Fiasco Stories

I just played Fiasco for the first time last night with my group, and it was a blast. It's a particular kind of fun that's hard to capture in regular roleplaying games. We played the Boomtown playset, and it was great, lots of fun and lots of laughs. I think it helps that my group has a lot of amateur actors and writers in it.

Anyways, I come asking for stories from your games. I'll start the thread off.

Other urls found in this thread:

bullypulpitgames.com/games/out-of-dodge/
mega.nz/#F!wQcykDyA!2exWtouzzkvu8hWUoDKBaw
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Enter the old west, Colorado
>2 Thieves and a grave digger conspire to make it big
>Bill, a petty thief that wants out of the game
>Sean, Bill's half brother, innocent man that digs graves for the church. He's tired of barely getting by, and Bill's roped him into a crime
>Richard, aka Dick, the biggest asshole of the group. He's the one with the contacts
>Group comes up with the crazy idea of making a fraud of an injun war club and passing it off as real to a wealthy collector in Denver
>This collector is known simply as Rick, and serves the pure and criminal alike
>Sean's not so sure about all of this, but he goes along with it anyways
>Bill's excited as hell to get on with it
>Dick comes up with 20 different ways to fuck over Rick when the time comes, knowing his illegal earnings are hidden somewhere
>While traveling, the group talks Sean into being the backup man in case things go south
>Tells him to keep his hand on his gun, and draw when the time comes

Cont.

>Group makes it to Denver, and look just like you'd expect some backwater criminal hillbillies to look like
>Get stopped by the local law, questioned
>Sheriff is mighty interested in them, even more so when he learns they're going to see Rick the fence
>Warns them about his schemes, Dick blurts out that Rick's an old friend of his, he can trust 'em
>This only makes the Sheriff even more suspicious
>Sheriff let's em go, plans to keep an eye on them
>Group goes to see Rick, leaves war club in their hotel room, they're going to bring Rick back to the room
>The plan is to lure him there by preying on his greed, and take him hostage and force him to tell where the loot is
>Sean and Bill are barely going along with this, they just want their big score. Dick, however, is getting in over his head
>Get to Rick's place, get chatting about the club, when the Sheriff comes in
>He was tailing him to just this spot, walks in right as they're talking about unsavory things
>Sheriff is absolutely convinced they're up to no good. Warns the group to get the hell out of Denver and don't look back.
>He gives them till nightfall
>After all that Rick is shaken and untrustworthy, but Sean manages to reel it back in like a good kid

Cont.

What is Fiasco and how is it different from a usual ttrpg? A lot of my friends are actor-types who get turned off by the mechanical denseness of some systems.

>Group gets back to the hotel room, trying to seal the deal before nightfall
>Sean and Bill still just want to get the money out of the club and gtfo, but Dick is still pressing for more
>Convince Rick that the club is worth thousands, and he thinks he can flip it for that much
>Dick gets him talking, only to reveal that Rick is keeping his illegal stash of money at his place
>Dick gets antsy, pulls a gun on Rick, and bashes him in the head, knocking him down
>Yells at Sean to pull the gun on him
>They go to walk Rick back to his place at gunpoint, Bill and Sean are in too deep now, and they really didn't like the cut Rick was offering on the club either
>They're stopped by the Sheriff, who was listening in on all of this
>Tells the group that he gave them their chance, put down their guns and come along with him
>A tense standoff ensues, Sean starts the shooting the the inn erupts in gunfire
>Rick, the Sheriff, and a deputy lay dead
>The group is wounded, but make their way down to Rick's place regardless
>They hastily start searching through the place, trying to find the stash
>The law comes knocking, and Dick starts shooting at them almost right away
>A gunfight ensues, and Dick takes a bullet right to the noggin
>Bill and Sean are cornered, drop their guns, and surrender
>They get tried for attempted larceny and the murder of two officers of the law and one innocent man
>Dick's lucky he's already dead. Story ends with Bill and Sean on the rope for this whole thing

And we're getting ready to play again tonight. God damn that was a good time.

It's just cooperative storytelling, but with player-assigned points and a couple of dice rolls deciding the characters, setting and the general direction the story's going to go.

The mechanics are really mostly there to give a bit of structure and allowing people that aren't comfortable with freeform RPing to ease into it.

It is a GM-less story telling game about shit hitting the fan, meant to emulate movies such as Fargo, Burn After Reading, and Heat.

There's a setup that describes the relationships between characters, and significant details about the story such as an object, location, or need. The players then work with this to define their characters somewhat and begin the story.

The story starts through things called 'scenes', which will have either a good or bad outcome for the character the scene is based around. There are 2 of these per player for act 1. After these, there is the tilt, which adds some sort of chaos to the story. A person killed at the wrong time, unexpected people showing up, the woman you're banging turns out to have a husband, and he likes guns, etc.
Then Act 2 is another set of scenes where the lives of the characters really start to fall apart. Shit really hits the fan as people die left and right, scores are settled, and people are betrayed.

Then after Act 2 is the aftermath, where the final destiny of the characters in the story is decided. This ranges from a fate worse than death to getting off scot-free and with a profit to boot.

It's terribly fun as long as your group likes improv and crafting stories. If they're more the stereotypical DnD group they might not like it so much.

I can vouch for Fiasco, but it definitely suits groups that love to improv and talk in character. It's got a default Coen Brothers feel to it, but each group will quickly find a story-style that suits them.

