MTG Pauper General

Been awhile since we had one of these, I just got Temur/5C Tron even though Murasa Tron seems to be doing better atm. I had the former on my radar for some time anyway.

Someone redpill me on why Murasa is better? Also, you guys brewing anything? Anything inbound in the mail?

My Pauper gauntlet now comprises:
Mono U Delver
Mono G Stompy
Mono R Goblins
Mono B Control
Mono W Tokens
Bogles
Affinity
Burn
Elves
Turbo Reanimator
Temur Tron

Wanna add Kuldoth Boros, Slivers or UB Control to the collection next but the budget is getting a little tight.

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/do-atogs-dream-of-electric-thopters/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/438859#online
mtggoldfish.com/deck/407439#online
youtube.com/watch?v=vKVgWsakbxc
mtggoldfish.com/deck/405438#online
youtube.com/watch?v=fMno5zBjM70
mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

i also want pauper to be a thing.
but in truth it does strike me as welfare legacy.

Aw shiet pauper thread.

Posting my Affinity list - it's absolutely hilarious and already won two paper pauper FNMs despite the hate. Also wrecks mirror matchup hard.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/do-atogs-dream-of-electric-thopters/

Thinking of trying 2x Gearseeker Serpent instead of 1 Ornithopter, 1 Disciple of the Vault. Anyone done that?

>pauper is welfare legacy
That's not necessarily a bad thing desu. It has bigger card pool (at least technically) than modern and allows for more fun stuff - while letting actual control decks play the game.

I think now is one of the best times for the format. There is no disgusting combo now that the drake is banned and a healthy balance of aggro and control.

>Ornithopter
>Disciple
I like you user. Don't change this build.

I've been thinking of getting into pauper and starting with Boros. Is that a deck that should hold up for a while, and are there any good updates for that deck with Kaladesh? I feel like I should wait until a little while after MM17 so I can see if any changes there affect the deck and what I want to play, but I am interested in building for the format.

i have no proposed solutions on how to solve the problem but i do wish combo existed... playing combo is my favorite part of magic but i know that unbanning any of the storm cards wouldn't be healthy for pauper. blue decks need to get two untapped islands to stop you, black can run duress... but that's about it as far as effective combo disruption goes.

Disciples are baller - turns out 1 damage per dead artifact is a big deal when your entire deck is artifacts.

Ornithopters unfortunately are a dead draw sometimes but other times they feed atog, chump and, best of all, allow this to happen:
>Turn1 - Land, Thopter, Thopter, Springleaf drum, frogmite, myr enforcer
>tfw watching the opponents expression change from smug upon seeing thopter to pure terror
>Turn 2 Thoughtcast for instant scoop

Well combo technically exists, between Elves, Affinity's Fling Combo and Kiln Fiend, but they're not combo combos, I get your point.

There is Oops All Spells and even Eggs in the format too, and that Midnight Guard/Presence of Gond combo people have been failing to make efficient enough to go anywhere near the tiers. So it's not there combo isn't a thing, it's just that it's shit in this format until it isn't, whereupon it's too powerful. Somehow.

Yes. Kuldotha Boros is tearing across the meta atm as I understand and it's a great deck that even has its own overrun and runs Thraben Inspector.

yeah, i understand that you get what i meant- combo that doesn't win with creatures, haha. can you post lists or examples for those couple you mentioned? i don't play a ton these days and haven't seen those in action.

super curious about how oops could work... what the hell is the win con?

Not a combo player myself, but to elaborate on some of them:
>Kiln Fiend is combo in the same sense as modern/legacy Infect is - you use pumps to get one creature insanely huge and kill on turn 3-4 or scoop to removal
>Elves do elf things, shitting out their hand turn 2-3
>Affinity fling is feeding an Atog with artifacts until he's lethal and then casting Fling. The list I use is even deadlier here, as each fed artifact pings for 1+ with Disciple of the Vault
>Midnight Guard untaps when a creture ETB; Presence of Gond makes a token on tap = infinite tokens. It's hard to setup, dies to Shrivel/Electrickery and harder to protect
>Oops
mtggoldfish.com/deck/438859#online

rate my shitbrew

I'll be honest, I only play pauper so I can play gray merchant

Got me a faeries deck last week, I was goldfishing with it before going to my locals and man is it hard to pilot. Wonder if I should give up on pretending to have skill and just run delvers.
t. Former standard player

I made two pauper decks (mono U and B) recently.

Why is pauper more fun than edh?

Probably because you're allowed to play for more than four turns without requiring a PhD in MTG comprehensive rules ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

They are different games entirely.
edh is like some sort of dick sucking board game, while pauper is a competitive 1v1 zero sum game.

