>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12536012
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_conjunction
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

To elaborate:
Occluded Mind allows you to make a creature believe one 10 word statement for 2 psi points. The statement must describe the user of Occluded Mind, or someone the target of Occluded mind can see.

"I must kill myself immediately, and Timmy is Psychic" (Timmy obviously being the mystic)

This satisfies every requirement, and against humanoids with bladed weapons, would fairly result in death.

So that means that at level 1 a mystic can kill every humanoid in the game by simply carrying a bag of daggers to hand out to his victims. For 2 psi points, the equivalent (roughly) of a first level spell slot.

All it would have taken to avoid this would be a common condition on charmed spells "the target of the spell can't be made to harm himself". But nope. This was true with v2 of the mystic, and somehow made it all the way to v3.

Is there any doubt now that mearls and crawford are lazy sacks of shit?

Maybe they finally figured out how to make a game fucking fun.

Hey, I agree on some level. But a 1st level spell that kills the vast majority of opponents in the game is so far beyond what any other class gets that interclass balance needs to be looked at.

Let's bring the martials up to the caster's level, then bring both up to the Mystic, if the mystic is to be the new baseline.

What you've written is clearly two distinct statements.

strawpoll.me/12536012

New poll for sorcerer.

I cast Suggestion and I suggest to the creature that I am targeting that it is immortal and it should display its immortality by slitting its own throat, which is not an obviously harmful action because the creature believes that it's immortal.

Instant kill spells have always existed.

No, that's one statement. It's called a conjunction. It's truth value is true when both halves are true, and false when any one part is false. Therefore, to believe it, you must believe all parts. but it is one statement.

Basic english and logic there.

First time playing open hand monk. How do I do this right?

I agree, just adding a few words would make it considerably less overpowered, and more flavorful.

A massive issue that I have seen come up is detailed in I think an easy way to fix massive AC bonuses would be to make it so that the bonus from Iron Hide only functions until the start of your next turn, like Shield, and to not allow AC bonuses from disciplines to stack.

Immortality isn't invincibility. Slitting it's own throat would still be harmful.

You are impervious to harm and you should show off your invincible nature by slitting your own throat.

One simple way to fix AC bonuses:

Magical AC bonuses don't stack. Only one can apply at any one time. When two abilities would apply, you get to choose which does so.

Now you're running into the problem that the statement is inherently contradictory:

I am imperivious to being harmed, but I am being harmed by a mind affecting spell.

Your suggestion is inherently not reasonable, because reasoning reveals the contradiction. If creatures didn't know they were being charmed, that would help your case, but they do this edition.

Occluded Mind makes a creature believe a statement. It doesn't influence a creature to act on that statement, it acts on that statement according to its own internal logic systems.

Suggestion influences the target to act on the suggestion, whereas Occluded Mind does not influence the target to act on the belief.

Although I could argue that, I won't and I'll just sidestep that issue by altering the wording.

You are impervious to harm, you are not being affected by a mind-affecting spell and you should attempt to kill yourself to demonstrate your impervious nature.

You can always phrase a belief such that a creature will act on it.

Alternatively, Broken Will for 3 points more in the same discipline lets you do the same thing by having creatures slit their own throats.

That's at least 2 additional conjunctives. Technically one sentence, I would argue that it fall outside the intent of the rule limiting you to one or two sentences.

Furthermore, the second the creature feels pain from slicing its own skin, it will obviously realize it isn't impervious to harm, stopping the action before completion.

Rate my homebrew wizard.

> planning to remove sorcs from campaign
> planning to apply same spell slot system to clerics and bards

Rise Dex and Wis up to 20
Then you can start picking other feats, p.e. Mobility
Use quarterstaff from the begining
Use your ki points wisely

You're not done autistically screeching about how overpowered giving an orc suicidal thoughts is?

Stone is the coolest one

At first level, it is definitely overpowered, compared to literally any other first level feature in the game.

>Remove sorcerer

Why would you do that?

