What should WoTC do for the April 2017 Magic banned/restricted list update?

What should WoTC do for the April 2017 Magic banned/restricted list update?

Standard should adopt a restricted list.

Standard:

Banned:
Felidar Guardian

Restricted:
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar

Unbanned:
Smuggler's Copter

ERRATAS:
Nahiri, the Harbinger: The -2 ability now reads "Exile target Artifact, Creature, or Enchantment". The -8 is now a -9.

Lost Legacy: "Nonartifact" restriction removed.

Crew: Can only be activated at Sorcery speed.

They should follow Konami's example and unban cards, then change their oracle text to make them suck.

Like this?

Jace, the Mind Sculptor
2UU
Planeswalker-Jace
Loyalty: 3

+2: Scry 1
0: Draw three cards, then put two cards from your hand on top of your library in any order. This ability can only be activated once per game.
-1 Return target creature to its owner's hand.
-12: Exile all cards from target player's library, then that player shuffles his or her hand into his or her library.

Or this:

Stoneforge Mystic
1W
Creature-Kor Artificer
1/2

When Stoneforge Mystic enters the battlefield, you may search your library for an Equipment card, reveal it, put it into your hand, then shuffle your library.

XW, tap: You may put an Equipment card with converted mana cost X from your hand onto the battlefield.

Jace would still be great

>Standard
Felidar Guardian is Banned
>Modern
Stoneforge Mystic is Unbanned
>Legacy
Mind Twist is Unbanned
>Vintage
No changes
>1v1 Commander
Oloro, Ageless Ascetic is Banned as Commander
Darevi, Empyrial Tactician is Banned as Commander
Zur the Enchanter is Banned as Commander
Edric, Spymaster of Trest is Banned as Commander
Doomsday is Banned.
>Pauper
No changes

As soon as the last banning hit I knew the crybabies would smell blood. I really hope WotC learned their lesson and doesn't capitulate to the people that won't be happy until the PT winning deck is 20 forest 40 grizzly bears.

Hurr, we have a (completely normal) 3 deck format. Let's ban things and then act shocked that when the duat settles it's a two deck format. And the solution is to ban one of those two decks, is it? What could possibly go wrong?

We're really close to putting standard on the slippery slope to becoming modern minus the huge card pool. The fact that people are talking about banning a deck with less than 30% pic rate is insane to me. When they banned JtMS and stoneforge cawblade was 70%+ of the metagame. Right now the top two decks together barely make up over half. News flash: you aren't likely to create a more diverse environment than this with the limited standard legal card pool. This format is perfectly on par with formats past, and the only ones objectively more diverse were short and right after rotation.

Tl;dr correct B&R announcement for standard:

Emrakuls, copter, RM unbanned. No new bans. Formal apology for previous bans, commitment not to do this in a rotating format again/establishing objective criteria for taking action (70%+ of metagame for a full month)

Memedern is now banned.
Neo-memedern is now a thing, holo-forward.

I don't know if you are joking, but I'm pretty sure those commanders are already banned in duel commander

Modern:
Mox Opal, a Vintage-level card, banned.

>he doesn't know it's a 2 deck meta at the moment

Even so nothing should be banned, save for Gideon, if only because he's the most disgustingly boring staple ever printed that makes all other strategies in white pointless. The problem is WotC adopted a shit design philosophy and now standard is fucked for at least another year.

>Restricted
>Errata
This post is terrible and you should feel terrible.

You're overstating things. You're right that shitters are calling for MORE bans but to "restricted list" this shit and PROMISE not to ban cards in standard would be 100% stupid.

You forgot ssg, ensnaring bridge, blood moon, chalice of the void and Death's shadow.

Have you tried not playing bad formats?

This. Gideon has made cars have almost 45% of the meta simply because it's a super fast aggro deck that can win turn 4, but also has an ungodly strong endgame. He's also incredibly hard to kill because "lol indestructible"

Ban Gideon, save format. They won't do it because he's a Gatewatch member, but they need to.

Have you tried not being a fucking punk?

Gideon isn't the problem. Felizardo Combo Control beats the decks that should beat Vehicles.

>Punk

>people still haven't bought their placeset of lost legacy
you better hurry up, when amonkhet drops the price will skyrocket

>be WotC
>knowingly paring broken chase rare cards
>wait until people figure out which cards are broken
>make bank on NEETS who buy 300 packs at a time to find said rares
>ban them later on

Perfect marketing strategy desu

Print*

People who care about tournaments don't buy packs.

Those cards have to come out of the packs. The players at the table buy singles, but the gamblers buy packs, hoping to get a decent return.

