Exalted General - /exg/

>What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned on them.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums. With the new edition, though, chances are more games will crop up.

Resources for Third Edition

>Final 3E Core Release
mega.nz/#!ctgxyJaC!ygkrLnFsrnBJzIUZY-dJsMfyFrhFQgDsQuuo52fcW0I
mediafire.com/download/q51qw8skdw1rg15/Exalted_3e_Core.pdf

>3E Backer Core (Old)
mega.nz/#!E1dRBBIa!ZbQG4IasYCJRli2bhgE2MOdWeFAeV3N1rqL9kAIGbNE

>Frequently updated Character Sheet with Formulas and Autofill docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pfjmZKzcUqAX9mB58IAEUIFkZr8rq4CvdRRM4kzwwgU/edit?usp=sharing
>General Homebrew dumping folder: drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByD2BL6J89NiQzdCWWFaY0c5Mkk&usp=sharing
>Collection of old 3e Materials, including comics and fiction anthologies mediafire.com/folder/t2arqtqtyyt28/Exalted_3Leak
>Charm Trees:
>Solar Charms: imgur.com/a/q6Vbc
>Martial Arts: imgur.com/a/mnQDe
>Evocations: imgur.com/a/TYKE4

Resources for 2.5 Edition:
>All books with embedded errata notes, as well as some extras: mediafire.com/folder/253ulzik1j9s5/Exalted
>Chargen software: anathema.github.io/
>Anathema homebrew charm files: mediafire.com/folder/pka3nz3vqbqda/Anathema_Files
>MA form weapon guide: brilliantdisaster.net/dif/ExaltedMA.html
>mediafire.com/view/ua7tanepy2jfkdp/Exalted_2nd_Ed_-_Return_of_the_Scarlet_Empress.pdf

Resources for 1e:
>mediafire.com/folder/9vp0e9id3by6m/Exalted_1e

What's the best Caste/Aspect of each exalt type and why?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=46xPrAMGS84
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

This image offends SJW writers.

Delete thread please.

Also! I posted last thread but it died a little after. I need art for a Lunar NPC, was thinking tiger totem but anything that would fit a female full moon Lunar is appreciated!

>Slut-shaming

Consider yourself excommunicated from Exalted. - Holden

So has anyone actually tried out Clutch of Dragons? I just started reading the charmsets the other day. What does everyone do for DB's in general?

Can you be more specific than "Tiger"?

Any caste that isn't the respective warrior caste because they're an instant red flag that a character is going to be no more interesting than "He's the best samurai in the whole world" or "He's a minotaur with an axe".

Now that I think about it, I do have a certain amount of difficulties coming up with good backstories and motivations for warrior types. What good backstories and motivations have you seen for them?

But what if I don't wanna play a social character or a smart character? That leaves either Night or Dawn.

Integrity supernal Zenith caste with a defining intimacy of "all people should adamantly uphold their principles".

Going to make this campaign very interesting.

Maybe not the best in the world (I mean, provably wrong as long as you're Essence 1 and the canon sues still exist, but "He's the best X he's ever met" is pretty much a requirement for any Solar fighter. Solars excel, and lethal combat leaves little room for meeting people who excel harder than you do.

That said, one- or no-armed dude with a grudge against Fire Immaculates sounds like a concept that needs little more in the way of further explanation.

Actually, that sounds sort of interesting. Presumably No Arms Warrior is a Brawl master since there's no Capoeira Martial Art in this setting, which is a MASSIVE oversight given how many slaves this setting has. Seriously, Snake Style assumes you have arms. You fucked up, setting, you fucked up.

Rather than accept life as a pitiful crippled person, Buki Nashi (thanks, google translate!) decided to train to an excessive level, because even if you wanted to get away from anime in this setting you're still playing a fucking Solar, you have to excel at something. Not sure at what point you add exaltation to that, but regardless, someone's getting kicked so hard they explode at the end of it.

