What's the most you've seen a game get derailed and how has the GM reacted to it?

What's the most you've seen a game get derailed and how has the GM reacted to it?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=N8b3963VRW4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

First, we found out who the main antagonist is. Then, we accidentally found his lair. We did both much, much earlier than DM thought we would - we didn't have any magic items for fighting him, any allies with us AND we were severely underleveled.
We all died.

we derailed it so hard we never even got to start the actual module that the Dm intended to use.

We were playing with mixed team - three of usual guys, including me, and two randoms picked from ad. Turns out they were so fucking inept they've started extorting the NPC handling us the quest and it quickly turned into a situation when they've dragged rest of the party into a massive combat with entire monastery and the service village around it. All because the NPC didn't gave them few coins more.

It was somewhere around 7th round of combat when the GM, already tired and clearly pissed, get up, went to the kitchen, made himself a vodka tonic, dashed it and then made himself another, going for a smoke. He didn't said a word until he had 3rd drink.
It was all an introductionary quest, where we were simply supposed to find bandits stealing grain from the local granary and deal with them one way or another, and only from there get to the real meat and bones of the campaign. Instead, we didn't even left the very first location the game started in.

Was GMing an IKRPG game with the party as pirates. The captain got himself cursed with extreme hunger by picking up and obviously cursed crown. Shortly after they capture a boat and kill all the crew. To avoid going through the parties main food supply too quickly the cursed character announces he will eat the dead crew.

It took best part of an hour to get the game back on track after it was pointed out that he was going to be spending the next week eating his own body weight in seamen...

One guy makes a character who can't seem to cooperate with the rest of the party. Arguments over what to do start to lead to out-of-character strife. Refusing to budge on a particular issue, even though everybody else is unified, that guy has his character leave the party and makes up a new character. That new character has the exact same problem with the exact same issue and also refuses to budge. That character ends up leaving the party as well. So he makes up a third character. This character doesn't argue with people, but rather ignores the group consensus, and nearly gets everybody killed by not following the plan (the party was planning an ambush and he just walked out and started shooting). We finish the battle, but at this point, everybody's bent out of shape with everybody else, so the game ends up falling apart one session in (and having accomplished maybe a third of a sessions worth of shit).

...god damnit

>New GM for our Dark Heresy game that'd been going on for months
>He's brought a laptop, notes, handouts etc
>Find ourselves crashing on to a chaos world with no help from the wider Imperium owing to a warp storm
>Manage to loot some guns from the ship before it crashes
>Pick a fuck off missile launcher and sling it over my back
Groovy.png
>Sneak around a bit and kill some patrols - no problem
>Suddenly the GM puts us in a wide valley that has various hab blocks full of what appears to be cultists milling around them
>Feels like that bit in lotr where the easterlings are marching through the gate
>Produce my missile launcher
>Aim the tube at the hab block and the GM gives me a -40 to hit it from the distance and advises not to
>Rest of the party are egging me on and laughing
>Shoot that bitch straight into the blocks causing an explosion that chain reacts killing most of the heretics whilst shouting "for the emperor"
>GM looks at laptop and closes it, apparently he'd planned for all kinds of stealthy shit and I had fucked it up at the first stealthy hurdle
>Characters are captured and beaten the shit out of and prepared for sacrifice
>Worth it

youtube.com/watch?v=N8b3963VRW4

Did it work out though?

Old man Henderson is one of the biggest ones I've ever heard of.

personally? I was the cause of death for what was supposed to be a badass reoccurring antagonist that would challenge the party in a few key places. I ended up using rage in combination with a sneak attack to deal more than half of his HP in damage on the first round and he failed his fort save to not die.

Rogue dorf crossbowed the main quest giver between the eyes. Before that we had a paladin dig up graves while the others were exploring a tomb, when he finally stepped in he was instantly killed. We buried him in the grave he was digging up. Basically for the whole campaign everyone had a lot of great and shit rolls at all the wrong times and everyone got off the track all the time. The DM just ran with it and let us fuck around.

>Rounded up and put in a cell by carapace armoured troops
>Put into cages in an underground bunker and told to wait whilst they called the boss
>Bossman comes along and it's the guy we were sent to kill originally!
(At this point my character is just a pile of cuts and bruises from the beatings)
>BBEG beats me too
>Take it like the ex-guardsman (based on Snake Plisken) I am
>Suddenly pyskers shoot melta beams at the BBEG
>GM did not expect this as he thought we wouldn't dare chance it
>U fkin wot
>Actually do kill the BBEG in no time and the GM had to whack in some plot armour to keep the last remaining scrap of his plot alive

Truly the greatest band the inquisition has had. By the end of our campaigns I was nothing more than a burnt torso with double powerfists, a big cigar and an uncanny ability to rolling next to nothing on insanity and corruption (have you ever lit a lho off the warp gate that you've just drop kicked a deamon into and received 0 corruption?)

I was in a Blue Planet game where everyone showed up with Dolphin or Orca PCs, most of which were artists of some sort. We decided to be the first all Fin boy band with the Orca as our bodyguard/manager. The band's name was Fin-tabulous. To the GM's credit he rolled with it and we rocked out on both Posieden and Earth.

10/10

The GM did an excellent job with it considering we totally blindsided him with it. For instance, my PC Pudgy, was the lead singer for human audiences while another PC, Slick was the lead for cetacean audiences. The other two Fins, Bic and Back were dancers/back-up singers. The Orca, called Boss, handled the business side of things and was a bouncer.

We even ended up having a Yoko Ono expy, an aquaform human chick that Bic started a relationship with. She nearly broke up the band before Boss, in a fit of brilliance got her a separate contract and arranged for her tours to keep her away from us.

