ITT: We make our own cards

and then wonder why we aren't all game designers.

yugiohcardmaker.net/

Come now, don't be shy.

Oh yeah, not restricted to yugioh either. This is just the only format that I'm remotely familiar with, even though its been 10+ years since I've even touched a card.

Its funny, but even all these years later I can still remember that sterile word format that most of the cards had. In hindsight, the only thing I genuinely disliked about yugioh is the confinement of flavor text strictly to normal monsters.

One thing is certain--I'd need a manual to figure out how the game is played nowadays. I preferred the simplicity of the first several sets, where you can tell the game designers were trying to figure out how they wanted the game to play.

On the plus side, if I ever wanted to collect a few cards for nostalgia's sake, I can get them dirt-cheap since everything has been reprinted a half-dozen times by now.

Which reminds me--the lack of alternate artwork for the reprints probably cost yugioh a small fortune it never knew it could have had over the last decade.

It could have probably made a considerable pot of "gimmick money" by having slightly more lewd depictions of feminine creatures/cards, full art cards, and the like. No card game seems to lead by example, but I don't think it'd be wise if every game got as gimmicky with the alt-arts as, say, pokemon tcg.

Honestly, I'm a bit surprised at the lack of multi-objective games. Rather, the number of games lacking multiple objectives. A game that could be won by intrigue, a quest system, and the traditional "drain life points to 0" mechanic would be fairly popular, I imagine. Something like an RPG, only PvP and in a card game.

But then there's the issue of combining multiple elements in such a manner where the issue of "balance" naturally arises. Plus there'd need to be a set of "objective" cards (similar to mission cards) that would need to be in-play. Maybe winning 2/3 of the goals could produce a win for the entire game.

Never played L5R but the Dead gentlemen production movie which seemed to parody it had multiple victory conditions including quest points.

And having cards dedicated to foiling each aspect of goal-hunting could be beneficial. Of course, this needs to be done in such a way that there's a margin for profitability--a deck can't have a hundred cards, otherwise everyone who isn't metagaming (see: p2p) is dead in the water. The presentation of the game needs to be something neutral enough that it can be appealing to everyone. Not hard anime, nor high fantasy. Something nuanced.

Do I win the thread?

Well, the best thing I can think of is a sort of 3-pronged system where victory is contingent upon meeting 2/3 conditions. Also, that the decks themselves realistically only have room to meet 2/3 conditions anyway. That'd be a bit of natural intrigue before the game even begins--people wondering what the other person's deck is built for right off the bat.

As for the types of cards, I wouldn't know where to begin. There could be a great many types without an over-arching theme. Too much diversity right off the bat would be a swift death to the game too.

Only my heart, user.

consider this image stolen, friendo

I remember in another of these threads, someone made some 40k cards. Does anyone have that?

How's this one?

Ehh, feels like it's trying too hard on this one. But I loved the first one, user

Im making my own card game atm that can loosely be described as a fusion of the Final fantasy tactics series with Magic the gathering.

Except everyone plays off the same deck, everything is creatures, and any card can be played face down as a land.

Also
Wtf is a pendulum zone?

Better?

Pendulum zones are this gay as shit they recently made. You put these cards in them that can be used as either monsters or spells, and they come with a special number from 1 to 12.

If you put in your second pendulum card, you can automatically special summon any number of monsters from your hand, provided their levels are somewhere between the two special numbers of the two pendulum cards. It's exactly as cancerous as it sounds.

>Better?
Yes!

I don't know what banished is. I left the game when "removed from play" was becoming a thing with the Different Dimension cards--and I enjoyed those, mind you.

But so long as you keep the weird looking new cards out of my game, we're good.

banished is removed from play. They just got a new fancy word for it, but it sucked.

Now look at how hard Konami's fucked up. Look at this shit!

I read the card 3 times now and i still don't really understand what it does.

The thing that worries me is that it is 3 stars, so theoretically it is weaker than other cards that would be normal summonable.

What are those little gem-looking things?