Also, it's possible that Buki's anima banner involves lots of arms that join in with combat. The phrase ORAORAORAORA comes to mind.

Are there other Exalted streams than Exaltwitch?

Has anyone had any experience with using any homebrew/converted Sidereal Martial Arts in Ex3? is there any that you'd reommend?

>Exaltwitch
cancer
and no

Different user, haven't seen Exaltwitch. What's wrong with it?

>A warlord who plans on settling a feud with her dragon-blooded older brother by conquering their homeland and killing him in a duel to the death.
>A former slave soldier obsessed with the idea of purpose who wants to sever himself from the bitter karma of war.
>A martial philosopher who wants to find an art allowing a mortal to awaken Essence so he can teach it to his followers and create a nation of enlightened swordmasters.
>A bandit lord who's risen up from dirt-eating poverty and wants to plunder the vaults of Heaven.

Warlord that wants to unify war torn region (that is full of infighting)
Conqueror that wants to crush North and rule it
Wanderer that yearns for great deeds that will be told by poets and bards in millennia to come (Labours of Hercules)

vance seems good

>tfw no player will ever play this character in one of my games

Thanks, seeing you guys keeping the warrior/warlord concept puts me at ease with my former mob enforcer trying to go straight.

do an alligator snapper
swaying grass is gone?

Warrior that wants to set up a home for discontinued soldiers of all nations to live out the ends of their lives in relative peace.

air but all dbs are good anyway, zenith, changing/full moon, defiler/slayer/fiend, day, journeys/secrets.

I played

>Sociopathic Nexus mercenary general trying really, really hard to understand the whole "other people having actual worth and feelings and meaning and shit" thing, all while having a history of atrocities that would make Pol Pot blanch and a reputation to match

He kept saving cities and slaying monsters and winning battles and then having people go "wait, you're... HIM?". It was completely bloody brilliant. The circle's Night ended up being his moral center and he semi-adopted the teenage Eclipse, since being a big ol' fag himself he had none of his own.

Mob enforcer gone straight sounds fine. In general, a good backstory doesn't have to be an unusual backstory. A warrior being a warrior is fine, the main thing is to have the character be more than his role.

So I saw this pic related and wondered, would it be possible to do kamen rider style armor and powers in exalted?

Yeah! I pretty much took only Evocations for my (somewhat overpowered, Artifact 5) armor and gave myself a Henshin.

Depends on the Kamen Rider

Could be something like if you have an intimacy of Justice or are executing justice on behalf of someone, you get a bonus to damage (and a small scenelong boost to damage each time it's used to some maximum [Essence]). Another one could be getting bonus soak against the unjust, villainous, or monster-of-the-week

Currently in a DB game using it, seems good so far.

What part of the Kamen Rider style are you referring to?

If you want to punch monsters for the sake of justice, you can do that with pretty much any character type, especially a Solar warrior or a Dragon-Blooded monk.

If you want to punch monsters with powers that came from the same evil force that created the monsters, then you can do that as an Abyssal or Infernal Exalted easily. Probably Infernal; the Abyssals are cursed and will have to endure a lot of hardships if they fight against the forces of Oblivion, but Infernals are pretty much designed so that they can go rogue with minimal consequences.

If you mean punching monsters as an armored bugman, that should be easy to do with artifacts or a Deadly Beastman Transformation.

If you mean punching monsters in several different forms that can be swapped and combined, then that seems to be a thing that Infernals do with Shintai charms.

After a lengthy discussion here some months ago, I played an infernal from a DB Great House.

Both parent were DB. She had a twin sister with which she shared everything when they grew up. She always was the most well behaved of both, always working hard at martial arts and occult lessons, while her twin sister never amounted to anything... until one day, her twin exalted as a terrestrial. And the following years, she didn't.

Neither the years that followed it. Neither all the years after.

In three years she went from being the family's pet to an embarrassment, while her twin came back with awesome powers. With each passing year she smiled, said that she would do everything her family told her, follow her arranged marriage to some second rate mortal Dynast, and died a little inside.

