EDH/Commander General

Mix it Up Edition

Old thread: RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
How does your playgroup interact socially when playing and not playing games?

Other urls found in this thread:

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-ish-commander-archangel-avacyn-80)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Play bloodmoon

>How does your playgroup interact socially when playing and not playing games?
In a facebook chat group about playing childrens card games.

>online doesn't count as social interaction
Then I don't have any other social interaction than playing childrens cards games.

it's just me and another friend, we barely hang out if it's not magic related.

i wish there were more mtg players here

Sometimes when we play people start spouting the occasional "meme" and it bothers me somewhat but I have learned to tune it out.

We don't normally talk about our personal lives until we are done with our game for the most part.

We try to talk about new movies coming up or games but in the end things just degenerate.

I guess somewhere along the line we are social enough with each other to want to still play games and be a part of other tabletop games with eachother.

I do play Bloodmoon, have myself a nice mono-red deck that doesn't care what happens, as long as a good time is had at a decent pace. (Deck is not Chaos)

my group just died because the only lgs in town closed

That depends on your definition of 'games'. The 'core' group of my friends mostly get together to play Magic or video games, or watch stuff and just chill. During games there's usually something like Futurama or Home Movies playing on the TV in the background while we're at someone's house, and there's a lot of in-jokes going on.

Ditto, though mine closed in January because the store owner was a prat that ran it into the ground and blamed the customers.

mine closed because the storeowner decided to try running it as a nonprofit and the prices of everything in the store went up.

not gonna spend $5.50 on packs.

We have a series of facebook groups and IM group chats to stay in touch. My playgroup includes a 20+ people and every commander player at 2 lgs'. Some people hang out outside of magic but most people are only together to play magic.

>nonprofit
>prices went up

This doesn't add up

Good user, the more bloodmoons being played the healthier edh will become. Anything more than 3 colors is degenerate.

yeah. also started paying employees in store credit and calling them "volunteers". storeowner was also a landlord for a lot of rental properties in the area so he let all the employees live together in an apartment for free. whole situation was sketchy as hell

You are probably one of the guys I saw tonight at my LGS.

I lost my shit a little bit when I learned Scrylands still come in tapped when you have Bloodmoon out.

I stopped playing blood moon in my mono red deck when I realized what it did together with my Gauntlet of Might.

Na I just got off of work. Anyone playing bloodmoon is a good guy.

Any Dreamfags here feel like redpilling me on Intet? I've been playing Atarka Dragon tribal since I cracked her in the prerelease and she's treated me extremely well, but lately I've been craving some variety.

Here's how I see it:

>Pros for Atarka
-Crazy threat in the command zone that I can reliably get out waaaaay to early and force an opponent to deal with or die

-Simple mana base. Very nearly Mono red, just a splash of green. Get really good mileage out of Nykthos

>Pros of Intet
-More colors means more options. Temur Ascendancy is pretty darn good, as is Sarkhan Unbroken

-Intet's art is fantastic

Sell me on it.

chaos is fun

Man, combo is hard to play on xmage.

I built Kaho, Minamo Historian and I spent some time developing a combo she can use

>needs minamo, school at waters edge and thousand year elixir

>high tide, reset, essence flux
>turnabout, stream of consciousness/mnemonic nexus effect, ghostly flicker/displace

is the infinite mana package, then you can

>Mystical tutor, brainstorm, flicker
>cast blue suns on yourself decking and flashing in teferi and lab maniac
>or loop blue suns multiple times with stream of consciousness and kill each player with draw

it's a really fragile combo but that's what makes it interesting. if you catch the entire board sleeping and win with a combo that is that vulnerable, you earned it. I like that she can hunt for all this on her own though.

This seems like a very bread and butter line, and there are other options (I have The Unspeakable setup in there and I want to cast them all at once someday)

Atarka it is

i'm an atarka player i can't think of any reason to play intet sorry

Red has mana acceleration, thats a feature not a bug.

