Why haven't you put pic related as a major threat in your setting?

Why haven't you put pic related as a major threat in your setting?
Realistic setting-makers don't need to reply, we know your answers

Other urls found in this thread:

monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Deviljho
youtube.com/watch?v=lhh7x6lqinU
youtube.com/watch?v=rIhb8ajhUNU
youtube.com/watch?v=1j8KpHSl9Pg
youtube.com/watch?v=DhrsUL-T1ag
youtube.com/watch?v=WYCXnCm_TG8
youtube.com/watch?v=QCfWOSca0ik
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgaENq73xcA
youtube.com/watch?v=hc6ZDsnX0GY
youtube.com/watch?v=wgYPYJhmVV0
youtube.com/watch?v=aiwyd0HXoGo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

I have a fear of pickles.

Because I traded up from an Angry Pickle to Mecha Mantis.

Because I draw my inspiration from places other than Monster Rancher? Or whatever this thing is from.

Because I'm putting this thing in as a major threat

so I can put in an apex deviljho

>Monster Rancher

Wow, forgot that existed, nostalgia bomb

I'm not a "rocks fall" sort of DM.

Give me a rundown on the pickle, user.

>Deviljho is a Brute Wyvern introduced in Monster Hunter 3.
>Deviljho is armed with a powerful set of jaws that it can use to deliver bone-crunching bites to prey and foe alike. In addition, its powerful hind legs allow it to run at relatively high speed and leap considerable distances towards prey. When enraged, Deviljho is capable of producing a mysterious clouded emission which can be shot out of the mouth in a stream at prey. This substance contains the Dragon Element and can be very deadly to hunters as well as other monsters.
>Deviljho is a nomadic monster, prone to wandering vast distances in search of prey. Its status as a super-predator allows it to overtake the territory of any monster that stands in its path. Because of the extreme amount of energy its body consumes, Deviljho is always in search of food sources. It is known to be cannibalistic, and is also prone to eating prey alive in order to waste as little time as possible in replenishing its energy.

monsterhunter.wikia.com/wiki/Deviljho

Bonus: Almost no one likes to hunt it because of its difficulty and it regularly appears on quests unrelated to it, an example being "I have to hunt a Rathian then BOOM, Deviljho appears out of nowhere.

I hear in monster hunter the hunters are offspring of ancient super soldiers or something.

So it's a roadrunner dragon?

No offense laddies but I'll need a lot more reason to put this in my game beyond 'videogames are fun'

Try watching someone hunting a Savage Deviljho (OP pic).
I like it in my games because it represents the sheer cruelty of nature and it's rather hard to kill .

Well, there's more lore to it.
Basically to produce this dragon element, its internal body heat is greater than molten rock.
To keep this fucking abomination of a body running, the Jho needs to eat.
And eat.
And eat.

It isn't a roadrunner because it's how it hunts, and it isn't like some super fast land animal. The thing is a fucking TRex that eats entire ecosystems and has to keep looking for more shit to eat.
In fact, sleeping for more than like eight hours can kill a Jho because its body starts shutting down.

The tentative lore is that there was a war between humans and dragons and that the humans of the game are decendants of the super human warriors who fought dragons even stronger than the ones currently present in the game.

You can see bits of this in the fact that their weapons and armor tech is kind of all over the place with examples such as the Artian Armor and certain weapons being described as being made with technology that is not easy to replicate or is entirely lost.

On top of this, you have specific monsters called Elder Dragons that are set apart from almost all other monsters are are considered to be literal forces of nature incarnate.

Well nothing says you have to copy it whole sale but you can certainly take inspiration from it. Whenever I eventually get my homebrew game off the ground I plan on introducing a monster like Deviljho that is intelligent enough to speak and is essentially a modified Terrasque of sorts and will occasionally just show up if the PCs are in the right place and cause problems for them like it does in the game.

>not having flying bears with laser beams for eyes

Arzuros doesn't fly....And it doesn't have lasers....But it is a big blue bear with dragon like skin on it's body!

Paul W S Anderson, is that you?

You always confuse Monster Hunter with Monster Rancher.

It is basically a perpetually hungry, fat TRex-zilla with rows of shark teeth growing by the dozens covering most of it's face, it has a corrosive saliva and can vomit up toxic clouds of who knows what.

It eats anyone and anything it finds, if there are other monsters in the area, it eat that, if it pins you down, it will eat you, if you cut it's tail with your sharp ass sword IT WILL EAT THE TAIL.