Her parents weren't even that pitiful about it, and her twin was still behaving like a friend each time she came back with incredible tales, but she had failed at life. Again and again, every day she saw her failure in everything, and nothing more than her own face.

At 40, when she saw what she had become in the mirror, and her twin visited, looking not older than 20, she decided to kill her. She put the strongest poison she knew into her sister's tea... thoughts of dying tomorrow when she would be discovered tracing in her mind. For her, it was worth it. At least she would do something, even if it is only killing and be killed in return.

Her sister didn't even feel the poison. She had some bad dreams and a bout of fever, and came back as good as ever in the morning.

That's when TED found her. He didn't need to do a lot of convincing.

youtube.com/watch?v=46xPrAMGS84

talking about Exalted, 3e, tRPGs in general, and their experiences with 3e so far

I like it

What anime are good examples of Exalted games? Kill la Kill feels like it could actually be set in Creation it fits so perfectly.

It's not strictly anime, but Thunderbolt Fantasy is what made me want to play Exalted

avatar had a huge influence on how I picture dragonbloods(fire nation mostly) and aang's bullshit felt like a heavily watered down solar of the party, sokka was their token heroic mortal(like they had averaged the powerlevels a bit so the gap didn't ruin the story of a cross-splat circle)

training for hidden horse style

(You)
speaking of avatar...the end sucked ass. Firenation was just "Cartoon evil nazis" with no greater motivation to make the avatar's circle unambiguously the good guys, zuko never actually stopped being a little bitch but happened to flop on the hero's side at the end which was bizarrely treated like the completion of a character growth arc, and zuko's sister just got fucked with for no reason. the whole "i go crazy asdoasdfophldslhd!" thing just felt like a disservice to her character and the writing up to that point....all of which of course only contributed to it feeling like a game of exalted. it even had the random unaddressed plot hooks like zuko's mom and that part where the circle just dicks around for awhile when they were looking for the flying yack. also toph's 'suddenly wwe' backstory felt exactly like when you add a player partway through. she even has a blindness flaw to gain bp. and the owl's library episode felt like something my circle would have done.

which makes legend of korra an 'exalted shards' game

>zuko's sister just got fucked with for no reason

Ok this one is just wrong though. She was a massive daddy's girl who got 'promoted' to regency 2 seconds before the post was rendered a powerless figurehead position and the only two friends she's ever had stabbed her in the back

What if it was the other two instead?

Honest question, I'm new to Exalted general. Who is who on the Exalted dev team? Which ones suck and which ones don't? Just the general popular opinion and why, I keep hearing people talk shit about Holden, but what did he do exactly?

>The rumor I heard is that Holden and Morke are choosing to step down as lead devs. 3E will continue, probably with Minton and Vance in charge.

>I mean I could be dead wrong but it sounds like what is going to be announced over the next few weeks.

u wot m8

Holden is best known for being incapable of conducting himself in a public forum. Holden's name would not be the punchline it is to the Exalted playerbase now had he just kept his mouth shut.

Remember that time he said why he wouldn't give XP based alternative chargen? The amount of contempt for his audience is unreal.

What exactly are the requirements in 3e for building artifacts?

I know that magitech has a specific skill, and requires Craft(artifacts) to get, but what do I build artifacts out of? Anything? Do I need magical materials? If I make artifact boots, do I roll craft-leather or craft-artifacts?

Is there a guide for this? I don't think the rulebook covered it very well.

exalted art is so ridiculous, especially if holden and onyx path wanted to be sjw

To be fair, that particular piece was buried and forgotten AFTER they printed and published it

And the reason everyone remembers that is a perfect example of why Holden's name is the punchline it is now. If he had just said that the dev team didn't have any plans for alternative chargen systems at the moment, no one would've cared. People would've been disappointed for a little while, but in the same way that people are disappointed whenever a bad design decision gets left in a game for seemingly no reason other than legacy. This is disappointing, but not unexpected.

