Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Why haven't you jumped ship from Path of War to Spheres of Might yet? The playtest is now!

Unified /pfg/ link repository: pastebin.com/hAfKSnWW

Avowed Playtest 1: drive.google.com/open?id=0B5HkyGRtGZy3SWVhdWFBWERWWjg
Avowed Playtest 2: docs.google.com/document/d/1rV7kaF9JL2gw9xQalkEnlEDL9WXtbsaCqNABm_pLIgc/edit?usp=sharing

Spheres of Might playtest:
docs.google.com/document/d/160bWvYewTwEXj9ZZv-jJ9-VrvGpYNHNcF8w6BMsdqgU/edit#

Sphere of Power playtest:
Creation Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1kitAB8sHgmuD3fvOMuI_KyV_dxpO2wrxQmbnCoRgglA/edit?usp=sharing
Dark Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1zHRZyaMh_QwWcQ-ROGCjQyCdflD6cbm9VdEOJMpC06I/edit?usp=sharing
Life Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1wTv7VGj2qzjGnReD1lLRwC8iNG_G6f-a6XzMQlTB1yM/edit?usp=sharing
Mind Handbook Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1Kp4acH7zTk4e3DfPdYDfTk1jJClly3yp27Jfrf3FRWw/edit?usp=sharing

Gear of Power Playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1zIomq0TFP7uPdlFB8VRAIWQEjAXLV5CYpP3HmjySynU/edit?usp=sharing
Wild Magic Handbook: docs.google.com/document/d/1xBfoH6YcTdD3kwjn3ikItWPBGzIm9g3SVkVvUQD1yUw/edit?usp=sharing
Wild Magic Tables: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1NU5bK1Dyzu66KgIdrHNaaXBw1eHVpcHZHOh5BDaxMzU/edit?usp=sharing

Bloodforge Infusions updated playtest: docs.google.com/document/d/1GvwMclLSw15slYI7D5xLdjMzr-Nau92hNha9Sx0LOk4/edit#

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

spheresofpower.wikidot.com/feats
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Because spheres of power is pretty pointless. An overcomplicated mess of bullshit that adds nothing to the game but additional headaches for the GM.

First for FE: Fates was a mistake.

Also terrible OP pic

Because Spheres of Might just seems shittier and I like Path of War.

Next?

Is there a half-undead template for pathfinder out there? Trying to figure out what stat effects a half-undead wight-born human would have.

Because they didn't fucking use Combat Stamina. They had to REINVENT THE FUCKING WHEEL like a bunch of retards.

I'd rather play a Medium or Kineticist rather than a SphereMighter class

Spheres of Power is good, spheres of might needs to be aborted and they need to start over from ground zero and use stuff that was ALREADY THERE like Combat Stamina

I will, when it's a bit more polished! Path of War fucking blows.

How does it feel being wrong on so many levels? SoP is far simpler than Vancian, brings greater equity to adventuring parties, and allows incredible levels of personalization.

1. The two are not mutually-exclusive, you can play with both. No need to "jump ship".
2. Sphere is still technically in Backer-Only Playtest; you shouldn't have access to it yet anyway.
3. It's still in major playtest, doesn't have all of the material out, and is constantly being changed each day with feedback.
4. It's looking very boring, very reinvent-the-wheel-esque, and is kind of busted in both directions. It's not going anywhere near my tables until they sort their shit out.
5. Ssalarn's a terrible writer, and is actively making things worse both in mechanics and in my perception of the system.

Dhampir?

That's half-vampire.

I'm honestly sick of these "X of X" homebrews overall
I wish people would just shut up about them

They have alternate heritages like Tieflings and Aasimars

Basically this, yeah. Like PoW is overpowered, but it's FUN.

I forgot we have a catfolk that wants to bone Ameiko, though I think that's just to annoy the brother

t.shill

... and those are all based on different vampire lineages...

