I like knights

I like knights.

So do I, espcially outside of their usual setting

>I'll joust you so hard

Fucking techno knights are the sickest shit, surpassed only by corporate barbarians.

Wizards are better

Landowning vassals of a king that existed to manage the king's territory and also muster armies should there be need of them? Or... like... just dudes in armor?

Only when they're super ripped.

Like this?

kung-fu wizards are vastly superior to normal wizards

>ripped
Bitch please, who needs a jacked body when you got reality manipulation?

Fucking pleb.

> Not having both.

THIS is ideal human everything.

I like pretty knights

delete smelly knight

>going melee range
>dead wizard

Yeah, prolong the fight while I end the fucking threat in under a second from afar.

Generally when I say "knight," I'm thinking of some level of warrior nobility, but the exact historical definition isn't strictly necessary. I also tend to include members of religious military orders, as well.

Wizards using mundane weapons and physical combat is fucking retarded. It's unrealistic and makes no sense.

At least LotR gave valid reasons for Gandalf doing it.

>wizards
>unrealistic

You don't say.

I would call your attention to

Run at me with your flaming fits while I polymorph you into a vagina. I bet you couldn't complete your Evocation exams and decided to train with inferior fighters instead.

Get the fuck out.

BEYOND pointing out that there's anything realistic about magic, why would you say it's more realistic for a wizard to not be proficient in close quarters combat? Is it because you think all magic should be exactly how DnD does it?

Trying to add realism to fantasy can have great rewards, just look at A Song of Ice and Fire.

>Is it because you think all magic should be exactly how DnD does it?

Depends on the setting in question, not to mention that battlemages are in the vast minority in fantasy fiction.

Still waiting for the next fucking book to come out, if ever.

More like "A Song of Dropped That Gay Shit First Season"

>implying kung-fu wizard doesn't have a bunch of abjurations protecting from that sort of thing
>implying kung-fu wizard can't just slow time to cross the distance between you
>implying you can cast spells while getting flame-punched in the face
>implying kung-fu wizard won't have superior use of area control magic

The gayness of the show was bizarre, as none of that was in the books.

Loras was an incredibly talented and intelligent knight that just happened to be homosexual, rather than the bimbo the show portrayed him ass.
Martin's editor was even vocal about it.

Sorry, all my contingency spells countered all of that while you were doing flips in midair.

>corporate barbarians

wut

>nuh-uh! yeah-huh!

You're both huge dorks who should have outgrown this bullshit twenty years ago at least.

why do you assume kung-fu wizard doesn't also have contigency spells?

Because I can.

I win.

well we haven't so if it annoys you ignore it

Dude, just accept that you each like different wizardly aesthetics, it's not a big deal.

In all honesty, I don't think the multiclass monk/wizard is going to be as proficient as the full-out wizard here.

Giving it to the scholarly gentleman that actually knows how to counter threats rather than charging them.

This.

>assuming D&D for wuxia wizards

Eww, gross.
Opinion discarded.

sword < sorcery

sorry

>90% of every fantasy setting ever

Yeah, my point still stands.

>D&D is 90% of fantasy
combined with the frogpost this is fairly conclusive proof that you're just trolling

Nah, I'm referring to every fantasy setting ever, period.

>YER A TROL
Jumping to conclusions, are we?

Whether you like it or not, the stereotypical wizard is far more persistent than the battlemage. That's just how fiction went down.

gonna dump what "knights" i have

Wizards are far superior to battlemages, I can agree with the consensus on that.

Doesn't mean they can't look cool.

Why mage knight? You will never be as good as a veteran warrior, or as powerful as a scholarly magician.

But then again, the FF red mage is like that, and people still love him for what he does.

>kung-fu wizards are vastly superior to normal wizards

Such delusions

I prefer mage knights.

i forgot pic so i thought to edit and then i was slow.

A true mage knight isn't one who does warrior things and mage things, he does magewarrior things. He doesn't need to wield his sword better than a fighter, because he can make it fucking on fire, or phase through the guys shield, or any number of bullshit things. Blasting him with magic? good luck, guys been charming the shit out of his plate for years, you aren't getting through that, if you can hit him.

Lets not forget that you don't need to overkill you enemies with 50ft fire balls when you can shoot 10ft ones and won't die to an arrow.