Does anyone know what the deal is with EDHrec right now? The TappedOut links are missing from every single commander page

i have 1 friend i go with to my game store
i dont know how to get a play groop started or to find one
and everyone at the store seems to be only interested in playing there

Yes, the bug was turning all my opponents nonbasics into painless ancient tombs.

You can repeat the results with mana flare but I can see how that becomes a problem if you dont expect it. How do you deal with opposing red decks getting value off your gauntlet though?

It was mostly the problem of giving the UG decks tons of extra mana.

Red decks are usually weaker (if mono) or don't play a lot of red (if multicolor) so I usually benefit so much more than them that it doesn't matter.

Either way, I really burned myself one game from playing a blood moon with a gauntlet in play and letting them go off.

Nobody plays any mana flare cards in my meta since that's just begging to lose.

anyone got some neato Dralnu lists or tech to share?

storm the fuck off

1v1 Commander Leagues are becoming a thing in MODO with Amonket.
Is there anything you're looking forward to build for the new official competitive eternal format?
How long until Commander GPs and every card that even remotely sniffs of good in Commander is bough out by faggots like Rudy?

I play "mono-red dragons" with Surrak Dragonclaw and Inetet as a backup. Inetet gets you great card advantage. Surrak's no countering is meta specific. It's fun.

Then thats your playgroup.

every card that even remotely sniffs of good in Commander is bough out by faggots like Rudy?

Bro you are behind as fuck, that shit happens all the time. The most recent and retarded one happened earlier this week with Grasp of Fate. Some guy bought every copy he could off of tcgplayer and spiked the price near 50$. It's on the decline now though because the supply was too high for him.

>That feel when you forget to greentext

FUCK

Wish I had people to play Duel with because multiplayer is cancer.

>chaos
>grouphug
>that dude that can't decide who to attack for three minutes
>sitting to the left of the control player
>poor threat assessment

I never got this meme because the 20+ people that play at my LGS all fall closer to the SCG Commander VS crew of Whiny Spike, Calm Spike, Angry Spike and Trolling Johnny. Then I watched Commander Clash.

Hell must be a lot like sitting at a table with Seth and Tomer forever.

Seems to make perfect sense to me.

>step one: raise prices
>step two: close
>step three: make no profit due to shitty business and personal decisions.

Looks like he got his wish.

Those places tend to go downhill quickly.

I'm a landlord and "trade" services with some of my tenants. Like a montly checkup with a dentist, weeklies with a masseuse and service for my car from a mechanic. But having all your retail staff shoved in a single apartment and making sure they can't leave because you don't pay them, sounds like slavery.

Except those guys have little chunks of charisma and are almost entertaining, my playgroup is an LGS full of shitty spikes who try to build Rashmi "powerfully" with cards from Kaladesh and lol random guys.

If Oloro, Darevi and Marath aren't banned, Card Kingdom will stink of shit with their C13 buyout earlier this year.

non-profit

Two years ago my LGS begun charging a flat entrance fee. The owner diversified and went out of his way to include more commodities (ie. a lounge set with consoles, arcades, a bar, airconditioning and some fucking plantlife to look at.

I've been going there for over ten years, and attendance is booming like never before.

What the hell do you mean. What happened with Grasp of Fate proved the supply is too large to have a large impact on price when people try to buy out.

>2013 commanders banned

make it happen wotc, i want my kambal deck to not feel like a shitty oloro

>a bar

Neat, I would pay to have this at an lgs, a liquor license is expensive. Throw in "free" (I shouldn't have to pay quarters I am paying a cover) arcade games to play while dead and shit and I am very much in.

What's the cover charge?

Grasp of Fate is C15 and a shitty card, Oloro and Marath are moneymakers. With Commander becoming a supported competitive format, if they're not banned they'll be far more expensive than Kaalia ever was.

