sgiz.mobi/s3/068d0a122041

>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove v4b
mega.nz/#F!z8pBVD4Q!UIJWxhYEWy7Xp91j6tztoQ

>Pastebin with resources:
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>5etools
5egmegaanon.github.io/5etools/5etools.html

>Previously, on /5eg/...
What do you think about artificer, gunsmith artificer in particular? Are you fine with guns appearing in every official setting, like dragonborn and tieflings did?

First for fuck PAM Paladins.

They're boring with how frequently they turn up; go wield some swords already, fags.

I'm fine with them. Don't care about official settings. If I want a setting without guns, I will make one for use in home games. If I want a setting with guns, I will also make one for home games.

Sure, guns are funs.

Since they're meh at best, in my opinion, I don't care.

Unless you build like Percy from Critical Role with Mercer's version then you're just that guy.

Last night our group spent 15 minutes figuring out how fast a person falls in a game of DnD. The ranger's flying dinosaur pet knocked my necromancer off his tower. I didn't want him to die this early in the encounter, hoping that he could cast dimension door before he hit the ground. We eventually came to determine that when a creature falls, the time of the fall is irrelevant and the creature is, for mechanical purposes, already fallen. The Necromancer survived but took a healthy dose of damage, and didn't last longer than a few rounds.

What's your stance on this, /5eg?

>What do you think about artificer, gunsmith artificer in particular? Are you fine with guns appearing in every official setting, like dragonborn and tieflings did?
I'm fine with it.
It works well, and my player with a gun has done 0 damage with it because he seemingly can't shoot in a straight line.

If I remember correctly there should be something that says how fast something falls in either the PHB or the DMG.

What are some creative uses for Polymorph that you can think of or have used?

Nope. There's no literature on how many feet a creature falls in one six-second turn. We settled on using rough mathematics based on the actual speed of a falling human once it reaches maximum velocity. I wanted to think the tower was tall enough to give my Necromancer a chance to cast Dimension Door before he hit the dirt. Unfortunately, after doing the math, I determined he would hit the ground well before the Ranger's turn was over. I don't use a screen and I stick to the results of all my rolls, so even as DM I can't have too much control over an encounter.

A round is six seconds. In the first round after having started falling, 200-210 feet covered, enough to already max out fall damage and you've reached terminal velocity. Second and subsequent rounds of falling is 1050 feet covered since. If you want to make different rules for different shapes its up to you.

One I came up with for Curse of Strahd was polymorphing the sunsword-wielding paladin into a kitten so the sunlight goes away.

Turn Strahd into a t-rex in order to ruin the atmosphere.

My players turned Guh into a lizard then put her in a jar to be asphyxiated. Realizing the spell wouldn't last forever, they threw the jar into the lake instead.

Did She sink or flowt

Since he didn't die, I'm assuming he did not fall that far. If you go by real life physics, you fall roughly 575 Ft. per 6 seconds. I think their might be some rules that say differently in the PHB or DMG.

In truth though, the necromancer should not of been standing on the top of the tower, especially without minions around him protecting him. He should of been casting spells through an arrow slit in his tower. That way the players are forced into the tower so they can fall victim to his traps and minions.

Polearm obsessives are a D&D tradition.

Gunslinging is fun though. Dual wielding pistols/pepperboxes is pretty great.

Is this your preference, or do these numbers represent something from the text that I missed?

Our party did a similar thing with Guh. We turned her into a rat and took her, and the things we needed, and ran out. We eventually tossed her into the charred pile that was once our air ship (it blew up as we were sneaking into the camp, killing all the people we had hired on to help us and the rock gnomes who foolishly messed with the mechanisms of the air ship) and just the hell out of dodge.

At the climax of SKT, we used polymorph on the sorcerer and the giant growth potion you get from the giant queen to create a tarasque sized T-rex. It was a fun game.

haven't seen that before, kudos to the artist.

My rule of thumb is 200ft in the first round, 400ft in the second, 600ft in the third, etc. It's not accurate, but it's close enough, and a nice round number. I find you don't have to go very long before you reach some ground, anyway.

They represent physics.

Hate to be that guy but giant size potion doesn't work like that

huh, my party also used Polymorph on Guh. We turned her into something small and innocuous with a low hit point total so the druid could become a condor, snatch up the polymorphed immobile giantess, and then ascend to cloud height before crushing the low hit point creature in their talons and letting Guh fall full sized.

Well, I wanted to portray a Roiland-esque character, and I find angry men yelling at the top of walls or towers to be hilarious. He wasn't the big boss, but more of an NPC that fits into the narrative. But yeah, I'm not the most tactically inclined DM. You're right in that there should have been some guards down at the bottom.

