/40krpg/ 40k Roleplay General

"Agreement is Heresy" edition

For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

Not sure between starting Dark Heresy 1e and 2e? Pick 2e.

>Why did FFG lose the 40k RPG License?
Because they were bought by Asmodee and that caused some sort of licensing conflict.

>Will GW make their own 40k RPGs now?
Probably not. But if they do it will likely be worse than you could possibly imagine.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Mars Needs Women! (v1.2.15) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/w1d6aq5cdr6anmh

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.13) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/d28i243u2k7di3z

Prev: What good is a homebrew "unified system" when all it will create is multiple standards akin to that XKCD comic, where nobody can agree on a true standard?

Other urls found in this thread:

app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71756/reclaiming-askellon
mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What good is a homebrew "unified system" when all it will create is multiple standards akin to that XKCD comic, where nobody can agree on a true standard?
Because that's better than having none at all. At least having a ordered PDF for other game lines is something to work off, even if you don't agree with it.
My group is currently trying to run Rogue Trader through DH2 and while it works most of the time, it's still pretty janky having to refer to a bunch of different books.

What are some useful party skills to have in DH2E? My character has the charisma and social charm of a peeled potato so that's not my strong suit.

I remember the time I played a dreadnaught in deathwatch. Fun as hell but tiny doors were the bane of my existence.

Thanks for clarifying critical damage last thread user. Was scratching my head at it because I couldnt figure out the difference between righteous fury and critical damage and if there were crits that were higher. Really confused thanks for the clarification. Now I know how to properly kill my players when the game happens.

Play to your strengths. If you're musclebound or have high Willpower, then Intimidate can be useful to your team. If you're an agile fuck, Dodge will keep you alive or Acrobatics will grant you mobility (including the power to freely halfmove out of melee) while Stealth lets you scout, infiltrate, spy, or just hide. If you've got good Intelligence and aren't from a Research Station, then grabbing the Infused Knowledge talent for elementary knowledge of all Common and Scholastic lores is seldom a bad idea, and frees you to invest directly into Forbidden Lore instead. Awareness or Scrutiny are great if you're perceptive, helping to find clues in investigative games or spot ambushes in fighty ones.
If your Fellowship is shit, don't despair on social skills just yet - you might not be able to rub elbows with high society unnoticed, but if your Toughness is decent you can grab a pint and Carouse with the lads.

I have a question, for those who know Only War.

How reliant is the Ministorum Priest on the Weapon Skill aptitude? If it were replace with Ballistic Skill, for instance, would it mechanically damage the class? I'm not familiar with how many of its talents rely on melee weapons. Furthermore, how would a Ballistic Skill Priest affect a Sergeant? Would the sergeant still be able to do the things it wants or would the Priest overtake it?

First time DMing for DH2e, group are all learning the game together.

Should their Inquisitor have rolled up stats since he's the kind of Inquisitor that will deploy to the field if shit hits the fan, or should his stats just flat-out be much higher than the acolytes?

It would be a little counter productive, priests are set up to artistically screech about the emperor as they chainsword off the heads of heretics and xenos. So long as they're at range the priest using a gun would be fine.

All in all, the priest is rather reliant on their weapon skill. I'm not sure how they would overdo a sergeant, the sergeant's role is to lead and herald comrades of the squad for the most part.

Bumping, cause I want to post a pdf I haven't finished yet

They should be much higher. I think there's one stat'd in the core rulebook

Reminder that there's a Saturday DH2 game looking for players:
app.roll20.net/lfg/listing/71756/reclaiming-askellon

Okay so I whipped up some stats for rolling up Space Marines in DH2e, because I want to run a Horus Heresy game using DH2e rules.
Being a Space Marine replaces your homeworld and your Legion replaces your background. Not sure if I want to modify Roles or not, or if I'll try and lever in Squad Modes and such.

What I'd really like is suggestions. I've left some Aptitudes, Talents and Bonuses blank because I don't really know that Legion well enough to brain what would be most appropriate. But, if you want to tell me if I've done a good job or not on the stuff I have written, that'd also be cool.

