Pls halp

Hi guys, i come to you in a time of need. Last week i got together with my old battlefield 1942 clan, got drunk and the subject of me having roleplayed a long time ago came up. It was then that another guy revealed he had roleplayed in the past and we hyped the shit out of the rest of the group on rpgs.
In the following days we started talking about it sober and everyone's still on the rpg boat and the other "veteran" in the group wants to DM. The catch is that it has to be a WW2 setting game that is not a pain in the ass to learn to dm as he has bare to none dm'ing experience. It wouldnt hurt if the system is versatile enough to include a bit of fantasy to it, im thinking nazis summoning eldritch beings (hellboy style), a nazi necromancer raising the dead to fight once more and the likes.

>TL;DR
>Need recommendations for WW2 rpg that is "noob dm" friendly
>or best alternatives

You'll probably be told GURPS, so let's get that out of the way.

You say they're new? Well depending on how tactical you want to be you might look up strike.

Lastly if all else fails, I'm sure there's something called d20 modern

yeah, i had a vague understanding of gurps and investigated a bit but was told that the system is a bit complicated on the DM's end.

i'll dig out some info on strike and that d20 modern tip you gave.

Tanks for the help!

bumping for alternatives

common guise, plz halp!

>im thinking nazis summoning eldritch beings (hellboy style), a nazi necromancer raising the dead to fight once more and the likes
please dont do this

D20 anything is full retard
GURPS is a great fit. Go Lite if you need to, but use it.

Cthulhu lite is up your alley. The period is okayish, there are monsters, it's easy. The only drawback is that it isn't combat oriented.

>GURPS lite
>cold fire

I thought we already established gurps lite doesn't work

I think it could be fine, honestly if you don't call them eldritch horrors. People get pretty butthurt when you have tentacle monsters that you can kill.

Necromancer Nazis can be cool, idea should be that the Nazis are experimenting with dark arts not professionals, they aren't wearing robes they're the generals who are very impracticed

Oh and one more thing OP, this is a little secret I learned, and it's surprisingly helpful. I bet you might have accidentally overlooked it.

Google, simply Google your setting or idea. I'm running a wild west game and all I googled was "wild west encounter ideas" and it helped fuel my campaign

Try either looking up magic Nazis or Hellboy game

Weird War II looks like what you're looking for OP. There are several versions based on the engine but Savage Worlds is simple, but it focuses on pulpy action rather than accuracy. Savage Worlds core and Weird War II can be found in the Archive thread pdf.

You could use this for a shorter (5ish max) game just as a introductory. The game basically ends with you handing out mental issues to the characters.
I use it for WW2 and Vietnam.

Then you also have Ops And Tactics if you dont mind more crunch. Some people really hate it, others like it. I like it. Its free to download if you can google it.

So many replies instead of one big post cause I am a idiot.
For historicalish war settings I know people refluff Only War, its the only WH40K rpg I haven't played but the other ones are nice enough.

GURPS

>not reading the first fucking post

He is a frog, give him a break

The Warhammer 40k RP system might actually work for this with some Tweaking, a pretty simple combat system that's really lethal

You'd need to remake the equipment and change the skills, but otherwise most of Only War could port in

why not? i feel it would help a lot in the transition of settings once we get the noobs hooked in and they are ready to switch games... plus, i think that the possibility to let imagination fly more at the time of planning the campaign would help the first time dm to stay motivated and shit.

i thought about cthulhu and ragnarok as last resort alternatives exactly because of the "not so combat oriented". thanks for the advice!

hahaha i'll keep that in mind for my friend once we decide on a specific game. i didnt google search yet because i trust much more on the advice of experienced players who actually dont have anything to win other than sharing their wisdom.

thank you very much, those look like finalists, i will definitely look into them!

you gave me precious intel AND bumped my thread while i was gone... dont feel bad about it, i loev you user!

this serves my machiavellian plot as i always intended to play WH40k but never had anyone to play with MUEHEHEHEHEHE! the extra work might displease the DM though, ill see if i can bribe him offering help and shit.

Thank you all for the suggestions and feedback guise! i knew i could count on you!

Have a sexy dita pinup for the trouble.

Spirit of the Century is high-falutin' 20s and 30s with superheroes. Easy to do an impending war backdrop. Simple to run.

this, so much this, Savage Worlds has fast and good gunplay rules. I own a hardback of this bad boy and recommend it.

>i feel it would help a lot in the transition of settings once we get the noobs hooked in and they are ready to switch games... plus, i think that the possibility to let imagination fly more at the time of planning the campaign would help the first time dm to stay motivated and shit.

The core of Weird War II, Savage Worlds system is also a generic and spans many settings if you want to mix and match random shit together, too.

Google the powered by the apocalypse hack "the regiment 2.1." 16 pages of rules only