>it's the shill accusing part of the cycle

>Spheres of Power is good, spheres of might needs to be aborted and they need to start over from ground zero and use stuff that was ALREADY THERE like Combat Stamina
The kicker is that the war handbook has a bunch of combat stamina things in it.

But vancian casting does all those things while SoP is still OP compared to on-casters.

I suppose the main thing is they were trying to go for a system that slots into the core combat mechanics while stamina is an optional system from a book of optional systems.

Still, I'd like it fixed. Being a swordsman who's not just a fucking full attack dispenser would be nice.

Vancian casting is a big generic buffet table. The only thing it has going for it is the grandfather clause that it's always been there.

What do you mean by this?

It does? Mind hitting me up with a link, user?

Anyone got pdf of the new Player Companion yet?

Maybe it's because I've never actually played it, but I don't get the big draw of Spheres. Vancian seems FAR more prolific and versatile, which is to say, it's more powerful. I think Spheres would work if you substitute it for all magic systems, but for the average /pfg/ game that just allows everything, not going either Vancian or PoW is just asking to gimp yourself.

Seeing as we're asking for requests, I'd also like a pdf of that new horror companion book.

New Dragonborn session happened last night, I think it went well!

anyone have advanced archetypes 2 by flaming crab games

Ive played with Spheres a few times and I generally prefer it over Vanician for the sake of simplicity. I think it also serves certain settings/campaigns better. For example, I generally use Spheres if I'm aiming to lower magic in a game.

My group kicked Vancian magic to the curb, but I can't speak of PoW because it's an uphill battle making my GM think anything 3pp for martials isn't "too complicated" for everyone else.

SoP replacing Vancian magic outright has been a relief. It's much easier for most of the players to understand, it's a lot easier to build themes with, and it makes it a lot easier on me when I GM to understand how the plot has to be caster-proofed THIS time.

I've had quite enough of the "illusionist" wizard who could also fly, summon, evoke, and have a billion defensive buffs up at the same time or the "blaster" whose abilities changed drastically on a daily basis.

I suppose I'm also just biased towards mana pool systems in general, because spell slots make no in-universe sense to me.

How does it feel having that much shit taste? Camilla is a sweetheart!

PoW as a whole is not overpowered, but there are a decent number of ways it allows you to snap combat over your knee. The same holds true for spellcasting however. I'd say its balance issues are more internal than external though.
>PoW
- Too many damage bonuses on full attacks
- Too many maneuvers that are basically full attacks
- Steel Serpent is fucking garbage

>PoW:E
- All issues can be summed up as Su > Ex
- Piercing Thunder is 90% garbage, with stances that would have been better as feats and offering very little variety or new ways to play
- Mithral current pretty much requires you to use the Bushi martial class template
- Seriously, the state Piercing Thunder was released in was frankly appalling. DSP should feel bad about that.

Just to name a few of my gripes

I was thinking of Martial Reflexes. You can find it in the SRD:
spheresofpower.wikidot.com/feats

But how can your players effect equivalent CR encounters without the firepower the game assumes you have?

Have you finished and submitted your app to that game you like, /pfg/?

Right, I think I misspoke when I said I didn't get the draw. This all makes sense to me.

I think what I meant to say was, I don't see why people use Spheres when 1pp vancian is in play.

Yes, because if I didn't I'd have it hanging on my neck like the albatross!

Most of the characters in Fates were shit.

Camilla being the most waifu bait character in a waifu bait game makes her shit

You forgot about Tempest Gale being in the same place as Piercing Thunder. Also, you're totally wrong about Mithral Current needing Bushi. Rubato can use it just fine.

I'min three groups already. I don't need any more until one of them dies.

Spherecasting has enough firepower to do just fine, from what I've seen.

Having magic at all tends to bamboozle the fuck out of a huge portion of the bestiary. I've seen one too many tyrannosaurus get soloed by the nerd on the basis of "I can fly."

Yep.

Now to actually write this essay.

Working on my apps for the following:
>Legacy of Fire
>Weird West
>Shattered World

What other games are out currently that aren't heavy on the lewd? I may have missed some.

