Last time on Song of Swords:
More handwringing about the Kickstarter
Jimmy's dead, RIP in peace
A Combined SoS/Ballad PDF
Inexplicable Fate shitposting

The KS link & Opaque's website
kickstarter.com/projects/2006613790/song-of-swords-tabletop-roleplaying-game
songofswords.net/

Song of Swords is a a tabletop RPG centered around realistic medieval fightan' with a ludicrous variety of weapons and fighting styles, centered around a dice pool system. It's currently in beta, and can be used for both fantasy and historical games. Kickstarter is happening NOW we are kicking ass baby!

Call of the Void: Ballad of the Laser Whales is a pulpy sci-fi tabletop RPG about fighting space-nazis and hunting giant whales with harpoons made out of the moon. Its combat system is more modern, based in the early 20th century, but can probably handle combat up to the present day.

MEGA folder containing current version of the game and all supplementary materials.
Note that the latest version of the game is v1.9.9 but with additional supplements. It's NOT what's currently on Opaque's website, because Jimmy is Jimmy.
mega.nz/#F!S89jTT7J!ozFi9GvzaFGHfBa59Ik2-Q

Here's a wiki detailing SoS's fantasy setting, getting filled up bit by bit as Jimmy reveals more details:
tattered-realms.wikia.com/wiki/Tattered_Realms_Wiki

We also have a Discord now, at discord.gg/zzTq7Xw
And a Reddit: reddit.com/r/SongofSwordsRPG/

There's also a roll20 room where new players are encouraged to try the rules, test new rules, and find game breaking issues: app.roll20.net/join/346755/hRKd4w
If you're looking to learn, post here in the thread. We also play Guy Windsor's card game Audatia in the room.

The legend is pretty damn close to having 30,000 dollars.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=5lWvu2LzDkA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

fecht when

FECHT WHEN

fechtmind

>Two Vis. Iconics remain
>It would be so easy
>But I'd lose all my GM+ goodies

Hmmm......

Make another account and pledge again.

Okay it wouldn't be THAT easy I'm not made of money.

Also at that point it would just be more economical to get things as add-ons.

do that then

How do add-ons even work? Do you just keep your tier but change the money amount and then message them saying "Hay I paid X extra $'s send me Y add-ons!"?

Usually, a poll is sent out to backers that lets you assign the extra money you pledge to addons.

I want it. I need it.

>not impoverishing yourself for The Cause
Get it together, Comrade.

Cant wait for the final release of the rules next year, I just dont know if I should run it for my group before then or wait till feb which is still a pretty long way away. They loved that system that shell not be named so they would love SoS. Guess you cant really have enough SoS for that to be a real problem though.

Go ahead and say Riddle of Steel. It's Jimmy who can't say it, not us. You should play SoS so you can find flaws and praise high points in the system. And you can always play Bovine or BoB too.

So any basic idea for types of iconics we are getting? other then khopeshfags.

>you can always play Bovine

Bovine is the Pathfinder of the RoS family.

Look what I found deep in my folders.

Is that captain crunch?

One of my player wants to take the retainer boon, any advise of a why to handle it? Was think of kind of using reverse dependent rules for creating the henchmen.

It sucks the prize guy hasn't show up and Haki has to use his slot.

coffee gonna make zellmurhaja a thing.

>Only one Iconic male is taken

Wait so which is it?

Shit, man! I dont know! I'm just a dog!

No.
Fecht when?

NEVER, at this rate.

Everyone's dying of the plague.

I know I am

youtube.com/watch?v=5lWvu2LzDkA

Gary Coleman makes a pretty good spokesperson.

Apologies, my computer died today, had to restore from backup, which is always fun. Let me get shit ready for fecht, as the shit I had prepped was not backed up, so I'll have to redo all that. Fecht soon!

>computer dying
>needing blood transfusions
>twelve simultaneous hernias
>weak liver
This isn't good
We're worried about you

It was a depakote infusion, I've never had a hernia, and I don't know what my liver has to do with any of this. Regardless, let us begin.

