EDH/Commander General

M A D Edition

Last time on /edh/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Have you ever built a deck designed expressly to piss off one or more members of your group?

First for new thread when.

Yeah, so we have this one guy, his two favorite decks are Slivers and Krenko. He's a one-track kind of guy.
Anyway, he was getting a big head because he'd won several games in a row, so I made a B/W deck and loaded it with mass removal, more along the lines of Toxic Deluge and Black Sun's Zenith than Day of Judgment or Wrath of God.
He is not very happy any time I get that deck out.

>Have you ever built a deck designed expressly to piss off one or more members of your group?

No. Every deck I've built is designed to be fun for me.
Doesn't stop my group being pissed off anyway.

>Thread question
A deck? No, but whenever I'm waiting for new cards to arrive I use unreliable, niche cards (Drought, Red Elemental Blast, Celestial Purge, etc.) as placeholders to hose certain archetypes in my meta

I've started to really enjoy playing green and Gruul. Any fun stuff for this guy?

Every deck I build pisses off pretty much everyone in the group and I build my decks intentionally.

Activating his ability is the closest I can think to being a Yu-Gi-Oh super villain

My lgs playgroup frowns upon and even soft banned land destruction because they are all spikes who hate lossing to strategies they cant interact with. So as you do i built the most stax/land destruction Deretti i could played it once and beat the everloving shit out of all there decks to say the least they were upset however it was worth.

>Have you ever built a deck designed expressly to piss off one or more members of your group?
Yes, pretty much made an anti-token deck to hate on one guys deck.

>Two people in my group have decks that are very fast and need to get rolling quickly
>Build a deck with 20 board wipes
>They wine because their decks can't adapt.

Nigga, uninteractive mechanics are fucking shit. I don't mind land destruction, but uninteractive shit is cancer.

>"My Craterhoof got countered once and now I hate ALL DISRUPTION"

Countering isn't uninteractive. Also, who the fucks plays the craterhoof if they know someone has a way to stop them from winning or killing someone?

sometimes you just have to go for it

do i build memnarch yes/no ?

Yep. Don't forget some infinite mana combo.

Do you have Mycosynth Lattice??

Does your playgroup see artifacts and go for the kill?

Sure. Just don't use that atrocious print.

help i don't know if i want rafiq or damia for an unblockable deck

gorgon lady looks cooler but rafiq gives you access to this chick

user, you can't argue with this.

I'm the user asking about Wort from the last thread. The answer to this question may be obvious and if so feel free to call me the retard I am, but does conspiring a spell with X in its cost copy the value of X too? I'm fairly certain alternate costs that were paid aren't copied so that's where I am unsure.

>laughing Gruul mages

yes copied spells have the characteristics as defined by the spell they are copying (modes/X costs/targets [although when you make a copy, it usually allows you to redefine its targets])

you are like a little baby, watch this

Yes sir.

Its a win condition in my Riku deck. Copying X-burn spells.

wouldn't the spirit be much harder to deal with though?

Killing a creature, vs removing a card from someones hand?

The forecast cost is harder to answer (discard versus enchantment removal) and more splash friendly (1C versus CC) and doesn't require you to make a 3-drop first.

I love Dauthi Embrace, and it lets you combo with Dauthi Cutthroat as well as shadow multiple creatures, but Spirit is better for doing some sort of unblockable voltron. Rafiq + Shadow = Fun, it's the new math

Embrace can be activated more than once per turn and during opponent's turns, your call which is more valuable.

shit I said creature when its clearly an enchantment.

I guess you should have some shenanigans by making opponents stuff swing freely

Rad, thanks.

And thanks to whoever suggested Wort, I'm already liking the build.

for maximum salt, use Plow Under

i fucking hate destroy spells

I fucking hate counterspells

>just found out a guy at my work plays commander in a t1 meta and has been playing since 94
Fuck, I'm a janklord from theros block. Is it even possible to compete? I have a lot of knowledge and I'm a competent deck builder, but what could I even play that wouldn't be a hilarious shitshow?

savage :^)

>commander
>tiers

it's more about who you play with and less about the cards

Holy shit I want to use this, is druids.dec viable?

>because their decks can't adapt.