When it gets mad it overheats, steam fumes out of it's skin and it's muscles bulk up and it get's even huger, the skin stretches exposing scars all over it's skin, just like Zangief.

youtube.com/watch?v=lhh7x6lqinU

I have used azuros before, as well as pokemon turned into monster hunter monsters.

An always incredibly, incredibly hungry roadrunner dragon, that hits like a truck and shoots anti-dragon hyperbeams, and whose main prey is other megafauna, such as dragons.

Like, you don't understand how hungry this thing is. If you cut off it's tail, it will stop midfight (because it doesn't see you as a threat, just particularly difficult morsels) to go eat it's own severed tail because "oh boy a big hunk of fresh meat that's easier to eat!"

I love the Pickle but let's face it, at the end of the day he's just a T-Rex with disgusting stats and a very very very, extremely, bad attitude.

I'd rather put in dinosaur Mike Tyson with explosive fists.

In short: i didn't consider it

in long: it fucking is now

>Realistic setting-makers don't need to reply
Monster Hunter creatures are good for realistic settings, they are fantastic animals but are way easier to fit into a realistic setting.

The ones I like to use are the Pseudo-Wyverns, like the Tigrex.

Because I'm going for more of pic related with a few other inspirations mixed in.

I just said that because of muh Dragon Element.
Well, yes, apart from the Elder Dragons and some few fantastic monsters, MH is a nice source for realistic settings.
Bonus points to you because you like Pseudowyverns

Because in my setting, an overgrown lizard with an arcane digestive tract would be more of an every-day thing. Pic related would be considered a "major threat"

MonHun might as well be a 3rd-party Monster Manual
>Lao and Laviente are Tarrasque-tier threats
>Fatalis and other various EDs can ravage a country's ecosystem as Elder Wyrm-tier threats
>Kirin is a superbeast Druids can eventually call on in a 'pray to nature' desperation move
>belligerent threats like Rajang and Deviljho can be thrown at the party to ruin their day
>almost an entire chapters worth of wyverns/psuedo-wyverns
>plenty of herbivores and other fantasy beasts like the Gargwa and Rhenoplos

They exist. The party has found the corpse of one.

Because this.
SPOILERS!
youtube.com/watch?v=rIhb8ajhUNU
youtube.com/watch?v=1j8KpHSl9Pg

because one of the PCs is basically one of those.
He -will- eat.

Because Jho is cool and all but Stygian Zinogre is terrifying.

Spin the disk.

Unlock the power.

Monsters rule.

>Not wanting a monster that sharpens it's sword with it's own teeth

I feel a little bit bad for Sony, they really tried this time, but Nintendo punched them in the dick without even trying. And they didn't need SJW game critic bait like "strong female lead" or "ethnically diverse population" to artificially inflate the public perception of their genuinelly good game.

It's sad because while the setting was interesting, the end product suffered from the same thing most big western devs suffer: a pathologic lack of charm.

It's like, they have this cool idea, and the gameplay is at least passable, but everything it's so drenched in the widespread western ideal of making things epic and mature in the hollywood sense that it turns out generic and stale.

My players are stranded in an island with a Dr. Moreau cult of zooanthropes and a Tarrasque that randomly shows up to fuck them up.

But it is in my game.

There are a fucking ton of monster hunter monsters in the game. And a hunting guild.

Of course the game is a mashup of breath of fire and monster hunter, so.

Yeah, the thing that'll keep people randomly replaying BOTW for decades to come is not some "epic" story or "deep" subtext, but the stupid funny things you can do interacting with the enviroment and NPCs, and the freedom it gives you to build your own challenge.

Video Games are fucking toys at the end of the day, we don't need hollywood or literally masterpieces from them, we need A GAME.

>Horizon releases
>Zelda comes out like a week later to blow it the fuck out
>Some PS3-looking open world game made by a fucking madman comes out a bit later than Zelda and also blows the fuck out of horizon

It even deals with a post apocalyptic earth over ran by machines.

I'm gonna just take the Dragon element and use it in everything because fuck yes

I don't feel like they did it for an SJW commentary, they did it because it made for a good story. That's all they needed out of Aloy, and she definitely delivered.

I find Horizon: Zero Dawn and The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild to be pretty similar in terms of gameplay. They both did something similar by making the game, well, hard in the same, "if I'm cocky or not careful, I'll still get jobbed by these low level enemies," way that the Dark Souls games did. Whether it's moblins or watchers, if you don't pay attention, they'll kick your ass.

