Magic items

Magic item thread. Discuss magic items. Make magic items. Mundane to mythical, post your items and what they do.

>Thunderous Shield
>When struck, produces a thunderous sound in a cone in front of the wielder, deafening friend and foe alike. 10 charges, recharged by being in a thunderstorm, will take thunder from storm until filled back to 10 charges.

>Leaky Umbrella
>When opened, produces rain under the umbrella at random strengths ranging from a drizzle to hurricane-force rain. Stops if not being held by a sentient being. Can be ripped out of hands by sudden 100+ mph wind and rain, hold onto your pants, kid.

>Returning Caltrops
>Caltrops that will return to the users hand on command so long as they're nearby. Teleportation based, not impeded by walls or obstacles.

>Geront's Beard
An obviously fake cotton beard. Putting it on automatically ages anyone by forty years. Its wearer cannot die from old age inflicted by this beard, and taking it off removes the effect.

>Grumpy Cane
The damage inflicted by hitting objects with this cane is directly proportionate to it wielder's age, with teenagers dealing the minimal damage and people over 100 dealing maximum damage.

>Splinter Sword
A wooden sword that deals as much direct damage as a normal wooden sword does. However, with every hit it releases a cloud of razor-sharp splinters that work as shrapnel in a small area, but do not harm the sword's wielder. The splinters regenerate once the sword is put into its sheath.

>Fat Lady's Glass
A sizeable wine glass. Holding it in front of your face while singing at a particularly high pitch causes it to explode into a cone of sharp broken glass. The glass automatically reforms several seconds after the explosion.

>Laurels of Champions
The wearer of this laurel wreath wins every competition he takes part in, no matter if by sheer luck or an unexpected surge of energy. Each time a competition is won this way, a single leaf shrivels and falls off the wreath. Once there are no leaves left, the wreath becomes useless.

If two laurel users face each other, they should burn out leaves until one or both are worthless, but making an awesome to watch event

The Shield of Dorian Gray: the picture drawn on this tall shield changes to reflect its current wielder. This picture takes damage in its owner's stead, meaning that its owner cannot be harmed as long as he wields it. However, the instant he takes a look at the picture on the shield, all of the wounds it collected are transferred back to him, usually killing him instantly.

It's a unique item. Once it runs out, that's it for all time.

>people over 100 dealing maximum damage.

what if I'm a 101 year old elf

Guess what bucko, your hit five better be 102

Then the cane flies up your butt.

You can't make me abide by that answer.

elf's dont count
They're like revese dogs when it comes to aging
a 60 years old elf is still prolly wetting the bed

Too bad, still the same damage bonus.

Elves aren't people.

BRB getting the beard + cane combo

Great for a Grimlock, no eyes, no downside.

Would make for an interesting villain actually. Blind guy with a shield that has a heavily mutilated corpse painted on it, you can kill him instantly by polymorphing him or regenerating his eyes and showing him the shield.

Not a magic item but:

>Summon Fuzzy Slippers
>Cantrip
>Comfy slippers appear on your feet. If removed, the slippers evaporate.

Dire Rabbit Slippers
Made from the enchanted skin of a Dire Rabbit
On a successful foot kick attack, the Dire Rabbit comes alive and deals additional bite damage to the enemy.

Cursed Ring of Forsaken Warriors - Once the ring is placed on a character it is bound to their finger. Rolling high at 75% they can gain a +5 additional bonus to attack and damage until combat is over. At 25% to 74% nothing happens ans the ring retains its +1 to attack and damage. At 24% or below the wearer begins a deadly curse. From that roll onwards they have to make a check to see if their condition gets worse. It is a 50% chance, if above they are fine, if below the condition gets worse draining a permanent point of strength from their attributes every time a failure is rolled. This over time will eventually atrophy their muscles and cause horrible negatives to attack and damage of any melee variety.

>percentages

I wanted to kind of hijack this thread, as I want to run a game set on Ravnica soon, and given that's a fairly high-fantasy setting, it needs some cool magical items.
I thought it better to revive this thread than to make a complete new one.

You got a problem with rolling d% like a count, or proposing changes to the % ranges?

Cunt*

Like any self-respecting count, I abhor the usage of any weird dice.

