MTG Modern General

Let me just start off by saying that I literally love playing against aggro. Literally nothing makes me happier than playing against Solely Death's Shadow, and Eldrazi every single round at Wednesday night Modern. These linear as fuck slam big guys decks are fucking cancer, 100% I am really tired of these decks, and I really think that wizards should try to support control and combo more. And Tron is not Control.

What do you guys think of the meta?

What deck are you currently playing?

Does any deck interest you currently? I felt that that BUG delirium deck looked pretty fun myself.

What is your favorite kind of playstyle?

Do you like the new mechanic from Amonkhet?

Post a brew or idea you have and I personally as OP will give suggestions or ideas that you won't care about.

>RESOURCES:
>Current Modern Metagame
>mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO
>mtggoldfish.com/metagame/modern
>DATABASES:
>magiccards.info
>gatherer.wizards.com

Thoughts about Gideon AoZ in W/B tokens?
Or Elspeth as a high-mana payoff?

I play Ponza!

I don't even play fish you assdevestated retard. Burn is quite literally count to 20. That's all it does. Sometimes bolting a goyf or thalia isn't something that needs to be factored into describing the deck.

Fish has to at least interact to win some matchups.

Can we start the thread off without your autism please?

I'm going to build owling mine because it's always appealed to me. A touch of red for runeflare trap.
What I need to do is stand up to a non-top-tier burn/aggro deck.
This isn't for something super competitive, and there's no real meta, it's just a little event next month that's most likely going to be run only with friends.

Not big on Elspeth personally. Like her -3 is real good in this meta, probably the best it has been in a while, but regardless
>6 mana
I think Gideon is pretty solid in the deck. I would suggest running him desu, maybe 1 or 2 to test, but I think you'd be happy with him.

>What do you guys think of the meta?
Pretty good at the moment, DSJ is just a flavor of the month meme deck and as such will fade away. Blue and Control overall could use a bit of help though, unbanning Preordain, JTMS and maybe Stoneforge doesn't seem that format breaking when there are far more degenerate things you can be doing.

>What deck are you currently playing?
Affinity, Abzan CoCo

>Does any deck interest you currently?
I'm getting into Eldrazi & Taxes, would really appreciate any user who was experience with the deck

>What is your favorite kind of playstyle?
Either synergistic decks like the one's I'm playing (with an extra coating of synergy in Affinity's case) or straight up good old Blue based control which is dead in this format

>Do you like the new mechanic from Amonkhet?
No. It's just a meme take on Flashback. Straight up Flashback would have been better.

Mono blue really doesn't have great answers to burn and aggro unfortunately. I legitimately can't think of any cards you'd actually want to play in blue to deal with that.

No.

aetherspouts? good turn 5 (unless I miss a land drop, the deck will shit draw)

What do you guys think of the meta?
>Don't play enough to comment but I have fun
What deck are you currently playing?
Skred walkers, forest belcher
Does any deck interest you currently?
R/B control
What is your favorite kind of playstyle?
Non-U control, land destruction
Do you like the new mechanic from Amonkhet?
JUST

Do I build esper or UW control? Esper charm seems sick but getting to run 4 mainboard spreading seas sounds insanely strong

Dragon's claw and spellskite

>Turn 5
>vs Burn and Aggro

Try running Sun Droplet or Master of Waves or something

Correct me if I'm wrong but he definitely meant one of the 4 mana elspeths.

>Master of Waves
ace in the hole right there
love protection

Well I figured he meant bigspeth cause he said a high mana payoff

I meant big elspeth.
I don't have a list made and I don't know how often that B/W tokens even gets to 6 mana, but her abilities all seem to fit in well with the deck. Should you miss your bitterblossoms or they get removed or something, having a token generator that shits out 3 1/1s a turn seems good to me, especially if you're out of lingering souls and whatnot. I haven't played it yet though, I'm still brewing.

Just to clarify, since the judge thread is really slow

this can hit uncounterable spells, right?

Yep

Socratic answer: Does it say, "Counter target spell"?

Non- Socratic answer: yes, it can hit uncounterable spells.

>>What do you guys think of the meta?
Too much Eldrazi

She's too big for tokens imo. Gideon is solid as well as Sorin solemn visitor. His +1 and an intangible virtue add really fast clock to your lingering souls.

Thanks. I was 99% sure it can, but I had a long argument with someone about this and I actually had me doubting for a minute

>1 mana 10/10s and 2 mana 7/8s
Is there literally any more of a meme format?

>pepe
>hating on the newest meme deck
Wew

You can meme any format, though

>Vintage: Shops: the Format
>Legacy turn 1 wins
>Standard kiddie pool
>EDH/Commander "Spirit of the format"

Vintage is more more mentor decks rn desu

Frontier; new-meme format

Pauper; magic for poorfags

>2HG
>Having friends to play with

>Couple new people join the group which mostly plays EDH
>They are interested in Modern
>My sub-optimal Naya Zoo destroys them
>Build a terrible but fun Dragon Tribal deck which is all about ramping into dragons
>That destroys them to

How do I make them better Magic players?