The difference between East and West, as far as games development goes, isn't a lack of charm or a need to be, "big," or, "epic," it's that games are seen as media, despite them not being considered art, and media is covered by television and hollywood execs.

>mashup of breath of fire and monster hunter
That is a nice mix, I like how both universes have huge dragon and sandships.

Because Achaekek is currently running around.

>I don't feel like they did it for an SJW commentary, they did it because it made for a good story. That's all they needed out of Aloy, and she definitely delivered.
Aloy was designed by Loish and like everything she draws, she's pretty much Loish but prettier.
It's the Captain Planet ensemble or multicultural people that gave me hard SJW-pleasing vives.

The other really funny thing with the pickle is what happens with a Qurupeco (Giant bird thing whose schtick is mimicking other monster roars to get them to show up), since EVEN OTHER MEGAFAUNA SCARED OF THIS MOTHERFUCKER.
>Quru dials up a Deviljho
>Deviljho shows up
>Quru shits its britches and leaves area
>Follow because you're only getting paid for the Quru
>Quru gets pissy that you're trying to murder it
>Repeat

I was once known as the Jho-Killer. People used to send me friend requests as soon as the quest was over because I would rock that pickle's world with my Greatsword. I don't know why people were so afraid of it, as if you could beat a Narga you could easily beat the hungry rex.

I find that hard to believe, considering they went through several dozen different concepts before finally settling on the one we got. What you've said sounds like one of those things where someone who has no idea what they're talking about presents something as fact, no one questions it, and it gets spread around by everyone that's been told it, as though it actually were fact.

Oh, right, forgot to add in:

When you get towards the end of the game you get to go behind the door her tribe considers to be their goddess. Inside you see a bunch of holo-recordings of cloned children, the early part of the Apollo project that failed because Faro, the guy that ruined the world in the first place, got a second chance by being accepted onto project zero dawn, had purged Apollo because he saw knowledge as a disease. They were cloned from all of the researchers that were a part of the project, who were from all over the world, and my theory is that they eventually found a way out and, since they were basically children despite being adults, they had this weird, slanted, mystical view of the world that got twisted in the retelling over several generations.

So, yeah, that's why there's so many different colors of people in one small area in the game. It's not an SJW commentary, it's the logical conclusion of project zero dawn.

On the monster hunter sub on reddit they had a discussion on how Valfalk actually does it jet powered flight and natural it came down to Dragon Element since it's essentially "breathing" dragon element out of it's wings the same way The Pickle breathes it out of his mouth, except he can't use it to fly Yet

Because I'm waiting on you to post a major threat.

White Fatty? I mean, you have to deal with Lao Shan Lung because it's running away from the Black one which is basically the babby form for all intents and purposes.

While I'm newer to monhun, not every weapon is good at picklebashing.
Narga I can handle easy. It's one of the easiest things out there.
Jho gives me some trouble because it's hard to reach anything but his feet with SnS, and because that's the only thing I can hit I get stepped on and danced at.

I've never played monster hunter but I like the ideas about it and think it has some pretty cool monster designs and ideas.

Good thing Aerial Style fixes that. I sorta feel like a bitch for abusing Aerial Switch Axe but damn does it get the job done.

>Aerial SnS
Ewww.
You know, I like the idea of styles, but they did NOT balance what each of them lost at all. Nor really gave any incentive to stick with Guild, since pretty much every weapon had a style that lost what was basically Shit All

No ammount of lore can change first impressions, Sonygger.

Well, maybe. Alot of depends on the monster and how you feel like fighting it. I almost exclusively fight Khezu with Addept Bow and use Adept Bow because being able to adept dodge is worth only having the one HA slot. Then again I perfer Guild Swatch because it has the lunging poke on the axe mode that is missing from the other styles and now there is incentive to use axe mode more in XX.

But before we turn into /v/ time for more Veeky Forums shit.

What do you guys think of other aspects of the MonHun universe? The idea of powering weapons with the phial system seems neat as they seem to be reloadable batteries to enchant your weapons with

>Sonygger
>last console I bought was a Wii, back a few days after it first came out
>not a Wii U, a Wii
>don't really care to buy any new consoles, not enough games I want to play on them
Nice try, but it's time to go back to your board, /v/irgin.

I'm having success with Aerial sns, but I'm also an awful scrub who shouldn't be giving monhun advice.

You must learn to use many weapons in your hunting career. Do not always rely on one.

