Flames of War General: Iwo Jumbo Edition

Last Thread:
Flames of War SCANS database:
mediafire.com/?8ciamhs8husms
---Includes our Late War Leviathan rules!
Official Flames of War Free Briefings:
flamesofwar.com/Default.aspx?tabid=108

Current Veeky Forums fan projects - Noob Guide &FAQ, and a Podcast
drive.google.com/open?id=1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw
Quick Guide on all present FOW Books:
wargames-romania.ro/wordpress/wargames/flames-of-war/flames-of-war-starting-player-guide-the-books/

Archive of all known Panzer Tracts PDFs: mediafire.com/folder/nyvobnlg12hoz/Panzer_Tracts

WWII Osprey's, Other Wargames, and Reference Books
mediafire.com/folder/z8a13ampzzs88/World_War_Two
and, for Vietnam.
mediafire.com/folder/z8i8t83bysdwz/Vietnam_War

--Guybrarian Notes:
docs.google.com/document/d/1eD3nkA51ddl3nmltKg0zsnfrOUhlWgcc4h5aqz-RFqw/edit?usp=sharing

400gb.com/u/1883935

Panzerfunk, the /fowg/ podcast.
panzerfunk.podbean.com/
Panzerfunk questions: docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSeOBxEJbNzS_Ec7I76zQmCU9P7o0C5bAgcXriKQ4bOWBp4QkA/viewform

vimeo.com/128373915

flamesofwar.com/Portals/0/Documents/Briefings/CariusNarva.pdf

flamesofwar.com/hobby.aspx?art_id=1949 the Azul Division: no longer linkable off the main page

Which army do you play the most?
strawpoll.me/4631475

What actual country are you from?
strawpoll.me/4896764

docs.google.com/document/d/1JWmbvVANUraO9ILWJZduRgiI9w4ZC3ytNUQE8rK7Xrw/edit?usp=sharing an "i want to get a starter set" for late war.

Do you play TANKS? what is the local scene / meta like? (multi)
strawpoll.me/12127794/r

Soviet Brainstorming Batalon Discord
discord.gg/BfbxDSp

Other urls found in this thread:

tanks.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/173/Default.aspx
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Regarding (I've no idea how to link to posts in previous threads)
Panzerkompanies from Muncheberg (Berlin digital exclusive bullshit) can take up to 4 patrols, so there's that. Not sure why you'd want to do so, though, since the company has a minimum of 5 CV Panthers with all the infrared stuff so you'll be struggling to fit all the support options in a list...

>>Especially since they're not as good in V4.
>Why's this?
Recce is much weaker in V4. You lose disengage and eyes and ears and get a deployment zone adjustment that's only really useful if you can spam recce units.

In Team Yankee at least, I've found the expanded deployment zones to be highly useful. Although I have not yet had the chance to try it in FoW 4th Ed.

The back is a PSC 251/9, the front is one I just kitbashed out of a Zvezda 251 and spare parts from the BF plastic 234/3. So, yeah, if you've got the plastic Puma box you can use the otherwise useless 234/3 parts to make 251/9s.

The deployment zone adjustement is still really useful in certain scenarios. Recce should have some of the fastest dash speed as well. Useful for threatening artillery and harassing infantry that your opponent would otherwise like to reposition.

I don't know, but I feel that if you get first turn, that deployment zone bump could be invaluable.
That looks good. Wish I hadn't already built 4 of those from the PSC kits...

Why does the OP always pick such shit images.

How many Zvezda Jagdtigers should I buy? 6?

I have four as well (I think that PSC set with all the halftrack variants is great, so many sweet vehicles) but, hey, might as well build a fifth and sixth.

Maybe you should try making a new thread yourself instead of bitching about it.

>Sumo wrestling
>on a Japanese battleship

>shit image

It's actually kinda awesome if you ask me.

I don't think you can get the same number of low points cost Jagdtigers as you can King Tigers.

I'd say 2 or maybe 3 Zvezda Jagdtigers is probably a safe bet.