Instead, Holden said "We have a policy of not giving people bad rules they think they want." It's that kind of foot-in-mouth incident that makes people remember Holden.

You need magical materials, the 5 main MM are discussed from page 612. Exotic materials are also needed at your STs discretion (frozen flame, behemoth both, captured love of a Raksha noble, anything that would fit in in a high fantasy story). You're never told how much MM you need, because that's irrelevant, you could have a pure Orichalcum Daiklave take up less material than a Grand Grimcleaver due to the shape and composition of the latter. Jade is easy to get your hands on, it's used as currency in the Realm, so just dip into your Resources merit. Orichalcum can be made from gold if you can concentrate enough sunlight onto a forge that is heated by lava or magma, Soulsteel is steel + souls. Moonsilver and Starmetal are harder to come by, the latter moreso.

Making Artefacts, will require a roll of (Attribute + [Lower of Craft (Artifact) or the highest-rated most appropriate mundane Craft skill she possesses]). So if you've (Artefacts) 5 and (Leather) 1, you use Leather, so I hope you picked the broadest craft skills you can think of.

Remember, the ST decides what Attribute you roll as well, so he can just fuck you over by picking your lowest one. This is your cu to kick him in the nuts. He likely won't though, because the Craft rules are shit and chances are he'll replace it with homebrew or put you in charge of remembering how craft works.

Sales have collapsed. As in nobody who didn't Kickstart it is buying it because the reviews were brutal. It got eviscerated even on rpg.net, which is usually super gentle with mods' games.

>When the GM introduces your lunar mate into the story explicitly against your wishes
>As a plot central NPC

I don't know if the Red Rule was intended to be so broad, but I find myself starting a lot of sentences with "no my character actually doesn't feel that way".

> It got eviscerated even on rpg.net, which is usually super gentle with mods' games.

I don't any reviews for it on RPG.net

I don't tell you how to play your character, you do not tell me how I GM.

Now pick up those dice and roll to if you cry and if so, how hard.

I mean the forums. Nobody's bothered to review it, which is another problem.

>Implying I'm not integrity supernal and that I'm not going to make my next defining intimacy 'utter indifference to disgusting animal woman'

I'm going to wander the setting converting as many people as I possibly can to this philosophy.

People are going to consider having an opinion on this woman and they're going to feel a warm and reassuring presence telling them 'nah'.

oh boi

I've introduced a lunar mate to my player as an out of the blue surprise but I left it up to the player how to react. You know, like a sane DM.

I do not hear or see the dice.

Now start rolling before I do it for you.

>integrity supernal

I autosucceed my check not to cry. In fact the Loom of Fate has been snarled by my refusal to cry, sending waves of indifference across time and space. My heart becomes the new Elemental Pole of Earth, drastically changing Creation's meteorology and ushering in extinction level famines across every Direction.

Ok.

But how do I get the recipe for orichalcum? I don't recall seeing any 'make magical materials' charms outside of creating stuff out of nothing with wyld-shaping.

Making it is a lost art, you'd have to get some preexisting materials from somewhere (or rediscover it. You're a fucking Twilight)

It would be more accurate to say that, while he did leave the reaction to my discretion, he thought ahead far enough to make her too strong for me to kill at our current level.

"Getting the recipe" would probably be a thing you can dedicate a whole story to. Whether it's excavating First Age ruins, negotiating with an ancient god, uncovering infernal secrets, etc.

>When you just wanted to be Sam Vimes but accidentally became the Star Child

Fucking Integrity

Well it sucks he didn't manage to get you invested in it in a manner other than wanting to kill the npc out of petulance. That wasn't intended to be a knock against you or the DM, I just didn't have a better wording. It doesn't sound like he did anything inherently wrong, you just didn't find the hook attractive. Obviously I wasn't actually there and don't have the whole story.

That's blatantly untrue. 3E has gone platinum multiple times on drivethru, and it doesn't count KS sales. It was also the top seller during the GM's day sale. It's still in the top 10 seller's list.

Back up your statements please.

