media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b:
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources and so on:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools:
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/:
DMs, did you rip-off a video game/film/tv/manga/etc. storyline/NPC/monster and incorporated it to your campaign? How did it go? Did your players catch on assuming they knew of the material?

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/12536012
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/18/can-a-creature-ready-the-multiattack-action/
sageadvice.eu/2015/06/10/ready-extra-attack/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Rate my homebrew wizard.

> planning to remove sorcs from campaign
> planning to apply same spell slot system to clerics and bards

New thread already exists

SHwoop

Am I the only one who thinks removing the armor proficiency from Immortal and giving unarmored was retarded because it essentially just makes them a 100x better monk? I mean you can stack lethal strike which is much better than Flurry of Blows, and as a reaction you can increase your AC by 4 at level one...

strawpoll.me/12536012

No surprise that Stone's in the lead.

it's 3.5e Treankmonklvl20 tier "muh GOD WIZURD"
stop posting in every thread the reaction will be the same

>DMs, did you rip-off a video game/film/tv/manga/etc. storyline/NPC/monster and incorporated it to your campaign?

I can say with absolute certainty that my campaigns are 100% slapdashed from other works of fiction, that somehow coalesce into it's own thing after about a month of fine-tuning and working out story details.

Why do magical stat boosting items make the stat 19? Thats both literally and figuratively an odd number.

i think i do but i don't think most anons agree with me so idk. oh well at least my group is cool with going along with my dumb ideas.
i'll post later but i don't want to post after posting about complaining that no1 likes me that just seems too sad.

so it can just use meta magic for free, but obviously it only has at max 5 spell slots a day?
i kind of like it honestly.

Because the developers didnt figured yet that the game would be better if the score range was 0-10 with 10 being +5.

I'm aware I'm (You) making the Minotaur hexblade. Are you saying that using Curse Bringer isnt worth it?

not that user, but it just means you can't use charisma for your attacks if you use curse bringer.
i don't think that makes curse bringer bad, just something to keep in mind.

>DMs, did you rip-off a video game/film/tv/manga/etc. storyline/NPC/monster and incorporated it to your campaign? How did it go? Did your players catch on assuming they knew of the material?

Yes, been pulling elements from a couple book series I like. Try to stay away from videogame ripping because it's how me and my friends met so it'd be blatantly obvious. Only possible one, so far, is Foulspawn=Darkspawn from DAO since they are underground being led by mindflayers against the dwarven kingdom.

Other than not subtle influences to maybe give a character personality.

So far no one has, then again I don't know if many of them have read the books I'm pulling from.

Is there any monster that deals thunder damage?

Why are yakfolk such pieces of shit?

Making a level 7 Abjuration Wizard. Currently have Fire Shield and Greater Invisibility. Should I get another 4th level spell or a lower level spell like rope trick or mirror image?

literally who?

Bronze Dragon's thunderclap as a lair action.
Djinni's scimitar attack.
Creatures with the Thunderwave spell. These include the Djinni, Lich and NPC Druid.

Alright I got permission to make a Mystic. Should I be a Halfling Soul Knife or a Human Avatar?

Make a super AC Avatar, and punish your DM for being cool.

Tongue-in-cheek *teleports behind you* nomad elf (for longsword prof)

They feature in SKT.

>super ac avatar
Explain

I'm either going Halfling Soul Knife that was a Noble's Daughter's bodyguard or a Human Ardent based of a small paragraph of flavor from the 4e Psionic Power book.

>DMs, did you rip-off a video game/film/tv/manga/etc. storyline/NPC/monster and incorporated it to your campaign?
If I do its completely unintentional and just through cultural osmosis. I put Arthas (when he was a goodly young noble) into a game by accident

To be fair Arthas is a pretty unoriginal character.

Arthas is basically a less sympathetic Elric.