I take it you don't play actual formats. Or do, and just play really bad decks.

Well exactly, but I don't want them to be hilariously bored to play with me.

it's difficult to give you advice if you don't tell us what decks they play

If he's been playing since 94 and build "competivive" EDH decks, he's a moron, and you should avoid talking Magic with him.

there are 146 cards with the druids type

build it

Probably not super viable but I think most mana elves are technically druids so you could possibly tune Elfball into Druid Town.

If you try it lull them into a false sense of security with New Frontiers and Collective Voyage. "Oh, you though getting all that land was a Hug element? It's mine."

Make it viable.

>have kruphix deck
>want to make a deck that isn't in simic colors
>was going to make dragons but my lgs sucks and didnt have shit
>want to make a mardu deck but all i have is Zurgo, helmsmasher and I dont wanna do voltron

jesus idk what to do. I have narset, I might just rebuild that deck :|

Narset usually ends up being boring for you and the people you play with.

It was. Im trying to stay out of Sultai as well because we have a Leovold player in our group (he thinks its too OP, but the other 3 of us love playing against it because it's a challenge and it doesn't feel broken)

include White so you can use Mirror Entity

Today I got a foil Mana Drain, masterwork Sol Ring, expedition Mystic Gate and a signed foil Boseiju from Champions of Kawigawa for my Niv Mizzet / Oloro deck, what a great day.

Only 8 more foils remaining for Oloro now.

They're running ABUR duals and various other expensive nonsense. Buddy was talking about his thassa deck with FoW and all that jazz. The general impression I got is that they average 2k per deck because they've been playing so long they have everything. I was just looking for general advice about what I can do to fit in.

Maybe competitive is the wrong word, more high powered.

Is Suicide Black possible in EDH?

very

Make Alesha fampai.

k

Ignore this salty faggotI don't see nothing wrong with talking to him about magic. Odds are high that he knows a lot so you can learn a thing or 2 from him. Regarding building a deck, yeah it's possible. Naturally, you'll have to spend money, but if you're smart, you can build a decent edh without emptying the wallet. For example, no-fun cards that are in MLD or stax. But if the guy is a turbo autist, sperges out, etc, that's when I'll stop playing with him

>Zurgo

Nigga, play that shit. Helmsmasher + 25 board wipes = awesome.

like, what CARDS do they play? I don't care about how big their cardboard peens are, what commanders and strategies do they run?

Yeah

Nah he's a cool professional guy, tism isn't a problem. Let's shift gears, I run decks in the 100-200 price range. They're good mid powered decks that punch above their weight class, but naturally, disruption will end my day real quick.

What I worry about is showing up and getting the "kid gloves" where no one wants to play because I don't represent a threat. Is that a realistic problem? They're taking about some guy running grislebrand and another with rofellos because they don't represent a threat. I might jank out a combo or Uril exactly one guy once, but I want to know what I could build that would be fun for this kind of playgroup, in the 500 price range.

Reminds of good 'ol meme deck Sidisi Ad Naus. Just Sidisi, Ad Naus, Skirge Familiar, Exsanguinate a bunch of retardedly cheap accelerants, and like 85 swamps at minimum. Wins turn 5 at the latest.

No idea, we literally talked for ten minutes. Seems doomsday, mass bounce and 10 varieties of combo will show up. I was thinking Brago represents a pretty versatile and cheap control deck, particularly since he didn't seem phased when I said I ran artifact flickerstax and tutors. I know there's a Norin, a grislebrand, atraxa super friends, thassa, various elfball decks and a maelstrom wanderer but we didn't have time to get into strategies beyond "I run Lazav" and "cool man have you seen breya thopter sword yet and leovold?".

I know nothing really comes close but what would be the second best alternative to Mana Crypt? I just can't afford a $60 rock right now.

Mana vault and sol ring? Both of Those are pretty well know man.

There is a very good chance that they have many decks with multiple power levels, show up and see what's going on first with the decks you have.

It's a little silly to go through this without first hand knowledge.

Sol ring, Grim Monolith(30$ kek), mana vault.
That's about it. It's an exceedingly powerful card. None of those replace or even really compare.
If you want it just for the ramp, put a Signet there. If you are an explosive combo deck that can utilize every bit of extra mana then run Lotus Petal or dark ritual.