Fuck yeah mage knights.

I've got a couple exotic knights.

>Blasting him with magic? good luck, guys been charming the shit out of his plate for years, and aren't getting through that, if you can hit him.

Yet, the scholarly magician will know just what you did to do any of that, and bypass it relatively easily. He will understand magic far better than you do. You're not specialized in anything particular compared to the other two.

where's this "girls are smelly" meme come from

He can understand, but he is an old ass man, who's spells require range to work when you can just fucking walk up to him and flick him over.

I like death knights.

>when you can just fucking walk up to him and flick him over

Assuming you can even do that, what with all the contingency spells hung around the wizard. Sounds like you're trying to make your 'mage knight' a mary sue / gary stu

> bypass it relatively easily
Can you bypass my speed, spurned by my magics to super human levels? My strength, backed by the fiery flash of my fury?

Will your strikes break my shield, supported by the energy's of the cosmos? made of steel and magic, intertwined perfectly.?

Will you be able to survive my charge?

It is not power that will win a fight, but how you use it.

>old man snaps fingers
>mage knight dies before he even makes it three feet.

Boy, sit down.

i too am intrigued
what is a corporate barbarian

Wow what are you some kinda nerd

>suggesting that you arn't doing the same thing for the wizard

How though? no context for power levels

>time stop
>polymorph
>spontaneous combustion
>blood to acid
>compress metal

Yeah, there are plenty of ways to outplay a battlemage.

Sorry, your 'mage knight' wasted years on physical combat over mastering magic further like the actual magician did.

End of dump for now.
I'll try and get more.

A true battlemage isn't a dude in plate that casts spells, it's just a full-blown wizard that has combat experience and is primarily used to casting spells on a battlefield.

>actual magician

Slight of hand on a Vegas stage isn't relevant experience for combat

>Can you bypass my speed
I cast time stop, or just prevent you with prepared shields

>Will your strikes break my shield
Don't need to, I will telekinetically squash your inner organs

>Will you be able to survive my charge
Teleportation, illusions and shields. Or just prevent you from getting closer using battlefield control.

>It is not power that will win a fight, but how you use it
Yeah, exactly. Wizards end threats right then and there, they don't draw it out like you're suggesting.

This isn't worth the discussion, battlemages look cool and all, but they're not practical enough when fighting actual wizards, I'm sorry.

>my definition of magician equates to every magician ever

Dumbass

Depends entirely on the setting in question.

That's literally what you've been doing this entire time.

Most everyone here, actually. This entire topic is pointless and completely irrelevant to what the OP originally posted.

Just an idea I had for a barbarian in a setting where the universe is an endless office building.

Darth Vader wouldn't last a minute using a lightsaber against the Emperor, lol

You posted the wrong image for your argument.

Can you fucks talk about important shit now?
Like how halberds are the best weapons for knights?

Did you intentionally post a picture of a glaive?

The 1st through 4th grades

I.E. roughly 60% of the people on Veeky Forums, 40% of Veeky Forums.

Yes.

Actually, the emperor can't really fight anymore.

In his prime? Yes, the emporer was a fucking badass, after the clone wars (when vader showed up) he was weaksauce.

Has lightning hands and all that, but can't hold it for too long. If it was saber to saber, vader wins from brute force.

>Actually, the emperor can't really fight anymore.

The extended universe seems to disagree with you. He was still using lightsabers on multiple occasions 2-4 years before Luke showed up on the second Death Star.

It's also canon that Vader had no confidence in his ability to challenge him.

And you're forgetting how he choked out a guy half way cross the galaxy.

The Emperor fights using the Force, buddy.

He curbstomped Starkiller.

Only because autists have a hard time grasping abstract concepts and blurred distinctions.

The Emperor could rip open space and create black holes and summon/teleport individuals across the galaxy in an instant.

He also casually leeched the lifeforce of an entire planet to sustain himself.

Yeah nah fuck you

Uncrippled Vader vs Younger Sheev

Who wins?

But that's fucking wrong

Which younger Sheev? His actual past self or the one that came back after his original death?

Vader was arrogant and stupid as fuck in his youth, I would still give it to Sheev either way.

Okay cool. No fowl then