Hmm, yeah, 270 each at RT means six is 1605 without any support so I'll stick with four.

NVA

MTLB tundscha please BF

ded thred
ded edition

I'm insanely curious, what's with the date stenciled onto that BMP-1?

Some kind of weird style of unit marking?

how many El-Alamein boxes did you get?

i ended up getting 2 in delayed action...

>I'll stick with four.

That leaves you 420 points left if you're building towards a 1500 point list.

Not bad, but you'll need to go super-low points on your support options to make up for your very high point tank hunters.

>ded edition

I've seen a fair bit of activity on the various forums and Facebook pages.

It's just the thread that seems to be a bit slow tonight.

I want an opinion from tg
My local game store is hosting a late war scenario for the push to berlin using german and russian forces. Ive been asked to play german, which i dont mind, but ive only got between 1200 tto 1500 pts to spend. I have tanks and infantry as well as accompanying tracks and trucks plus pak at guns ect, so i can field almost anything.

What lists (and books) do you sudgest for high survivability meets cost in this senario? Using points given and the old v3 rules.

None yet. But I'll probably get the El Al set, and a set of both the British and the German starter to start building some forces.

What minis do you have access to? I think you can't really go wrong with the Berlin Kampfgruppe in Berlin. It fits the scenario and you can bring pretty much anything. There are a lot of cheap options with Panzerfausts so you can dig in and hold against tanks.

Old men and young boys. Works like a charm.

Osa when, Battlefront? I remember those things being a huge pain in the ass in the original Mercenaries game.

Pffft, I'd rather wait for Zvezda to do them in plastic...

Is that the one with those sick road walls? Those things are awsome

6th Marines

I feel like seeing "6th Mar." and assuming it's the date isn't 100% my fault

I still feel like a fucking idiot somehow though

Running this list against the Volkspamee tomorrow. I hate running platoons short, but you have to to squeeze things in at 80 points. Plan is to use my LARS mines to funnel the East Germans into a kill zone where I can delay their advance until my reinforcements arrive.

Fuchs Aufklärungs Kompanie
HQ Fuchs ...............1

Fuchs Zug...................4
Fuchs Zug (short).......3
Leo 1 Zug (short).........6

Panzer Aufklärungs Kompanie
HQ Leo 1......................3
Leo 1 Zug.....................9
Leo 1 Zug.....................9
Gepard Batterie...........10
Luchs Spah..................1
Luchs Spah..................1
Leo 2 Zug(short)......... 22

LARS Batterie(w/mines)..7
Tornado Strike Flight(2)..4

Total: 80 points

Is there something in the rules about 1s alwats failing? Or does a tank with wide tracks that uses the cross here order automatically succed its cross check?

Yes, page 4 of the EW/LW rulebook explains that a value is modified to be better than a 2+, it still fails on a 1. Stuff that starts at 1+ (noted as "Auto") automatically passes. Note that things like Wide Tracks and Smooth Ride are modifications to the base 3+ cross value, and do not make the base value a 1+.

Thanks!

oops! wrong post.

Hello /fow/

I like miniature wargames, and I find WW2 interesting, so this seems kind of up my alley.

My standard practice when picking up a faction usually defaults to who has the interesting lore or whoever has interesting stuff that appeals to me, neither of which seem to be particularly good rules to go by when it deals with a setting that happens to be real life.

I read all these writings on people who painted up their grandfather's or granduncle or whoever's unit and I think that's a great story and reasoning for making it.

For those of you who don't have a personal or family connection to this era, how'd you guys end up settling on selecting a nation?

I'm dead set on the Italians when they get re-released later this year, and I'm not even 100% as to why, I guess I like playing the armies that most people tend to not think too much about, or even would be dismissive of for gameplay or other reasons (Haqqislam in infinity for example, I know a lot of people just don't want to play it because it's named after a current religion)

Plus just the huge diversity in the army is just intriguing, you go from the guys on the eastern front who are stuck in a war they don't know much or care about to the black feathered hat wearing Bersaglieri which were commented on as being very impressive soldiers who knew what they were doing.