For example, is it too OP to make Thousand Sons psykers right off the bat? Or should I just say "If you become a psyker, gain +1 Psy Rating."

By the by, I am not expecting Space Marines to be balanced with non-marines.

Oh yeah and should I be giving Legions two Aptitudes, or just sticking to one? It'd make leveling up a bit more expensive, but it might be better since SMs start off with so many talents and skills anyway.

Even if you don't reply, thanks for your time.

Gah, Chrome shat itself and I had to write this twice. Forgot some of the ideas I was trying to get across.

If you're going to crunch out the =][=, either way works, considering that they'll have so much more XP and Influence than your PCs to spend on Characteristic Advances to shore up weak characteristics or build on strong ones, plus skills and bullshit Inquisitor-only Talents. Narrowing the power gap between the PCs and Inquisitor as they rack up XP and take Characteristic Advances of their own could give your campaign a nice sense of progression.
The Legiones recruited from lots of Homeworlds, and had different cultures and skillsets even within the same companies as a result. I'd strongly consider keeping Homeworlds as a thing and either making Astartes-hood an Elite Package or just part of the Legion backgrounds.
I'll take a look at the PDF later, but making the Sons all psykers definitely seems like a poor idea to me. I haven't read their books to see if even the lowliest Tacticals have minor powers, but on tabletop only Veteran Tactical Squads, Terminator Squads, and the elite cult units (Sekhmet terminators, Ammatara recons, and Khenetai swordmasters) get Brotherhood of Psykers, while named characters provide higher PR psyking.

Two seconds of skimming; your unnatural characteristics are multipliers, when they're supposed to be simple addition.

Also, Leadership is objectively the worst Aptitude unless you radically changed what it applies to, and shouldn't be offered as equal to the other aptitudes. Put it in an Elite Advance or something.

Leadership is a lot more important for Astartes than for mortals, especially since Legionaries don't have the modern resistance to Fear. The Codex and associated tactics may not have been penned yet, but Command is still a very important skill for cohesive squads of Astartes to have.

It's still only relevant to one skill and a few of talents, no matter how you try to spin that one skill.

Hey. Me an some friends are gonna play a high power rogue trader game with a space marine, an eldar ranger and a heretek. Whatkinda shit will the GM be throwing at us?

Wanted some BA Successor chapter who's fucked up Melanchromic organ plus dealing with getting lost in the warp gave them red skin as well as having enlarged fangs from a Ossmudula fuck up

Should I kill myself or could this rock?

Nids. Nids for every oriface

>a space marine, an eldar ranger and a heretek
Necrons. Ancestral enemy of the Eldar, dread foe to the Imperium, and a heretek's wet dream. Chaos is also a likely enemy.
What Chapter is your Mareen from?

Is getting plastic surgery to look more attractive heresy?

Dunno, I'm the knife-ear on a gap year. He'd probably go either Fleshtearer or Fallen Angel honestly.

Yaaaaayyyyyyyy

It's a sign of wealth to extend your life with rejuvenation treatments, so no not really. Thugs, gang muscle and scummy lower hivers all commonly get cosmetic modifications too.

Depends. Getting surgery to correct hideous shrapnel wounds earned during your service in the guard is probably okay.

Getting surgery to remove minor mutations quietly would also probably be acceptable, as long as you could do it without too many people finding out you were a mutant in the first place.

Getting surgery to look nicer (ie bigger lips/boobs, liposuction, nose jobs, etc) is probably fairly common amongst imperial nobles - they're just trying to get closer to that human ideal.

But getting many surgeries you don't need? Constantly chasing an inhuman ideal of physical perfection that leads you to change yourself into something unrecognisable as you and barely recognisable as a human being? That's probably a red flag for slaanesh worship. If you aren't a cultist already you're very vulnerable to their influence.

I just want to look pretty, but I can never look pretty, but pretty isn't what you are, it's what you seek.

So, since the RPG line is officially dead, it is up to us to keep the line alive. What kind of homebrew are yall working on? I know someone else is working on a full line conversion for the older systems. Anyone else got anything?