I love politicking, but I get super autistic with it and after a solid game or two of me wheelin and dealin words, I'm burnt. I can't afford to get "staple" cards so I talk my way outta shit.

Do people not play pauper cause if they like it they can't justify a $1k deck?

The reason they don't play it is because there are certain effects that just make the game more enjoyable at rare, like decent mana and planeswalkers.

I like to consider Pauper as a very engaging, but overall kind of boring format when you're limited to mostly simple cards. That said, there are exceptions and definitely complicated matchups, so I still enjoy it.

>Planeswalkers
>more enjoyable
You wot

You say that as if it's a bad thing
Legacy is the best format not including Vintage, but it really is too expensive for anyone but people with no fiscal sense.

Pauper's also much easier to ease new people into since there's less (albeit fun) inbred stuff like the various combo decks and the ridiculous synergies in Legacy (which, again, are part of the fun of Legacy, but it's not fun if you don't understand why it's balanced)

I stole your build.

I like the use of timberwall ya got goin on.

I stole your build too.

You should use Manamorphose over Simian Spirit Guide though I clearly know what you're trying to meme.

I think you aim to cast this. There are some ways to get it out of your grave in case it's not in time for balustrade spy. Flashback Morgue Theft for Anarchist is one way, the other is to crack a Conjurer's Bauble.

Eggs is more flexible but here's an example:

mtggoldfish.com/deck/407439#online

The best dairies decks are those that dont run only faieries. U Delver is mostly a fae deck with ninjas and UR faeries add bolts to the mix. Both are good decks, with mono u being a solid tier 1 staple.

If you had to build a battle box for your group of 5-8 decks with a budget of $200, what decks would you make? What notable omissions come to mind that didn't make your list? What's the rationale behind each choice?

Yes I'm asking because I'm interested in building one myself

Pick a few from this list. Getting all of these would probably set you for the entire format though

Delver
Stompy
Affinity
RUG Tron
Mono-Black Control
Jeskai Kuldotha
UR Drake (or Murasa Tron)
UB Teachings
Elves
Burn
Bogles (traditional, not 5-colour)
Angler Delver
Izzet Blitz
White Weenie (Tokens/Soul Sisters, most likely. Possibly rebels)
Goblins
RDW
Slivers
Tortured Existence (Likely Abzan, although personally I'd use G/B Madness TortEx)

this was good fun.

>Friend decides not to play LD against this because 'it wouldn't be fun'
>Get turn 3 tron and just make big dudes

I felt bad.

I need a new pauper thing to play but I still need to find something that interests me.

what is the set budget for their playgroup?
mine is a local cardshop and it's set at 25$ max.
is this good? bad?

>$25 max

seems kinda low.

There's actually very few money cards in Pauper, mostly just really old shit like Oubliettes which only see play in very few decks, and ain't even completely necessary.

Nice get

>Do people not play pauper cause if they like it they can't justify a $1k deck?
I'm playing pauper with my gf because we are lazy. Using only commons is nicely reducing the card pool. We are experimenting with standard pauper right now which is surprisingly fun

Currently looking for a new deck to tinker with. Waiting on bits for mono U affinity, haven't been able to get UB Madness or Naya Landfall to a place I'm happy with. That Jund deck looks like it could be fun.

I'm unfamiliar with G/B Madness TortEx, please describe it and why you prefer it to Abzan? Doesn't losing the enchantment tutors hurt quite a bit?

As for the list, I appreciate it, and I had narrowed my options down to those and a few janky things like Midnight Gond and Acid Trip too (also Vinestorm, because it just ain't a good format if you can't play Storm in it), but I'm mostly wondering how to keep the battlebox balanced-ish but also fun and diverse

Simian Spirit Guide is a travesty

>come play pauper! It's fun!
>Has tron decks

Yea. I'll pass

>Play pauper for the first time
>Expect it to be a bunch of causal janky decks
>Throw together a cheap UB control deck since it's one of my favorites
>Play against an $80 dollar """"pauper"""" bogles deck
>Realize the spikes got to the intentionally cheap format
>Never play pauper again.
Go fuck yourselves.

You're a fucking moron. Cheap does not mean it has to be shit.
>hurrr I want to play bad decks wtf y don't u?

>Expectig a cheap format to be a casual one
Go fuck yourself, this isn't the format for you, this is a format to play high level, decision intensive games as reasonable prices.