Kal Rahzed, Nisperadan Raider

CP: 14/13
MP: 9/8
FR: 2
CAR: 9/10

STR 5 AGI 5 HT 5 END 5
WIL 5 WIT 5 INT 5 PER 5
ADR 5 TOU 5 CHA 7 MOB 7 GRIT 5 CAR 10

Profs:
Officer School Level 8
Polearm (+1)
Bow (+1)
1H Sword (+0)
Wrestling (+0) Superior Trap, Superior Coup-De-Grace, Superior Limb-Break
Throwing (+0)

Talents:
That was Left-Handed! [N]
Flourishing Drills [N]
Grappling at the Sword [N]
Good Form: Rideby [J]
Headguard [J]

Skills:
Awareness 5
Craft: Painting 6
Knowledge: History 4
Ride 5
Leadership 5
Tactics: Foot 4
Stealth 3

Melee Weapons:
Karthacki Hooked Arming Spear with Queue 2H|VL|7(+0c)|7(+2p)|7(0) Fluid Thrusts, Hand-Off, Hook 4WT
*1H|VL|9(-1c)|7(+1p)|9(0)
Scimitar 1H|M|7(+0c)|7(-1p)|7(2) Draw 2, Cavalry Sword 0.5WT
Rondel Dagger 1H|S|7(-1c)|6(+1p)|7(1) Fluid Thrusts, Light Blade, Thin Blade
Large Knife

Missile Weapons:
Composite Horsebow Bow 25|7MTN|5p|4|Cavalry Bow 3
10 Bodkins, 10 Broadheads, 10 Heavy Broadheads
6 Burdinadin Type 19 Hand Grenades

Armor:
Skullcap w/ Identifying Crest 8/7/6 Upper Head Hard 0WT
Silversteel Facemask 10/9/8 Face? Restricts Breathing 1, Hard 1WT/-1PP
Mail Coif 6/4/3 Lower Head, Neck, Upper Head Hard, Layer 1, Mail 1WT
Torso|
Lamellar Vest 5/5/5 Full Torso Hard 1WT
Mail Vest 6/4/3 Full Torso Hard, Layer 1, Mail 0.5WT
Quilted Shirt 2/3/4 Full Torso, Groin, Hip, Thighs Textile 0WT
Arm|
Vambraces 8/7/6 Forearm Hard 1WT
Gauntlets 8/7/6 Hand? Hard 2WT
Mail Long Sleeves 6/4/3 Elbow, Forearm, Shoulder, Upper Arm Hard, Layer 1, Mail 1.5WT
Quilted Long Sleeves 2/3/4 Elbow, Forearm, Shoulder, Upper Arm Textile
Leg|
Quilted Leggings 2/3/4 Groin, Hip, Knees, Shins, Thighs Textile
Leather Boots 3/2/2 Feet

Boons & Banes:
Literate, Karthacki, Lagorian, Ruvian, Helian (4)
True Grit (6)
Langauges (3) Karthacki, Ruvian, Lagorian, Burdinadin, Ohanedin, Helian
Brave (3)

>Silversteel Facemask

It is a cool spring night, the full moon providing a good amount of lighting, even within the dense wood of the forest.

You and your cadre has been following a Lagorian caravan on route to Glade Mendiak for the last week, on the orders of Kal Amar. Last night, as you camped, a messenger Shulka arrived with orders to move on the convoy as soon as possible, and to secure whatever cargo they are transporting.

Tonight, you, your 10 Shulkas, and 2 subordinate Kals (all Havas mounted), are on the outskirts of the forest in which the Lagorians have made camp. They've been camping away from the roads during the night, trying to stay out of sight. In the day, they've flown no banners. You've estimated the party some 25 strong, all fighting men. You have the cover of night, and their camp lays within the woods, down the trail ahead.

How shall we proceed?

Surround in squads, try to eliminate sentries stealthily with your Kals, using those bows.
Consider distributing grenades among the men to use as an opening shock; if not that, oil flasks on tents.

Once they are surrounded, launch the ambush.
Plan B is have your Kals fall in on you and cut a path directly for their commander while the shulkas attack.

>bows
>stealthily
Sniping isn't going to be very effective at night. Even if our MPs are dropped by just -25%, we have really bad chances of shooting anyone. Just forget about shooting through armor.