You don't.

It'll either end up in them hating you or stuff like
>hurr durr tryhard fag
going on later, happened to me.
If they won't want to learn on their own or even ask for advice, don't bother.

Why the hell do people always recommend solemn visitor over lord of innistrad? I mean, they do similar things, but i cant see how solemn visitor is ever ultimately better.

Sorin, solemn visitor
+1
>Puts you ahead further if you already have a strong board state
>Delaying the inevitable at best if you are behind
>A 2/2 repeatable flyer isn't bad, but cmon, it cost 4 mana. And what are you going to do with it? Because it's dead as a blocker to every threat in the format, and if you want to attack with it, again, you'd best be ahead on board state.
Ult
>Creature based decks probably lose, starting next turn

Vs

Sorin, lord of innistrad
+1
>Infinitely repeatable blocker that gains you life, stalling a disadvantageous board state indefinitely until you can establish a presence other wise
>Buff all your tokens forever, probably doubling your power on board
>Repeatable once the game swings in your favour, closing the game effectively
Ult
>Remove and grab their best stuff, ready to probably swing for lethal next turn.

To add to my post just build a casual but fun as shit deck to play with them.

I splice Desperate Ritual into Peer Through Depths with Electromancer/Baral on the table.

Do I pay 3 or 2 mana for splicing mentioned spells?

Ask gA, our friendly neighborhood judge.

I agree that lord of Innistrad is probably better in tokens but I play one sad Sorin in Abzan and it's pretty big game for a meme card

Electromancer does not reduce splice cost as it is an ability of the card

Except you're wrong.

he's right, it doesn't reduce splice costs. It will however reduce the new, higher cost of Peer Through Depths

The spell that you're splicing it onto is still a spell. The splice ability is not a spell, and will not be effected by electromancer's ability.
It'll be 3 mana.

which deck should I finish building, ur gifts storm or uw spirits?

Why doesn't Grishoalbrand run this instead of Worldspine? Is it because Worldspine is a better Breach target if need be?

Read the rules again.

>Splice is an additional cost
>Rule 601.2f boils down to: CMC +Additional Costs - Reducuctions = total cost of the spell

Peer Through Depths + Spliced Desperate Ritual + 2 Goblin Electromancers = total cost of UR

That is exactly why.

How is Autochton an improvement in any way?

Storm

Spirits is strongest when it's Bant

Because 90% of the time you're Nourishing Shoaling it

That's exactly what I said, it doesn't reduce splice costs, it reduces the new higher cost of the spell.

If you splice Consuming Vortex (3U) onto Dance of Shadows (3BB) with two electromancers in play, the final cost is 4UBB
which is 2 less regardless of whether you spliced or not.

4 more life is not worth losing the effectiveness of Breaching it.

i'd estimate that between a quarter and a third of my wins come by breaching wurm and out of those games extremely few would have been won with a single combat with a 9/14 trampler
The fact that worldspine lets you swing 15 trample two turns in a row makes it a reliable wincon whereas 9 damage will pretty much never kill an opponent on its own. You'll lose far more games to not being able to close with a breached autochthon than to gaining 4 less life with worldspine imho

Old player coming back to the game and I have 0 experience with any of the modern decks that are decent right now so I wanted to ask if there are any good Tier 1-2 maybe even 3 that are like gimmicky decks or combo decks.

Ad Nauseam and Scape/Titanshift. The most boring decks you can play.

Scapeshift, Grishoalbrand, Storm, Cheerios

how's my meme deck /modern/?

>why would you play this over BW processors?

there's really no reason I just wanted to brew something UB that was a little outside of the norm

t. 2012

Is RG land destruction supposed to be good against Death's Shadow? I keep seeing it everywhere and I'm starting to get fucking annoyed

Yes and no. If they land a fast threat you'll struggle to get it off the board, but DSJ only runs like 5 land that generate mana.

Who esper draw go here?

I'm on the receiving end of the land destruction
I think I'm just playing this deck poorly, it feels so awkward to me

Another question as the new player, is Modern Masters 2017 packs worth buying?

No

Do you have a more recent pic?

Sad Sorin is better when you're ahead of your opponent, when you're behind Lord of Innistrad is better. The question is: why play Lord of Innistrad over Knight-Errant, as Elspeth is better at recovering from a bad boardstate.

This is the most recent as far as I'm aware. I have no idea exactly how up to date the decks are.

No, we should make one

How is Knight Errant better at recovering from anything? Lord of Innistrad fogs while gaining you life. And his ultimate basically wins the game.

>What is going on
>eternal command
>I've heard of this
>hulk footsteps

These should be switched

Then switch them. Hell, I'm not the user who made it, make any changes you want.

hi i'm the user who made it. you're right and i definitely need to rework the confusion-level branches

Right here senpai

There's nothing but control mirrors (jeskai, grixis, UW) so all my matches have been going to time

Sphinx's rev for 15 then Secure the Wastes for 11 reporting in

>there exists a format wherein magic is actually fun and interesting
>nobody plays it because it is too cheap

Pauper doesn't make sense

>tfw i haven't played for 6 months and I still haven't picked up my foil copies of fatal push yet

>Mono Blue Delver
>Fun and interesting
El Em Ay Oh

I actually play the poorest version of magic there is. Pauper is a tier above in terms of investment cost.

