Tribal shenanigans edition!

To make cards, download MSE for free from here
magicseteditor.sourceforge.net/
OR
Mobile users might have an easier time signing up here
mtg.design/

>Hi-Res MSE Templates
pastebin.com/Mph6u6WY

>Mechanics doc (For the making of color pie appropriate cards)
docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AgaKCOzyqM48dFdKRXpxTDRJelRGWVZabFhUU0RMcEE

>Read this before you post cards for the first time, or as a refresher for returning cardmakers
docs.google.com/document/d/1Jn1J1Mj-EvxMxca8aSRBDj766rSN8oSQgLMOXs10BUM

>Design articles by Wizards
pastebin.com/Ly8pw7BR

>Q: Can there be a sixth color?
A: pastebin.com/kNAgwj7i

>Q: What's the difference between multicolor and hybrid?
A: pastebin.com/yBnGki1C

>Q: What is precedence?
A: pastebin.com/pGxMLwc7

>Art sources
artstation.com/
drawcrowd.com/
fantasygallery.net/
grognard.booru.org/
fantasy-art-engine.tumblr.com/

>Stitch cards together with
old.photojoiner.net/

>/ccg/ sets (completed and in development)
pastebin.com/hsVAbnMj

No one will ever find these threads if you keep making them without the proper subject line.

Not really a tribal, but whatever.

ded thread

These threads in general have been dead for a while.
I've been wondering if I should try making actual custom magic threads with an emphasis on house rules, custom formats and actually playing the game rather than circlejerking 200 pictures of completely generic bullshit that no one will play and 10 actually somewhat interesting cards that no one will actually play with.
I don't know if there's any real interest in that idea though.

I keep waffling on this. It doesn't feel U to me, but it also feels lacking if I imagine it as GB. It's fine, but it feels a little strange.

Too tribal-centric, no real synergy between the abilities. Looks like a pile of tribal just thrown together.

It's a common. It works. Commons that work are generally boring.

Check your wording. First ability also can't fit hellbent as-is.

Doesn't really feel like a rare.

Green horror tribal? Whaaaaat?

I don't get the flavor. Why's a blue zombie construct doing scrydraws when your other things shank people?

Revengful isn't a word.

The problem is that people post past each other. Sometime in the last year these threads went from discussion to card dumps, and then the card dumping died off because nobody got replied to. Feedback is the solution.

The idea I had in designing the Sasquatch tribal was basically that they were already on the battlefield (but hidden) and by casting their spells, they "come out of hiding". I thought about using Morph, but I think Flash is more flavorful.

>The problem is that people post past each other. Sometime in the last year these threads went from discussion to card dumps, and then the card dumping died off because nobody got replied to. Feedback is the solution
I mean, the problem I have with it isn't that it is a circlejerk as in 'no one is talking' but, people are designing cards that aren't actually for the purpose of anyone playing with them.
Like I've seen the threads you were talking about, I've been here for years.
I get that people here do this for fun, but isn't it more fun if you actually have a purpose other than copying wizards? That'd be hope.
Theorycrafting for the purpose of actually making the game better seems actually minorly satisfying/fulfilling.

Magic uses "faerie", not "fairy". Unless you're trying to create a new tribe with zero support.

Why use "sasquatch" when "yeti" already exists?

You must be the person responsible for Metal Gear "Revengeance".

>It's a common. It works. Commons that work are generally boring.
It's just an example of the Backup keyword

>Check your wording. First ability also can't fit hellbent as-is.
It just looks cooler with 2 hellbent abilities, but yeah, it's not really hellbent.

>Doesn't really feel like a rare.
Yeah, you're right. I'll make it as an uncommon.

>Green horror tribal? Whaaaaat?
Yep, horrors are BG in this set because some of the horrors behave as wild beasts.

>I don't get the flavor. Why's a blue zombie construct doing scrydraws when your other things shank people?
This is not a top down design card, I just couldn't think of a better flavor for it. But it does make part of a cycle of "Marshals" where each one have some kind of effect when a creature of the same color deals damage to a player.

>Revengful isn't a word.
As you probably noticed by now, english is not my native language. I'll change the name thought.

>You must be the person responsible for Metal Gear "Revengeance".
Kek.