And my list will get to run both of 'em!

But for now! I'm simply sticking with Germany for the midwar period, simply because I love the Panzer 3, for no reason other than "I just do" and so, there's only so many lists that can take that particular vehicle, so maybe one day I'll play some other nation that can use that vehicle as well.

tl;dr I found something awesome about a faction no-one seemed to want to play, and I played a faction because I liked one of the models that only they can really use

I play Germans because they run the gamut. You have everything from disciplined professionals, through fanatical zealots (with modest training) through to the last gasp elderly and infirm given weapons and told to defend their homes.

You have the heaviest tanks in the game, or you have makeshift equipment welded together to try to form a stop-gap solution.

You have forces in what was every major theatre in the game, until the Pacific came out - Eastern Front, Western Front, Africa - and that means that you can play against almost anyone. Oh, and all your stuff has the option for interesting camouflage patterns, so no flat Olive Drab for you.

Per the user name, I latched on to the Panzer Lehr Division. The concept of emptying out the grizzled veteran instructors from the tank training schools to form a divisional cadre, because if they didn't stop the allies there might not be a next generation to train really impressed me. It's a combination of elite and desperate last stand which you don't often combine.

Because this is Veeky Forums, I feel like I should add a throwaway joke like "oh, and because I hate the jews". But actually, even notwithstanding the standard "defences" like the snappy uniforms (which *are* neat, but hardly noticeable at 15mm scale) there are more than enough good wargaming reasons for me to play the Germans.

>For those of you who don't have a personal or family connection to this era, how'd you guys end up settling on selecting a nation?
Mostly going for any particular tank I like (hence the 50 shermans I show from time to time), intriguing unit organisation, reading about units that did awesome/interresting stuff, memoirs and, for lack of a better term, what "feels right".

Apparently you asked a question that was very easy to answer.

>For those of you who don't have a personal or family connection to this era, how'd you guys end up settling on selecting a nation?
I tend to like fast and mobile forces in games I play, and the british had the fasted and most mobile medium tank (the Cromwell). That got me into the brits, and then I've just been slowly expanding from there.

>selecting a nation
>implicit singular
I've got Germans, US and Brits. I like variety and list writing, and try to use a different briefing every game that I play. More importantly, I don't have factions other than those three because of cost and variety/viability of lists. Soviets are/were the weakest of the big four in V3 and were the most expensive so I never got into them, and minor nations suffer from ranges that are heavily metal/resin (as opposed to plastic vehicles and infantry for the others) and from less variety in how they use their equipment. Plus, there are enough interesting lists for the three that I run that I'd rather buy a few things to modify existing models - some trucks for my Germans to try Kampfgruppe Graebner, another ARP to run a mechanised US company rather than Tanks with ARP support, some 6 and 17 pounders to try a more defensive British list rather than Night Attacking, that sort of thing.

Building up from an infantry company and ten medium tanks to being able to build all sorts of different lists is fairly simple to do a little bit at a time, so I'm happy moving between the three factions at whim.

here

Germans are probably my favourite though, for a lot of the reasons mentions. They get so many interesting Briefings, at least in LW.

I was interested in the Red Army because I hadn't learned much about them and finding out the massive scope of the Eastern Front was impressive. Further, the sacrifice and grit of the Red Army impressed me. Plus I just like T34s.

Second army is likely to be Italians.

Oh hey another "I like this piece of equipment, time to play the faction that uses it!"

Man, you're gunna love Italians, you basically get T-26's in the M14/41's, sure is gunna be weird playing them at reluctant trained half the time, huh?

This is going to sound cliche as all hell, but I chose to play the 101st Airborne because I was a fan of the HBO Miniseries Band of Brothers.

From there I went on to read more about them in various books. The siege of Bastogne is what really sold me on them though.

When it came time to choose my first army for FoW I asked if US Paratroopers were in the game, and several people told me that it was, and that they were a very good army.