You can't have WPN if you sell booze.
That's why my LGS told WotC to go fuck themselves, they make more money buying from non-WotC approved distributors and all they lost was shitty FNM promos and FTV.
They don't even sell alcohol but the BYOB FNM is the largest in town.

The entrance fee is in Europoors, but if I have to guess it's about 5 Trumpdars. Consoles and pinballmachines are indeed free of charge.

His customers are more then the average MTG player these days, and he gives room to them to schedule their own events. The Super Smash Bros tournaments attracts weird people still though.

Guess I should have clarified. It's a bar, yes, but he serves no alcohol during scheduled MTG events - the owner is very clear about this to his patrons. During FNM/prerelease it's just a place to sit for a soda and some food. Still beats some shoddy vendingmachine.

Grasp was worth more than either of those cards even before the buyout. They will never hit high prices because the only time people will play them is as generals, while grasp of Fate is a solid card that sees play in all sorts of white decks.

>They will never hit high prices because
They're currently banned in 1v1 commander.
Oloro was $12 before getting banned, and DC isn't supported by WotC.
If Oloro isn't banned it'll be $20+ at the least.

Sounds better than a potential playgroup I've found. There's some faggot tossing around an 1800$ Mackenzie Stax Deck, with another Degenerate Gitrog Crucible behind that.

Vial smasher is better 1v1 then Oloro is and is only 8$. I don't think dual commander is the reason by the price decrease. It could have been high because that was during the first print of those decks, and there have been more since.

Vial Smasher is not 4 years old.
It's also not better than Oloro, Oloro broke 30lp duel commander, Vial is having a very strong representation in 20lp duel commander but doesn't do as well in 30lp (leviathan).

If there's something I'm glad about by WotC taking on 1v1 commander from now on is that we'll finally have one single format instead of french/italian/american/faggot lists.

We're all fairly friendly assholes, this drops when games start.

Also looking to build a budget Ruric thar deck since the table has 2 Narsets. Anybody have a list?

Ruric, every ramp spell and lands.
You don't play Ruric to win, you play him to fuck UR players in the ass.

Just netdecked this Budget Commander Deck List featuring the new Innistrad Avacyn.
Since I am still quite new to the whole deckbuilding process i decided to netdeck, testplay it and then later improve it to fit my playstyle even more.
Also bought Land Tax with it. (mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-ish-commander-archangel-avacyn-80)

Did I fuck up tg or is this decklist fine/good to build upon?

a quick glance tells me it's not awful but it doesn't seem that great either

it's also a boros deck

also it doesn't have a skullclamp what the fuck

my question is how she gets red as a commander
>flip is red bordered
>no red costs

Is Scullclamp one of those Commander staples?
As i said, I am quite new and have mostly been playing some of the Commander 2016 Decks
We are pretty casual at our table, we looked over and on EDHREC she is used as a boros commander.
But they also told me that its fine if I just play her as Boros on our table since we werent sure about this either

the flip side of a transform card is the color in the little circle next to the card type. this is included in the color identity of a card.

examples: you can't play garruk relentless in an EDH deck that doesn't have black in its color identity, and archangel avacyn is a boros commander

That's fair

also if you're building an avacyn deck, look for ways to flip her on the turn she comes down. she hits your creatures too, so if you can flip her while they're indestructible that's pretty sweet. also basilisk collar is amazing on her.

Skullclamp is one of the best ways to draw a shitload of cards no matter what color you're in.
Skullclamp is exceptionally useful in red and white because those colors don't normally have any reliable card draw.

Commander games go on for so long that card draw is much more important than it is in order formats. This is on of the reasons why white and red and generally considered weaker colors in EDH.

If you don't have a skullclamp already from your precon deck then I suggest you get one.
It's not necessarily an auto-include (unless you're running a tokens or a lot of 1/1's) but it's just so useful and satisfying that you'll surely find a deck for it at some point.