Here's a mockup of the sultai fairy tribal I have for a set I'm working on. It's a marginally stronger set than say, standard in terms of power level. I like to have less "useless" cards than normally printed.

If you wouldn't mind reviewing the cards individually for balancing and whatnot, I'd appreciate it.

Well you're definitely gonna get shit for monogreen flying. Also you forgot to change fairy to faerie in most places in the text boxes. I do like the concept you've got for this tribe.

quads

Well I´ve played my set with CO-user. And while extremely slowly, I´m developing the second one.

What's your set?

I'd actually like to get this one done and draftable. it's a jungle primative world.

interesting card, helps everyone at first unless you drop it in an aggro deck, but on turn 4 how many cards will someone even have in hand? helps against a slow or control deck I suppose

>shit for monogreen fliers

eh, I think for the set it's fine. Dragons did it and there's enough examples in recent sets that i'm not too concerned.

also other than the mispelling which i appreciate you pointing out, what do you think of the cards themselves? any of them too pushed or not pushed enough? there were some crazy fairies in the lorawyn blocks

>someone else made a savage set
Noice. Post some cards?

the fairies is what I have so far as wildflower themed, lizarfolk, elves, humans and leonin are the races

Cool. I'll keep an eye out for them.

How's the costing on this? should it be kept sorcery?

Not sure if this is too strong, though for triple green it is hard to cast.

I only intended to make one card.
I then wound up deciding to do the rest of the cycle.
I then decided to do the other permutations of the cycle because why not.

This was a bad idea, and card quality almost certainly varies pretty deeply depending on when I worked on the card or what colors its in. Commentary is welcome, but don't feel like you've got to comment on all of them, because holy shit. I don't think I'll come back to most of these anyway. Still, if it kicks up discussion, that's fine- just be warned that roughly halfway through I stopped caring about the individual cards and more about finishing the project, so they're far from perfect and some almost certainly aren't that interesting.

Anything with multiple versions was me being unsure where I wanted to go with things, but I still tried to cull down to at least one or two.

I also think I'll only directly talk about 3-5 in the next post, rather than even trying to touch on all of them.

So, the ones I'm going to talk about up front.
>Mardu White
Unlike the other two which are basically "A white body and an enemy-color effect that tries to synergize with it", I basically took inspiration from Queen Marchesa, went for a Ponyback Brigade sort of feel and strategy over direct monarchy shenanigans, and threw in a bit of extra "rare keyword" with the essentially-Undaunted ability. Might be a bit too busy.

>Blue Legends
All of them are inspired by other cards. Jeskai is Sunforger/Isochron plus Kaho, Temur is Dragonshift, Ventmaw, and Talrand, and Sultai is a bit of Sakashima and Mimeoplasm. I know I promised just five, but it's hard to pick just one here, and I think they might be some of the better ones of the group.

>Sultai Black
Unlike the counter-play of the other two, the Sultai Black legend is more a Taigam's Scheming or Commune with the Gods on a very small, very early stick. Skulk makes her at least somewhat relevant, or at least that's what I hope, anyway. I'm more proud of Abzan, but Sultai Black feels solid enough.

>Red Legends
Doing the same thing I did with blue here, just to illustrate that here's where things kind of fell apart. Mardu Red is designed very similarly to the White cards having an on-color body and ability, but hers feels way more stapled on, and should probably cost more in both instances. Returning to the hand is supposed to act as a deterrence to targeting her, kind of like a Dash. Temur is a spellcaster that ends in a flavorful Meteor Ultimatum, but I'm not sure that it SHOULD be that, and Jeskai Red wants to flicker itself so bad it hurts. It may have been a mistake to delay its return.

>Temur Green
Where Sultai is a bit of boring utility and...
>forgetting to change the bestow cost
...and Abzan isn't even fucking Abzan, Temur risks being a little too good, I think. In theory, paying a grand total of 6 for a hasty 2-drop isn't great, but it might be breakable.

Cost this TG

>destroy up to 12 lands
Oh man, I was about to take this post seriously.

the weeaboo art was a red flag

Holy shit that card is completely broken, compare to moment's peace.

It's literally 4 spore frogs
What would you cost it? GGGG?