Avatar for shield prof. [AC = 10+Dex+2]
Level 1 Discipline: Mastery of Force, Inertial Armor (2 psi points for 8 hrs of 14+Dex AC) [AC = 14+Dex+2]
Level 3 Discipline: Bestial Form, Iron Hide (2 psi points for 1 hr of +2 AC) [AC = 14+Dex+2+2]
Level 5 Discipline: Iron Durability, Psychic Focus (+1 AC) [AC = 14+Dex+2+2+1]
Also level 5 Iron Durability, Iron Hide (1-7 psi points reaction, 1-7 AC until end of next turn)

That totals to 24 AC with 20 dex, and 31 on reaction.

Yeah, he's just a subversion of Arthurian tales where instead of gaining a whole bunch of good friends then a magical sword that unites the land he loses all his friends then his sword steals his soul.

It could work tho right? Since I'm rolling Minotaur I get up to 2+ to my strength. So couldn't I go for a more frontline str hexblade build that uses warlock spells for ranged attacks and utility?

Don't bother going Hexblade unless you're using the smite, AKA going Strength. Going Strength isn't a noob side build, it's the main build.

what kind of a loot would the players get after defeating a sea hag in an underwater tomb?

yeah definitely

Pathfinder player joining a 5e campaign for the first time soon, flipping through the trove and a few resources online and I have a few questions:

1: The rules are short and if I read that section of the core book I should be more-or-less good to go, yeah?
2: In which books do I find the new classes / races / feats / etc. Just a few in each book, or just the unearthed arcana line, or...?
2b: What exactly is unearthed arcana?

So I'd be golden then?

Yes. The only weakness for it, like the weakness of all Warlocks is forcing short rests. One short rest between long rests basically makes it better for damage than Paladin, a comparable Cha secondary stat build/class.

1. For the most part yes
2.Players Handbook
2b. Play testing material out on wizard's site. Check with DM if he is ok with you using something Frome there.

>do this
>trick your DM into adding caster enemies everywhere
>rest of the party reveals they can all cast Silence and Counterspell

>1
Yeah, the PHB is pretty much all you need

>2
SCAG and TOEE Player's Supplement have some options but the bulk is going to be the PHB. 5E isn't super big on splatitis.

>2b: What exactly is unearthed arcana?
Playtest material. Mostly unsuited for multiclassing and some of it is wholly unsuitable for play as published unless it's clear the game is willing to playtest.

Eldritch Knight in full plate and shield with with Blur and/or Haste and Shield on their spell list is already basically that.

As a DM, you deal with it the exact same way, make 'um roll saves more.

From*

Why do players always want to play high level campaigns?
Is a level 1-5 campaign too narrow of a scope for an old school hex crawl kind of campaign? Looking at class abilities it seems level 5 is when spellcasters first get access to 3rd level spells, but it also seems a terrible cutoff point because it's right before a ton of class features which are granted at level 6.
I just like low level campaigns, but it seems when I was recruiting almost all players wanted to play starting level 7+ or at the very leave level 3.

I suppose I can disregard everything and just advertise I'm running a low level hexcrawl. I guess I'm just a different kind of player who enjoys rpgs more of a roguelike type than power fantasy. Or would I just be better off using a different system instead?

There's a few new class archetypes in Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide. Volo's guide has race options for monster races.
Unearthed Arcana is playtest material and not ""official"", ask your DM before using it since they may not be balanced. I'm guessing they'll eventually put some of the better UA options in a PHB 2, though I'm only making assumptions.

Megaanon is the hero we need but don't deserve.

There's also Mirror Image if they want to take defence to 200%.

And fighters have the spare ASI to get Save Proficiency and the ability to reroll saves.

verily

>tank shows up with omega AC
>enemies hit literally anyone else
>grapple or disarm tank and play keep-away with his sword
actually i encourage the AC whoring behavior because at least he's doing something besides HUR HUR I'VE GOT A HALBERD / GREATSWORD WITH PAM/GWM

I'm the same as you. I've found as a player I prefer to start at level 1 in a world of other powered characters. So even when I have the ability to fly, throw fireballs and teleport I don't feel that unique. I like most larger towns to have at least one medium leveled spellcaster and one medium leveled martial.