Its called stack, and everyone plays off the same deck, and shares a graveyard. Any card may be played facedown as a land, which taps for many of any color, and is all basic land types.

My stack is entirely composed of trash cards that my friends who have played magic for years gave to me. I have about 300 of them now with few repeats, and have payed literally nothing for them. I bring the stack with me in a cardboard box. It has become a staple of my backpack.

I also bought a bunch of sleaves, and i proxy cards to play real decks. My magic investment is literally about 6ish dollars at this point in time, which was just the sleeves.

Am i the poorest of poorfags?

You disgust me desu please kill yourself

>implying UB teachings isn't fun and interesting
>implying tortured existence isn't fun and interesting
>implying reality acid
baka

You're not even playing Magic at that point, bro. Why would you even do this?

its probably fine but it's not going to be good. Part of what makes eldrazi scary is that they can be powered out quickly. In Bant you can get TKS on turn 2, and Eldrazi tron can starting plopping down huge things quickly. UB Eldrazi forfeits both of those in favor of pretty much nothing. I guess you'd do slightly better against Ad Nauseam because you have discard and counters but it's bad outside of that. Strangler is probably going to be a 3 mana 3/2 most of the time since you don't have many exile outlets and gravehate doesn't need to be maindecked these days so those are pretty bad draws. You're even in blue and black and don't have any interesting eldrazi from those colors, if you're going to get wonky at least play Jeskai Eldrazi with Obligators bro

Her other +1 stabilizes you hard, and is way more profitable than Sorins -2 when we consider "bad boardstate" situation. Her ult is as game ending as Sorin's (thought you're way more likely to ult her rather than Sorin).

>DSJ only runs like 5 land that generate mana
I know I shouldn't but I'm gonna

I don't think you're looking at the correct Elspeth.

I've played pauper before. Those decks aren't fun

They're gonna have lands by the time you cast this

He does proxy to play real decks. So long as the proxies are actually printed in color and he makes the effort to get the medium-res scans of the cards so you can see them across the table that puts him several steps above the effort I see from most players who bitch and moan about not having cards.

Generally, I treat pauper as a format motherfuckers get to play because their community is fucking massive and can support all the other formats and they're so bored they can explore niche formats like Pauper. It's funny to say, but Pauper is the format of kings - it implies you play in a big city where FNM fires whereas everyone else playing in the styx are having issues getting Standard to fire.

As far as I'm concerned he's doing it right - better than most of us. Getting the best of the game through proxies. I'm at the point where I'm actually hostile at towards the idea of giving Wizards money; I'm sorry my store has to suffer for it but it's a fucking shit company how they're doing things.

I think Stack magic is kinda horrible but at this point I'd play anything just to get to play Magic. But I think giving Wizards money is even more horrible by several degrees of magnitude.

FNM used to have at least 20 people and fill the store. The "regular" player-base was somewhere around 50 people. 100 different people show up for prereleases. Now FNM barely fires. People show up, hyped, gotta go home because there aren't even 5; week after week it was less and less and finally people just stopped showing up.

>duskmantle mindcrank

I always thought that was just an EDH meme

Obviously it isn't tier 1, but is it viable?

>Gravehate doesn't need to be main decked these days
I agree with most of what you said, But all my decks that run scooze went up a scooze main, and everything that hits graveyard went up a bit. Grave hate is real nice these days against DSJ

Yeah it's viable. It's a 2 card combo for 4 total mana that wins as soon as they take damage or mill a card. Well I guess 7 mana, but yeah it's still pretty decent.

That's fair, but scooze is a much better card than a relic, it's not really fair to compare the two

Shut the fuck up you fucking retarded piece of shit what the fuck is wrong with you? I'll fucking fight you I swear to Christ meet me anywhere I'll fucking destroy you.

I'd like to see you try, netdecker

Lmao
>yfw proxy fags have no memes cause they're autistic and no one likes them

Nigger, I wasn't talking about proxies (which I literally don't care about). I was talking about him not even playing by the game rules.

>300 card shared deck
>any card face down as a land with all basic land types

He is not actually playing Magic, but a bastardized house- ruled game using Magic cards.

By the time you can cast that, DSJ will probably already have 3 lands, and the deck can do fine off just 2.
Also, don't know where the guy is getting 5 from. There's 6 lands that produce mana in the deck, but godless shrine is largely inconsequential

Reprint dark ritual desu.

>TKS enters
>trigger on the stack, enemy dismembers
>last card in his hand
>kills TKS, draws a card
>its his Ulamog
>mfw

new waverly tx I -45 chevron truck stop on exit 103 southbound/102 northbound

Ill fokin rek u cunt

>little Texan from backwatersville trying to act big on the internet

You're so cute.