GW Releases 8th Edition Rules Concepts

warhammer-community.com/2017/03/23/warhammer-40000-news-from-adepticon/?utm_source=GamesWorkshop.com&utm_campaign=f45715e238-23rd March AdeptiCon news US&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_c6e14e39d2-f45715e238-113326525

The gist of it:
>They're bringing in the "3 Ways To Play" concept from AoS.
>They want to introduce Command Points to "reward players who structure their army like their in-world counterparts" (which is funny, because I thought that was the whole point of formations)
>The Move value will probably be coming back, which means Datasheets will probably be replaced with AoS-style warscrolls.
>They want to replace AP with Armor Save Modifiers to "better represent how you imagine them working in your head."
>Charging units will get some sort of Initiative bonus (no more >I2 Ork memes)
>Morale is no longer all or nothing; units who fail morale checks take additional casualties but keep fighting. Also, it sounds like ATSKNF, Fearless, and Zealot are either getting squatted or reworked so that morale affects everyone.
>Sisters of Battle are mentioned in passing (keep the faith alive, sisters!)

Penny for your thoughts, Veeky Forums

WE SIGMAR NOW

The fluff bit sounds nice, but unless they get rid of formations (unlikely since they'd have to replace tons of books) it doesn't seem enough.

Move value actually sounds nice, super special warscrolls for every unit sounds shit

Charging = Ini buff sounds stupid, the extra attack is fine

Morale sounds idiotic.

>Penny for your thoughts, Veeky Forums
IMO
>more special rules
>more "armies" like AoS armies with lack of units variety pushing by Allegiance system
Well if current 40k in theory could be fixed this one will never be finished

>No Squats mentioned

DROPPED
R
O
P
P
E
D

>>Morale is no longer all or nothing; units who fail morale checks take additional casualties but keep fighting. Also, it sounds like ATSKNF, Fearless, and Zealot are either getting squatted or reworked so that morale affects everyone.

We battleshock now

The fact that they're dropping these ideas online makes me hope for community testing in the near future.

Love the movement and save modifier ideas. I truly hated the ap system. Autocannons could take down medium vehicles but many infantry armor was proof against them... made no sense.

Also, tau and humans being as fast as genetically modified power armor augmented super soldiers made no sense.

What I'm really worried about is morale. Some units will be impossible to break despite having mediocre leadership, which doesn't make sense. Also I think it doesn't properly take into account unit size. It means swarm/horse/tarpit units may suffer badly with leadership even though they haven't proportionally lost a lot.

i look foward to the rage at release

It wasn't phrased as an initiative buff from charging, it was phrased more like AoS, where each player takes turns alternating units in combat, in whatever order they prefer, with the active player getting priority. So if you only have one unit in combat in your assault phase, that unit will hit first, but if you have two units in combats you have to choose which one to activate first, and your opponent may choose to hit that unit back or to activate the unit in the other combat. It adds a layer of real strategy, not just rock-paper-scissors.

That sounds fucking stupid. So my Guardsman can hit before a daemon prince if there is another combat that your enemy really needs to go first on?

It's a huge indirect buff to low I armies.

>Morale sounds idiotic.
It sounds like AoS Bravery which is simple and neat

such as....orks

They're obviously at least going to pretend to rebalance that stuff. And it just means you can't rely on always going first, finally a possible nerf for eldar. I do agree though, I can imagine units like power klaw nobz actually becoming useful, and depending on how hard they go on the armour modifiers, units like meganobz and terminators could be absolute garbage or the next stupidly broken thing.
Swarm units will probably get some equivalent to old mob rule, where they get bonus leadership depending on the size of the squad. Still could be broken though.

Squats have been moved to the Age of Sigmar universe.

>They're bringing in the "3 Ways To Play" concept from AoS.
was literally already in though unless i'm missing something ? or are they just going to add an extra line that says you can play without points now ?
>They want to introduce Command Points to "reward players who structure their army like their in-world counterparts"
let's hope they release it across the board and not codex by codex like in aos , cause armies with faction specific traits and bonuses destroy those without them
>The Move value will probably be coming back,
it's a bit of extra depth i guess though i fail to see the point of adding extra bloat to 40k while it's already bloated enough
>They want to replace AP with Armor Save Modifiers to "better represent how you imagine them working in your head."
love it, cookie cutter lists have finally become viable, no need to worry about your hellhound becoming a waste of points if you're playing agaisnt marines for example, hope it translates well into 40k though
>Charging units will get some sort of Initiative bonus
i think they specifically mention attacking first , wich is great , just the buff that melee needed, and risking a longer charge is now well worth it
>Morale is no longer all or nothing; units who fail morale checks take additional casualties but keep fighting.
good finally more is a factor instead of a flunked roll once every 6-10 games,
But larger units need some sort of compensation (other than the +1 morale per 10 they get in aos) to still keep them viable , a lot of larger units get bonuses the larger they are , stuff like that needs to be in 40k as well, or you will be actively handicapping yourself by forming larger squads

consensus : i am exited as all these changes are great on paper but they will need to be supported with rules tweaks for certain units

Morale sounds better than now.