>thread question
We have Whatsapp group where we discuss mostly MtG in general and arrange our next playsessions.
During game days we usually talk about all kinds of stuff during and off games, with some bantz during game.

Bubble Matrix and Magebane Armor are used frequently I think. Few sac outlets and maybe Diplomatic Immunity, not to mention Pemmin's Aura and Freed From the Real.

Well, it looks like some kind of communist-utopia project

>mtg thread on /v/
>everyone sucking (((rudy)))'s dick
Disgusting
Why everyone who plays magic try to be "le wolf of wall street" xD?

Who the fuck is Rudy?

alphainvestments

So he's one of the assholes doing the buyouts or what? If so, he should kill himself.

>one of the assholes
He's THE asshole trying to make everyone into "top investors" in magic
And people give him money in Patreon so they can buy booster boxes from him

What are some some ways for the table to hate me less if I play superfriends? I just want to play a bunch of planeswalkers while everyone else at the table can still have fun.

I seriously wish that Wizards either puts whole restricted list in banlist for every format or reprints hell out of the cards to piss on that faggot's shoes.

>employees in store credit and calling them "volunteers".
>Landlord
:^) :^) :^)

There's a place by me that requires you to spend 5 dollars every time you come into the store (you can obviously just buy store credit) and the crowd is much much better than the store down the street

>Grasp of Fate is a shitty card
No it's not, it's an excellent card. O-ring and detention sphere see enough play grasp of fate just also is a 3 for 1.
And costs 3 Mana or less

I've only watched his MM17 unboxing, and faggot couldn't stop saying "HASHTAGx" over and over.

It was so cringey and annoying

I'd say avoid Doubling Season, and/or the Planeswalkers that can basically shut people entirely out of the game.

You could also play it Group Huggy, where you throw value at everyone while you also play Planeswalkers for your own value.

Also Riptide Lab!

Put them in a Mardu control shell. Threaten any interaction with loads of removal.

Is it worth running pic related in an almost no-creatures orzhov pillowfort deck? I really like the ability, but I wouldn't really be able to utilize the anthem so I'm wondering if there are better options.

I need more ways to destroy/exile in the form of permanents. Any suggestions? I have No Mercy and that's about it. Stuff like Ghostly Prison just slows my attackers down so I'd prefer something actually disruptive like the Spear of Heliod is

If you're already in black, and can't utilize the Anthem effect, I'd avoid it. No Mercy and things like Hissing Miasma and Ghostly Prison should be enough to deter attackers without you needing to leave mana up all the time.

Just run actual removal.

>If there's something I'm glad about by WotC taking on 1v1 commander from now on is that we'll finally have one single format instead of french/italian/american/faggot lists.

If anything I imagine this will kill the format. There has been a complete lack of consistency in 1v1 rules and banlist. This will be yet another change, but you can bet your ass Sol ring won't be banned if it's controlled by wizards. They will not ban a card that makes their precons illegal to play with in an eternal format.

They're putting 1v1 leagues in. That's absolutely no indication that they're planning on "officially recognizing" French/Duel Commander the way they did with Commander, or that they'll be the ones maintaining the banlist for it- hell, they don't maintain the banlist for REGULAR Commander.

And if you think that all the multiplayer people are suddenly gonna say "Oh, I guess Sol Ring is banned and we start at 30 life now", you're fucking dreaming.

Yeah I'd like to run something similar, but better. Sadly there doesn't seem to be that many options. Also they don't give a shit about life loss so Hissing Miasma is a nah. Ghostly Prison would be good but it's a 99 singleton so I only have one (plus windborn muse)

I do run a lot of removal, but the thing is that my group is a bunch of mongoloids that just like to attack me whenever I have a life total higher than 41, but will immediately give up that plan if they see that I have a single permanent that will slightly inconvenience them if they attack me, and attack someone else instead

So essentially removal doesn't work because they will all line up to attack me as long as I have nothing on my board that will make them choose otherwise

I guess I could go flashing my removal at them 24/7 but I really don't want to keep my mana open for that shit every turn, I'd rather have more passive effects that let me tap out on my own turn to build my board, and be protected on other people's turns

>Ghostly Prison would be good but it's a 99 singleton so I only have one
Wouldn't that exact logic disqualify literally any fucking card we suggest? And disqualify Spear itself? "Oh, it's just one card out of 99, I can't rely on getting it, so I might as well not even put it in".