More like drafters+dumb Timmys buy packs. Nobody with a brain buys (standard) packs for singles

Any Standard banning is disastrous for the health of the game. At least three people from my LGS have sworn off Standard forever due to the recent bannings, and I imagine that's not a rare reaction.

That said, it's still probably the best bet now. The format is utterly solved, and Saheeli means there isn't even room for any of the plethora of wacky combo shit Wizards tried so hard to push in the Kaladesh block. None of it can compete with Twin 2.0.

WotC completely fucked the format by deciding efficient answers made new players sad, but at least they seem to realize it. With no answers, the best threat is always going to be extremely oppressive. Good, splashable answers means weaker decks can compete.

WotC has to either accept they've doomed the format for the next year plus, or they have to keep banning things to try to make the format feel less horribly broken than it is.

They should unban some Kill spells in Standard

It's hilarious that anyone thinks Copycat is what's keeping jank combo out of standard. If copycat is on roughly even footing with vehicles, what makes people think their random, zero interaction aetherflux reservoir pile won't just get run over?

Copycat suppressing midrange is a little more plausible (though the currently trendy vehicles->superfriends sideboard plan casts doubt on this too) but even this is far too speculative to warrant rolling the dice on more bans and doing even more damage to consumer confidence. Solved formats don't hurt participation nearly as much as the perception that your deck is one month's good results away from being banned.

I don't know what percentage of people went to copycat after their UW/Emrakul deck got banned, but I have to imagine that of that group a nontrivial number won't be so persevering the second time. Having to buy a new $300 deck every month or two is an economy that a lot of players simply can't afford to participate in.

>It's hilarious that anyone thinks Copycat is what's keeping jank combo out of standard. If copycat is on roughly even footing with vehicles, what makes people think their random, zero interaction aetherflux reservoir pile won't just get run over?
I'm a person who hasn't played Standard for nearly 5 years so I'm going to chime in on a topic I know nothing about.

It seems to me there's very nearly nothing that smokes a Planeswalker and a 1/4 4-mana creature easily in Standard right now. That is certainly my ignorance talking most of the way there but bottom-line, there's no O-Ring; there's shit Vindicate but that's so color restrictive it's not even worth mentioning.

Ultimately, you can just shoot the Reservoir right? It actually gets hated easily.

The Planeswalker is going to do work if it sits. Admittedly a 1/4 is going to do jack shit if it sits around but why does that matter if you're going to just win the game with it?

They need to unban Reflector Mage.

If they can't afford it, they should quit bitching and just play a different game. Bridge, Go Fish, and Crazy Eights are probably more suitable options for plebs.

Duel Commander isn't run by WotC, but starting with Amonkhet WotC is running 1v1 Commander leagues in MODO with 30lp and their own banlist.
>Duel Commander became a sanctioned format before Frontier
Kek.

>The players at the table buy singles
And where do you think the singles come from?
When chase cards get banned Stores that had to open 110 boosters for a single Gideon are the ones that lose.

Frontier is a meme. Just like "Eternal" last year.

WHAT CASUALS WANT:
Standard:
Felidar Guardian is banned
Torrential Gearhulk is banned

Modern, Legacy, and Vintage:
Fetchlands are banned

WHAT POOR PEOPLE WANT:
Pauper is now an officially sanctioned format

WHAT MTGFINANCE WANTS:
All Rares and Mythics released prior to Return to Ravnica that have never been reprinted in non-foil form are now added to the Reserved List.

WHAT COMPETITIVE PLAYERS WANT:
Standard:
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is banned
Reflector Mage is unbanned.

Modern:
Simian Spirit Guide is banned
Jace, the Mind Sculptor is unbanned
Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned
Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned

WHAT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN:
No changes.

I swore off it before then when it became apparent the format was shit.

It was going fine until mm17 had fetches, now everyone can afford to play modern and dont need frontier.

Standard bans: none
Standard unban: echoing truth, lightning bolt, heros downfall, emerakul the promised end, and reflector mage

All other sanctioned formats: no changes

Commander banlist is being curated by wotc, legacy commander (edh) will use sheldons list.

AEtherworks Marvel is banned
Gideon, Ally of Zendikar is banned
Emrakul, the Promised End is unbanned
Reflector Mage is unbanned

>Adding cards to the Reserved List

Horizon Canopy would become a $100+ card overnight. Grove and Bridge $70+. Filterlands, Colonnade, Tar Pit, and Ravine $40+.

And don't even get me started on Rishadan Port...