>What would you cost it?
I wouldn't print the card, it's just a fucking bad idea, it'd either only see play in a turbo fog deck or be so retardedly cheap that it would be fucking broken in a turbo fog deck (unless you organize the format somehow such that turbo-fog is unviable)
>It's literally 4 spore frogs
would 4 shocks for 4 mana be fair? Obviously not. Would 4 2/2 for 4 mana be fair? Nope. Would 4 serum visions for 4 mana be fair? Nope. Why then do you think 4 spore frogs for 4 mana be fair?
Either make a specialized environment where turbo fog is unviable (would probably require weak fixing) or change the card to making 2 frogs for 3 mana or MAYBE 3 frogs for 5 mana.

1WR, uncommon

Okay dude, to put it simply, when you replicate the effects of a card multiple times on a single card, you have to pay a premium for that, since it means you didn't have to actually draw all those cards and play them at the same time. You only needed the one. It's the same reason that utility cards like Charms are usually overcosted for any of the effects they have on a singular basis, but you pay a "utility tax" for that flexibility, because you can use it for what you need it for at the time. It's rarely the "wrong card" because it can do three cards worth of stuff, depending on what you need at the time.

tl;dr - you pay a premium for utility in MtG, and that goes for cards that emulate a singular card multiple times as well as cards that replace several cards with themselves in a utility role. So cost accordingly. Some things are just bad ideas all-round though. Like quad Spore Frogs on one card.

So 6 Mana, got it.

Hey, I have a good example of this! Like how Dreamstone Hedron is three Mind Stones stapled together.

This is even more broken than the original
And it's quite difficult to be more broken than fucking Sol Ring

thatsthejoke.png

>taking a silver-bordered card seriously

Oh you cheeky devil you.

>Silver bordered
Oh right sorry
Un- card should be funny, like that FoW

>turn 1 Sol Ring
>turn 2 Sol Cage.

Better than Tron

At least 1WR. It's a fling with a bit wonkier casting requirement, but doesn't require you to sac the creature and also gains you life.
I'd argue it could be WR if it was sorcery speed.

Well, if you somehow extrapolated that it should cost 6 mana out of "don't do it" then... more power to you, boss. I'll know not to bother explaining things to you in the future, and instead just give you feedback on your concepts that aren't batshit since they'll be easier to get you to work with.

What about making it a land?

T: Add G to your mana pool.
T, sacrifice ~: Create a [Spore Frog]

Well what would you recommend be changed about the card?

I finally have something new to post. Not much, but it's something.

I'll be honest, I've been thinking about moving to r/custommagic for a while. The few times I've posted there previously, I always got feedback. I'll keep an eye on /ccg/ though.

Locating art credits for the hundreds of cards across multiple sets that I'd like to post discourages me from moving. Plus, even in the slow times, I like /ccg/.

We were the best community for custom MtG for a very long time. Still better than plebbit, but slower now. So I guess if that other user prefers brisk posting on a terribly organized site, moving makes sense.. I'll be staying here myself, for what it's worth seeing how I post as user and don't use a set symbol so saying that is kinda pointless.

How do you feel about the ultimate on this one?

Also, I feel as though this is a perfectly taxed card at triple green for two frogs instead.

This is bonkers at 4 cmc.

>free uncounterable Spore Frog
No. It should at least cost some mana.

what do you think, 2RRR or 4RR?

Also, COUNTERSPELLS!
is this terrible? great? poorly costed? YOU DECIDE!

Better comparison is Soul's Fire. This one heals you, but it taps the creature as well. 1WR sounds fair.

This should deffinitely cost UUB and be uncommon. I would also suggest switching the wording to 'that spells controller discards a card' so you can't split the effect between multiple opponents.

Hands down I absolutely love this. That first cycle of one drops looks exactly something like Wizards would print. Outwit is an amazingly flavourful mechanic, though I do have a couple of gripes. The Spiteful Daisywatch's ability should be sorcery speed only, instant discard effects means you can get your oppoents in their draw if they are topping and creates a bad play enviroment. The Glitori Goldencap has a small typo, I assume it should be Create and not creature. Noxious, though definitely something that would be a black mechanic, doesn't feel like it fits with the other fairies, having them have kicker style effects along with Outwit and the Petal theme would be more than enough to define this as a unique tribe. And the Legend falls under the same category, her effect is BUG but doesn't seem to synergise with the rest of the faries or really represent what the others are building on.

tl;dr Fantastic design, but try to keep it more streamline.

