EDH/Commander General

Speed Metal edition

Last time on /edh/: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Do you have any decks that are meant to go balls-out FAST?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-10-16-tap-that-ass/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lyin-lion/
youtu.be/HVKZoBX8L6g
youtube.com/watch?v=mKV3GC0RERs
youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7Aif5aXlQ
youtube.com/watch?v=3I12E-vkXek
youtube.com/watch?v=vSjLEJbsHrI
m.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3ENRaEPFU
youtube.com/watch?v=vkOJ9uNj9EY
youtube.com/watch?v=vFwYJYl5GUQ
youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1WpCEeBaI
youtube.com/watch?v=9nNF9aQ_BhE
youtube.com/watch?v=f_gTAJrH0p0
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for spicy secret tech

>Do you have any decks that are meant to go balls-out FAST?
I always consider this, but given my playgroup/meta it would be a bad idea. I'm already the dude to beat, I'd rather have fun than fire off super quick. Especially since the playgroup is all family. They're pretty mature about games not bruising their feelings, but ig I went for real tear-drinking "you all die" fast decks we probably wouldn't play Magic anymore.

What ways are there in UR to protect my commander and maybe give it haste that don't give it shroud?

Niv-Mizzet Firemind does not mind holding a Basilisk Collar so shroud stuff like Clout of Dominus is usually out because I want to be able to play protection ASAP and sometimes I don't see the deathtouch equipment early

I have

Lightning Greaves
Swiftfoot Boots
Darksteel Plate
artifact tutors to get the above equipment
a fair amount of cantrips, cycling and library manipulation bcuz blue

oops, I forgot to answer the thread question
no

Anyone ever play pic related? Was it worth it? Someone on leddit mentioned how butthurt people got over it, and I do enjoy a good instakill/fog split card.

Secondary question, any suggestions to dick over my buddy's Rashmi control deck with like 20 counterspells and infinite mana ramp? I was thinking of returning to my Sydri control deck, but wondered if there was a different/better way.

Motherfucking Zada. She can go NUCLEAR.

>plays Niv-Mizzet combo
>"no none of my decks kill fast"

Something seems amiss here...

Tainted strike is baller

And build creatureless counterspells and draw talrand to dick your buddy

>thread question
It really depends on how FAST is defined. I have Ghave infinite combos that can end the game fast, but my most Sanic deck is probably Skittles, as the deck has been able to kill on 2nd turn multiple times. Needs a god hand though.

Xenagos Ramp
Gets really nasty with Rapacious One and Mosswort Bridge
>Why can't I hold all these Ulamogs?

Yes. I used it once on a friend's buffed-to-fuck Zurgo Bellstriker to kill a Memnarch player and hoo boy, if seething rage was on the visible spectrum, that guy would have been saturated with it.

It was a nut draw and far from astounding but I closed out a 4 man game by turn 5 with a R/W commander.

A staple in Marchesa

"Fast" is a relative term with my group, but this guy can get going unreasonably quickly. Ghave can also shit out tokens at horrifying speed.

>assuming I play cards that actually win the game
it's all mana rocks, card draw, deathtouch for niv-mizzet, counterspells and mindslaver lock eventually.

Fast decks?

Yeah, pretty much. I don't have all of the best mana accelerators yet, but she can go from "a treasonous ogre" to "you're all fucking dead" at the drop of a hat.

Building Ghave as tokens instead of combo feels like forcing a gourmet chef work at McDonald's.

OK that's respectable. A guy at my college plays Niv and he's both an obnoxious douche and plays full hands-on-dick combo.

My group would fucking despise me if I ran it full of infinite stuff. I have things like Geralf's Messenger/Ashnod's and the classic Mike'n'Trike for infinite, but that's it. I usually just swarm with a busload of Saprolings.

I'm also retarded and can't figure out the Boonweaver combo

Fast tits

Buildng Boros Hyper-Damage. What are the best or most effective damage doubling cards in red and lifelink cards in white?

boonweaver ETB
equip pattern of rebirth
sac boonweaver, get karmic guide
reanimate boonweaver, equip pattern of rebirth, sac and get revi
revi reanimate karmic guide, which reanimate boonweaver
sac everything, get blood artist
revi returns karmic guide, return boonweaver
sac boonweaver again, get something like saffi
loop saffi and revi/karmic guide and drain with blood artist or ETB/dies trigger of your choice.

I'm not a fan of infinite combos that auto win the game. I have 0 cards like curiosity because IMHO, they're unfun. If someone executes an infinite win combo, I move onto another game. I want to actually play a game where we interact and my opponent has a chance to kill me. Niv, 4 polymorphs and a couple board wipes are my only real interaction other than counterspells.

Unfortunately, when I play with randoms they target me really hard because they think I'm going to curiosity them to death. I'm not. Just going to ping every creature to death and eventually mindslaver/emrakul them and make it so pinging them every turn is BG because dying super slowly isn't GG :)

This is good for one-shot commander damage kills.

Which thread would be the appropriate one to ask about a casual/flavor/funtimes deck that isn't EDH and uses regular build rules but doesn't aim to be competitive?