The special number I mentioned here

RIP Fusion :(

this is cringy as fuck
OP, are you literally 14?

I remember there was a Temari Jutsu in the Naruto Card Game that does pretty much that.

Fusion was a terrible mechanic. It was either awful or too good, depending entirely on whether Polymerization was needed.

I don't know anything about this fucking game but this is fun as hell

Oh my, is it raining?

That's pretty funny user.

I'd like to see some sort of Battle-Catan type of game, like a cross between a tcg/skirmish and catan. No idea how that would work though

if you'd played the game in the last few years you'd know pendulums aren't the problem so much as extra deck cancer like womboing out to Cyber Dragon Infinity or Syncro FTK

I'm certain that when Link Monsters fucking ruin the game, we're all going to be reminded that pendulum zones are still a problem.

pendulum zones are being abolished with link monsters they're now just the 1st and 5th spell/trap zones

The worst part, the ABSOLUTE worst part about Pendulum monsters, is that YOU CANT FUCKING GET RID OF THEM. If you kill them via battle, they go to the Extra Deck (the Fusion Deck) and can then be RESUMMONED by Pendulum Summon. If you destroy the Pendulum Scales (what you refer to them as while they're in the pendulum zones), they ALSO go to the Extra Deck, meaning if you get another Scale out, YOU CAN SUMMON IT. The only way to get these bastards into the graveyard is to directly send them, with cards with the certain text "send to the graveyard". It's so counter-intuitive to everything Yugioh has been. Sure, Synchro and XYZ are stupidly power-creeped, and you can get those out with ease if you get a good engine going, but if you get a BIGGER monster out there or destroy them with a card, they go away and your opponent has to have a backup plan. With Pendulums? "Oh you had to use all three of your monsters to destroy my defense-mode pendulum monsters, but next turn you'll be able to attack now that they're gone? Nah, I just resummon them for literally no cost to me."

GOD I JUST FUCKING HATE PENDULUM AS A MECHANIC AND DONT UNDERSTAND HOW PEOPLE STILL PLAY THIS GARBAGE CAN OF A GAME WIT THIS SHITTY ASS COMPLETELY COUNTER-INTUITIVE MECHANIC THAT HAS BECOME THE LITERAL STAPLE OF ANY DECK.

AND YES I AM PANTS SHITTINGLY ASS BLASTED MAD RIGHT NOW FUCK THIS GAME FUCK KONAMI AND FUCK ANYONE WHO DEFENDS THIS SHITE MECHANIC

Fun Fact
When Pendulum Summoning multiple monsters at once, all of those monsters are considered to have been one summon. Meaning using something like Bottomless Trap Hole or Solemn Strike gets rid of all of their monsters at once and doesn't send them back to the Extra Deck.
Git gud you colossal faggot. Pendulum monsters are no where near as bad as some of the other shit in the game. I don't even run pendulum decks.

Seriously though, the key is to disrupt the pendulum player while they're overextending during their setup or when they're trying to reestablish their board state. Yes they can summon 5 monsters at once, but if you use literally a single card to stop that, then they've likely just blown a fuckton of resources.
There are some utterly degenerate pendulum decks though. That shit I agree is ridiculous.

You'll be happy to hear that the new Link Summoning mechanic and associated rule changes have basically neutered pendulum summoning from the Extra Deck and severely reduced the effectiveness of some Pendulum archetypes.

>if konami invents other gay shit that's banned too
I kekked

link summoning doesn't affect how many pendulums can be summoned from the extra deck, it just forces you to use 2 less spell/trap zones

As it stands that card is useless, because the summoning criteria is considered a special summon.

Correct wording would be "~ can be special summoned by (X), and cannot be summoned in other ways."

>Yugioh VRAINS
>The show's theme is "Take a step forward, and try!", on the premise that kids should start to try things out instead of just giving up at the first try due to being overwhelmed by information.
kek, even the creators know yugioh is too complex for 90% of kiddos to understand

nvm, it does,
fuck konami

Ah, good old self-nullification. Missed ya.

Well?