>Modern:
>Simian Spirit Guide is banned
>Jace, the Mind Sculptor is unbanned
>Bloodbraid Elf is unbanned
>Stoneforge Mystic is unbanned

>Giving DSJ/Junk some of the top performing decks back BBE

Opinion discarded

Standard:
Its shit nothing changes

Modern:
Jace the Mind Sculptor Unbanned
Gitaxian Probe Unbanned

Legacy:
No Changes

Vintage:
No Changes

WOTC Sponsored Duel Commander:
Oloro Banned
Marath Banned
Derevi Banned
Leovold Emmisary of Trest Banned

You forgot tasigur of the solved format for dual commander

Dovin Baanned in Staandaard

WHAT COMPETITIVE PLAYERS WANT:
Standard & Modern:
As formats and ideas are flawed, as such they're banned, all players summarily executed and their bloodlines branded as cuckbreeders and deemed a waste of resources, exiled into the sea.

Maro:
Is branded as what he is, a sniveling kike and flayed, before his kike spawn and family is thrown into the gas chamber.

Only if they're millionaires and can afford Legacy or Vintage

Simple solution, abolish the RL AND start banning people from TCGPlayer if they attempt any buyouts.

UNBAN TWIN

Cat Lady isn't the problem. You know what stops the combo? Any form of creature removal, literally any does the job. As does a shock, which is in the format. The reason Mardu Walker tops right now is cause they just happen to run all the best removal at the moment and they have Gideon to out value everyone else. They need to print better answers outside of Mardu and better burn spells for Burn to be a thing and the format will be fine.

Standard:
Unban Enrakul. Gut that fucking mardu vehicles. That's the deck killing format diversity right now, because it's fast AND hard to remove.
Modern:
Mishra's Bauble. 0-drop do-nothing that self-replaces and feeds the goyf. If Git probe got hit, why not this?

lmao you sure are a cultured and refined individual by playing MTG, truly a wealthy man's hobby (and not just a money sink for dumb neets and nerds)

probe was a manaless peek that cycled instantly

bauble takes a turn to cycle itself and a scry can't really be compared with a peek

>now everyone can afford to play modern and dont need frontier.
Fetches are still >$5

>Fetchlands are banned
Excuse me, what?

>sfm faggot
kill yourself

Fixes Fatal Push :^)

Alright :{

Modern: 8th and 9th edition are banned, Chalice of the Void is banned

Legacy:
Gitaxian Probe is banned
Terminus is banned
Mind Twist is unbanned
Earthcraft is unbanned
Survival of the Fittest is unbanned

>Gitaxian Probe is banned
Of all the cantrips, why?

>Terminus is banned
Not a fan of Miracles?

>Mind Twist is unbanned
>Earthcraft is unbanned
>Survival of the Fittest is unbanned
Meh, I could take it or leave it. I didn't play before SotF was available, so I don't know how much of an issue it was. Mind Twist only seems like it'd be good for Nic Fit, since you want fast mana to reallu make it relevant. Earthcraft seems possibly too good, but might just end up gimmicky.

Is noone else pisses that we cant just get like good balanced sets? I mean fuck we did it successfully for quite a while and now everyone gets one ban and everyone is hungry for them? If anycard in the past x year should have been banned it was coco and I played bant Humans that entire standard season.

Balance is a fucking shit goal. You can't balance with the variety of cards in some of the Eternal formats or even Standard. You can only manage the time-frame with which they kill you.

The best you can do is provide fucking answers and that is where Wizards is sorely lacking right now in Standard. So long as there are answers you have interaction, which makes the whole point of sitting across from a human being and another deck worth someone's time.

The game is just creature-solitaire right now. The reason why Storm is a fucking shit deck is not because of its power, it's because sitting across from the table from it feels like you're wasting your goddamn time watching some guy just masturbate with their cards ignoring everything you are doing - it diminishes everything you're doing when they don't have a mechanical reason to give a fuck.

Countering every single spell they play is more interactive than playing back-to-back Verdant Gearhulks and hitting your opponent. Wrathing or nuking their board or lands or permanents is more of a game than making a million fucking cats or faeries and plowing someone.

They have spent nearly 8 years feeding us this stupid tripe that their market research has revealed that fucking retards don't like getting their dragons removed; turns out that only functional retards who like to play creature-solitaire are not only a minority but have no goddamn idea what makes a good game even if they spend the most money. And now you can sell all the cards you want but events aren't firing, and that is going to have repercussions when even the creature-solitaire players don't get to play their game due to gross lack of attendance.

Removing mechanics like "Protection from X" was the right move; but when you don't have any fucking cards to take advantage of that vulnerable state then you've functionally done nothing. You might as well print "indestructible" on each basic land because there's no goddamn land destruction.