My second army was German Panzers. My thought process on that was basically, "what's the opposite of Allied Infantry?", and the answer was "Axis Tanks".

For my Team Yankee armies... I went with US first, because the Abrams and A-10 are iconic modern military vehicles.

The Soviets l picked up because my FLGS was having a sale on Battlefront stuff and the other local TY player had also gone with US...

I started with Soviets in FoW because I have always been fascinated with the Red Army in WW2 from documentaries, video games, and books I had read.

For Team Yankee I decided to go with the West Germans because I had played a ton of the Point of Existence mod for Battlefield 2 and had a lot of fun memories of blowing shit up with the Leopard 2. It's funny because the guy I usually play with painted his Soviets up as Ukrainian (the opfor in POE).

i had a dad in the british army and was sationed in west Germany during the 80s yet i lay west germans for team yankee

>had a dad
You coudl have more than one dad in the 80s? :P

Germans, because Panzer fick ja! Ended up with Fallschirmjägers because I love the idea of elite infantry. Now I have enough to play both Panzer and FJ as and how I wish. Sometimes I play the tanks as SS for a giggle, but I stay away from some formations (for what I'd say were obvious reasons).

Brits, and once again airborne (Paras), for much the same reason, but also because I'm something of an anglophile. "Tally ho lads, let's have at the Jerry rotters!"

And finally, I picked up Udarny Soviets mostly because I got the box cheap, and find the Soviets interesting as an army. They won the war, after all (with some help). Besides, sometimes it's fun to just throw men at the enemy.

it made sense in my head

Well, considering my choices with Soviets are Confident Conscript, Confident Trained, or Fearless Trained for Soviets, it can't be that bad!

Italian tanks might not have been great, but they look neat. Gotta admire those Italian tankers for doing their best with what they had.

Also I can hopefully get Bersags as my infantry so that'll be fun.

Bump

Are you kidding me? Spearhead's an incredible ability. It's basically the Soviet infiltrate ability. It's incredibly useful. It's liking given reece moves to half your army.

I opted to do minor nations because they'd be obscure and thus more fun and less samey than the big 4 to me.

you, user, have the key to winning /fowtg/: sheer civility.

I guess i am a German player, despite the fact only 2 of my 3 fully painted armies are Soviet. i used to have more miniatures. life and eBay sales took their toll.

if i had to go through all my reasons:
--Germans: see Panzer Lehr's post. expect i am a Pumatard. ex Falschirmjager fanboy. may still do Gliders.
--Soviets: 3 of the most laughable off-center lists: Strahf, Enginner Sapper's, Cossacks...to be honest, fuck communism. i like their Engineers and Heroes. i love IS-85's.
--Japan: because i love how nuts they are, their shitty tanks are different to me, and....i'm a bit WeaBoo.
--Israel: HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAA! i play Germans too, right....?
--Poland: see my name.
--EW Brits: this is the crazy old dashing Britain that used to wear redcoats and be ace on the high seas...tally ho!

was thinking about a return to Finland, but i am looking at my backlog...

btw:

anyone care about this?
tanks.gf9games.com/Home/tabid/56/entryid/173/Default.aspx

just wondering.

>anyone care about this?

Might be a good source of single tanks if you ever need to buy less than a full box to complete a unit, but other than that?

I don't actually know any Tanks players in my area.

TANKS is ded game, but like Eagles said, it's nice to be able to buy one or two of the TANKS boxes the FLGS has in stock instead of putting a single sprue order in with Battlefront.

Does anyone still play tanks? I want to believe the new tanks would breath some life into the game, but with how boringly simple the rules are, I doubt it.

>single blister
Yes. this. i plan to do this to get my 3rd V4 Artiepanzer.

>does anyone play?
kinda. i have garage queen Brits, USA, and Soviets, in that order of gusto. none are historical. was thinking of Germans, but to be serious, it'd be like paying for pocket pool: all my TANKS blisters for Germans go straight to my FoW Forces....

The fact they're giving Beits more British tanks is nice. Hopefully some increase in catalogue will do the game some good.