This was after everyone else shot down my plan to have the druid summon enough sprites to polymorph the party's heavy melee force into black birds and hide us in a pie gifted to Guh...so we could ruin her day from the inside out.

Speaking of giant-sized potions, my players recently looted a gallon-sized healing potion from a giant. I ruled that it has no effect unless you drink the whole thing, because after all you can't divide a human-sized healing potion into smaller doses to get more people up from unconsciousness. How long should it normally take to drink a gallon of rather disgusting fluid, and how long should it take if someone rolls a really good Con check?

>this was after everyone else shot down my plan to have the druid summon sprites
Sing a song of sixpence and cry me a river, why don't you?

I assumed as much, but the player who did it was the DM's son. In truth, he was allotted a lot of liberties throughout the game. It was still a really fun game all and all though.

>potion of giant size

>turns into into something larger than a giant

You're right still sounds fun though

The game would have been fine with no human

I won't, because the party's gone along with other crazy plans all the same, just not that one.

It was a solid plan to get passed her guards. However the Druid's plan worked out quite well and had the added bonus of terrifying every Hill Giant still allied to her while making a sizable crater.

The DM just describing the slow motion moment to the druid as Guh reappeared as herself, upward momentum failing, and with wide eyes saying "Uh oh," was beautiful. Far more hilarious than the gory mess I had planned.

I agree.

You either call it instantaneous as it is by default due to a lack of ruling, or you google how fast things fall, and divide it by 6 seconds a round.

Please read here.

Just checked myself and the number is more like 1000 ft in a round (rounding down).

>after all you can't divide a human-sized healing potion into smaller doses to get more people up from unconsciousness
Because one bottle of healing potion is a single dose for a small/medium size creature. A gallon of healing potion would be a massive overdose for a medium creature.

>1000
Yeah I just went 1050 to be close to the actual number while still being nice for easy math but 1000 is still more than close enough to not give a shit.

DM here. How can I make 5 lv11 PCs have a reasonable chance against an Adult Red Dragon in his layer (a castle, where he can't fly much)
They are a Revenge Paladin dwarf, a Half elf Cleric, a Human Abjurator Wizard, a Tabaxi monk and a gnome ranger.
Is it possible? Do I have to lvl them up even further (they are lvl 10 now and I am already planning to lvl them up to 11 cause I didn't realize this fight was going to be so difficult). Do I need to give em some special items? Which items do you recommend? Or any other kind of advantage?
maybe it is time to TPK them for the first time, but it is their first dragon and I am hyping it too much. It would be dissapointing for them.

>11 level
They can take him.

Hey anons, I considered buying Tales from the Yawning Portal on roll20. Has any of you bought another of the roll20 adventure bundles? Are they worth the price? Do you get the adventure as a digital book as well?

I can recommend allowing a tpk to happen if that is the way the dice fall. Dragons are supposed to be badass so if nobody dies you're doing it wrong.

Yeah? The encounter calculator doesn't say the same. I want the fight to be difficult but not impossible. I am ok with one character death in this fight. Do I keep them in lvl 10 or lvl 11 is fine?

Anyone read or looked at the Tales from the Yawning Portal? I heard a few people have managed to see it but I could be wrong.

They're a bit pricy if you also buy the physical book, but they cut out a lot of prep work by organizing them, giving you tokens and digital maps, and setting up the monster stats. I'd say if you're buying it to actually run it and not just have on a shelf, it's definitely worth it.

It's not their fault polearms are clearly stronger than swords.

Change the system.

Isn't level 11 where another Power up occurs? Fighters get another attack, cantrips scale up in damage, access to 6th level spells. At 11, they should definitely be fine. Depends on their tactics, but they'll have an easier time at 11 than 10. Not sure how much easier. Can't remember the CR on an adult red dragon.

I dislike that some people ban artificer 'because it's too high technology'.

Especially alchemists can be refluffed quite a bit with lower technology, or simply holding onto technology that's above the norm but nobody wants the technology because it's too awkward to use and they can just use magic.

Adult red dragon has a 17 CR

user, my party defeated an adult black dragon on level 8 or so. Granted, he wasn't in his lair, but still.

They'll wreck the dragon easily unless you drain their resources before the fight.

What class do you think is most in need of a rework and why?

For 5 level 11 PCs, the encounter thresholds are as follows:
>Easy: 4000 XP
>Medium: 8000 XP
>Hard: 12000 XP
>Deadly: 18000 XP

An adult red dragon, at CR 17, is worth... oh look at that, 18000 XP! They can handle it. Character death might happen, TPK even if they're careless or unlucky, but they can handle it. be sure to make them use some of their resources before meeting the dragon, freshly rested parties can defeat much harsher odds than you'd expect.