They killed favoured soul, sure the new one is more than viable but the lore is completely different to the traditional favored soul

At first level you can do it twice per day

Garbage

I'm thoroughly convinced that I should kill myself, but I have responsibilities that prevent me from doing so. What's your point?

As long as it remains one sentence or less, it falls within the constraints of the Suggestion rules. To limit it according to the number of conjunctives is to impose house rules, which could also be done to prevent a creature from killing itself with Occluded Mind or any other discipline similar to Suggestion.

So since we're throwing those sort of house rules out of the window, I'll alter the wording further.

You are impervious to harm, pain is an illusion and is not an indicator or harm, you are not being affected by a mind-affecting spell and you should attempt to kill yourself to demonstrate your impervious nature.

In order to improve the wizard. I am not satisfied with the current spell slot system.

>In order to improve wizard
?
Are you suggesting wizard falls behind sorcerer? because that's a quite funny thought

>reinstating 3.pf style "must max out casting stat or be worthless" bullshit
>improvement
Go away

>I am not under a mind affecting spell
>but the pain I experience is an illusion

Another contradiction.

So at first glance you took the Warlock approach with upping max spell level, then scavenged metamagic. Why not just give sorcerers access to the wizard spell list?

>Implying all illusions are spells

No. I am suggesting that the wizard is not good enough. What i propose is a kind of merge of the two with a new spellcasting slot system.

>max of 5 spells per DAY
Shit homebrew

>Wizard
>Not good enough

Jesus Christ how horrifying

It's not a contradiction, it's informing the target of its true nature. It is impervious and pain is not an indicator of harm. In addition to this, it is not under the influence of a mind-affecting spell.

And if you were taking 'illusion' to mean 'spell' then okay, I'll remove that wording if you're being that picky.
You are impervious to harm, pain is is not an indicator of harm, you are not being affected by a mind-affecting spell and you should attempt to kill yourself to demonstrate your impervious nature.

We can do this forever, since this one sentence of mine can contain infinite words due to the fact that the rules don't define the constraints of a sentence.

So I was in a table where a dex-based Fighter and the DM were arguing about how throat slitting works.

Fighter thinks that if he successfully snuck up on the hobgoblin and cut his throat, he should've been granted a critical hit bonus (DM did give him advantage though) cause it makes no sense that there's a chance of failure when he grabs the goblin and slashes the throat clean.

DM thinks that it takes away from Assassin Rogue archetypes who have Assassinate as a perk for their class which works similarly. He rules that while the fighter is very able to do just that, he doesn't quite reach the same adeptness as an Assassin Rogue who has learned on the arts of lethally getting the jump on someone with such finesse.

The argument started cause the DM told the fighter to do an attack roll with advantage and the fighter missed causing the hobgoblin a lucky reprieve from death. Fighter felt he should've had that but had dice rolls screw him over (rolled a 3 and a 7)

Who was right? I kinda see where the Fighter is coming from cause really, grabbing someone and slitting their throat should be pretty damn lethal in damage. It was odd he missed esp when the odds were not against him. That said, the DM has a point cause the Fighter doesn't have the perk to do Assassinate like Assassin Rogues do so it's rather unfair if the Fighter got it. He might as well roll Rogue if he keeps doing this.

Do you have a problem with 5 wishes per day?

It's a simpler slot system that may result in fewer spells per day but you can cast the more powerful ones more often. Also, you can use metamagic at will (no spell points). I think it gives the wizard more flavor.

>wizard is not good enough
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA good joke

>you can use metamagic at will (no spell points)
ooooh so all this was bait, thank god, for a moment I thought you weren't very bright

Can someone explain how the gunsmith artificer build is good? It seems like it's really not very good at all

The assassin gets critical sneak attack damage out of it, so I'd be okay with it so long as the fighter accepts the possibility that it won't one shot the goblin.

>Stone is racing ahead
As expected.

It isn't, the entire artificer UA isn't salvageable. Stop believing their lies.