Working on the WWW later tonight and then I'm done! No more games! I can't fit all of this into my schedule!

Celestial Tournament, though that has its slew of issues. Seems like it might be okay though.
I applied because I know I wouldn't get into the main game on app alone, so at least this way I get to have some fights.

I did and didn't get in and now I'll never get a chance to play.

;'_;

Isn't stuff like this part of why people say that if you play a grown dragon as smart as they SHOULD be that there's no way a team of PCs should win? Any intelligent dragon, for instance, should just be flying constantly and breathing their breath weapon on those who can't fly, and focusing any mages or archers that can handle them at a distance by closing in and full attacking.

Ah I decided against that once since the entire concept of a PvP game where winning the fights don't matter and it's a player vote popularity concept is butt fuck retarded.

What's that one character concept you want to play, but you know you won't be able to for one reason or another?

user, the application process is a PvP game where winning the fights doesn't matter and it's a popularity contest.

Oh yeah? Who do you think were the bestest?

Rubato is really not much better than anything else for Mithral Current outside of versatile performance. Mithral current *requires* a 3-feat investment as well as an optional investment into a (usually) useless skill. Rubato at least is able to bypass the optional skill investment thanks to versatile performance, but he's still stuck with needing 3 feats minimum on a class with ZERO bonus feats.

As it stands, it's the only discipline aside from Thrashing Dragon with a mandatory feat investment, and at least thrashing dragon has the excuse of being DESIGNED around the combat style you're already investing in.

And yeah forgot about tempest gale
>combat maneuvers
into the trash

A True Primitive/Raging Cannibal Gestalted Feral Hunter because I was to be an insane caveman.

However I know no one would ever let that into a game.

I want to play a breeding stud from Hermea who wants to spread his good genes across Avistan.

A man who dual-wields a pair of pistol sword canes.

The issues with TWF and enchanting weapons are doubled, since a Pistol Sword Cane counts as a double weapon for enchanting (the pistol and the sword), but you can wield TWO of them at the same time. So you have to pay the price for enchanting FOUR weapons. It's stupid expensive

intriguing

You seem to be an expert on mithral current. Can you tell me the core and optional feats make it complete?

I'm happy for you!

The ones whose entire personality didn't revolve around Corrin.

So pretty much no one.

Yeah that's why I'm not applying. The pretense of taking up a lot of people's times for PvP matches where the fights don't mean anything is dumb.

Does anyone have good art of a guy in manacles? Withered broken, beaten, dead in the eyes?

a motherless-bred tiefling cleric or inquisitor of Chavasvug who wanders the land spreading the faith of the qlippoth and cleansing demonic filth in unholy fire.

Unfortunately, there is almost no information out there on Chavasvug besides his name, domains, and that fact that he hates demons more then other qlippoth. Or at least, that's all I could find.

I'm like Johnny Appleseed or Garth Greenhand!

We have managed to push up a 6th-level spheremighter into one-turn-killing a 20x20 square of CR 16s, hitting on a natural 2+.

All of this is thanks to the Alchemy sphere, the Barrage sphere, and hybridization funnels. Focusing flasks, alas, are too costly, and Alchemy does not offer the formulae to effectively use them.

I will be back shortly with the single most ridiculous 6th-level spheremighter build yet.

Quick Draw, Mixed Combat. Not sure what the third might be.

I do, but I'm not on my computer!

I wanna see this guy spread his seed

Wait... Captain Slow is that you?

Oh right, Improved Quick Draw so you can threaten area while weapon is sheathed.

Bushi's get that as a class feature instead, so I forgot about it.

Isn't there a 1st level Mithral Current stance that does that too?

Yes, but do you want to be stuck in a shitty 1st level stance just to use the discipline?

That was what I meant by 'overpowered' - and yeah, Vancian spells are way worse. It's just overpowered because it's overtuned, mostly.