If I want to just attack with large creatures, is Atarka World Render dragons or Xenagos monsters better?

Casual but not low-powered. No budget.

Xenagos gives you more freedom to play other creatures, and his ability is dope.

what must includes are there for GR Xenagos 10+ power tribal?

You want to include chandra's ignition, true conviction, brightflame, manabarbs

Chaos. Run Choas Lord and Warp world, Scrambleverse, Goblin Game, Confusion in the ranks, Possibility Storm, game of chaos, grip of chaos, planar chaos, Thieve's auction, etc.

Mine actually is a Confusion in the Ranks deck, I'm just wondering where I should go to get build advice on it. It's hilarious when it gets going but it gets there too slowly for now.

Well I'm not really sure about building a Mogis deck because I've never done it, but there are plenty of fun things you can do in mono black that are augmented by red. For example:

> play hellcarver demon
> play insidious dreams/doomsday
> stack World at War, gratuitous violence, final fortune, other big fat fatties on top
> win the game

I also recommend demonic consultation, it's great.

Apocalypse Hydra for sure, I'd suggest all the really bad Eldrazi, all the artifact collosi, along with stuff that doubles damage and gives double strike. I'd want to be able to deal 40+ in a single combat.

Why is EDH the best format?

You don't need speed when your opponents can't play cards ;)

Few card limitations, huge variation with decks being singleton, fun to build thanks to the mechanic of generals, conceived as a multiplayer format, which is leagues more enjoyable than 1v1

You don't need saffi. She's usually just backup. Reveillark and Karmic Guide go infinite by themselves with a sac outlet.
So
Boonweaver ETB -> search Pattern (or Gift of Immortality if you have means to win with it, like sac outlet, Altar of Dementia or something, or generate infinite mana, or just have something that does something with death- or etb-triggers) and sac the fucker
>process is the same as other poster but you only need Guide and Reveillark along with something that benefits from it.
>search for Gift and proceed to drain life or whatever you do.

Just need to keep in mind that unless you have Blood Artist or other wincon on field, you need to fetch Guide and Reveillark to get a wincon, after that you can use Gift. Saffi is really good but it's redundant in this combo, but as stated earlier, it's a emergency switch if someone decides to kill one of your guys in middle of the combo. Usually Boonweaver is killed before his ETB can resolve so there's that.

Throw in A bunch of mana dorks and rocks. Rust Myr is nice plus possibility storm let's you play low cost stud for zany effects. If your group allows it get Strategy Schmategy, the card is fucking amazing.

>no wincon lol so random xD
Fuck off

Avatar of Slaughter, inferno Titan, Thundermaw hellkite, Hostility, etc. Play big nasty red dudes with damage doublets for maximum carnage and chaos.

A format that has access to most of the cards all throughout Magic's history, plenty of interaction and fun plays due to being geared towards a multiplayer format, allows creative or competitive deck building as well

What are the best "do you really dare to attack me when I have mana up" combat tricks?

Mirror Strike, Reflect Damage for maximum salt against Blightsteel users.

No, you.

Suggest me a commander that can be built well for under 150$ including manabase. I already have breya, sigarda, krenko, colfenor, sygg RG, olivia OG, Ezuri CoP, Sidisi, brood tyrant and ghave.

I want to build a new one and cant decide, help me /edhg/

how many players do you usually play with?

>fat
>not a real creature
>does nothing on its own
>only gets worse with a bigger board
>bad against all colors

give one good reason why he isn't better as a 99 in boros or norin

3-4

>make zurgo
>game one is over in 10'minutes because of cards like aggravated assault, seize the day, temur battle rage, uncaged fury and grappling hook
>game 2 takes longer, but I keep casting board wipe after board wipe until I can drop zurgo and slam until I win

Good god. I'm really proud of myself for not playing a lot of EDH staples too. I mean, I have the guild lands (Boros garrison) and signets, as well as mardu banner and the mardu land. But in 3 colors that's manafixing and not "staples".

I also don't consider Wrath or Blasphemous acts to be "playing the staples " either because it's part of the plan. I have 6 or more other board wipes in the deck.

Anyway, I came to post : what do you guys think or Kusari gama for Zurgo?

You've never seen a good Purph deck in action, have you?

try OG Selvala untap shenanigans. I haven't updated it for awhile, but add paradox engine.
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/01-10-16-tap-that-ass/

It was conceived as a Viashino tribal deck with a light equipment theme, calling back to the Mana Rig guys. The basic notion is use Confusion to swap the Viashino for their guys, then the Viashino return to my hand, rinse and repeat. Current list looks like this:

•Larceny Lizards•

Claws of Gix x2
Lightning Bolt x4
Skullclamp x2
Spark Elemental x4
Viashino Sandscout x4
Lightning Greaves x1
Viashino Sandstalker x3
Seething Song x4
Grafted Wargear x2
Whispersilk Cloak x1
Viashino Cutthroad x4
Zirilan of the Claw x2
Confusion in the Ranks x3
Conjurer’s Closet x2
Dragon Mage x1
Dragon Tyrant x1
Mountain x22

The closets are definitely going to go, probably the Mage too, the Cloak is just there until I can find another set of Greaves. Considering swapping Sparky for Hellspark Elemental for its superior synergy with Confusion. Want to get some card filtering, maybe Faithless Looting or Wild Guess? Claw is there to sac things I don't want stolen, get rid of Confusion when its served its purpose, pop things for Skullclamp procs, et cetera. Currently need a way to deal with the blocker issue, maybe Goblin War Drums. Zirilan is a wincon, dropping a fat Dragon Tyrant for a quick massive swing using the Graves. Hivis is on sideboard such as it is.