I had something similar going on in Tri, was a Lance master so people sought me out to tank the elite hunts while they who couldn't ignore the wyvern's attacks dealt damage and ran like bitches to heal/sharpen while I distracted it.

Haven't played MonHun since, don't own any new console or handheld because I took it to life and became a seasonal fisherman, now I go from Alaska to Mexico hunting for giant crab and tuna the size of a man.

I absolutely love the crafting shenanigan idea. Gotta go all animism to correctly capture the 'essence' of a critter to take its powers.

What would be even more fun would be expanding the food system so you can get food buffs from all the random shit you're killing as well.

I like that the phials are effectively unlimited, serving as more a tempo cost than a resource cost.

Yeah, something like Incarnum from 3.5 would be perfect for that I think, combined with Phials you could store your ambient soul energy in them to activate the power of the animal your weapon/armor was derived from or some shit like that.

Also, how does your last character deal with being attacked by a Golden Rajang?

I, too, am a fan of the fucking Brave Icon. It's the monster that made me fall in love with the game, and the one that forced me to actually get gud.

I honestly feel it's seriously just someone stopping to think 'Wait. If all these critters have scales tougher than steel and claws sharp enough to rend our armor apart, why are we still using regular metal and not using these tougher-than-steel scales and metalrending claws for our gear instead?'
And considering how many fantasy properties have creatures with said characteristics, you'd think those ideas would come up more often.

Well I imagine the hard part is you still have to get the material off the monster because the monster ain't just going to give it to you and all you have is your regular metal shit against it's iron scales and adamantine claws/teeth and [insert special power here]

Hence making shitty armor, killing little things, making them into armor, killing the next thing, making IT into armor, killing next bigger thing, etc.

You don't try to run in and teabag the picklebeast in basic gear.

Dragon scale armors and gear out of your legendary kills is often found in myth. The Nemean Lion got turned into the best armor ever and a set of armor-piercing daggers. And Medusa's head was the first tactical nuke.

Nah, the phials are probably just mundane, with the rest of it.
I'm talking like how the armor sets have a theme that's mostly separate from the armor, most visible on the female sets
>Deviljho parts have a sort of biker motif
>Khezu parts make for a nurse outfit
>Rathian parts make for a bigass courtly gown
>Teostra/Lunastra sets are basically noble outfits made of armor plate
Which reflects back on the 'identity' of the monsters themselves
>Deviljho gives no fucks and barges in breaking things
>Khezu gross as fuck and also heals fast
>Rathians have that whole 'queen of the land' thing going on
>Teostra/Lunastra are giant bitches
It's not just the bits, it's the personification.

>Rathian parts make for a bigass courtly gown
I always thought of it as a maid uniform.

>Barbarian Rex with a negative energy breath weapon
I'm pretty sure the average dragon would think twice about tangling with that.

Congalala is the actual biker but I get what your getting at.That's also the other fascinating part about MonHun is the themes associated with the Armor.

For instance, Tamamitsune's Armor is associated with a wedding gown or robes for such a ceremony while it's weapons are those used by preists and nobles.

Gammoth's armor and weapons talk about a giant mountain god.

Steve's Armor mentions a golden army marching to victory.

So on and so forth.

Depends on whether it's a tiara or a headband.

Also also, the palico outfits have an even more extreme version, when they're not just shrunken versions.

Thank you for posting that, I know realize I need to watch Shin Godzilla because that motherfucker is scary. Maybe I'll just have him wandering around a setting as a casual fuck you to the gods and any large civilizations or monsters that catch his eyes.

>Teo a bitch
You get the fuck outta here. Teo is the goddamn best.

>Monster Manual
An absolute bullshit one. Health thresholds on ED breaks? That's just being a cunt to your players. Fuck you Teo, 25% is a bullshit threshold for horn break

The Elder Dragons tend to be more weird than fantastic.
Their numbers include a whale that headbutts walls to cause earthquakes and a flying octopus covered in trees .

I like to use pokemon as spirits desu, elementals specially. Of course very modified so players don't directly acuse me of plagiarism but I think some suspect that already.
And I Like to use monsters of any setting I Like, but tailored to a lower level of magic.

Stealing this idea

>the skin stretches exposing scars all over it's skin, just like Zangief.
Zangief scars come from wrestling brown bears in Syberia

> scars come from wrestling in Syberia
Right, what did that other user just say?

I'm serious about huge monsters in my setting user.