Pic related, I am putting my army rules for high level Black Crusade characters into an actual document for my players and anyone else interested.

Are there any relatively high-quality let's plays or podcasts?

What's the best way to give hints that a Rogue Trader is helping a cult of Slaanesh without there being actual daemonettes or drug fueled orgies? Is there a fun, subtle way to worship the god of excess?

They are buying lots of expensive art? Picked up a lot of bards on each of their stops? Crew is forced to wear makeup?

so, my rogue trader game went well last night
the crew awoken to find out that warpfuckery happened, thanks to the rogue trader running/smuggling spook.
They awoke in cryosleep with minor amnesia, and found their ship deserted, with no power. They then found out it was crashed, and being scavenged by orkz. They had crashed on the desert planet of Angelis.
They killed the ork and the Gretchen scavenging their ship, and went to their cargo hold... to find out it was a town setup by the Gretchen revolutionary comitee.
They then got a quest to track down the engines from their ship, and to go to mektown to find it.
and they fought in a squig fighting pit, to earn some teef.
Gretchen bookies, being Gretchen, tried running away with the teef they had.
the mek in the party then promptly ate them.

I'm in a rogue trader game, and I'm pretty sure the RT is falling to Slaanesh worship. I'm playing a Seneschal (fluffed up as an Order Famulous soroitas with some elite advances to represent Sororitas special rules), and he does not trust me enough to remain in the same room alone with him long enough to bring my inferno pistol to bear. The rest of the crew prefers his leadership over my character's subtle machinations.

Is my best bet to just scuttle the whole ship and flood all corridors with plasma, or is that too drastic an action? Literally every other bridge staff and head of department is on the RT's side.

That sounds awesome! I'm playing a renegade who thinks his Chapter abandoned him and basically decided "well fuck you guys and your Imperium, I'm gonna make my own Chapter with blackjack and chainaxes," so if I ever manage to pull off my plan to train up some Chaos Scout Marines and get the Heresy-veteran heretek the facilities to make some combat automata, army-building and mass-combat rules are definitely something I'll be wanting.
Those are good clues, but most subtle clues of Slaaneshi influence are things not unexpected of Rogue Traders - they're infamously wealthy and opulent. I'd try emphasizing their pride and perfectionism, with a fleshsculpted face that's so free of flaws as to be bland and inhuman rather than beautiful and constant demands for excellence from their crew.

Anyone knows that in RT what the difference between Footfallen and a Frontier Worlder thematics-wise?

I mean they are both from the firnges of established Imperial Society, and that is basically it.

Footfall is an artificial construction, and supports itself through being a "service hub" for passing vessels.
Think of it as a cross between a trading port and a hive city.

Frontier worlds are more like colonies that have yet to develop beyond self sufficiency, and will be less "cosmopolitan" in outlook.

>tfw you realize FFG could have very easily done a single unified book for dark heresy, rogue trader, deathwatch, and only war.
>tfw you realize they decided to milk the 40k fanbase for every shilling they could get by shitting out copypasted, poorly edited books like clockwork until they finally lost the license

You're probably going to get sacrificed if the whole crew has gone over to Chaos. Might be time to inform the Inquisition of your suspicions I thinks.

they lost the license because of Rune wars.

I made the same speculation to my group, is there any proof of it though?

Dark Heresy went well last night.

One of the guardsmen ended up charging around a room, bayoneting techpriests while the rest of the group actually fought the enemy.

First ability the psyker did ended with perils, one of the other guardsmen had their legs blown off, and my small, frail priestly character intimated two fuck-huge mobs abusing fate points which result in them running the opposite way down a cramped hallway which in turn acted like bowling balls and the rest of the party were the pins.

No one died though so we call it a success.

Also, we got bored during one of the breaks and this happened.

Only War players are going to be exploring the hulk of a recently-crashed cargo ship on an Earth-like planet. I want them to face some of the weird monsters that would be lurking in the hull but are now disturbed by the crash and breaking apart of the hulk. What should I have them fight, and where can I find stats for said creatures?

