Which plane has the best flavor and why is it Ravnica?

Which plane has the best flavor and why is it Ravnica?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Ravnica is just Sigil with a slavic themed generic fantasy bent. And most of the slavic touches were dropped by RTR anyway.

Mirrodin has the best flavor.

>Mirrodin
Patrician taste. Kawigama is pretty close.

>with a slavic themed generic fantasy bent
ah, so it wasn't just my imagination that some names like orzhov or dimir sound a bit russian

Sorry user, you won't get many responses because this is shitty bait. Ravnica IS clearly best.

I also enjoyed Rav a LOT. The novels were also a very good read IMO. But the point is that there is no best flavor, only a shit one, which is Theros. It was aweful. A stain upon the recent history of magic. Mirrodin (especially Scars) was very enjoyable.

>that pic
They used the guild leader or guild legend in each pic... except the Boros one, where they used Firemane Angel instead of Razia, whose art even looks good. Morons.

I'd put Kamigawa with its obsure spiritual hijinks and Lorwyn with its fairy tale-like flavor above Ravnica.

They could have chosen Kos, who was literally the main character.

Because all 10 2-colour combinations are at least decently represented, have at least some lore and have some unique gimmicks, this along with the emphasis on actually playing these factions by pumping out shittonnes of gold cards allows the flavor of the plane to blend perfectly with the mechanics of the game, making the world feel alive, and helping you intuitively understand the factions. You know izzet are crazy wizards because they have random effects and have instant/sorcery tribal. You know Selesnya are communists because they're about making lots of little things and buffing them all together, and using them to empower other things. So on, and so forth.
Innistrad would be my second, but despite my love for gothic horror, the flavor just doesn't come across as well through gameplay.

Also fine but instead they picked the retarded Firemane Angel art, because they're idiots or something. Good piece of art ruined.

Ravnica? That's a weird way to spell Innistrad

I really liked Kamigawa honestly.
I know that makes me a minority, but I think even if the actual cards were meh, the setting itself was interesting (Even if it was mostly "Let's mix High Fantasy with weeb and see what we get") and the art was fucking spectacular.

could you educate me on the other slavic references? other than the onessaid?

RAV was my favorite. Too bad RTR killed the flavor.

Neo-Walkers were a mistake.

Innistrad a best, at least before they went back and fucked everything up.

There are rusalka on Ravnica.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rusalka

Because they fucked over Innistrad irreversibly.

no they didn't. It's gone back to normal for the most part as is the case for most planes by the end, so they don't have to drastically change their core identity mechanically. It's pretty much the same except the moon now contains an eldritch horror and there's more cults.

Excepte for the whole humans virtually dying out and having no angels pretty much to protect them from the now much stronger and more populated vampire/werewolf populations, Sorin getting Grrl power'd, etc.

Innistrad is totally destroyed even if it wasn't blown up.

Humans were almost virtually died out during Dark Ascension as well, Sorin did shit all in the first place due to leaving Avacyn to police the plane which has pretty much not worked out nay time Innistrad has been on-screen (whose role has been filled by Sigarda already, and the human's faith magic has not been evidently affected so far). The world is at status quo right now, albeit yes with fewer angels, but it's not liek we have any idea of how many angels is too few or how many we had between now and then so how you even quantify that to make the conclusion that Innistrad is currently "totally destroyed" is beyond me. As far as we know, Innistrad is about as at equilibrium as it usually is, both for mechanical and gameplay reasons as stated and because the story has implied that.

Also, Emrakul corrupted all monster populations equally save for zombies and we know Liliana has the ability to return them so. All the populations have been reduced for all monsters. I haven't read the art book so I don't know the relationship between the corrupted Eldrazi monsters and normal ones, but I think it can be assumed that they are not allies so.

I'm torn between 3 different than planes Mirrodin Alara and Kaldesh. Mostly because I love artifact themes so I'm biased to the sets Ravnica has the best lore though.

>save for zombies
well, and Spirits I guess, but spirits aren't always malicious in nature and out to kill people and they are often benevolent and even outright allies as of SOI. I always forget spirits.

Now that I think about it, I don't know what happened to the eldrazi monsters at the end of the story. I assume they were just hunted and killed for the most part similarly to how the drones and spawn were handled on Zendikar in the past, but probably have some wandering ones leftover for some Shadow out of Time-ish encounters.