>Deepwater ring
A golden ring with an eye carved into it.
If someone does not wear this ring then the empty space inside it begins gushing out water.
Made by Lurid Kav, wizard's apprentice.
>Stormcallers amulet
Silver amulet with a lapis gem placed in the middle.
Wearing this amulet makes whoever wears it always see the weather as a brutal storm.
Unknown creator.
>Infinite sheath
Appears to be a common sheath however every sword you put inside it will be replicated immediately as soon as it's removed.
Made by Kurv the forgetful battlemage.

>Stovepipe Hat
An unusually tall top hat with a valve on its band. When consumed by a strong emotion, particularly anger, its wearer can turn the valve to open a hatch on the top of the hat, which releases a cloud of scalding steam. The wearer immediately becomes perfectly calm and collected and cannot be phased by anything for a while.

>Potucopia
A sizeable plant pot filled with dirt that can never be taken out of it - it just regenerates if you try. The owner of this pot can plant any object of appropriate size it into that dirt. After a week of watering the pot, a sprout appears that grows into a plant with several fruits that on ripening open to reveal exact copies of the object originally planted.

>Diet Belt
By turning the dial on this belt's buckle while wearing it, it wearer can change his body weight. The physiology changes accordingly to reflect the changes in weight, making the owner thinner of fatter. The effect disappears when the belt is taken off.

>Mooring Anchor
Anyone hit with this anchor cannot move from the place where he was standing when hit. He can move his body freely, but his feet are stuck to the ground by what feels like an unbearable weight.

>The Behind Curtain
A large cloak made from a heavy old curtain. It renders anyone wrapped in it completely invisible and otherwise undetectable. This person also gains a powerful mind control ability, which he can exercise by whispering commands into people's ears.

>Thief's Feather
Cutthroat razor, apparently made out of solid gold. Four inches long. Cuts through any non-living material without resistance.

>Masked Man's Face
An unadorned domino mask of black velvet. The wearer cannot be recognized as anything other than "a masked man," regardless of other gender or species. Two separate users will be mistaken for the same masked man.

>Inconspicuosity Cloak
Acts as a heavy wool cloak, except it can't be focused on or seriously considered by others. If the wearer pulls the hood up, he or she automatically succeeds any stealth-related roll in an area it would be reasonable for a stranger to be (like a party or a public street).

Why the hell are you using percentages instead of putting it in terms of rolling dice; a d4 would make this so much simpler and better?

Apparently he thinks you're a cunt for not liking ridiculously convoluted mechanics.

>Masked Man's Face
That's clever. Even as a kid I was groaning at the "masked man" bullshit in books and movies.

>Cooperative Parasite.
A mitten, apparently made from green silk, that is lined with teeth. When the glove is put on by a sentient being the teeth pierce the skin and lock into place, and can only be removed with "Remove Curse" or similar spell. Lowers maximum health by 1d8. Grants the user one extra spell slot per day. If the user is not an MU, they now count as one.

D&D style
>Hammer of Vulcan
+3 Construct Bane Adamantium War-hammer. Also grants wielder proficiency in any crafting skill equal to his intelligence score. Grants all magic item creation feats listed in PHB 3.5. Further; halves creation time and requires half the value of any material components required for construction.
Works best as a legacy item that grows with its user.

Big stick of silence
A wooden club which enables the wielder to speak in pitches only hearing-sensitive creatures like dogs or elves can hear. Also renders wielder unable to speak at a louder volume than a hard whisper.

For a 5e Ravenloft campaign

>Betlyn's Blood Blade
Weapon (Longsword), very rare (requires attunement)

You gain a +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this magic sword.

[Blade of Blood.] This sword has 4 charges. While holding it, you can use a bonus action to expend 1 charge and speak this sword's command word before making an attack; if the attack is successful, the target's blood clings to the sword's blade, imbuing a supernatural sharpness to its edge. Alternatively, you may choose to activate this ability by wounding yourself, sacrificing 5 hit points in the process. While this enchantment is in effect, you gain a further +1 bonus to attack and damage rolls made with this sword, and it deals an extra 1d8 slashing damage to any target it hits. The enchantment lasts for 5 rounds, or until you use a bonus action to speak the command word again, or until you drop or sheathe the sword. Alternatively, you may choose to postpone the enchantment from expiring by expending additional charges, adding 5 rounds to the duration per charge spent. The sword regains 1d3 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn

[Betlyn's Burning Blood.] Once per day, while the Blade of Blood enchantment is in effect, you can use a bonus action to speak a second command word, causing the blood to ignite, wreathing the sword in flame. While the sword is ablaze, it deals an extra 1d8 fire damage to any target it hits in addition to the extra damage granted by the Blade of Blood effect. The flames last until the Blade of Blood effect expires.