>But getting many surgeries you don't need? Constantly chasing an inhuman ideal of physical perfection that leads you to change yourself into something unrecognisable as you and barely recognisable as a human being?

I thought they just have Cherubism

Check Mark Of The Xenos.

See

The Rogue trader is obsessed with getting archeotech prosthetics, which are beautiful but push them into uncanny valley. No matter what they always see minor flaws in himself/herself that drives them to constantly replace parts of themselves with bionics, to a degree where even tech priests think "damn son slow down". It could raise some ship-of-theseus moral issues. A clue could be a mirror in the rogue trader's quarter that exaggerates the physical flaws of whoever stands in it funhouse style. The "Cynical Mirror".

>You're probably going to get sacrificed if the whole crew has gone over to Chaos. Might be time to inform the Inquisition of your suspicions I thinks.

I do not believe the whole crew has gone over to Chaos, as much as I believe that they do not think the Rogue Trader in danger of falling, or have such fanatic loyalty to him that they would choose to serve him over the Emperor. Still, informing the =I= is probably the right move.

New to Rogue Trader and, they have xenos players? How do you work with that? Are they like assets/spies or are they best buddies if you're a space pirate?

Humans do of course have tenuous relations with Tau and Eldar when they're not in "purge the xenos" mode, it's like using a piece of bread to mop up sauce, you're still going to eat the bread but it's the last thing you'll eat since it's still useful to you.

So yeah, of course Rogue Traders operating on the fringes of the galaxy have reign to hire on xenos, as for the xenos themselves of course they'd just have their own motivations for being there. For Kroot it might just be a simple thing of a particular Kroot being some kind of exile and the RT offering him a chance to still live, kill and eat in relative safety, for Eldar it'll be more complex, perhaps a RT helping the Eldar find and collect a relic.

Oh I see. So they are more open minded compared to everyone else in the imperium? But, does that mean I can start a game without the missionary?

Rogue Traders are incredibly open-minded, exotic and extravagant. Having an Eldar in your employ, in an RT's "control" could even be seen as a status symbol by some.

>does that mean I can start a game without the missionary?
What do you mean?

What I mean is the always high possibity that the missionary would not allow xenos allies on your ship.

Probably not great to have both missionary and xenos on the one ship, no.

Oh ok

Raven Guard would probably benefit from a special ability replicating their Guerrilla Training talent that lets them stealth in their armor without penalty.

Alternatively, you could raise the max AP before stealth penalty kicks in to that of MKVI armour. Or just use chameleoline + stummer or masking screen to counter it.

user who posted about unified DH2 project a while ago. This was the main hurdle I had to get over to even bother to start writing, and the thing that gave me the biggest push to do it was the death of the license. Now who the fuck cares about rules reprints, especially since it's non monetized and everything's OOP. As a result it can be less of a giant errata and more of an actual, coherent single-source document (gonna be fucking hueg tho, even trying to go as light as I can on images and flavor bits.)

Addendum while I'm thinking about shit: what's the collective opinion on the old "man's reach exceeds his grasp" sidebar relating to humans using astartes weaponry? (DEM, DW) considering that I've seen in live games mortal characters that can rip a space marine's head off it always struck me as bad crunch, and something to possibly fix when I began to write the unified version

I think it's appropriate, and not just because the weapons are not sized, recoil-adjusted, or scaled for humans. That much you can work around. Their machine spirits are contemptuous of anyone not authorised to bear them, and prone to anger at the touch of mortals.

user from here, you're on a similar track to where I was when I started, but rather than try to roll marines into the existing Gen system I found it more balanced and granular to simply write a different gen in the same style, going "Chapter" (effectively current homeworld), "Specialization" (what unit type has marine been serving in), "Character" (lame but it defines the innate leanings of the pc, is he a Scorch or a Fixer? or a Boss or a Sev?) combined it ends up making for a much more flexible system than even DW managed, but is making for a lot of writing and re-writing.

imo, specialisation should be 'role'.