>Do you have a problem with 5 wishes per day?
>Implying I play over level 10
Besides, this just show how unbalanced this homebrew is, at low levels wizards will be shit and then gods

Here's my rework so far of the fighter class:

Some context: I'm doing this to reinstate the fun playtest mechanics that were inexplicably left out of the final edition of DnD. In some ways, this is to buff the fighter class, by granting it more utility both in combat and out. The goal of this material is to make it so that except for the Champion Fighter, the fighter class always has some interesting options that are arguably just as good as attacking 2-4 times in a turn. If I can get this to a level that I'm satisfied at, I'd like to repeat it for other classes that I think are disappointing.

Namely:

Sorcerer, Barbarian, and Monk.

If those are successful, I would like to continue the efforts to rebalance classes generally around per turn type resources, rather than per long rest/short rest. Spell slots would still exist in this context, and be balanced around short/long rests, but each class would gain access to more spell like features that are often available, such as the Circle of Dream's teleportation.

All that's a long way off though, here's the fighter makeover so far. I appreciate any criticism you can provide.

"I must kill myself immediately, and Timmy is Psychic."

These are two unrelated independent clauses.
Subjects are: "I," and "Timmy."
"must kill myself immediately" is a predicate
"is Psychic" is an adjective phrase.

They are utterly independent, each fulfilling the requirements of being a statement.

", and" is certainly conjunctive, I'll agree; it is grammatically incorrect to use here, however.

Your attempts to shame me with "Basic english[sic] and logic there." makes you look foolish.

>I am suggesting that the wizard is not good enough
>you can use metamagic at will (no spell points)
Stop.

Metamagic at will is actually a good idea, but it would need to be limited to the sorcerer class, not merged into the wizard class.

A statement can be conjunctive.

A and B is a conjunctive statement. Replace A with whatever, and b with another whatever. You still have a conjunctive statement

Mobile is your feat of choice, combining it with flurry of blows and a wood elf means you never have to get hit by a melee attack

I believe I should kill myself, yet them too scared to die so I haven't yet.

Checkmate

Thank you for knowing better than

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Logical_conjunction

I played it for 8 levels, the only decent thing in combat was my mechanical servant

You do not belong in 5e. Go to 3.pf instead.

Metamagic at will is not a good idea

>Metamagic at will is actually a good idea, but it would need to be limited to the sorcerer class, not merged into the wizard class.

I proposed this modified wizard because i want to remove sorcs from my campaign. I don't plan to have both of them use metamagic. I think that wizards should the be masters of magic.

I'd love to have a robo giant octopus

same damage as a rogue

Was the hobgoblin sleeping? If he was unconscious or paralyzed, that means any hit is a critical, but you still have to roll to hit. Essentially, if he missed despite having advantage, it meant his target somehow avoided having their throat slit. He grabbed the fighter's wrist at the last second, or put his own gauntlet-ed hand in the way, something like that.

Besides, even the Assassin has to hit his attack to make it a critical. If an Assassin had snuck up and rolled a 3 and a 7, they would've missed too.

One metamagic at 3rd level, one at 10th and one at 17th. With 5 slots (max) per day it's not overkill.

But can be cone, line, burst, etc

>When I say at will I mean 5 times per day

So I'm bringing firearms in my campaign since as time progresses, tech does and my players had a hand in the founding of this tech (they didn't create it but they helped the inventor of smokepowder tech with a pretty long adventure) so in time, firearms will be slowly popping up in the campaign world.

I'm not bringing something like the Gunslinger of Mercer's but just the firearms themselves as written in the DMG. With that, I was wondering if it's sound to put in the "Misfire" mechanic? I mean, with firearms being new, I'm sure it makes sense that the tech they'll get will be unstable.

If you blatantly exploit the rules as written without any regard for logic, almost every open-ended spell that influences another creature's mind can be used to convince that creature to kill itself. The only difference is that it's harder for some spells than for others.