Our session involved the illegal, rural street racing scene in Deer Lick, Alabama, which was dominated by two racers. One was the Duke, a total asshole, the other was The Saint, a legend in a racing helmet and an all white car with a golden cross on the hood. But the main characters of the story were two brothers. The older was a racer who wanted to be rich, the younger was his mechanic who wanted to get out of Deer Lick with the girl he loved, who happened to be the daughter of the man who ran the underground racing scene.

It was a convoluted story that ended up hinging on a big pickle jar full of antique silver dollars. The older brother ended in jail, the daughter ended up catatonic, and the younger brother escaped with the silver dollars, only to find out they were all fake.

Also by the same guy who did Fiasco is Out of Dodge. If you've got a group of three friends who are game to try something new and you've got a car and some props to make it authentic, you'll have a fucking great time.

bullypulpitgames.com/games/out-of-dodge/

Did you use the Flyover playset for that or the default Southern Town playset? I kind of want to do Flyover and get a fargo kinda thing going on

Southern Town. I also want to make my own. I think the Sunset Hills Retirement Community would be amazing for Fiasco.

Wow, that would actually work perfectly. There's always all sorts of crazy shit happening in those places.

I know, right? When I get home, I'm gonna look again at what I could do for it. They provide all the stuff you need to make official looking releases.

Okay, let's break down a Fiasco setting.

Relationships
Needs
Locations
Objects

Each of these gets broken down into six "flavors" with six options for each. So for a retirement community, you could have Relationships like:

1. Staff (for people who work there)
2. Family (for people who never visit or who you wish would never visit)
3. Friendship (roommates, war buddies)
4. Romance (hey, it happens a LOT)
5. Unsavory (illicit or criminal things),
6. Out There (like your strained relationship with that fucking cat that predicts when people are going to die)

Shall we keep going?

Yes please!

Have some Fiasco stuff, anons!

mega.nz/#F!wQcykDyA!2exWtouzzkvu8hWUoDKBaw

Contributions welcome if you have anything that's not in there.

Fiasco is a terrible game if you are friends with (or know) unimaginative people.

>SECRET TRAP!
Some people that think they are pretty imaginative... are not.

Right! Had to reactive Windows, so I couldn't reply immediately. Let's start.

Relationships always describe an interaction between two people, so the players know how their characters are related. This could be a familial bond, a job, a rivalry, or a power dynamic. The point is that there's some kind of implied possibility of action or tension. Feel free to chip in with ideas/better ideas.

Relationships...
1. Staff
d1: Doctor and favorite patient
d2: Nurse and least favorite patient
d3: Pharmacist and
d4:
d5:
d6:

2. Family
d1: Estranged parent and child
d2: Parent and son or daughter-in-law
d3: Mr. or Mrs. "I Want On The Will."
d4:
d5:
d6:

3. Friendship
d1: War made you brothers
d2: Checkers/Chess/Gin Rummy buddies
d3:
d4:
d5:
d6:

4. Romance
d1: Rivals for someone's affection
d2: Highschool sweethearts who never got together
d3: Just in it for the sex
d4: 'Til Death Do You Part
d5:
d6:

5. Unsavory
d1: Prescription pill re-sellers
d2: Contraband smugglers
d3: Cooking the books on your retirement funds
d4:
d5:
d6:

6. Out There
d1: No one likes that fucking cat that predicts when people are going to die
d2:
d3:
d4:
d5:
d6:

...in a retirement community.

>Started at Uni this summer, clicked with a few people, they seemed like they could be converted to P&P
>Later date, one of those intro parties, hanging out in one of our major's chill rooms
>I decide we should play Fiasco, never played it before but I love improv
>Group is me, a big scary Brown dude who looks like he's 30, two girls, one of whom was an adorable little-sister type who seemed really into the whole tabletop thing and a gay couple
>Decide we should play the High School scenario to keep things from getting way too out-there
>[...]
>First scene ends up being me as a middle-aged teacher trying to blackmail the little-sister type into sexual services at a police station and the gay dude who was supposed to stop it "Just filming it instead, because he likes to watch"
>we end there because apart from the rape victim and I, everyone else was drunk
>mfw

Good thing they set up the scene so I could decide that I'd fail, and we decided that the girl pushed over some police archives onto Humbert, so there wasn't any actual rape, but holy shit did I not expect things to go that way at all

Think of it less as a "game" and more of a "writing prompt" that you work through as a group.

Very fun, very short, and surprisingly easy to grok even for non-tabletop autists

As someone who's always bangin' away on script ideas I'll never finish, I can say right now it's great for that.

Every single game I want to write out as a story. The game has a habit of generating some good ass stories.

it's also great for making in-jokes

The first game i played my friend was playing a stereotypical american jock, who when asked about high school said "Well doc, all I was good at was throwing and catching"

Another game, and another friend, playing an Irish general-store owner in the old-west was being interrogated by the local priest for being morally lax.
The priest said something like her "furniture wasn't sturdy" as a thinly-veiled reference to her immorality, to which she replied, in a ridiculous dublin accent "My furniture may be wonky father, but at least it doesn't have it's own ecosystem!"
It was one of those moment where everyone was silent for a second, then burst out laughing OOC

>Fiasco is a terrible game if you are friends with (or know) unimaginative people.

Very true, but if you have the right kind of people the game is GOLD.

I have friends who wouldn't be seen dead playing d20 or anything else but they'll jump at the chance to play Fiasco for an evening.

I've played it a few times. Some play sets are better than others, but there's generally always a good time to be had. One of my games started with a CryptoJew alchemist in Medici-era Florence, sneaking kabbalic symbols into the building he was funding. It ended with him founding a thousand year Zionist empire spanning the Mediterranean.