I thought so too at first, until I pulled apart FFG's design a little more closely and got rid of the names to stop any predispositions they were giving me. basic breakdown ends up being:

Stage 1: define strong and weak stats, one strong aptitude (characteristic), and a bonus that reflects evironment/long term training and habits
Stage 2: Define Equipment (this is the primary reason specialization is done at this stage), Skills, A talent or two, a bonus related to what the character does (or is supposed to do) well, and an aptitude.
Stage 3: What the character's innate dispositions are towards future growth: what skills/talents/training they can do easily and what is hard.

Example: maxi voss from the deathwatch novels would be Imperial Fists > Devastator > Redoutable (heavy emphasis on physicality, S/T)

Basically summable as Where they are from, What they do, Who they are.

I have some questions about the malefic scholar from the dark heresy's radical handbook.

I'm currently an adept rank 2 and want to get my foot into demonic doors, FOR THE EMPEROR OF COURSE! Also I'm really hype for that sweet arcanas...

The thing is, I knew nothing about this when I made my character, and so I picked noble as a background in addition to a really bad roll on willpower I'm currently stuck at 22WP...
But all my other stats, except 28 toughness, are more than great, so I kept it.

My question would be, if there is any way to boost WP even at the cost of another attribute. I don't care, I just have to get to 55WP for all the beefier malefic stuff.

Even with all my attribute advances in WP I only get to 42 without being a throne agent.

This really sucks and I guess unless I can shove a rule into my gamemasters face that allows me to somehow boost or switch WP, I can drop all my hopes in becoming a dark student... (seriously, I love this GM but he is strict on rules like that.)

I worked really hard on an excuse as to why I would want to learn such heresy in the first place and had to make clear that I strictly study it just to know more about fiends of that kind.

The next problem would be getting sanctioned.
Malefics get a psy rank, so they can be sensed by other psykers. If the psyker from our group would sense me, he would either kill me for not being sanctioned, or hand me over to the black ships...

Now I have read somewhere that an inquisitor can sanction psykers without any precautions if he declares him somewhat safe. Does anyone know something about this?

If I can't get something that says something like "Nah, it's ok that he wields sorcery, I allow it. -Some Inquisitor" I fear for my life that I will be killed by my own group...

Thanks for anyone who will try to help me.

the rite of sanctioning takes place on terra, and only happens if you're not judged "fuel for the lighthouse" so you're pretty SoL without a (radical) inquisitor going "No you don't he works for me"

Willpower boosters there isn't much either that isn't GM fiat, pretty much everything that boosts attributes that isn't an advance only really affects str/toughness.

Looking for black crusade stories and ideas. Need ideas for how campaigns can go and such

Huh. Thank ou for the explanation.

This is not good...
I guess without a rule my GM won't do anything without a huuuuge sacrifice. He's the kinda guy that let's you pay ten times the worth of something you should not have so you appreciate it (and that's cool. Like said, love this guy.)

I won't even get to the 35WP for sorcerer then. So I guess I could somehow work out a trade of 40 fellowship for 10WP. Maybe a custom mutation or the like :/

Is there any rules for characters who get sanctioned late in game? Maybe they are away for 6 month and either pass the test or fuel the Emperor?

>wahh why can't my character who doesn't have the attributes to be a particular role be that role?
>GM is soo strict!

Why did you even still become a psyker after rolling shithouse WP?

1. I love the strictness of the GM, it makes you appreciate the small stuff.

2. I guess you do not understand. I'm an Adept who wants to become an Malefic Scholar. That's an alternative path for the Adept only.

I'm not even complaining about it. I rolled it and that's ok.
If there is anything that gives me WP, even better.

There is nothing wrong with asking your GM to make something work in your favor for a huge sacrifice. At the end, roleplaying is about fun.

Basically, you are a massive asshole right now who desperately wants to get a negative impression of me. Have fun.

22 is incredibly low. Dump-stat low. And you think yet you want to be a psyker?

I'm just trying to understand where you get off with such faulty logic.

Ok, maybe we got of on the wrong foot here.

I know that, and I already talked about it with my GM. I asked him if it's a good idea to which the answer was something like "Probably not, but your character does not know that.".
The problem is, I kinda already started taking the path because I did not know better (kinda new player). Now that I'm on this path, I won't back up as my character.