Literally all it takes is a DM to say "no, that's silly" to shut this down. Yes, this UA should've been written a lot better but a little bit of basic oversight from the DM is all it takes to shut down manipulation of the RAW.

So all you're doing is providing evidence that this article is poorly written.

>muh god-tier wizard
Fuck off.

>When you use 3.pf as a insult but haven't played anything prior to 5e
Also stop.

>3 times at level 1
>4 at level 4
>5 at FUCKING LEVEL 8

Look at the concluding line of the post you've quoted.

Mechanically, it's reasonable to let that sit in the Assassin domain.
The diceroll caused a failure, you or the Fighter may imagine that grabbing an unaware creature closer and stabbing them may be very easy, but something went wrong in the process; either you, the Fighter, or the DM must imagine/narrate a failure. The goblin's skin was slick and its neck slips out of your grasp, the goblin accidentaly drops a coin in the moment and picks it up, there's an unexpected thick layer of jewerly on the goblin's neck, blocking the attack, use your imagination.

Yeah, they're lazy sacks of shit but Occluded Mind will never, ever be used to make a creature kill itself, ever.

>as an insult
Where is this implied? He wants strong wizards, i'm pointing him somewhere he gets strong wizards without having to overhaul.

That's not at will, you said at will and people called bullshit rightly.

>3 level 1 spells at level 1
>4 level 2 spells at level 4
>5 level 4 spells at FUCKING LEVEL 8

Is that so bad when mixed with metamagic?

I guarantee you it will be in some online game somewhere.

Your argument that "the DM can fix it" is vacuously true and not helpful. Technically the DM can fix all of 5e's flaws by switching to 4e.

>I think that wizards should the be masters of magic.
I think that wizards should be the IT guys of magic, dumbasses who think their ability to learn some rote code gives them deep insight on the functioning of the universe and every science they know nothing about.

Compound statements need to have related ideas. To have unrelated statements in a single sentence is grammatically incorrect, and the compound should be split in two. You are arguing the wrong point.

Go back to /4eg/.

Despite what fantasy nerd would like you to believe early firearms were actually reliable if maintained properly.

Misfire mechanics are retarded.

Immediately inventing even matchlocks right after gunpowder is also retarded. It took centuries to get to that point.

No, they don't.

Again, see basic logic.

>That's not at will,
yeah

>you said
I am not that guy

So with the mystic, what needs to be fixed before it gets published?

The mystic

Just clear writinhg, it's good as it is. Maybe add extra attack to Immortal and SoulKnife orders.

It would be more efficient to ask "what doesn't need to be fixed, and is ready for publishing?"

1. The formatting.

That's all I got.

Too much versatility, able to get 31 AC from a low level, and fiddly, poor wording on things that creates 150+ autistic posts

So I've been asked to run a game for some newbies, but online.

I've never done it online before, but I thought I'd bite.

is my best option roll20

>"hey user join the 5eg discord, it's not so bad"
>check it out
>mfw the general chat

It's literally 5eg except everyone DM-user is a tripfag flaunting their perception of what an ideal DM is about.

For starters, and if you read this and the previous threads, the suggestion like disciplines.

Also, is just me or this class isn't very multiclass friendly? I know as it's right now you can't multiclass because it has no prerrequisites or whatever, but even ignoring that you get almost no sinergy from other classes, similar to what happens to monk

>31 AC
>low level
Really, as far as I know you need Shield proficiency, a discipline from Immortal and a discipline from Wujen

The discord is garbage and I will continually refuse to put it in the OP

Wording and balance, for the most part. Too many disciplines are very poorly defined and require DM oversight.

Provided you have a sensible DM that provides appropriate oversight and moderation of balance, it's already playable.

And lots of psy points

>two stats at 20
>disciplines from 2 specs
>before level 12-16

>Mystic will be the worst class because people overreacting to it now are going to ask for huge nerfs

>implying i wont just use the old Mystics by then

5eg discord was a mistake, lads