Not to say they shouldn't be special, just that as a Player I shouldn't be the only person who stands a chance against enemies.

Mystic has a disciplina that you add your psipoints to the roll. on the same discipline, you get using concentration advantages on int/wis/cha.

The EK buffs are way harder to achieve also. Haste as an example, dont last long and it punishes you when it finishes.

Another discipline gives Blur through concentration. Using the lvl 11. you can get blur and advantage on most save throws.

Gadgets and gizmos aplenty
Whooz-its and whatz-its galore

You want thingamabobs?
I got twenty
But who cares?
No big deal
I want moreeeeee

I, too, enjoy encountering cool NPCs with similar or greater powerlevels to be bros or arch-enemies with.

There isn't a lot of variation early on. Later you can differentiate yourself through archetypes, feats, multiclasses, choices within an archetype, spells, and fighting styles. And there's also potential for specialization through gold spent, or magic items acquired.

>the weakness of all Warlocks is forcing short rests.
I hear this a lot, but my players take short rests every couple of fights without fail and we don't have any warlocks. I don't quite get how it's a weakness, since it doesn't seem like a shift in behaviour.

Good shit.

You cheeky dick waffle

This. It's no fun to be the great chosen one when I've only been an adventurer for half a year. I'd much rather be sent to do a quest because everyone else either doesn't care, or isn't insane enough to be an adventurer.

Believe it or not, but there are campaigns out there where there's basically one fight per session, and a long rest in between.

Thanks anons, very helpful!

I'm trying to fix this. I need to speed up my combat with easier combats and cheat sheets of my player's characters.

I sort of encountered that near the end of Curse of Strahd, when the wizard got Tiny Hut and realised they could long rest in dungeons safely.
I've decided for my next campaign to use the Gritty Realism variant rule for resting to curb this shit.

They'll just spend a literal week in their cabin then. You need to put a clock on the players.

I never got this. To me combat's just as much of the game as anything else. Sometime sure, some sessions have zero combat and others are an entire siege of nothing but combat and skill checks. I will never understand people who camp in dungeons though.

Can we continue the blink/mirror image bit from last thread?

There's a few things working in mirror image's favor as well. First, It's a 2nd level spell compared to 3rd. This means it doesn't have to fight with other great spells like Haste and Fireball. In fact, it has no competition other than most likely Shield and Misty Step.

Second, Mirror image can negate an enemy's turn. Blink doesn't. The enemy just goes and targets someone else. And don't quote me on this, but can't they just use their Ready action and reaction to shoot you when you poof back? And it doesn't seem infallible either. There are some, just some creatures that don't give a shit about you being ethereal or not.

Though for me, I'd take mirror image over blink just because it's a level 2 spell compared to a level 3.

Mirror Image is 100x cooler then spastic shifting as well. Other people might not care about that but I personally love the imaginary copies.

I don't really get that. I actually enjoy low levels in a lot of games where you scrounge out what you can muster against harder opponents, but...

In a game like D&D, if the DM throws out a bunch of high powered enemies or allies or whatever, it kinda comes off as obnoxious.
'No, this character is powerful, you're not allowed to kill them off or use what few powers you have to influence them or whatever, retreat back to your dirt hovels you low level players'

If I'm at a low level, I want NPCs we meet to generally be similarly non-powerful. Sure, a powerful one might show up 'sometimes' or enemies might turn up with a powerful one-use magic scroll we didn't expect, but I don't expect low level players to be meeting kings and queens of the abyss at every corner and being railroaded and buttfucked by said kings and queens whenever they get off the railroad.

I dislike the things like 'Okay, you're a level 1 character just starting out and NPCs are trying to make you feel important, but there's a level 65 stormwind guard over there who could have just breathed on everything you're fighting now to save the village and it'd have just died.'

Realize that while they're spending 8 hours in an extremely visible magical globe, time passes outside.