When I played my way into this, I thought that the main stat for stuff like that would be Int, which is my highest stat.

We're no powerplayers. I can life with a non optimal character, because flavor is much more important in our group. And if he dies because of stupid decisions, that's perfectly fine too. I make a new one and carry on.

I just asked if there is any way to increase my WP, because I don't know the rulebook to heart. Now that I know that there isn't, I have to ask my GM for a favor (which would be the first time for me, so I'm good to go) or deal with the consequences.

Tldr;
I'm a new player and don't know much about the rules up to this point.

This is like an almost autistic berserker trying to be a bard though. For starters, why would they want to when they know they're not socially adept?

The second part comes in specifically for 40K and this scenario, how does your character even know about this stuff? Not even regular psykers tend to learn much if anything about Malefic Daemonology, it is specifically kept secret for good reason.

>Int
Yeah sorry bud, this isn't DnD.

>I can life with a non optimal character
This is beyond non-optimal to downright unfeasible. As you can see, getting an attribute below 25 locks you off from the prime talents and such for that attribute, this is true for both 1e and 2e.

You could ask him to let you roll an entirely new character sheet and dump your current 22wp one?

My cell features a more advances psycher that I follow around since the beginning. Some stuff happened. Now I'm in contact with another psycher who knows some unsanctioned psychers and so on and so forth... This was a combination of extreme lucky dices and unforeseen events.

I guess you're right, I got it now. Within the rules I won't ever get this to work for me.

But I don't know why my GM would let me run into this so blindly. Now I have to guess that he want's me to make him a deal outside of the rules.

I would take extremely high risks and bargain my other stats away for that. If not, I just have to accept that my character failed.

Thanks anyway, I just did not know any better.

Nah. The only scenario I see that happen is when my character dies and I make a new one :)

>who knows some unsanctioned psychers
First of all, it's psyker*

Second, people know they're unsanctioned? People who are involved with the Inquisition know of these unsanctioned psykers, and haven't carted them off to the Black Ships?

We're on it right now but it takes some time. I think it's a bigger thing, so right now we play along.

Signs point in the direction of a cult, but we are all more into investigating stuff right now. Our inquisitor thinks it's better to know exactly what's going on, before dealing too hasty and running into problems afterwards.

He likes to know his stuff beforehand.

Even if that means that we currently smell alot like heresy. He's more of a radical guy I guess.

In the Hark Heresy 2E group that I GM, one guy has an autocannon. He has bulging biceps so he doesn't have to set up, and he can deal out 3d10 + 4 or so damage. How can I get the rest of the party to not feel totally outclassed compared to this guy?

They recently fought/helped out some Tau so they have a 2 Pulse Rifles and a Pulse Carbine which do about 2d10 +3 damage, but they have low ammo.

How do you guys balance techpriests ni Dark Heresy a bit?

Horus Heresy user here, thanks for the breakdown!
That seems like a good system to go with, though obviously replacing "Chapter" with "Legion" in my case.
Are you still keeping the various bonus skills and such that Marines get in Deathwatch?

Rather than getting the rest of the party to not feel outclassed, disadvantage him. Take them places he can't lug an autocannon around, like a hiveworld. Get fast enemies such as Eldar and run them into his face, where the melee party members can shine in protecting him.

How do you mean?

Should I bother running Dark Heresy for people who aren't actually all that invested in the setting? I'm fairly confident in my knowledge of the setting, and I've DM'd a lot of low level DH 1e, so I think I could keep the world alive, but without a single player with a background in 40K, is it even worth it?

If they are not invested in the setting you will have no fun at all.

Being new to the setting is nothing bad tho if they are willing to learn. Otherwise you will play a generic rpg.

You can test this by playing an investigation heavy demo with. Then, at the end of the evening you ask them what they think will happen. If they start theorizing about stuff they heard during their adventure and are more or less thrilled to know more, you know you have a group of people interested in the setting.

Anyway, play a demo with them. The rest is obvious.