Ah, I should note, we'll be using hybrid rules, Ballad for all our missile stuff, SoS for engaging and combat (obviously). Feel free to ask rules questions as they come up.

You and your squad pick your way through the forest. One of the advantages of Havas, while they may not be as robust as horses, they have little difficulty navigating forests.

Soon, you find the edge of the camp. They've set up in a clearing, forming a roughly circular camp. Three rather large tents are dotted around, with the four covered wagons near the far side of the camp. Most of the horses are tied up on the left side of the camp, with a water trough. You can see two pairs of watchmen from this angle. It's hard to make out equipment from the distance, but you see one of the duos has a polearm of some sort, while his partner has a shield sitting next to him.

Are we going to kill them all tonight, or just cripple them for later?
I have half a mind just to ride by the camp, throw a grenade or two at the horses so they cant move their cargo, then ride away laughing.

Regardless, We need an immediate plan. hm

HAve some of your men take out the sentries with bows, throw flaming oil at the tents, try to pick off anyone coming out. At least after the sentries, no one should be in much armor.

We don't have any oil with us, but we do have the grenades.

How do the grenades work? Can we tie one to an arrow and shoot it?

What are Havas?

I'll probably miss this kickstarter. Would I be able to buy either a hard copy or pdf once this is all funded?

They're fulfilling through DTRPG, so you'll be able to just order a print-on-demand copy and/or PDF from there.

Give each kal a grenade, including yourself. Bomb each of the two guard pairs, and the horses, simultaneously if you can.
Have the shulkas rush into the camp with the detonations as a cue, while regrouping with the Kals to identify and run down whoever is in command.

The grenades are a burdinadin trick. When you pull a metal pin from the cap of the grenade, flame is produced spontaneously from the cap, giving you about 3 seconds to throw it before explodes. Due to how the grenade is laid out, it'd weigh down the arrow terribly (+2 TN), and you'd have to pull the pin and fire immediately, were you to rig it to an arrow shaft.
Havas are a subspecies of the Devekushu bird, bred to be riding birds, think Chocobos from Final Fantasy. They are generally poor mounts, being smaller, less hardy, and having less stamina than a horse, but Nisperadan Kals (Kal Amar's guerrila cohort chiefly) like them in certain roles, being quiet, swift, and maneuverable mounts.

Awesome

Might we throw one grenade at each group of sentries, then one at each tent?

I feel like we'd get more use out of bombing the tents, then having the Kals move in on the guards. The Shulkas can move in to the camp to either help the Kals, or to round up any survivors from the tents.

If we kill the horses, we can't take the loot.

that's two votes for the "blow them all up" plan

Potentially. Between you, , and , it's seeming like we'll split the cadre, with the three Kals (yourself being included), bombing the tents and guards, then moving into clear the camp with the Shulkas. Do you want to stay mounted to do so, or dismount and creep closer to the camp, into optimal throwing range?

We need the speed from the mounts.
And I think giant chickens should disorient the enemy?

It's freaky Not!Spain, they're used to it.

Assuming they're not sleeping armored, they'll still be at a disadvantage if they hear us on the mounts, whereas we will armored and fast and chucking grenades.

Alright, so a mounted grenade flinging, then wheeling about to clear the camp. 3 Shulkas to a Kal, +1 to your own party. Sound right?

do it nigger

How necessary are the NPC cards? I might support the kickstarter to try it out but if they aren't important I'm not going for the higher tier.

In the absence of a full monster manual, the NPC army decks provide a quick reference, both to the fluff and the mechanics, of common "enemy" types.

>battle glasses barby

Very well. You give the orders, splitting up the grenades between yourself, Kal Shadi, and Kal Bahram. You will be leading the center, Shadi the left flank, and Bahram the right. The cadre forms up, and the charge begins. Give me two throwing rolls, ADR+MP, so 5+8. The first roll will be for the guard duo, and the second at a tent.

You can always just make your own NPCs.