Tiny hut is also incredibly conspicuous. If they're using it to rest in a hostile dungeon, it's your duty to have an ambush waiting for them.

>And don't quote me on this, but can't they just use their Ready action and reaction to shoot you when you poof back?
If they're ranged yeah, but if they're melee you can come back anywhere in a 10 ft radius

wha- syrup?

I'm lowering the long rests down to a couple of days in the interests of keeping things moving (and also because if they don't beat the villain in a couple months bad stuff will happen).

>Players in a spot of bother
>Large scale battle that is not in their favour
>Two of your players get extremely salty every time they take damage
>Whine loudly that they can't make optimal plays every turn
>One of them goes down due to incompetence (but is healed next turn) and walks away from the table
>Your other players decide to have fun and just do what they can, enjoying the experience

The smallest amount of pressure really reveals a persons character.

and I judge them for it

That's why I dislike playing a mercenary, most towns and cities don't need them when there's an army of Lawful Good guards on watch. Being a treasure hunter is where it's at.

Any large creature or creature with 10ft reach can cover that, then.

A large creature standing exactly where you disappeared should be able to reach any point you pop back in at.

Where can I find some good spell effects I can print out? I know there's that Arcknight stuff, but that shit's expensive. Whats with companies selling plastic for gold?

At that rate you've used your action to remove the enemy's multiattack, and their opportunity attack, and that's assuming they know what the fuck you're doing as a Wizard.

I don't know where it says they lose their multiattack.

Multiattack is an action. Extra attack is a feature that applies to the attack action when used on your turn.

So multiattack should still be usable as a reaction.

>if the DM throws out a bunch of high powered enemies or allies or whatever
That's why you get a DM that doesn't do this. You have to make NPCs with high power levels as rare as NPCs with oodles of political power, and the party should be as accordingly wary of fucking with them. Like, the mob will intimidate individual cops, but seldom do they go after the police chief, or lawyers, or judges, and they don't fucking try to murder the DA until they're on their very last resort.

This strong NPC isn't just Tom Bumbledick, Level 14 Wizard who got there by adventuring and now has nothing better to do than run solo around the world not solving problems. He's part of the Queen's Guard or Ye Olde CIA.

A held action in the form of an attack allows you to use multiattack, you're basically holding your normal attack til a later point and using a reaction (one reaction per round).

An AOO which also uses a reaction is limited to one melee attack.

shite

>Extra attack is a feature that applies to the attack action
yes
the attack action
not the ready action

He's Elric but embracing his asshole nature rather then at conflict with it.
Do you not know Elric?

>Do you not know Elric?
He probably knows about as much about Elric as he does about the Arthurian legends.

>Am I the only one who thinks removing the armor proficiency from Immortal and giving unarmored was retarded because it essentially just makes them a 100x better monk?

You're not alone, but you ARE wrong.

>As a bonus action, you imbue a weapon you’re holding or your unarmed strike
with psychic energy. The next time you hit with it before the end of your turn, it
deals an extra 1d10 psychic damage per psi point spent.

Compare that to how an Open Hand monk (the kind that is most relevant for all discussions of "monks punching things" rather than "expensive spell effects") conveys a variety of effects. Unlike the Battlemaster, for 1 of his points he gets to knockback, shut down reactions, or prone people, twice.

There is no more overlap between Immortals and Monks than between Barbarians and Monks or Dragon Sorcerers and Monks.

Tell me about your nomad builds.
Trying to decide if I'd like to use a weapon or just use talents for damage.

What about rural places that don't have a budget for Elite MMO Guards? Or places that can't spare guards to have you deal with a problem. Or wants additional help for something threatening.

I imagine mercenary work wouldn't be bad.

Eh, it's not a matter of I won't do it I guess. Just It's not my favorite type of campaign. Anything's better then Evil ones or Forgotten Realms high level bullshit.

That's not quite it.

You don't make multiple attacks with your reaction because extra attack doesn't apply and you're not taking the attack action.

You don't make multiple attacks with your multiattack because you're not using the multiattack action.