In current 40k you could just remove morale alltogether since everything is fearless or atsknf

did not mean to quote

>Armour save modifiers. This topic comes up almost as often as Sisters of Battle… so we’re going to bring them back
Really makes you think.

I'd say it will be like unbound, some narrative scenarios and standard matched play

You also didnt mean the word consensus

That's no reason to chuck the baby out with the bathwater.

>The Move value will probably be coming back

Could it be that they're actually undoing some of the mistakes of the transition to 3rd edition? Holy fucking shit.

Unless it has down syndrome

I'm just curious on how Tau bonding knives will work with the new moral system.

>being this ableist

I'm lovin' it.

40k needs to ripped apart and burned and written anew. There is no other way to improve the game enough

Every section of this article says: "We don't understand our own product"

>General's handbook sells well, must be because we put optional game modes, not because it's necessary for competitive play.
>having stats that are unique to models means you only have to learn your army, not literally every profile.

Once again you miss the big detail right in the middle of it all.

>"We think the Move value should come back. No more default unit types. Every model should have cool bespoke rules. Not only would that be more fun, but it’ll mean you will only need to learn the rules for your models."
>"No more default unit types. Every model should have cool bespoke rules."
>"No more default unit types"

Good bye Bikes,
Good bye Flying Monsterous Creatures
Good bye Beasts
Good bye Vehicles???

those two made me raise my eyebrows as well
>the other two game modes where already in but this book that's necessary to play with points is really popular , surely that's because of the 2 modes that where already available !

>in our infinite wisdom we have decided to scrap the standard 10 movement profiles, now you have to learn each and every single model separately , isn't that so much easier ?

Vehicles at a minimum will be a standard rule, flying will be a standard rule, monstrous creature (or Huge or something) will be a standard rule, beast probably won't be.

Excuse me GW but, with the new moral check system am I out of a job shooting conscripts?

Hey kids get in the Bolt action pool the water's fine

>bikes
>if you equip your units with bikes then add X movement!
>space marine bikes move 6+6" still
>eldar bikes now move 7+8" because eldar are so fast
>Ork bikes move 4+4" because Orks are not supposed to be good :^)

>They want to replace AP with Armor Save Modifiers
I am perfectly okay with all of this.

>riptides are faster than marines on the charge
>Slaanesh marines striking last against charging loyalist marines
>genestealers getting beaten up by charging guardsmen
It's like you can't see how this will all go wrong.

Forgot my pic, I'm bad at shitposting.

The lack of standardized unit types is a big fucking red flag to me.

I don't know if I want the typical 40k players inside BA

Someone already made a 40K Bolt Action supplement.

That all makes sense tho. Something that is moving tends to be faster than something that isn't.

okay, well it's a rather flexible ruleset (antares is based on it too, and it's SciFi as well)

But anyway I don't think 40k players would appreciate the way BA structures the army lists (despite being a rather "arcade" historical, you are still stuck with 0-1 tank/car per platoon, not "3" heavy choices + "3" fast ones etc etc.)

>"WE ARE NOT DOING 40k END TIMES GUYS"

Right, so shooting units will still be able to dominate melee units because now weapon skill AND initiative are completely meaningless.

>Having to buy all new codex, mission cards and shit

That's the part that pisses me off, i like my Chaos dex albeit how old the fucker is, i like traitors legions, and i like GSC

I play Sigmar too but the books are patheticly skinny in comparison. Ironjawz book you get a half page of lore for each unit, 3 fluff stories, 3 missions, warscrolls, and fuck all else

Don't like the sound of charging for initiative either but if it's turn based like aos then maybe it could work

i like owning real books but fuck it, going down the pirate path if need be

Firstly, there is no reason a shooting list would ever charge at you when they'd be close enough to rapid-fire instead.
Secondly, if you're the melee-focused army and THEY're the ones that manage to get of the charge, you're playing badly and probably deserve to lose.

Spotted the Eldar player.

The AoS rules are objectively better than 40k.

I see no issue here at all.

As a Necron player these are all direct buffs to me.
>Low Initiatives go first on charge
>AoS-like morale for a ld10 army
>AP replaced with save modifiers (still get RP)
>reward players who structure their army like their in-world counterparts (spamming wraithknights and riptides punished)

>Shooting armies will dominate
>At charging enemies

right now in AoS, the biggest counter to all the fast shooting spammy armies are Melee Armies that are tough as fuck.

I play guard mate. I think Eldar should be I4. The problem is that if you have two high I units in combat on any given turn, one of them can get reamed first because "Be nice and take turns hitting each other :^)"

Saying that I like the idea of an I bonus on charge, a good incentive to actually do melee again.

Eldar should hit before shit tier humans and orks etc, because the eldar are FASTER.

>Eldar never get caught with their pants down

w/e nerd

Not when they're standing still.

Jokes aside, you're forgetting the most important part of this: different units will have different movement values. Your Eldar are probably gonna be dashing across the board faster than anyone else, and will thus have a better chance to get into favourable charge-range than your opponent. All you have to do is play as well as your opponent and not make dumb tactical moves, and you're fine.