Please elaborate on what this monster does, apart from looking like a t-rex reject.

>Narga I can handle easy. It's one of the easiest things out there.
It was nerfed to the ground after MHFU
It was a nightmare back then

Eats whole ecosystems and parties of hunters. Also shoots beams of concentrated FUCK YOU and is ALWAYS ANGRY ALL THE TIME.

on that note, I'm thinking about running a MH campaign in future. How do you capture the feel of the monster hutner world in tabletop form?
also monster ideas i guess

To be honest, deviljhos aren't the most fantastical of monsters. Like you and others point out, it's basically just a more monsterish looking T-Rex, and doesn't act much differently in-game. It's whole life is just roaming the earth and ravenously eating whatever it finds, ruining the ecosystem.
There are far more interesting monsters that all mostly have decent explanations for their biology
This son of a bitch for example cultivates a kind of slime mold in it's body that it then mixes with saliva to prime it for detonation. Thought he was utterly ridiculous at first but now one of my favorite designs youtube.com/watch?v=DhrsUL-T1ag

also have this for a nice selection of beasties the series has to offer youtube.com/watch?v=WYCXnCm_TG8

T-rex made of hunger and hate

There's a variant thats hungrier and hatier

Agnaktor is the Best Monster
youtube.com/watch?v=QCfWOSca0ik

>giant angry pickle
>when you could have queen giant tank bug learned in the art of forceful gattai
youtube.com/watch?v=ZgaENq73xcA

Even is the mission that has you hired to capture the Qurupeco alive, if it dies the mission fails and don't get paid.
The Qurupeco mimics the roar of a Deviljho and attracts one but since Deviljho is a truckload of bullshit and hunger it will try to kill and both you and the Qurupeco and ruin the mission in two different ways.

TO HELL WITH GATTAI
>picking literally any option other than the glorious golden mega-ultra chicken who is also a knight of the wind and edgy enough to cut through power armour
>any armour set other than DEUS VULT: golden edition
youtube.com/watch?v=hc6ZDsnX0GY

Steve is small time

The seltas queen is fake news.

youtube.com/watch?v=wgYPYJhmVV0

>Not wanting the Gogmazios

It's like you don't want to ruin nations with natural made exploding tar.

What about that new thingy from XX?
Rocket.
Propelled.
Dragon.

youtube.com/watch?v=aiwyd0HXoGo

Barufaruku is my new favotire although I love the Fated 4 as well as Malfestio and it's Deviant.

I imagine Baru will get a Deviant as I don't think it's an Elder Dragon.

Holy shit its a fukken jet engine dragon

Move over Queropeco you've been replaced.

Bad news, bro.
But no one ever said Elder Dragons can't get deviants. Following the concept, Ashen Lao-Shan Lung and Rusted Kushala Daora and maybe Gold Beard Ceadeus, which is speculated to be a fully grown Ceadeus are in fact deviants.

Forgot the fookin' pic

Replace the tavern with a hunter's guild and make everything revolve around hunting, farming and gathering.

Technology and culture is a bizarre anachronistic mix of medieval and modern or even futuristic stuff. Cities and villages that look feudal but have a oddly captalistic trade network powered by airships, sandships and boats and protected by hunters.
Sometimes when mining you may find archeotech embed in the rocks, there are ruins everywhere and since monsters are a constant danger to the few isolated cities, war between humans is almost never a thing.

It has a upbeat highadventure feel to it where everything goes together.
A party of hunters may have a knight in armor made of red wyvern scales using an semi automatic rifle made of wood, an old guy wearing light armor made out of amphibious dinosaurs that look like a stripper cowboy with assless chaps and all using a heavy bayonet canon as a weapon, a girl with armor mado out of stone scales from a stone wyvern and using a katana made of sharpened insect chitin that is longer than she is tall and a small cat like creature using a armor made of sharp golden scales and using a huge bone as a weapon.

Clothes, armor and weapons are made out of not only metals and common leather but also monster parts (hide, scales, bones, fangs, etc). Even bullets for guns are made using nuts and bugshells, almost as if all natural resources had been engineered to be useful and/or weaponized in one way or another.

Hunters have ranks, low ranks hunter only have permission to take missions to hunt small velociraptor like bird-wyverns or hunt herbivores for meat. As they finish missions they may be given a Urgent Quest, both a sudden dangerous monster that needs to be dealt with and a test, if they beat it their Rank goes up and they are allowed to tackle more dangerous missions.