>>only gets worse with a bigger board
In what way?

So I'm building Tasigur. I don't wanna be a completely degenerate so I was just gonna build a deck around casual milling and various goodstuff. Anything you'd all recommend?

I just built three budget decks: Mogis (~$40), Patron of the Moon (~$70), and Emrakul (~$100).

Are you lost, friend?

Yeah, like I said in my first post, I'm trying to figure out what thread I should be posting this in. One user was throwing out general suggestions so I figured I'd just go ahead and type it up. I apologize for doing this in the wrong thread but I'm not exactly sure where it goes. This thing sure as heck isn't Standard or Modern material.

>10 decks
>want an 11th
>low budget

It's time to stop

>>does nothing on its own
So I guess Leovold, Yidris, Animar, Arcum, Brago, Karador, and Yisan are shit then?

>only 8 board wipes
you are like a little baby

Zurgo, Helmsmasher
Zada, Hedron grinder
Kruphix, God of Horizons (the first iteration I built was fairly cheap. It was once I started getting cards like cryptic command that it started to get expensive. All the X spells are fucking C H E A P)

It's all I have ese. I literally built it off of what I had at home and then I hit up a friends trade binder. I'm hoping it's fun enough that I don't really need to upgrade it anymore.

What should I drop from this to bring my average CMC down? 3.8 is a bit much I feel, and I'd like to bring it to like 3.5 if I could

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/lyin-lion/

exactly my point

meet toxic deluge my good friend

Reya Dawnbringer is wicked expensive, easily removed, only starts giving value on the next turn, her job is done by Emeria, the Sky Ruin, and you don't seem to have a way to cheat her out so you'll only see her maybe once every five games. I love Reya, but I only play her in my angel tribal decks where she can be cheated and recurred with ease.
I'd just replace her with Darksteel Plate or something so you can save an important creature from the wrath of Mageta.
Or just normal Wrath of God because why isn't that in there

Its an addiction.

Mana echoes is a beautiful card

I run a thopter tribal deck, so a bunch of my stuff just becomes broken rituals

Not him but deckbuilding and pub stomping are the only two aspects of this awful format I enjoy?

How so? I feel like most of the time I would rather have a cheap counterspell. It's more versatile and accomplishes the same effect of saving a guy that doesn't already have a counter.

Undying can recur a sac effect, yes? Counterspells can't.
Works with on-death, works with things that want counters on them.

Saves you from up to two removal spells (reanimate through Undying then reanimate through Marchesa)
Gives you 1-2 extra Grave Pact/sac outlet/ETB effects
Unlike a counterspell, can be used and let a board wipe resolve to wreck everyone else but keep your own board state
Counterspells won't be unconditional at that CMC

It's not perfect since it needs a sac outlet to protect from exile/bounce/gain control but it's still very good

GW Selvala is a deck that she is cast on turn 2, taps on t3 netting 7+ mana and either comboing out, locking the board or starting to make big threats depending on the deck.

Commander Theme Song?
youtu.be/HVKZoBX8L6g

I'll let you guess.

youtube.com/watch?v=mKV3GC0RERs

Hanna?

Kalemne?

Saffi.

Casual, proliferates EVERYTHING but has a heavy Energy component.

youtube.com/watch?v=IZ7Aif5aXlQ

Bingo

Karametra or the Red white precon giant

Rains chaos upon the table and has explosive turns

youtube.com/watch?v=3I12E-vkXek

drain and pain

youtube.com/watch?v=vSjLEJbsHrI

m.youtube.com/watch?v=GX3ENRaEPFU

There's not really a thread for kitchen table stuff. Not one that's around often, at least. You can sometimes catch the "Casual Magic General", that'd be the ideal place for this.

youtube.com/watch?v=vkOJ9uNj9EY

I've considered making a "Casual/Kitchen Table General". I would imagine there probably won't be enough traffic for a regular thread though. I'll try putting one up every weekend maybe and see how it goes.

It's been made before, rarely goes anywhere.

youtube.com/watch?v=vFwYJYl5GUQ

Thanks for ruining the thread, again.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gz1WpCEeBaI

youtube.com/watch?v=9nNF9aQ_BhE

I'm in the process of building an Athreos deck right now.
Got any spicy tech?

Shut up, fuckface.

>Commander theme songs
>cringy metal songs that make obvious puns on the commander or deck theme

Get taste.

youtube.com/watch?v=f_gTAJrH0p0

Kill yourself faggot.

just the usual sanguine blood + exquisite blood + tutors out the ass

Would this decklist benefit from Vendilion clique at all?