You can make multiple attacks as a reaction if you store an action that has something that applies to it or functions so that you make multiple attacks (i.e. eldritch blast or regular attacks under the hypothetical condition that extra attack did not state that it must be on your turn)

So, as it is, you could store an action to attack and then use your action to attack on your own turn and extra attack will apply.

You ready the attack action.

It's still the attack action in the end.

>You ready the attack action.
>It's still the attack action in the end.
No, you're making the Ready action. It's a completely different action.

There's a bit of a grey area between "NPCs should be as weak as PCs when they encounter them" and "NPCs cannot be killed off or influenced, level 65 Stormwind guards etc."

If you want a town to have longevity, there's nothing wrong with the PCs being weaker than the troops in that area (in terms of hp anyway; npc warriors compare terribly badly due to nofeats) when they first show up. They'll be drastically more powerful than them soon enough.

I like things along the level of veterans for typical NPC troops (not draftees etc). CR 3 is a nice balancing point; I have most medium sized combative NPC humanoids, friend and foe alike, be in the CR 2-4 range. Just enough so that, in groups, they can deter big fuckin monsters. Orcs, hobgoblins, etc. feel a lot more "right" to me as reasonably hefty (though still inferior) analogs to PCs like the hobgoblin devastators and various orc cleric equivalents, and are still at the bottom 80% or less of the monster hierarchy.

"Then, you choose the action you will take in response to that trigger, or you choose to move up to your speed in response to it."

You're taking an action.

Just because you used action surge doesn't cause the action you got from action surge to be an 'action surge' action.

If you ready the 'dodge' action for some absurd reason, it doesn't stop being the dodge action.

Multiattack is for when a creature can make multiple attacks "on it's turn", which means readying and using it off your turn wouldn't be applicable. There is space to say you could ready, and use it on your own turn since Extra Attack is "whenever you use the Attack action on your turn", which has the timing, and action stipulation.
sageadvice.eu/2016/11/18/can-a-creature-ready-the-multiattack-action/

Eldritch Knights can't take blur, haste, or mirror image, as they're illusion, illusion, and transmutation, respectively. Eldritch Knights are limited to Evocation and Abjuration, beyond one of their first-level starting spells.

Yeah. I like having just generally decent human beings in good health at about hte same level as a level 3 player (though you don't have to give them any special abilities that ap layer would get).

It helps strengthen them as a 'Even if players get to level 15 later and can easily take on a few guards, they're still screwed if 100 level 3 guards show up.'

Not bad to have some NPCs above that. There'd definitely be some. But I'd be tentative about throwing level 20-something NPCs around straight away, whereas something like CoS if I'm recalling right just shoves Strahd straight in your face early on.

>is meant to

Whoops. Looks like they fucked that up.
Anyway, it's really not OP to allow them to do so. Since they gave up their action on their turn to hold it for a condition that may never arise. Not allowing it is fucking dumb, in my opinion.

I just joined this conversation btw

This is better.

sageadvice.eu/2015/06/10/ready-extra-attack/

Jeremy seems to say you can't hold extra attack because it can only proc on your turn.

Its legitimately difficult to imagine rural towns doing much surviving in D&D land when the wilderness is inhabited by endless hordes of aliens, mutants, megapredators, etc without fairly competent guardians, although its important to emphasize the guardians are probably not fantasy cops created by "the government" but, depending on the setting, retired adventurers, mercenaries, merchant escorts, noble house guards, martially oriented priesthoods of a god of protection or community who view defending the public as their form of worship, etc.

I have a new player starting soon and they want some advice for character creation.

What's a good race for an Open Hand Monk?

I wouldn't say that the book says that it's for the creature to make multiple attacks 'on its turn', but I can agree, especially with the sage advice that it's intended to only be on the creature's turn.

That's kinda worse because we all already know that extra attack specifically states it won't work outside of your own turn.

However, nothing says that multiattack doesn't work outside your own turn aside from the above sage advice.