Outwit is clever and very good and flavorful in draft but a bit less so in multiplayer formats. Which is fine, honestly.

Not a fan of monogreen flying (you can just do the "Can't be blocked except by creatures with flying or reach" thing that Canopy Cover gives, or Orchard Spirit has in place of it, just don't give it reach because it's a tiny fairie and shouldn't be blocking anyway.

Blackthistle Sprite is a bit too much; I'd go -1/-1. It fits with Noxious better thematically too. Something like this that sapped more power than toughness would fit better on a UB card honestly, since B does -N/-N and blue does -N/-0.

The Petal mechanic is alright. Unrelatedly, I especially like the Highborn.

I already told you my thoughts on Noxious; it should just be the Festering Goblin ability in my opinion because it's easier. If you wanted to limit it a little you could just do "Noxious (When this creature dies, target attacking or blocking creature gets -1/-1 until end of turn.)"

I feel like the Daisywatch is kind of fighting your theme a bit, so you might want to just change it to have a single opponent discard a card, since Outwit is geared more towards 1v1 anyway.

does one own or control a spell?

Yes people do. Like how certain spells will say 'Copy target spell you control'
And it's why Counterflux is worded so it doesn't counter your own spells.

Personally I think monogreen fliers is fine contained within a set like in the khans block. I understnad that nonflying dragons would be derpy but im very set on the sultai colors for the tribe. I could do the weird green flying mechanic but it feels a little awkward to me.

As far as noxious goes im fine with making it a scaleable festering goblin ability.

For daisywatch, if it only had the opponent discard it feels a little powerful, i could up the cost to 2B sac a petal

Control. Get thee to Gatherer and read some Oracle text, son.

An answer for all those pesky fairies

I mean it's your set, you do what you want. You certainly take or leave feedback as you see fit, so I assume you'll naturally do the same with WotC design conventions.

It's really up to you on Noxious. I'm just offering options to make it more intuitive and simplifying it a bit. Personally I like the version I suggested that cares about attacking or blocking since it dissuades you from triggering it by saccing your own stuff, but rather makes it a punishment for killing your creature as it ought to be.

You could just up the cost on Daisywatch's discard, yes.

My point is that there's precident for mongreen fliers, I'm not trying to say I don't appreciate the feedback, I'm simply discussing it with you instead of dismissing or applying it outright.

If I had the two mongreen faires be the only ones without flying, you don't think it would be a little odd?

Hooray for variant formats no one plays!

So what I suggested? Yeah, that's fine, I think it could even be 1GG.

It's not a precedent in the standard convention of the word; it's a twisting of the pie to make a theme work, like they did in NPH and Innistrad. But again, get on with your bad self, but I'd suggest maybe giving feedback in return to the people who bothered to give you some. It's the upstanding thing to do.

Conspiracy? Doesn't Commander have voting in it now too? I feel like this could also be WU, given that it's the "law" color pair.

is there feedback on a particular card you'd like?

You know, nevermind. If I have to ask you weren't going to do it anyway so what's it matter? Call it advise for the future. People posting cards and not doing anything but responding feedback on their own stuff is one of the big ways these threads die off all the time. Who wants to bother giving feedback to someone that doesn't reciprocate?

I want to say this feels more blue than white, as there was the vote again cantrip in the recent conspiracy set for one blue. the "many colors" aspect feels fine in green though, i just don't see what white does for it.

woah dude, that's a little bit of an overreaction. I'm happy to give feedback.

Alright, boys, you might remember me from a few weeks back. I'm the one making the set based on kino anime. Decided to focus on an anime at a time. Right now I'm working on the FMA inspired stuff. I took a lot of the suggestions from last time to heart. I think you'll find the cards are a lot more balanced. This image is all the alchemy spells I've made so far.

Sorry about the modern border. Couldn't install the M15 one correctly for some reason. Here are the payoff cards. What do you think of Transmutation? While it is common for Alchemy spells to have Transmutation I didn't put it on all of them as that versatility with your cards effects the value of the card for the most part especially on higher cost spells.