Would you rather:

Have a bunch of cards to slap down as a baseline for your random NPCs

or

Make one NPC baseline and use it for all your random NPCs?

or even just stat out every single fuck ever

Utterly unnecessary

Rolled 1, 8, 10, 8, 3, 5, 6, 7, 9, 3, 9, 4, 6 = 79 (13d10)

It's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve

6 Successes, more than enough to land the whistling grenade between the two guards. Someone give me a second.

Rolled 2, 2, 7, 1, 2, 5, 4, 9, 8, 4, 5, 10, 10 = 69 (13d10)

lessdoit

Rolled 6, 10, 10, 5, 5, 9, 4, 9, 3, 8, 8, 10, 6, 2, 1, 5, 5, 6, 7, 2 = 121 (20d10)

Very nice. Here's Shadi's rolls.

Rolled 2, 6, 4, 1, 6, 8, 5, 6, 6, 1, 5, 8, 10, 4, 7, 10, 3, 10, 10, 2, 9 = 123 (21d10)

She misses her tent, deviating. Bahram's rolls, with the first die being Shadi's grenade miss.

Rolled 2 (1d10)

4 meters too close! Thankfully, that doesn't mean much. Bahram also misses a grenade toss, by 6 meters!

Thankfully we have more grenades.

Bahram is also too close! You'll have to lecture them on follow-through, if they make it through this.
In fact, you do not. You split yours between the three of you, two each, with each Kal having two targets.

The cadre wheels about, as the grenades detonate!

The night turns to day a split second, as elven magic goes to work! The watchmen at the front of the camp are reduced to pulp, and the tents are ripped apart. However, due to the shoddy throws of your compatriots, it is not the coup de grace you'd wished it was. As the lines of riders wheel about, some survivors struggle out of the tatters of fabric and flesh. Along with them, some fully armed and armored men come out of the center wagon. Why they were already armed is a mystery. Your squad is going down the center of camp, and you can either finish off some of the tent survivors, or engage the armed wagoneers before they engage the others.

Kill or incapacitate the survivors, otherwise some will get armed and add to our enemy's number.

Fair enough. What weapon shall you be engaging with?

In melee? The scimitar, let's use the scimitar and rondel dagger

Very well.

The cadre's 3 prongs finish their turn, and charge into the midst of the camp. You rip your scimitar from its scabbard, selecting a survivor to run down. In the moon's light, you can see the man, bloodied and ragged from the explosion, still had the presence of mind to throw on his morion, pick up his rodela, and draw his espada. These are professionals to the core. A second before you reach him, he realizes you've selected his neck for the chopping block!

You're charging into the bout, so you will have to declare red, and the footsman is declaring yellow. Give me maneuvers.

Ride By Attack, all dice

Gimme a target and attack type.

What's his state of armour, we know he's got a Rodela and Espada, but is he naked aside?

He has a loose tunic covering his shame, but yes, other than the helmet and shield, he has no real armor. The man was just trying to sleep, after all.

neck, swing

Gonna go with swing at the arm without the shield

I'll go with Upper Sword Arm as well.

Lower sword arm is better, it has more chances for disarm checks at lower levels

Too true, changing my choice

Lower Arm it is. I'll be imposing the -1 back arm TZM for this. Regardless, he will be going with a block attack, with 8 dice blocking the attack, and 4 dice swing at your lower right leg. So, 1 AC, and 12-1 at the lower sword arm. Someone, roll me 11 dice at TN 7.

Rolled 4, 6, 3, 7, 5, 7, 9, 5, 9, 8, 3 = 66 (11d10)

Rolled 4, 3, 5, 2, 9, 1, 9, 2, 9, 2, 4 = 50 (11d10)

Okay, 5 Successes, a formidable hit. His block.

Rolled 2, 7, 5, 1, 7, 4, 8, 5 = 39 (8d10)

Woops.

Rolled 3 (1d10)

2 BS hit. Rolling for location.

Hands off
Damn, not enough for Draw, we didn't DDC did we?

A solid swing. You feel bone break as the blade hits, cutting a deep bite into the man's sword hand as you ride by. He drops the sword with a scream. Roll me a Ride Check, with 12 dice.

Rolled 10, 2, 4, 9, 9, 10, 7, 1, 8, 9, 4, 7 = 80 (12d10)

Flawless.

Your shulkas follow behind you, screams signalling their effectiveness. Before you, the group of armored men have formed around the center wagon, polearms out to ward off the incoming Calvary. Shall you continue the charge?

Pull back, start shooting? How many are there?