When will chinese get released?

My senpai fled the bolshies and went to NA. Family's still pretty slav, and while not wanting to be a commie, the cultural aesthetics rub off enough for me to get into the spam hordes. Several members of my family served as Leaf and US personnel in the war, and about half of them never came back. Though my interests in playing Canuck armoured and US airborne is independent of that.

It took the Chinese most of the 20th Century to get helmets as standard issue. And they'd be even more spammy than Soviets. Why the slant boner? Make me understand.

Team Yankee or FoW?

Twice in one thread. Really is ded edition.

Anybody have some V4 battle reports to share?

I've been looking for some on YouTube and the popular FoW blogs, but I haven't been able to find too many.

second that one

also general feel of V4 in EW/LW

Actually played a 50-point MW game this afternoon.

Forces were mostly based on the starters:
German force:
-Panzer III kompanie
HQ: 2 Panzer III (kurz)
3 Panzer III (kurz)
2 Panzer IV (kurz)
-Support:
2 8.8cm FlaK36

British force:
-Grant armoured squadron
HQ: 3 M3 Medium
3 M3 Medium
1 Crusader III, 2 Crusader II
-Support:
2 OQF 17/25 pdr

Will post a bit of a report in a follow-up if people wanna hear it.

>also general feel of V4 in EW/LW
Played one 1000-point LW game so far; Forward Detachment vs veteran Grenadiers.
Worked quite well, with my mortars owning my opponent's and my infantry being pretty difficult to shift without that fire support.

On the other hand, I made the dual mistakes of a T-34/85 unit being my only AT assets and then sending them solo against the AT-heavy German flank while StuGs assaulted my AT-less infantry on the other flank.
That turned into a fast-moving grind where two StuGs were destroyed at the cost of 2/3 of my infantry and 5 of 6 mortars.

I take it you have something against Sturmoviks? :)

Bit too expensive for 1000 points and I tried to keep the lists kinda simple.

Did recently finish up my second and third of them, so soon.png.

>Will post a bit of a report in a follow-up if people wanna hear it.

Well, a couple people did ask.

I know I'd be interested.

The mission was Free-for-All.

As you can see in the image here I had my 88s defend the left objective, the Panzer IV unit in the center ready to bombard the 17/25 pounders and the Panzer III units on the right flank.
My opponent had his Grants central and to the left, the Crusaders on the far right and the 17/25 pounders on top of the hill to provide maximum field of fire.

The Crusaders charged up, but paid the price when the Panzer III unit blitzed out of cover, unloaded at halted RoF killing two and then scooted back into cover. The remaining Crusader III would fail Unit Last Stand on the next turn.
Meanwhile, the Grants were moving onto the left flank to threaten the 88s and the Panzer IV unit repeatedly failed to range in on the 17/25 pounders.

With the pressure of 6 Grants on my left, I decided to push forward with the Panzer III units while the Panzers IV continued to try and pin the Pheasants.
Should the 88s fall, the Panzer IV could try to hold that objective.

The Panzer charge cost me a tank in each unit, but one of the 17/25 pounders finally got killed by the bombardment.
Meanwhile, the pair of 88s was winning the shootout with the Grants, mostly because I passed all the 4+ gun saves I had to roll.
When one of the Grant units was wiped out, the Brits just had their HQ unit of 2/3 Grants and a 17/25 pounder in support left.
This meant the Brits failed formation morale and fled.

Matches with about 10 teams a side certainly can tilt on some lucky rolls and I feel I got that luck this game.
My opponent didn't play perfectly, but he felt he had to attack since I could outshoot him at range.

Things played out nice and quickly; the V4 rules really do streamline a bunch of stuff while also adding that flexibility with movement orders.

So, with the 6 Grants concealed behind the wall and the bushes, the 2 88s were still winning the shootout?

Id imagine that took time really good dice rolls on your part and some really bad ones from your opponent.

Also, those 50 point forces are smaller than I imagined. I would have thought forces those size would be more like 35 points.