I like the sound of it all, sure it could turn out to be awful but it could also turn into a game that rewards you for outmaneuvering your opponent and engineering situations that benefit you.

Too little info to make any judgment besides knee-jerk bitching but Im glad 40k is getting some sort of re-haul.

I never thought am going to say this, but given the changes I think Ill move on to aos and play the pirate squats.

Also who thinks that loyalist marines are going to have rules to let them ignore battleshock ?

>Firstly, there is no reason a shooting list would ever charge at you when they'd be close enough to rapid-fire instead.
...unless they have relentless and can do both like riptides, wraithknights and bikes of all stripes can.

Yeah so make them I4, still faster than regular human but they shouldn't be faster than a fucking space Marine for fuck sake.

If GW isnt dumb then they could do ATSKNF work like the 30k marines, their leadership never changes but they are still able to break morale, so marines would still be affected by battleshock but their leadership value would be unaffected by casualties so they take less casualties.

What should be faster than a space marine?

Vespids

eldar are faster than space marines u cuck

Sigmarines don't

They have Bravery 7-8 acoss the board, but being 2 wounds each it's painful when one flees.

They do have Celestant heroes that protect essentially fearless bubbles

Actually elite units. Not every unit in the fucking eldar book.

Yes they should. Eldar are superhuman beings, and are consistently describeds in terms that make them sound way faster than marines. They fucking move so fast that human eye has hard time tracking them. Initiative 5 is perfect for them.

>Teleports behind you
>Nothing personnel kid

Wrong. Baseline eldar having initiative 5 is perfectly fine. They are superhuman beings after all.

Oh boy, the bosspole will be even more useless.

they could you know change the rules for bosspole

crazy right

Yes, that is their thing. While marines are tough and strong, the eldar are fast. There is absolutely nothing wrong with that.

I was hoping you would say Genestealers.

In Age of Sigmar, shoots units are allowed to shoot in the shoot phase even if they are currently engaged in melee. This was confirmed by FAQ, so it's not a rules hole.

Do you think GW will make 40k act that same way?

>Pile in on wraith knight
>Hold on I'm just going to point this fucking d cannon at my feet

Sounds about right though.

I fucking hope not.

Rip my Evil Sunz army

If it means the removal of overwatch and random charge distances then Im ok with it.

So what you're saying is, units that don't really need or care about higher initiative will have a slightly higher initiative?

Like, you're aware that this is just gonna be a +1 to initiative or something stupid like that, right? This isn't gonna be AoS "charging units always go first no matter what." This is gonna be i3 Riptides and i6 Wraithknights and i7 Skyweavers; its about as meanignless an upgrade as those things can get.

Until GW does a full fucking line of Codexes BEOFRE realeasing a new edition they aren't going to see a penny from me. These ADHD motherfuckers need to finish the projects they already have before they start new ones.

>I'm glad Move values are coming back so that my Space Marines can finally be the fastest infantry like they ought to be
>I'm glad charging changes initiative now so that Eldar can lose I value and let my Space Marines hit first like they ought to

Is the first thing you think of when reading about edition changes really "my marines will finally have the best numbers, just like in muh fluff"?

>They want to replace AP with Armor Save Modifiers
>Charging units will attack first

Good. That means I can start giving chainaxes to my tacticals and send them running.

I like that units can't shoot during melee in 40k, but at the same I don't. At least let us fire blast weapons and stuff into them from other units. :c

I suppose all the TL formations are still gonna be valid

Get a unit with jump packs and give them all 2x power fists. :D

Better yet, orks on bikes with two power claws.

I doubt it'll affect power firsts

>units that fail morale take additional casualties
> mob rule table continues to rape my severely prolapsed green anus

Anyone want to buy an ork army?

Get yourself together. It's unethical to suggest that able people ought not be able and disabled people ought not be disabled due to personal sensitivities.

Marines shouldn't be particularly fast

If it says charging units attack first, the fists attack first.

Or you could not be such a cancer causing shitlord sweetie ;)

Huehuehue.

>le
>>you only need to know your own warscrolls
>meme
no, you don't. you need to know the warscrolls of your opponent and if you play tournaments, that means every warscroll

>Until GW does a full fucking line of Codexes BEOFRE realeasing a new edition
So, you want them to release a bunch of books and then immediately invalidate all of them, instead of releasing everything at once? Are you clinically retarded?

>unit of chaos fist- termintors
>alpha legion lord with the midnveil
>3D6 movement
>Str8 ap2 striking first
LOOK AT ME NOW LOYALISTS, LOOK AT ME NOW

>Space marines are faster than Eldar

Veeky Forums everyone, you can't make this shit up.

THIS IS A CLEAR TRIAL BALLON
They are testing to see how the gaming community reacts to the suggestion of AOSifying 40k.

I don't know what that means.

Here's some advice. Toughen up or be more objective and ethical in your interactions with people instead of needing to be coddled.

Hate me now, thank me later.

will i finally get terminators that are not slow as fuck and can get something done for a change?