Not denying that, but the numbers that fucker can pump out because of his fucking rolls is insane.

But if I buy the roll20 bundle, can I run the adventures with just what's there? It says the content is not downloadable, am I supposed to read the adventure text just while in the VTT?

The subclass EK because it felt unfinished and just felt like here a warrior, now go to the wizard section.

Artificer. Just re-do that. Some of it is fine but a lot seems unfinished. The damn golem doesn't even scale with level for goodness sake.

The adventure descriptions are included as journal handouts that the DM can reference.

So lvl 10 is ok? I am planning in having the fight in 2 parts:
1.Dragon is confident and doesn't use much of his strength and doesn't move a lot.
2.Dragon starts to realize the strength of the party and takes the princess prisioner, starts to move more and fly a little and calls some kobolds minions.
Is this too difficult? Too easy? Is it fine? I am pretty new and never manage a high CR monster like this before. The party is also new

I would say as long as the encounter isn't a suprise encounter so that the party can prepare, they should be fine.

They should be fully rested though, and your wizard should have defensive spells like absorb elements if he doesn't want to be insta-grilled by his flame breath. I would say your party is well suited for these fights. The monk will probably have the hardest time being useful, but his dodge lets him survive longer than most.

>The damn golem doesn't even scale with level for goodness sake.
Should it scale?

This helps me a lot. Thanks!

Wot4E monk needs some fixes, or they could just take the one floating around and make it official.

My local shop game me a brief read over it. It's pretty neat. There is a section on the yawning portal tavern and what you can do with it, followed by the 7 daventures in the book. I can't remember all the names, but it starts with sunless citadel as a level 1-3 adventure, then I think the next adventure is something about a dwarven forge as a level 3-5 adventure, and the next two adventures are 5-8 and 8-?. One of them looked very tribal themed.

I'm sorry I don't have a better description, but the level ranges were the main thing I needed to know. My current group has 5 level 5 characters and I wanted to know how far in the book I would be dropping them in when we started.

I've been really enjoying a raven queen warlock and I've been trying to get myself some new tricks rather than a rogue/eldritch blast spambot type thing. Are there any neat less obvious tricks or uses for the warlock?

Is one with shadows useless or useful?
Best invocations and cantrips?

A single level 11 non-oathbreaker paladin can output 256 damage in two rounds without GWM bullshit and without crits and without magic items or buffs. Simply by hitting and using smite.

A single level 11 non-oathbreaker paladin can take out that dragon in two fucking rounds.

Yet you have 5 players.

Play the dragon as smart as you can, but make sure there are opportunities your players can use to counter-smart them, such as if it starts flying they can try swinging off stuff, climbing on them or dropping parts of the lair about. I suppose.

Well it doesn't have to actually scale like the revised ranger beast companion but it should improve in some way with levels. You just get it at level 5 and it's as good as it will ever be. It also becomes pretty irrelevant to combat by around level 8 or 9.

What are some good homebrew animal spirits to have available for a circle of the shepherd druid?

I don't think the intention is to give an artificer more source of damage. I think it's to give an artificer cowboy his robot horse.

What are some spells that a level 6 wizard should definitely try to have?

An heroism

Counterspell. Fly. Haste. Slow.

But it rolls initiative with you and has a combat specific ability: 'If you are the target of a melee attack and the
servant is within 5 feet of the attacker, you can
use your reaction to command the servant to
respond, using its reaction to make a melee
attack against the attacker.'

Also I can't help but think 'why wouldn't I want my magic robot to be a decent combatant.' Also it only makes sense that the artificer could improve it as they become more skilled.

It doesn't even have to be good in combat necessarily, I just wish they'd add some improvement options as you leveled.

Also gunsmith needs more options for damage types i.e. a bullet for each damage type so they can act as a versatile damage dealer that drains resources to produce ammo.

I use roll20 a lot and as practical as it is, I have enough experience to assume it'd be very troublesome having to click between handouts just to read the adventure, especially mid-game. Well, I guess I will download the pdf anyway once a helpful user scans it. Might as well pay for it there.

Level 6, user.

You could also just copy/paste the handout text into one-note or something.

>in 2 turns a paladin can get 256 damage
2d6 (Greatsword)+4d8 (3rd level smite)+1d8 (extra smite from 11th level paladin)+5 (max strength)
Have to do a 2nd level smite on the last attack on the second round because only 3 3rd level spell slots
average of 132, max of 220

not even the maximum is able to reach your insane asspull numbers

Yes. Your point being?