Thanks! Should I bother learning 2e for it? I checked out of the scene just as it was released, and all I know is that they were supposedly going to fix combat

I tried to make it so it's good for making both regular marines and deathwatch, with deathwatch bonuses and training being an elite package added onto marine generation.

As far as doing HH marines, I'd wait and see what R'myr has cooking in the new book, I was one of the players in the republican commando game that tested much of the content and it should have plenty of ideas to pull from for a DH2 adaptation (or be good enough to run on it's own if you don't mind some of the quirks of regular deathwatch)

Yes, 2e is fantastically better than 1e, just remember that the investigation rules in the supplements are optional, don't feel bound to follow the 'by the book' method

Good to know, thanks!

Daemons, genestealers, sluagth bioconstructs, Orks, traitor Marines... Pretty much anything can inhabit a Space Hulk. I'm rather fond of making up bizarre shit where Space Hulks are involved.
Eldar Corsairs do what they want 'cause a pirate is free, while Dark Eldar don't have many lines they won't cross and Eldar Rangers have some serious wanderlust to work out. Kroot and Blood Axes frequently work as mercenaries, and a Tau has a cooperative mindset and an eagerness to convert gue'la to the Greater Good. All are thus situationally inclined to coexist with humans, so it's a matter of the humans' behavior. Mechanically, the crew don't like knowing there's a filthy alien abhorred in the sight of the Emperor aboard their ship, but the feelings of PCs can vary wildly, from "KOMRADE ORK IS BESTEST FRIEND! MORE DRINK, URAAA!" to "I don't care how much the young master likes his... Pet. If I see it pick its nose at the dining table one more time I am putting a boltshell through its skull," or "PURGE THE XENOS!"
Explorators might be inclined to study xenos, while Ecclesiarchs or Sororitas will generally be inclined to put them to fire and sword, no questions asked.
>it's like using a piece of bread to mop up sauce, you're still going to eat the bread but it's the last thing you'll eat since it's still useful to you.
Excellent metaphor, thanks
Black Crusade is more recent, and in conjunction with additive Unnaturals in place of multiplicative ones it allows mortals with Unnatural Strength +4 to wield Astartes weapons without penalty for recoil and size, though I'd leave it up to GM discretion whether the Machine Spirits get pissy anyway.

>the rite of sanctioning takes place on terra, and only happens if you're not judged "fuel for the lighthouse"
I thought so too, but according to one of my old GMs that's just for Astropaths, and "regular" psykers can be sanctioned elsewhere by someone with the appropriate training, such as an Inquisitor or a Space Marine Librarian.
Melee enemies that close in fast. Enemies with high Dodge and maybe Step Aside reserving a reaction to evade the fuck-off cannon once they see it in action. Psykers or Techpriests remotely jamming his weapon, Reliable be damned. Backpack-supplied Power Fields ineffective against melee strikes. Sneak attacks from melle fighters or snipers, possibly with Shocking ammunition or some other way to stun him do the others have to protect his twitching, steaming body until the seizures and spasms stop and he wakes up a few rounds in, having to spend an action to pick the gun up.
Try not to make it feel like you're picking on him, though. Melee enemies and force fields are your best bet IMO, but they'll also threaten any other ranged characters if their attention is diverted from the heavy weapons guy.
>without a single player with a background in 40K, is it even worth it?
This makes it better IMO. In Dark Heresy, you play a bunch of schmucks who don't know shit about the setting at large, and players who immerse themselves get to learn about it as they go.

>Volkite chargers confirmed existing into 40k through the new terminator kit.

There really is no difference between 30k and 40k anymore. Literally everything is surviving into the present day.

But is it ok to have your crew and xenos players to be fine with one another? I don't mind if I have to be a space pirate.

My players are basically an adventuring group of misfits looking for fame and fortune, but mostly fortune, and they all want to get along because they're space bandits/outcasts.

And my arch-militant's backstory is that she was a former battle sister(or canoness if possible) that was exiled because she was caught rescuing a small eldar family.