>UB control
Was it actual dimir control or a bunch of blue and black cards you had?

fuck yeah scumbag control

Don't get me wrong, I run ninjas, cloudfins and spire golems in addition to the miscreant / spellstutter / pestermite core. Even some stitched drakes because do I love me above the curve creatures.
UR faeries sounds fun though, may try that or use Psionic Blast for maximum jank.

>Dairies decks
I didn't even know there were cows in Magic apart from certain parts of the playerbase

Before anyone calls me an idiot, I just checked and Psionic Blast is not Pauper Legal.

wut is ur wincon m8?

There's a single Curse of the Bloody Tome, but most games are won with repeated Evincar's Justice.

I can't look at this list and not be reminded of that absolute puntfest between Paul Cheon and Wedge during last year's Coomunity Super League when Paul fielded this deck and Wedge fielded Oops All Spells, and Paul sided Evincar's Justice out, leaving him no way to win the game in game 2.

youtube.com/watch?v=vKVgWsakbxc

>Only 21 creatures in the graveyard
my sides

>pauper
Thank you OP. I truly appreciate those who enjoy the fine dining that is the pauper format.

I play paper pauper only because I am against shilling to WOtC as Much as possible.

Decklist
>mono white tokens
>izzet "combo"

Really izzet combo is izzet blitz but only with kiln fiend and things to enable combos off of retraction helix and nettle drone. It doesn't always work, but when it does it is absolutely stupid to watch.

>Refraction Helix and Nettle Drone
>Izzet
what

This desu. Dimir Control is actually a very decent deck - maybe not tier 1 but very competent. If you lost with it then you have no one to blame but yourself.

If you just threw together ebin xD kitchen table shitbrew, again, go fuck yourself.

What do you think about Dinrova Horror in Dimir Control as a 1 or 2 of at the top of the curve? It was downgraded to common in MM 2017.

This deck is so stupid but I can't stop playing it. Izzet Blitz is like crack.

eh

It trades neither with gurmag angler nor with the gearseeker serpent, is a dead card for 80% of the game and cannot be cheated around turn three like Angler. The effect is powerful I guess but nothing to write home about. Oh, it also doesn't dodge Victim of Night like the Angler while also being susceptible to hydroblast.

I'd say no but I will probably try one-of in a game soon and see what happens. I am quite pessimistic about it.

Did anyone try playing the Aristrocrats deck featured in the recent mtggoldfish article? How did it perform - is it a viable deck for 30 bucks that it costs?

Haven't tried playing it, but it doesn't look great. I'd probably try RB Aristocrats with Hissing Iguanar and Falkenrath Noble, sacrificing mogg war marshal and goblin matron. Driver of the Dead seems like a viable inclusion also.

I think what the deck is really missing is another good sac outlet. I've tried making builds with Ashnod's Altar but so far haven't found one I like.

>Ashnod's Altar
Wait, what? Was is ever a common? Is it one of em paper-only blokes?

Huh. Just looked in to that. Bloody Chronicles.

I believe Card Kingdom is starting to formalize the combined Pauper format for paper that allows both online and paper legalities and just extends the ban list to High Tide, Sinkhole, Hymn to Tourach and Goblin Grenade.

I know this might start a shitstorm but I'm glad this is finally happening, it's an important step to make Pauper a reality in paper. So things like Tormod's Crypt, BEB, REB, and Ashnod's Altar; as well as Battle Screech, Brindle Shoat and Beetleback Chief are no longer up for contention. Also stuff like Custodi Squire and the new Basic Landcycling Land from Commander. No confusion, they're all just allowed. It may be a little unorthodox, but it's nice to have a combined format in reality to avoid situations like the one we just ran into.

>High Tide banned
Y'all just hate fun.

What is the best deck in pauper to use Dark Rituals? I fucking love that card and it's a shame it's barely used.

i just started to try to get this dopey shit to work

still definitely messing with it it's far from even close to not shit but i want to hear some suggestions

forgot my FUCKING image it's 4:30 am

holy fucking shit

Oops All Spells and Turbo Reanimator. Great fun in both.

I've never played High Tide, I just know people seem intent on banning it.

Suicide black aggro probs.

Um... try out Gift of Orzhova? Apparently combos well with Chanpion of the Guildpact.

shyttt thanks dude

>turbo reanimator
tell me more. does it shit out a crusher turn one? I can imagine it with:
> land > lotus petal > faithless looting discarding crusher > dark pact > exhume

What does Card Kingdom have to do with pauper legality?