Also one of Piercing Thunder's stances WAS made a feat. Yay for Stupendous Strength!

>Mithral current *requires* a 3-feat investment as well as an optional investment into a (usually) useless skill.
No it doesn't. Your maneuvers are better when you can quick draw/quick sheath, but it's not at all required. It has a trait tax, Agile Dancer, so that Perform (Dance) is Dex based and works for Acrobatics, and you're good.

N-No?

You're in a pfg game. Someone has applied with a tiefling. However it is not a cute tiefling with a nice butt, little hooves, and curly horns. It's a horrifying tiefling based on Astradaemon with overlong limbs, vibrant skin, needle teeth, and a back covered in writhing tentacles.

What do you do? Would you be ok playing with someone who doesn't know how to build a tiefling properly?

Ready the Draw also gives you Initiation Modifier based Combat Reflexes, which is pretty fucking great for anyone who's not a warder.

Quick draw normally would not be mandatory, since you can draw your weapon as part of initiating a mithral current maneuver; however it is a prerequisite for Improved Quick Draw and Mixed Combat, which however ARE mandatory, since otherwise the discipline would be non-functional.

Now, if you're going dex-based this hurts much, much worse. On top of all of this, you still need weapon finesse and deadly agility. Combat reflexes is also important, but falls to the wayside because it's not vital.

After all's said and done, Mithral Current doesn't really work right until 7th level unless you are a Bushi. It's a fantastic discipline locked behind paizo-levels of feat taxes. What makes this even worse is that it's the only Ex discipline in the entire book worth a damn because it's incredibly well designed outside of this awful quirk.

How much do you enjoy base management, /pfg/? Is it enough to know that your stronghold/house is there, and maybe to mark it on the map?

Would you want your GM to let you design one? Or would you find it more enjoyable to be rewarded with/assigned a map of your building and told to use the rooms therein as you wish?

I give them a thumbs up for being one of the few patricians out there that knows what tieflings are really about.

It's definitely not bad for a 1st level stance. It's pretty shitty to be stuck in when you access to higher level ones.

No. I'm fucking escatic I'm playing with someone with good tastes and understands what tieflings actually are

Does the tiefling embrace their evil heritage or try to strive against it to become something better?

That sounds like a Captain Slow idea

That's okay, they're entitled to how they want to play a tiefling. I'd recommend they tone it down somewhat- the appearance of a tiefling /suggests/ evil outsider blood. From that description, I'd say drop the tentacles on the back but otherwise, sounds good!

>doesn't know how to build a tiefling properly
You wouldn't bang that? What are you, a faggot?

user, I want to describe how much I gush at the idea of having a house or stronghold, but there's only so much to say with big fat thumbs.

I love it. I love it I love it I love it. I want to design it, decorate it and die in it. If you are offering than I would love to join your game.

Astradaemon-chan sounds like a cutie.
Just saying.

>Implying being a virile stud sowing your oats is a rare kink.

>flying over tyrannosaur, using debuffs
>allies yelling, can't be bothered, winning the game
>FUCKING PTERODACTYLS EVERYWHERE, FUCK
>get eaten because I'm too stupid to realize large predators leave things for scavenging birds to eat
>REALLY large predators have REALLY large scavenging birds

Is a one level bushi dip worth taking for this?

I never implied it wasn't, the wording just sounded familiar

It's appealing to me too

>How much do you enjoy base management, /pfg/?
Quite a bit, all things considered. I like to know where HQ is and what it looks like. I like to know about the NPCs who live there and flesh them out. I keep track of possessions like trophies, artwork, and money that my PC stores there.

>Would you want your GM to let you design one? Or would you find it more enjoyable to be rewarded with/assigned a map of your building and told to use the rooms therein as you wish?
Neither one is necessarily BAD, it's more to do with the context. If the PCs has claimed an abandoned fortress as their new headquarters, I wouldn't expect that we should design it (though if the DM wants to hand the responsibility off to the players, it's fine). On the other hand, if we're talking about some place the PCs built themselves, then it only makes sense that we get to decide the layout.