Excuse me, but look where the fuck you are.

We don't need facts to back up our statements here. If we did, boards like /pol/ would vanish overnight.

Further, the game seems to be generally well received on rpg.net, as well as a lot of other communities. Are you sure you're not confusing this with Beast or something?

You want someone to play a retarded short-tempered brown tomboy with a flamethrower fist?

Well, smug anime girl images are perfectly good substitutes for actual proof.

But seriously, even I'm surprised at how well the game is selling. If nothing else it's selling better than anything else OPP is putting out.

It's more likely he's confusing his imagination with the real world.

....yes

I don't even know what that character is but that sounds fun. I love retarded characters with hot blood.

>If nothing else it's selling better than anything else OPP is putting out.

Then Exalted is doomed.

Paradox hates Exalted, and to see that it's doing better than it's precious WoD series will make me wonder if they'll can it.

Paradox has no interest in Exalted one way or another, and they will make their own WoD line.

Exactly why they'll can it. It's because they have no interest in it that they won't hesitate to kill the line in order to refocus efforts on Dracula's One True Vision of WoD

Considering they make licensing money off Exalted, I'd be deeply shocked if they decided to kill a game that was making them a bunch of free money out of spite. They're a company, making money is what they do.

Bullet from BlazBlue

But "Dracula's One True Vision of WoD" has next to nothing to do with OPP. It won't be somehting published by OPP. Why the hell would Exalted's popularity compared to other OPP products be relevant? How would canning Exalted help anyine refocus on the New Old Classic Paradox World of Darkness, whatever the hell it should be called?

>drivethrurpg is the primary source for rpgs
whew lad

>the game seems to be generally well received on rpg.net
whew lad

>Paradox hates Exalted
The impression I got is they hate Exalted's players, not the game itself.

Paradox, notably, doesn't seem to operate on a pure margin basis. As they're a Swedish-listed company they actually don't have the same responsibility to stockholders that US-listed companies are under the impression they do.

I still want a CK2 style game set in the Realm

Drivethru is where almost all of OPP's sales come from, and while I agree that rpg.net is shit, the other guy was the one who brought up the claim that they hated it.

what'd he say?

"We won't give people bad rules just because they want them"

is the gnome making her, summoning her, or rendering her for materials?

I know drivethru is where almost all of OPP's sales come from.

But it does far less volume than even frpgames.com, let alone Amazon.

Trying to use drivethru to gauge anything is like comparing the water level in two different sized glasses. The results will be distorted.

Let this be a reminder to everyone that Holden is a gas station clerk in real life.

The point is that even when we just compare OPP's products, which *is* much more reliant on drivethru, it is still outselling anything else they put out.

I don't buy the narrative that Exalted is failing, given that if that were true then everything OPP does is failing. At the very least, there's no evidence that it's not selling along with ample evidence that it is.

However, considering that the original claim was that "nobody who didn't Kickstart it is buying it because the reviews were brutal", figures from drivethru are pretty damn relevant as they show that the user making that claim was full of shit. That there are other, bigger marketplaces for RPGs doesn't matter, that people buy Ex3 in the place where OPP primarily does its business is what matters.

>made from gold

doesn't it have to be special extra pure gold and dragonbloods control and guard mines that produce it?

>everything OPP does is failing
Are you asserting this isn't true? OPP is literally a parasite struggling to survive off the corpse of White Wolf.

I haven't seen any "brutal review" either beyond shitposts on Sufficient Velocity either

Honestly that's not a bad answer if he's actually right and was able to prove it. From where I'm standing there's no real reason for it though and he's just talking out of his ass. Maybe it's intended that characters start off as idiot savants with one thing they're supernaturally amazing at and then slowly picking up entry dots in other skills with Solar XP while using all your normal XP on Supernal charms? That sounds retarded.

Given their deluxe Kickstarters still pull in about six figures on average, I'd assert that there is still clearly a demand for their products.

OPP is actually putting out products people want and like. How the hell is this being a parasite?