Fuck dude, at that rate just put in 49 Swamps and 50 Plains.

>But I don't really want to keep my mana open for that shit every turn
>Asking if he should run a card that requires him to leave 1WW up every turn

Ok, I guess you didn't understand what I meant

I have Ghostly Prison. I can't put it in my deck twice. I need more cards that do what it does.

Just run Abyss and Prophyry Nodes

>>>Asking if he should run a card that requires him to leave 1WW up every turn

Yeah obviously it's not much better in that regard, but spot removal is a one-for-one whereas Spear of Heliod is one-for-infinity, which is obviously a lot better when you're playing EDH. I have like 15 draw spells but I still can't go around throwing good removal at every craw wurm that happens to attack me. Most of my removal is multi-use too so it wouldn't be efficient to throw an Anguished Unmaking at some dumb combat damage pleb's creature. I can't load my deck with cheap kill shit either, I have to maintain card quality and card advantage in my deck you know

Imo trying to 1v3 the table with spot removal is just stupidity. I mostly just use it to snipe out specifically harmful threats and wincons, and leave the semi-threats for other players to worry about

Sphere of Safety, Peacekeeper, Crawl Space, Archangel of Tithes, Aurification, Blazing Archon, Island Sanctuary, Magus of the Moat, Lightmine Field, Michiko Konda, Mystic Barrier, Norn's Annex, Ensnaring Bridge, Forcefield, Glacial Chasm, Dread, Koskun Falls, Teysa, Envoy of Ghosts

Koskun Falls, sphere of safety, norn's annex.

There are a few things that are the same.

Jesus Christ your bad. I mean, it's fine to be that way, just don't try to argue that your badness is good.

prove it

You're trying to build a "pillowfort" deck yet you seem to not know any pillow fort cards other than Ghostly Prison and No Mercy, and your 'solution' to your opponents 3v1ing you is to try to match them one-for-one with spot removal instead of looking into more pillow fort cards or running wrath spells. You also keep contradicting yourself- they "won't attack you if anything would impact them", but they attack through Hissing Miasma effects. You "don't want to leave mana up every turn", but you'd play Spear of Heliod.

>You're trying to build a "pillowfort" deck yet you seem to not know any pillow fort cards other than Ghostly Prison and No Mercy

i know plenty but most of them are too shit to be included

>and your 'solution' to your opponents 3v1ing you is to try to match them one-for-one with spot removal

i actually said the exact opposite and you can't read at all

>instead of looking into more pillow fort cards or running wrath spells

i'm actually doing that at this very moment

>You also keep contradicting yourself- they "won't attack you if anything would impact them", but they attack through Hissing Miasma effects

hissing miasma doesn't impact the board at all. paying 1 life to attack with a 7/7 isn't really a big deal. it's not worth the slot. however, losing that 7/7 in the process, or not being able to attack in the first place is meaningful

>You "don't want to leave mana up every turn", but you'd play Spear of Heliod.

i'd rather not leave mana open after my turn, but it's better to leave mana open for a spear of heliod than spot removal, because using spot removal always puts you behind in card advantage, whereas using spear of heliod doesn't. spear of heliod is also more political and it deters "i'll just attack him over and over, he will eventually run out of removal" play, whereas spot removal is a one and done kinda thing

please, do not reply to me again.

>Most pillow fort cards are shit, but I'm "looking into" more because I only knokw 5