It seems like transmutation is almost the same as transmute. The first thing that jumps out at me is population absorption which seems too strong for the cost. See Fumigate which costs one less and just gains you life

I do realize they are incredibly similar. I didn't like how transmute wouldn't allow you to find a cheaper card and that it costed mana to transmute. I don't know maybe I'll switch. As far as cost I might increase the mana a bit on the board wipe.

consider sticking to black blue on it, i'm not sure what's white about it

So essentially you'd need to triple block to kill her with creatures. It seems like if the ability triggered on only attackers that she would be more "chastising"

True, but religious zealotry and forced conversion are also very white ideals, and attacking is kind of how you'd go about doing that, I feel. Though, as an ability on a Wall, it'd also be kinda neat, admittedly.

I think perhaps knocking down her power and giving her vigilance would be neat. maybe toughness too. As it stands she basically kills any creature she comes up against and that seems super strong to me. obviously dies to removal but so does emrakul ya know?

1WW for a 2/2 with vigilance and the same ability? Because yeah, she can block basically any creature in the game, remove trample, deathtouch, etc. That's probably fair, since it takes less dogpiling to kill her but she doesn't really lose any blocking utility. Or are you saying she should still be 2WW?

>basically any creature in the game
Well, no, I'm wrong here, she's weak against fliers, which was intended. Bit tired.

I'm saying she feels better to me as a 3 drop with an incredibly strong ability but a slightly more killable body

on an unrelated note, do you feel the body on this costs more birdsofparadise to be to strong?

I hear that. I kind of like it too now that you mention it. 3/3 was too punishing. Hell 1/2 might be fine if I needed to tone it down more. In fact... I think now she's a 1/2 for WW. Means she can block any single non-flier in the game, and makes her a great Voltron target. Done and done.

Is this supposed to be part of your faerie set? Because one instance of green flying... okay, fine. Adding more in the "anti-flying" color is pushing it. I feel like WotC is making fixing harder in general to do nowadays, but you've already tossed other stuff aside so... eh. Dorks are also more expensive these days (supposedly) but only at low rarity. So... I'd refer to Sylvan Caryatid and Beastcaller Savant to see what you get at 1G for "any color" mana dorks.

yeah honestly i don't like more green flying in the set. It doesn't need a birds, i just had some good art for it.

I'm a fan of the mentor. Really well made card.

Thanks. Do you think it should be "other creatures" to prevent confusion? I thought about that after I made the card.

I see. Well, like I said, looking at other 1G "any color mana" dorks will let you know if yours is balanced. I personally think it's too much but I also recall something about your set being pushed so I suppose it'd fit in that case.

I think k for clarity sake it's a good idea to add the other yes

Will do.

Transmutation is hilariously overpowered. If I'm running anything important with a CMC equal to or lower than a Transmutation card, I have no reason not to jam in max copies of the Transmutation cards that have equal or higher CMC. It also NEEDS a reveal clause.
Summoned Weapon isn't green, first strike isn't green.
Stone Wall is White, not Green. The first clause is W, the second clause is W or G.
Wording on Soulbind is wrong, effect is fine.
Flame Spark is literally a bolt with upside, what the christ?
Disintegrated by the Truth is too powerful, especially since it does so much. Raise the cost.
Disconnect from the Earth is parasitic. It does literally nothing if the other guy isn't playing your cards, and everything if they are. It's also not mono-G and "can't cast spells" is a W effect.
Armstrong Combat Alchemy is likely to be 8 to the face when cast. Too strong at CMC3. Make it modal.
Populace Absorption isn't U or W. It's also about two mana too cheap.
Hand of Destruction's second clause is R.
I don't get the point of Macabre Fusing. You'll have memory issues out the ass since you're not linking the exiled creatures, you're losing card advantage, all I can see it used for is to create "I WIN" combos by combining creatures that were never intended to be combined.

Elric is too powerful. Tutoring once per turn is absurd at CMC3.
Philosophers Stone (SIC) is just going to get cheated out and never played normally, or used as an instant combo wincon.
Roy is misworded and undercosted.
Gate has way too much text. Fine otherwise.
State doesn't work as written. Make it an alternative cost instead of a trigger. Likely to have severe balance issues if there's cheap Alchemists.
Combat Alchemy is likely fine. Except you need to spell out plus.