You think correctly. Except there is also this card to give the fucker haste. Some streamlined builds might not run Dark Ritual, but I'm sure the experience should suit your palate anyway.

mtggoldfish.com/deck/405438#online

They organized some fairly high stakes paper Pauper events recently as I recall, the Rags to Riches tournament with payouts like Tarmogoyf and Cavern of Souls as top prizes. And it was broadcasted fairly widely, with some stores adopting the format for their Pauper events too. So while it is neither proper Online Pauper, nor is it strictly a "Paper" only format, it might become the unofficial standard for paper formats because of its intuitiveness and popularity. At least that's what I'm hoping.

Here's the list I decided to run:
youtube.com/watch?v=fMno5zBjM70

Well, OP here, I decided to start with Temur Tron because I've seen it in videos online more so than Murasa Tron so I decided to get it for familiarity's sake so I can get used to a tron deck first. From there I plan to shitbrew and/or try out Murasa builds as well. I feel like by the time you get Temur Tron you've gotten like 70-80% of the cost of all Tron decks in general.

>think about building this shit in paper cause I already have 4 decks online but only own Affinity in paper (posted my list above, check it out )
>SSG over 5 pounds and nowhere to be found in reputable stores

As far as Paper pricing is concerned, Turbo Reanimator and Oops All Spells are certainly up there with Tron due to the SSG/Gitaxian Probe/Lotus Petal package. I think they alone rack up ~50 bucks?

True. Not that it helps with Ancient Stirrings reaching $7 each.

I was interested in seeing if BG would work with Crypt Rats, but the only way that's really viable is with Initiate of the Ebon Hand for filtering; at that point it seems a bit too clunky to be effective.

Oh man, don't remind me, between Expedition Map, Ancient Stirrings and Chromatic Star and the Tron lands you've just spend 50-60 of the ~95ish dollars needed to make this deck.

I just got the whole order two days ago, then I bought my car. I'm a poor, poor Pauper at this point ;_;

Better yet, why are pyro and hydroblasts so fucking expensive online? I got mine in paper for literal peanuts even before the EM reprint.

They editions hydro/pyro are in arent very good for draft, which is the main eay cards get into the modo card pool.

And the editions of REB/BEB that are online, they are uncommons.

So its mainly low supply and very high demand, mostly by the pauper players.

Friday night today guys!

What are you playing? I didnt rake a picture of todays deck but its basically the one in the pic with some changes:
-4 AK
-Bettleback Chief
+3 eldrazi skyspawner
+3 ninja of the deep hours
+2 spellstutters in the sideboard instead of the 2 eldrazis.

At least in testing it probed to work much better against stompy and gobbos while not losing much from the change. Not relying so much in the graveyard is also a nice bonus.

i want this list to be fun.

but it wasn't :(

Wtf is this Pauper Death's Shadow Zoo?

How can a list so nice not be fun? It makes me sad to know that...

Its usually known as Domain Zoo.

Is this the card that will make RG madness playable?

Will it ever be released online?

Will anyone ever break the paper meta with this stud?

not enough ways to hit the opponent. Also trading 1-for-1 on removal way too often.

Why aren't you running Aether Burst??

Jund Madness here we go

That card seems a bit busted honestly. Can't really make cards better than that and not have them ridiculously OP

I know, I jest, I just saw the Nacatl and the Gurmag Angler and thought it was a funny parallel to Death Shadow Zoo

bump

what makes for a better/more interesting matchup with MBC? Jeskai Kitty, Kuldotha Jeskai, or Kuldotha Boros? I've been playing MBC vs Jeskai Kitty and it seems like MBC has a distinct advantage. I'm wondering if Kuldotha Jeskai will help against the edicts.

Does control or aggro work better for you against MBC. I've had luck with aggro, trying to out value them.

I put together a UR Knack/Helix Combo deck, does anyone have any suggestions for the sideboard? Meta is primarily delver and izzet blitz

Been playing this Bubbling Muck "combo" list for a little while, except with a Doom Blade and a Pestilence pushed to the sideboard (in place of the Swamps) replaced with 2x Chainer's Edict. It's really fun.

But how the fuck do I give myself a chance versus control? I was thinking Tasigur's Cruelty might me cool tech, since the deck doesn't use the grave much.

Any help is appreciated. I usually play Delver, Elves, or affinity variants so I'm not sure how to build combo control.

that sounds really shitty

i've been getting really into pauper and just found out the game store near my apartment, which had been really shitty, is under new management and just fired a 12 person pauper event
it's happening

you don't really need to run many wincons in Control.

But yes, it makes you feel like complete scum.

>Bubbling Muck

Is there any good resources for getting into pauper online?

I bought a delver deck and bombed my first league because I have no clue what matters in most match-ups.

mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper#paper

maybe give you an idea about the expected matchups?