>How much do you enjoy base management, /pfg/? Is it enough to know that your stronghold/house is there, and maybe to mark it on the map?
I love base management more than you could ever imagine.

Serious Character: An ordinary family-man doctor forced to go adventuring for the greater good, using his medical knowledge to help himself along in whatever insane quest he's getting dragged into. Unfortunately I'll never get around to it because I have too many ideas to go through.

Joke character: A tiefling with an obsession with Lamashtu. #83 required. Possibly with a gimmick nonlethal build, for reasons you should all be very aware of.

It's a good stance, but not a well-designed one. You should never be obligated to stay locked into one stance *cough* piercing thunder *cough*

>Your maneuvers are better when you can quick draw/quick sheath, but it's not at all required.
Okay well that's fucking fantastic, but if you don't draw your weapon as part of a maneuver, Mithral current goes from one of the better disciplines to the absolute worst discipline between the two books. It means you at most get to initiate one maneuver a round provided you're fine with never moving beyond a 5-foot step, and eating as many AoO as a fucking crossbow user.

You'd honestly be better off with vital strike at that point.

If you're strong enough the GM doesn't feel it likely he's going to kill some or most of the party by throwing a T-Rex at you it's unlikely Pteranodons are going to be that threatening.

Oh my... Captain Slow's into breeding? That explains why he liked Amalthea so much!

Thank you! The party departed from their home in Dragonsfjord to make the 3 day travel to the nearby township of Bronten, where the Bront family has led for generations.

Along the way they were stopped by a Fairy dragon (named Pinkie) and her sidekick Smoky (a Smoke dragon), along with a magically minded Kobold that they didn't get the name of, as Pinkie had set a Pit Trap to pull a prank on any passing travelers. Our poor fighter Ororakas was leading the caravan on his own horse and was the victim to the trap, falling in a couple of times over the course of the encounter due to some well timed Grease.

The small dragons were punished for their sins and taken by Tess while they were knocked out to be studied. After doing so he built a Drake Companion modeled after the design of their bodies.

After these shenanigans the party came to rest at a campsite, where they were beset upon by an Assassin Vine and some Skeletons (including an Owlbear skeleton!) that seemed to have been prior victims of the Vine, animated back to unlife by some latent negative energy lingering in the air.

Undeterred, the party continued on until they finally got to Bronten, where they found the man's estate in a bit of a panic. It seems that Bront's young 12-year-old daughter had been taken hostage by some yet-unknown thugs and he was putting everyone on the force on the case to try and find her. The PCs offered their services in exchange for the Artifact they were sent to retrieve, even getting Bront to sign it before stomping away yelling about how everyone around him was incompetent.

We left off for the night with the party figuring out where the secret base of the thugs they believe took her was through some interrogation of the local populace, and have begun preparations to figure out what exactly their angle for getting in will be.

Does anyone know any good evil outsiders based around prophesy or fucked up eyes?

I'm looking for a tiefling variety to base my WWW character off of.

Play an evil Norn!

Nope. You still need two feats that the Bushi gets at level 6 (well it gets one feat and the other feat's effects as a class feature).

Again, you can play a Mithral Current user without these feats, but you lose out on a lot of the "cool" aspects of the Discipline.

Things like shooting sword beams, attacking someone before you step out of range, or rushing across the battlefield to hit a mage trying to cast a spell.

I must hug this tiefling

I know, right? What a lewd guy. I have to agree with him though- who /wouldn't/ do lewd things to Amalthea?

Look through breeds of Qlippoth.

One big creature, one save, one win.

Seven medium creatures not in a row or cone area, seven different saves, seven chances to take damage and be killed; or worse, fall where the t-rex eats you.

And it's not even unrealistic - you're a smaller creature flying around, so you're going to attract the attention of predators that can fly, and have a fierce competition for food. Happens all the damn time on nature shows.