>Using a greatsword instead of a polearm

Hypnotic Pattern
Haste
Counterspell

Those are spells a level 6 wizard is able to use.

Im going to be running Rage of Demons for 4 of my friends soon, and all of us prefer a milestone based leveling system over keeping track of experience. If anyone here has played through RoD before, do you have some advice on when I should level my players?

Leomund's tiny hut, counterspell, haste, find familiar and all those other useful rituals.

Also, if you're a evocation wizard, you want magic missiles at some point. If you're necromancer, you.. You'll obtain animate dead anyway. Et cetera.

Curse of Strahd doesn't have explicit rules for how to kill Strahd, so how did you do it?

Simply kick his shit while he's regenerating in his coffin or something?

We managed by a clever little trick of casting magic circle on his coffin with the scroll. He tried to come kick our shit, we kicked his shit (with an extremely lucky crit from our Sunblading Rogue, among others). While in mist form, he had no way to return to the coffin due to the magic circle, so we promptly burnt the coffin during before the magic circle expired.

>Curse of Strahd doesn't have explicit rules for how to kill Strahd
Yes, it does, you have to kill him in his coffin.

Also, you can't kill Strahd, he comes back anyway, unless the DM decides otherwise.

>Curse of Strahd doesn't have explicit rules for how to kill Strahd
Bro do you even Sunsword?

Oh, just remembered they're vengeance paladin, so might as well throw haste on them while I'm at it.

GWF, so 1d4 = 3 and 1d10 = 6.3

5 attacks a round, maximum.
[(6.3+5+4.5)*4 + (3+5+4.5) is non-smite damage.
Smite damage is 2*(4*4.5) + 3*(3*4.5) + 4*(2*4.5) across those rounds.

263.9 average across two rounds if you don't consider miss or crit chance, 100% hits. I guess casting elemental weapon is also a thing because that gives +1d4 per hit and makes the weapon a +1 weapon, but let's face it they probably have a magical weapon and haste is probably better, even if it carries some danger.

Of course, this is a bit larger than what I said, but the truth is before haste the damage was about ~226 average but it could potentially reach 256 with a bit of luck.

I said 'No GWM' because I didn't want people to think I was using GWM to add +10 to every hit which would amount to +100 damage across all 10 hits, because actually that would reduce your damage against a dragon with that much AC when you deal so much damage with every attack.

alright sure, let's assume the dwarf is a polearm paladin
1d10+5d8+4/1d4+5d8+4, goes to +4d8 on second turn because out of 3rd level spell slots
172 average, max of 288

now it reaches ass pull numbers, but that's assuming all hits+nearly maxing out on all damage rolls
It's also a vengeance paladin so unless it doesn't oath of enmity the average goes down to 148, the max goes down to 248

Thoughts on awakening my druid's beard?

she might stop being your bread once you give her free will

I mean to be fair to user, the dragon has 256 hitpoints so 148 damage is still a lot. Even if the dm maxes it's health it'll have 342 so 148 is still loads.

I'm not sure how you're reducing the damage that much. Ignoring reaction attacks and the like?

Since the adult red dragon does actually have an AC, I think we can probably set this up a bit better.

Still, a lot of DMs give free feats, and I was kind of saying for an examplary 'optimized' paladin. But again, if we're going to specify the exact situation, it's probably possible.

So we take a dwarf without any extra feats, probably assume at 'least' a +1 weapon (Which isn't very generous, but it automatically negates the fact they have 18 strength instead of 20 already)..
They'll use haste and they'll use the oath of emnity before the battle. There's normally a round of combat that's just 'closing in' and haste gives them 50ft speed.

They have +9 to hit, they'll have advantage, they're hitting an AC of 19, we'll assume they only get one reaction attack instead of two across the two rounds, there's a 39/400 chance of crit on each attack and how powerful their smite is depends on how many smites they've used before because they only smite if they hit...

I'll start punching this into a spreadsheet, shouldn't take long, but it should give a result that actually considers the fact you can miss.

For the last time, you can't just cast awaken on whatever and expect it to work. There are rules.

I remember you. I was the afrosorcerer user. Still a good idea man.

I believe he's, being more specific, awakening the algae that grows in his beard.

Doesn't really have much choice.

Is it balanced to use a Death Knight's spell slots to smite?

NO there are plants in his beard you autistic cumrag

Afrosorcerer is a good idea too

That's all the information there is, except "Strahd must be in his coffin to be destroyed".

And I know you can't kill Strahd for good.