>sci fi combined universe one shot
Does it take place in space?then it's allowed. Group was 2 gray jedi, a sex obsessed commander shepherd, and me as Samus with mal and jayne from firefly as npcs.
Gm lost control. We were on a desert planet for an hour and a half having a dick measuring contest and I morph ball'd toward the plot. Found a labyrinth. Found a boss fight with General grievous that lasted 1 round because I hammered it with ice misdiles.
Wandered around fighting xenomorphs.
Said "fuck it" when it devolved into another dick measuring contest between the jedi. Took over. Had us find the convergence core: mother brain infected by reaper tech in the core of a deathstar controlling an army of reaper infected xenomorphs.
Go big or go home.
It was stupid. It was ridiculous, it was fun. In the end shep hit mothe brain's weak spot for massive damage with his dick (d100 roll for number of inches, 76")
Explosive applause.
And that clusterfuck was the biggest derailment of my gaming career.

Sounds fun.

>tfw your players would never want to participate in anything this fun. Ever.

The GM was running some homebrew pseudo post-scifi-fantasy setting. The party were humans that died and woke up on some weird world where everything was some kind of robot that we could harvest chips from to do some kind of faux magic.

Anyways, the GM introduced the setting BBEG, someone that had arrived like us but earlier and had started to succumb to some sort of nightmarish robotification effect and was hinting that it would happen to us too. His scheme was to take over the world and put an end to this cybernightmare which would ultimately involve killing all the natives we'd been working with to survive up until now.

The problem is the GM made the natives annoying as fuck and we all immediately joined the BBEG on his quest. The game lasted one session after that before the whole campaign was scrapped because the GM didn't know what to do.

>tfw those are the only games you ever end up finding.

I want to play this now

>I was GMing for a small (2 man) group
>job was to sneak into a fort outside of a town and steal a magic item from the local adventurers
>basically "Rob Frodo and get that Ring back to the Bad Guy"
>party gets to the token guards watching bridge outside of town
>The guards were very plainly well armed, armored, and trained, as well as entrenched
>also bored and only wanting to do their job
>basically would have let the party in with non-answers so long as they didn't try to menace them
>Rogue immediately begins threatening the guards, insulting their town, and outright admitting he's there to fuck shit up for heinous reasons
>The party is surprised when they don't get let in
>Party leaps straight to Plan Murder
>Party fails to kill the Wizard, who teleports presumably back to town to get reinforcements
>Party stays, tries to make it look like the Wizard summoned a demon and attacked everyone
>Barbarian realizes the Rogue has lost his goddamn mind by this point, decides to surrender as 30-50 armored horsemen come riding down on them
>Rogue still tries to convince them the Wizard did it
>pulped to death by angry horsemen
>Barbarian gets arrested, sells out his boss, and ends up avoiding death in a gulag only because he gets drafted into a suicide mission
>whole adventure had to be scrapped at that point because no one still breathing wanted to carry it out

That rogue sounds like one of my players and it pisses me off

> I was gonna start GMing for some friends and a invited guy (4 in total).
> quickly doing his character sheet and talking shit.
> after that for some reason katanas were a subject of discussion.
> new guy proclaim his love for katanas as the superior sword.
> me and a friend got triggered.
> end up discussing for 3 hours about swords dividing the entire table.
> the discussion end in the pro-katanas having no argument other than "we like it more so its better and no mater what you say we are not going to state we lost the debate".

I regret nothing.

Honestly, at this point dropped-spaghetti stories are starting to cause flashbacks to that game.

>Getting this mad over someone saying that they like katana more.
You sure sound like a fun guy to be around.

>spending the next week eating his own body weight in seamen

Got the world destroyed, but managed to legalize gay marriage.

My GM expected us to be dungeon crawler players. Oh boy he was wrong. Now he's dealing with schemer players that split the party all the time outside of combat and do weird and unexpected things.

Oh I remember that post from a couple days ago I think?

My party was undergoing a quest for a semi evil duke to kill his semi good brother, the DM had quite clearly set it up so that we were supposed to turn on the duke once we learnt the truth, but as a true neutral cavalier I Game of Thrones'd the shit out of both of them and became Duke.

DM decides to run an 8 player campaign because "he's needs a challenge" no restrictions on class or alignment party has 2 LG, 1cg,1ng, 1tn, 1le(me),1ce and 1 chaotic stupid.
Long story short chaotic stupid witch becomes afflicted with curse that grants an addiction to reincarnating fallen foes. Slayer(me) antipaladin, and tn monk stand guard at night only to be hit with sleep spell from witch, reincarnates large green dragon as colossal mythril dragon (dm makes custom charts for reincarnation) half of party killed in their sleep witch uses ring of minor wish to teleport to a city on the other side of the continent,antipaladin wakes up takes basically a big red button given to us by our employers that's only supposed to be a last resort he hits the button is surrounded by a protective bubble while stil living party members,dragon and everything else in a mile radius is crushed to death by a massive downward force

my current campaign is pretty out of line. The DM originally wanted it to be a Conan the barbarian esque adventure. The problem occurs when two of our players are brand new, one of them is a genre savvy asshole, and I rolled my character an hour before the campaign started. And thus the genre savvy asshole lead us away from almost every encounter set up by the DM so far. What was supposed to be a pretty typical DnD experience turned into us taking over whore houses, becoming whores ourselves, accidentally summoning a river god waaaaay before we were supposed to, and gathering an army of hobo's to take down the snake people.

How does one dropkick with no legs and feet?