Any thoughts? Anything need to be adjusted or rebalanced?

This hobby was founded on % rolls. So sayeth Xagyg

Earplugs of Beethoven.
Renders the wearer deaf, but also immune to any sonic damage or sound-based effects.

>helm of teleportation

>this leather cap teleports to the head of a nearby creature every morning

>gloves of snatching

As a bonus action, you command these linen gloves to fly off and target another creature that is vearing gloves, then proceeds to pull them off and falling to the ground. After this both gloves can be recovered manually

>book of closing

When opened, this book closes

>staff of fire
When commanded, this staff lights itself on fire and burns very quickly. Single use

>Veeky Forums's poison

After drinking this bottle of yellowish goo, the target must succeed a DC 20 will saving throw. Upon failure, the creature will carve more of this goo, ignoring any other activities for 1d6 days

>cloak of imperfect levitation

This item allows you to levitate up to 40% of your mass 1ft above ground.

>finger of mood

After getting poked by this finger, the target becomes sad for 1 minute

>magical bucket

Putting this bucket on ones head renders them blind

As a B/X guy:

holy

fucken

sheet

>Veeky Forums's poison
Should be "on drinking this poison, the target must succeed a saving roll or become allergic to anything new"

>that sheath
But, then how do you put a sword in if it always replicates swords? Can it only work on the first sword stuck in there?

You put a sword in it, draw it, a replica appears. Done. You need to insert another sword to get another replica.

So what happens if i sheath my dick in it?

>Torch of Heroes
An ancient stone mace-type staff that is surprisingly light. It initially just gives out a low level glow. However, the device (somewhat painfully) marks the wielder. If the wielder dies, their soul transfers to the torch which can now produce a much stronger light. If the now-inhabited torch is visable to a near-dead foe they must roll a willpower save to avoid instinctively reaching for the flame. If they touch the flame, the soul inhabiting the torch may attempt to permanently transfer into the body of the foe. Mechanically, all the player's mental stats remain the same but their physical stats are dependent on the new form.

Then your dick is blown clean off, or torn off I don't know but apparently hurts a lot.

I think I get an extra dick every time I pump away at the sheath

>Omnidirectional glass
liquid can't get out of this glass unless drinked.

>Pearl of double power
a magic user can activate the pearl for a standard action to recover a spell slot of a certain level ( depending on the pearl size), but he can only use that spell slot for casting the same spell on the same target when standing on the exact same spot he was when he cast it earlier that day.

>gauntlet of maternal strength
this glove gives the wearer + 6 enhancement bonus to strength but only for the purpose of handling babies of any spiecies.

>Rod of Untorquability
when activated with its magical word this rod can't rotate in any direction( but can still be moved) until the word is spoken again.

>Ring of birthday's knowledge
whenever you see a creature, you know the exact day of its birthday, with an appropiate knowledge roll you can divine how many year old it is.

>amulet of the gourmand
you can eat daily up to 200 times the normal amount of food you would need in a day, without suffering any bad health consequence and you won't retain much of the weight long.-term(unless you keep doing it). it also gives you the strength to move your increased mass. note that what gets it will have to get out eventually.

>sock of lies
every night the demonic sock will generate gold based on the bad consequences your lies will have on the world, more gold for closer and bigger consequences and lies that diverge from the truh more.

That sock is actually a good idea.

Nothing happens, it's not a sword.

I like this a lot. Mind if I use it?

Pork sword

>>Omnidirectional glass
>liquid can't get out of this glass unless drinked.

what does it look like? where do your lips go when you drink?

I assume you just suckle on it or something

I imagine it's a normal glass, except the water doesn't spill out when you turn it over.

what's omnidirectional about it then? When I hear that I imagine a hollow glass sphere

Okay guys, I need a magical shield for an Oath the Ancientd Paladin.
He's a Half-Elf and likes to protect his party members and use nature based magic.
Any ideas?

>The sword regains 1d3 + 1 expended charges daily at dawn
Do you own any three sided dice?

Grants allies barkskin, maybe?

roll a d4 and reroll 4s?

This sounds good. Would adding a passive effect be too strong?