There really isn't a good alternative to crypt. Vault and monolith aren't repeatable, the only alternatives to crypt are worn powerstone (which just sucks compared to it), sol ring (which you are already running) and maybe the legal moxen (which are expensive as well).

I guess ancient tomb might qualify but that isn't the cheapest card either.

Are aggro decks viable in EDH?

Can someone explain to me why lion's eye diamond is so expensive? Its use seems incredibly limited.

Yes, if you're in an environment that loves to durdle/play solitaire, you can prey on them with aggro

I manage to kill our table regularly, and easily, when playing either Rhys or Saskia. It all depends on the meta, of course, and at the highest level, aggro isn't viable because combos rule all. But like what most people here say, don't go by comp edh to see if something is good or not for your meta.

Core piece in a legacy combo deck, since you don't care about discarding your hand when you have Yawgmoth's Will (especially when you follow up by casting Lion's Eye Diamond from your graveyard again for another 3 mana)

Its a dredge/storm enabler

Like the other user said, talk to them. Better to know then to worry what may happen.
Legacy and vintage.

Legacy dredge uses it and it's only gotten one printing to my understanding.
So it's in high demand with low supply.
And yeah, It does look incredibly situational, I thought it was shit until a competitive player explained it to me.

>Yawg Will in Legacy
?

Ah, ok. I wanted one for my Kozilrk deck but I'm not gonna shill out 60 bucks any time soon.

>it's on the reserved list
Fuck my life, and here I was hoping that it might get a reprint in EM 2.0

How do you deal with the annoying "If I had lived for one more turn I would've kill you so hard man you had to see my hand" type of guy?

just "k" them and move on

There was a buyout at some point which I think shot the price up by like 25%

Arguably the best archetype

Only if they also provide card advantage
So pretty much only edric
Though that tranny Alisha is pretty good and I could imagine that the new marchesa could play some sort of hit you in the face with tax creatures plan

>"Yeah, but you didn't"
or
>"Yeah that's why I killed you"
I hate those "I still had all these" players, both winners and losers.

>Oh man if you'd let me untap I would have played Ulamog infinitely
>Oh man I was about to go infinite with Deadeye
>Oh yeah even if you countered this, I would've still won
It's my pet peeve.

STARCITY KIKES REEEEEEEEEE

Eh I'm retarded, I've seen LED Yawg Will so often.

It's Infernal Tutor and Past in Flames I guess.

I just built that deck, I'm very excited

Guys why the FUCK didn't you mention mono-black was viable in EDH. I'm reading about ad nauseam sidisi and it looks fucking crazy. I also found a erebos midrange deck which looks interesting too

>all the Mana Doublers
>Huge threats
>Card draw
>Combos out the ass
>Somehow we needed to TELL YOU that monoblack was good.
Don't be stupid.

Horobi is the only black commander I'll play

Belcher runs it too

>this guy doesn't know about Seton combo
>it has been a solid deck since EDH's inception

>hurr durr look at me I'm an ancient EDH player

Scorched Ruins comes to mind, if you don't mind sacrificing two lands for it

AN Sidisi is a one trick pony with no game. Once people understand what you're doing you'll never win another game.

I'm not putting you down user, but black cards are at their best when helped by the other colors.

Pic related, some of the best cards in magic.

>mfw the table has ignored my B/W enchantments deck long enough for me to lay down Serra's Sanctum + Skybind, Cabal Coffer + Tomb Yawgmoth, Crypt Ghast, and Deserted Temple

>Damnation is almost down to $20

Should I pick it up when it reaches $20, or wait for it to drop more?

>tendrils
>Petition
>Muck
>Magus
>Infernal "Only gets run because the others are banned" tutor
>"Some of the best cards in magic"
I implore you to reconsider

Ad Nauseam, Doomsday, and Necropotence are probably the 3 best ways in the entire format to assemble combos. All trade a lot of life for either a lot of cards or some very specific cards.

I don't think anything should be banned in EDH, but these three cards are probably the closest to deserving a ban. They're just so fucking easy to win with.

Wait until MM17 starts getting opened more. It'll bottom out for a bit before it picks back up