Dabbler over mage myself.

Mage is good if you want to summon Gamins of a particular sort. So say, Fire Gamin all the time.

The highly focused nature of mage makes it so that it's not as versatile though. A dabbler could know summon gamin and several elements to get versitilty.

On the other hand: Mage can get you access to Summon Golem(Eventually). Something that Dabblers can't do if you want yourself a big, scary minion.

Hm mage does seem to be highly focused and not nearly as flexible.

You know I can't wait for wyrd to announce and release the neverborn book. I'm excited to see the character creation setup.

Yeah. Mage is good for...well, sort of D&D sorcerer vs D&D Wizard.

The mage is good for 'I have X theme, I can work within said theme to do some crazy shit'. The dabbler is good for 'I have a lot of stuff I can do, even if I'm not the king of each of them'

A mage I played (Briefly) had a combination spell that was kinda hilarious (In part because the DC to make it as a non-mage would be way too high). Teleport + Paired Spell(Invisibility). Now you see me, now you don't.

Do any of the prestige classes look at all interesting to you? I original thought death marshal would be cool but it's a bit constraining as most of them are.

The ones in the early books are more limited than the ones in the late books. I'm rather hoping with the 2.0 corebook they redo them to be more interesting.

Anyway, none of them are bad (Remember: They don't cost steps so you'll still advance in your normal class) but I particularly like the December-based ones. Nice fancy tricks and a lot of style.

Would be cool if they added excutioner and guild lawyer and redid the other ones.

Which master is the most advanced to play in your opinion?

I'd honestly remove 'Guild' from 'Guild Lawyer' there. Especially with the new one in arcanists.

I tend to support a bit wider in theme when it's something that doesn't feel 100% linked to a faction (Unlike say, Death Marshal)

Also one last thing I have a hard time trying to really understand the purpose of boozer. Is it meant to be a controller like brewie?

I'd imagine journalist would be a new and interesting social class.

Kirai has a high skill cap and brutal learning curve. She's powerful, but most people don't see the effort required to be a good Kirai player. Everyone seems to think people pick her up and instantly begin winning every game.

Pretty much, yeah. It's control/defence. One of the VERY few sources of Paralyzed in the RPG.

It's capstone is also one of the best in the game if you have a good supply of booze.

You are a class devoted to having booze. You should damnwell have enough to fuel you.

Yeah, journalist and lawyer are two I could see being classes. With the two subclasses (Sorta, since you can pick freely with most of them.) being 'Abilities based around devotion to the concept of truth/justice' and 'Abilities based around abusing it like a beaten wife'

Wish moon shinboi was a prestige class

I think that there are definitely a few classes that they could add to spice things up. Like scrapper having the ability to jump into some of the monks like low river and all that.

Get wisps initially. I would grab someone like Iggy or a nurse to put some hate on the voodoo doll. Of course waldgeists+McTavish+hexed among us are a great combination.

You can use wisps with the spawn mother in order to spit out more gups.

It really isn't like Mordheim in terms of the actual gameplay. Mechanically it is much more influenced by Warmahordes than by anything GW has done. They did release a book with campaign rules however (Shifting Loyalties), so if that is what matters to you then it is a good choice. It has everything you would want from a skirmish game campaign system except your dudes.

Essentially is a very card game esque deal where the core rules are straightforward, but each model has a bunch of abilities printed on the front and back of a card. You have to prioritize accomplishing and objectives and denying your opponent theirs.,

Be aware that the Performer's Seduction very rarely gets you anywhere unless you can get three or more models in that pulse - the Wp duel is not that hard.
I never manage to take more than a single card off my opponent - in the unlikely event that I get someone, it tends to be someone they can happily hide for the turn, or were going to let die anyway.

That looks very good.

Someone here a play tester?
Some overview? PDF?

What's the deal with hiring models that normally have Flicker in a campaign?

Do they take injuries if they Flicker out?

For The Other Side?

Wave 5

How many people here actually play with a completely different list for each game?

Of my locals, I can't think of more than one guy that doesn't have basically one Master they play, with one extra they use for Strats their main is unsuitable for.
And for each Master, they have a 25ss core that's the same, and then is filled out with models that don't differ greatly regardless of Master.

I make a conscious effort to pick varied lists, but it's pretty difficult to convince myself that it's a good idea, even if I do get a feel for a wider part of the faction than I might otherwise.

No. As you pointed out it isn't always a good idea and there generally isn't a reason too. I would say that models do vary based on master though. When I play Asami for instance I often bring Tannen, Hannah, and Anna along for the ride, when most wouldn't consistently use them with any other TT master.

How would you make Malifaux have a greater focus on Your Dudes?

By being a completely different game. Your dudes just doesn't make any sense in a game where everyone has unique card gamey abilities, and you can't do any meaningful customization because the game demands ad-hoc list building. It works in the RPG, but in a balanced one on one competitive wargame it falls apart.

Eh, I've always been of the mind you're free to interpret them as you make them. Paint up your du Bois as a black voodoo dancer and call her something else as long as you got the stat card so people know it's du Bois it all works.

I did that with Warmahordes a lot.

That is correct. Flicker ending means that they are sacrificed rather than being removed from play. Not lore friendly, but I do like to imagine that the oni are dragging themselves back to the material world, sustaining injuries as they do, in order to rush to your service.