>So, with the 6 Grants concealed behind the wall and the bushes, the 2 88s were still winning the shootout?
>Id imagine that took time really good dice rolls on your part and some really bad ones from your opponent.
Well, he managed to hit me five times and I passed my saves each time.

Also, those 50 point forces are smaller than I imagined. I would have thought forces those size would be more like 35 points.
Decent tanks are fairly expensive; Grants, 88s and Panzer IV (short) are 6 points a pop, Panzer III (short 5cm) are 5 each.

We are too busy to play V4, have no time to silly chat on /tg.

Okay, I have to ask...

What the actual fuck is going on in that picture?

The halftracks are blocking in the Jacksons, since in V4 you can't move through any other units.

>Jacksons
Hellcats*
5 hours of RPGs and no dinner makes IDing TD's hard.

i wish i could get regular games of flames of a and team yankee or just any game tha's worth the time

But how are the halftracks that close without assaulting?

Don't you have to keep 2 inches away unless assaulting?

Did that change in V4?

>Look up local tabletop community on facebook.
>40k, 30k, bloodbowl, xwing, cardgames

I am sure they're having fun but it fucking sucks for me.

i know your pain
what's worst is that i ran demo games where all they do is mock you and say you've gotten conned with the game for paying such prices while they go on and play infinity, x-wing or MTG

>Paying Such prices
>Playing Magic the Gathering the Cardboard Jew

So do these people have no concept of reality? At least when you buy a TIE Fighter that's assured to remain legal and relevant to the game. Where as you'll shell out the cost of a Flames of War army again and again to remain tournament grade for almost any cardgame you care to name.

Either you're ignorant of the rules, or I am. And if I am, that's fucking disgusting GW-tier cheese.

Vehicles can be in within 2 inches of enemy vehicles, it was same in every edition of FOW.

>conned for paying such prices
>literally cardboard
>way overpriced bendy plastic
>retarded over-posed anime/furry swill
kek

That's only infantry, vehicles can move that close to vehicles just fine.

There is a reason it's called Cardboard Crack.

As for almost any miniature war game, it's all about showing people what is actually cool about the game, and hopefully catching their interest.

>$15 for two plastic tankies
>$15 for 7 pieces of glossy card
lafftrack.mp3

>£20 for 5 plastic tonks which will remain relevant literally forever and can be used for nigh infinite rule-sets with the best fluff, as WW2 will be wargamed until the end of time.
>£13 for an ok-ish modelled space-plane that can be used in a single game, which is based on a gay franchise
>actually paying any amount of money for a business card with a monster on it, from whom I guarantee you will not receive any additional business.

>gay franchise

>a science fiction and pop cultural icon for the last 40 years
>gay franchise

Whatever you say.

i like you.

come to my house and fuck my sister.

>>actually paying any amount of money for a business card with a monster on it, from whom I guarantee you will not receive any additional business.
kek

Volkspamee are very nasty to deal with in Hasty Attack. Honestly would have been better off with a Leopard 2 list than what I brought. Deep, scattered reserves sucks against the Volksarmee. It almost makes me want to try to Hasty Attack myself to avoid having to deal with that. Probably didn't help that my infantry holding the hill got fragged turn 1 and 3/4 of my Leopard 1s moving to counterattack failed their 2+ bogging check trying to get out of a wood.

Had to proxy T-34s for T-55s because I derped and forgot to bring my T-55s, but had my T-34 foam with me for some reason.

That's okay user. It's a bit more properly statted that way.

Incidentally, it's amusing to see a chain gas station next to a peasant hovel.

>See other peoples models with camo schemes
>Look really nice
God I'm so worried I'm going to fuck that part up. I've never painted camo before.

>leaf

What is with this meme, toaster?

Man hates Canada. Can't blame him. They created Poutine which is delicious and is hard to find in a foreign country, Justin Beiber, Nickleback, Trudeau, Canadian Geese, Maple Syrup whiskey, Quebec, and Celine Dion.

Memri TV is the best thing to come out of the ME