>I thought so too, but according to one of my old GMs that's just for Astropaths, and "regular" psykers can be sanctioned elsewhere by someone with the appropriate training, such as an Inquisitor or a Space Marine Librarian.
This is correct. The strength of the psyker is gauged while on the Black Ship. Those that are considered above a certain strength are usually pulled out of line by various entities like the Inquisition, the Scholastica Psykana, or a space marine chapter.

>is it ok to have your crew and xenos players to be fine with one another?
Yes, but the NPC crew's morale takes a hit. The PCs are up to you and your group.
>my arch-militant's backstory is that she was a former battle sister(or canoness if possible) that was exiled because she was caught rescuing a small eldar family.
What
Son you are on so many levels of heresy I don't even
Fine, have fun, but typically that would warrant an execution. Maybe if she ran away, and has Ecclesiarchy assassins after her head for an honor killing.
This shit is one of the reasons I ban Sororitas in Rogue Trader unless everyone's going with Ecclesiarchy ties. Where the hell did she even find an Eldar family to rescue? Were her Order purging an Exodite World and she forgot all the catechisms and hymns about how mercy is an unacceptable vice and xenos are to be purged before their treachery twists the minds of the Emperor's flock, and in a moment of weakness was caught snuggling them away? In that case, I guess a Canoness would work; makes it easier to swing around enough weight to get offworld.

A lot of people who play 40k don't want to play 40k characters. It's why I don't play with randoms anymore. You always get that one 21st Century liberal running around a high city dressed up as a Sororitas or whatevrr.

Not that guy, but you know how in the RPG's the Sororitas don't get corruption, just double the insanity? After enough purging, I could see even a Canoness finally snapping and thinking of those pitiful xenos with their big eyes as redeemable, or even think of them as human if she's far enough around the bend. I don't think it's safe secure xenos cuddling, imagine the response of an Eldar youngling being brought up like a sororitas to their standards, by a crazy (more than usual) Canoness. Certainly not a fun time for the Eldar.

Of course, that's presupposing a hefty dose of insanity, and if you start at chargen with zero I'd certainly find that odd.

>a high city
Whoops, meant hive, of course.

I got a DH 1st edition game in less than a month and I don't know nothing about the setting or DH sistem nor Warhammer/40k's.
Where should I start? What is the "5th edition players handbook" for 1st edition DH?
Is there an easy guide to the lore? Any good (and short) books?

Guys what do I need physically in regards to Deathwatch stuff to learn the game? I want to learn it visually, so what dice, sheets and items should I get? I've never played a pen and paper RPG before.

the 40k systems all require two d10 die, one set for each player if you'd like. Different colors or differentiation on numbers preferred so it's easy to tell what's the tens place and the ones. Then of course you need the rulebook pdfs if you don't want to spend a small fortune on the print books.

The rest is optional. Sheets for making maps if you want those, models for representing players on the map if you want that.

Rulebook is a good place to start, and codices for individual armies. You might want to go read old fluff like Index Astartes or Realms of Chaos: Lost and the Damned.

Keep in mind that several authors (including chief editor Laurie Goulding in 2016, in a reversal of an earlier statement of his in 2014) have said that all 40k fluff old and new is valid, and you decide what is true and what's misdirection/legend/propaganda.

Basically I'd say, at your own pace, go through all the fluff sources yourself and decide what you like in the canon and whatever you do, don't get dragged into the screaming autismo fluff debates that crop up around here and boil down to "I dislike that fluff and if you like it you have shit taste lalalala not listening!".

mega.nz/#F!BxI1HSgI!0tKymKh9RZTzGpgIA5EyCg

There's a link to downloads for pretty much all fluff old and new. Aforementioned codices/rulebooks are in 40k>rules>codices. You'll probably have to get more creative to find Index Astartes and Realms of Chaos because they're too big for me to upload to 4chins.

And I'm serious about exploring the lore for yourself. 40k's fanbase can't be trusted. There's so much distortion and fanon and outright lies floating around it can be hard to tell what's real and what isn't (like the Custodes have been fighting a perpetual war under the golden throne for 10000 years meme, that was repeated in ad naseum for a while despite having no basis in fact and being debunked explicitly in the new Rise of the Primarch book.) A bit meta given the setting.