One thing I think SOI doesn't get enough credit for are the Lovecraft references. Some of them are pretty obscure, as obscure as referencing such a popular writer can be. You can tell that the creative really gave a shit and knew some stuff.

Because "old" Phyrexia isn't an option anymore?

*sniff*

RIP

We know exactly dick about old Phyrexia as a plane anyway.

I was going to say Kaladesh but I think that may just be because it's the newest thing. I really like the stream of thought it took to get to coming up with the themes and concepts that make it up. It's seemingly random things (steam punk with an east indian aesthetic? why?), but how they got to connecting them all together makes sense. They wanted to do artifact world. They knew it was Chandra's homeworld. She had an Indian name and a steam punk aesthetic, and people wanted steampunk world, and Chandra's rebellious nature seems suited to a steampunk story. The world had to have some Indian inspiration because of the name, and Victorian england is a common trope for steampunk, and the colonization of India is a clear connection there. They didn't want to have a grimy world and wanted to avoid the themes of colonization so they went for a bright world and removed the typical British steampunk look and just focused on the Indian aesthetic. There's just a clear web of connections that got us the world a it is. There's just a few little things that bug me. I really wish the world felt a little more "bollywood" as a kind of consolation to the fact they didn't want to make a Hindu world because of it being a living religion many still practice, but still being something distinctly Indian as well as optimistic, and I feel like the filigree thing is still out of place and conflicting with Esper aesthetically. Tezzeret's Esper-style constructs don't even really look that esper anymore due to probably them struggling make it distinct from the Kaladesh style. I get why they did the filigree thing (since the world has an emphasis on art and beauty, and it fit the idea of the imitating nature and the natural flow of aether) but eh.

"Ravnica" literally means "plain".

Holy fuck I thought I formatted this

They could have done more to make ithe a different style but it is what ithe is. The biggest ball they dropped in my opinion was the addition of the 2 angel and 2 demon cards both feel extremely out of place on this plane avatars or something more Indian would have been better. Also I wish the tezzeret cards looked more pyrexian or espery I have a deep love for the Tezzeret cards and he didn't feel like he should or his cards.

Slightly related, is it possible to make a Rakdos character in a Ravnican setting with being a total edgelord?

>Slightly related, is it possible to make a Rakdos character in a Ravnican setting with being a total edgelord?
>WITH being a total edgelord?
Yes, user. Yes it is. Very much so.

Yes, it's pretty easy actually.

I haven't gotten it but from what I heard of the art books the angels are practically an after thought. I love their design, I think they are excellent (and I think they are fine being angels despite what some people will say, devas = angels is not a totally incorrect interpretation to my knowledge), but they pretty much just exist in the world and that's it. The people of Kaladesh are not religious (some are spiritual but the spirituality of the great conduit is unrelated to angels to my knowledge), so the angels are just kind of there, personifying a perfect invention and are apparently good luck omens at least. I think it's said the demons are supposed to be created through a ritual using a dark schematic by inventors who wanted to create inventions as beautiful as angels, and that's about the extent of their lore as well.

>Other than being a guild of miscreants, the Cult of Rakdos does have a civic function in Ravnican society per the Guildpact; some members work as manual laborers and even slaves, and the guild overall has a niche as Ravnica's entertainment industry, such as clubs.

We actually knew quite a lot about it

Not really. Id say we know "quite a lot" about Innistrad or Zendikar.

Hinduism defi itely has demons (asura), and classifying devas (the opposite of an asura) as an angel is fine, and in fact in DnD there are Devas which are a subtype of angels there as well, so there is precedence. James Wyatt was part of the creativefor Kaladesh iirc and he was a DnD person so that may have something to do with it.

I feel like the "should have been avatars" and "angels and demons dont fit india" feels like an echo that extends from Shivam's criticism of the world. I mean, I know the dudes like a Hinduism expert or whatever the fuck but a quick google easily reveals the idea of "angels"in Hinduism is really not that strange. I think the only criticsm to be had about them is A) they dont actually matter in the world and are totally out of place just based on the culture of Kaladesh itself, regardless of actual Idian religion, and B) both angels are called "Angel" in the name and really should have gotten an indian flavored name like the cat monkeys got with "bandar".

I really liked original Zendikar. Reading through the Planeswalkers guide for Zendikar I really got a sense of the mysterious, untamed, wild world they were going for. It reminded me of how I felt playing D&D for the first time; wide-eyed, with an entire world to explore set before me.

And then the Eldrazi Nation attacked.