/CofD/ & /wodg/ Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness General

Previous thread: >Pastebin:
pastebin.com/xrKUUi0A
>News
theonyxpath.com/release-roundup-january-2017/
paradoxinteractive.com/en/white-wolf-partners-with-focus-home-interactive-for-a-video-game-adaptation-of-the-world-of-darkness-storyteller-game-werewolf-the-apocalypse/
This week's Monday Meeting Notes:
theonyxpath.com/whats-the-deal-monday-meeting-notes/
>Question:
Have you ever used Nazism/Nazi occultism in a game before?

Alright, so I'm going to guess this is mostly all ST fiat stuff but I might as well ask. Do the books give any advice/rules for founding a new compact?

>Obligatory begging for someone to share the Dark Eras Companion

So how about dem mummy/mage crossover rules. You can steal pillars with a weaving spell using the appropriate subtle arcana.

After seeing a few butchered attempts at the Blank Badges, and the irritation people have with what they're going to be in 2e, I decided to write up an adaptation of the 1e verison.

Enjoy 1.8

It was a little irritating trying to think up an Occultation Optional Arcanum for each Attainment level. I left Occultation as the rather than Mind. You need some Occultation to Initiate, and after that it's all optional, you should still need to increase your Mind to advance in your Attainments, especially as Occultation has a 3 dot limit...

Though perhaps I should let them increase that to 5 as the first Optional... Food for thought.

I've got enough motivation (and free time) for another Legacy today. Anyone got any requests?

how do I st a game of WtF

>Archmaster

Spirit 9 Transfiguration is capable of enslaving Luna, as previously mentioned time and time again. Would make for a great supervillain plot with the Uratha as the ragtag band of heroes, and the super-wizard as Dr. Evil.

Of course, plot device / armor would be an absolute necessity to even make the attempt at defeating the Seeker, not too dissimilar from the many Conan novels, with the stereotypical evil sorcerer outmatching the barbarian.

>Spirit 9 Transfiguration is capable of enslaving Luna
It's actually capable of turning her into a Rank 1 Spirit of offensive body odour.
Or a single point of Essence resonant with foot-stools.

That's just cruel.

Some user had asked a while ago for the Sisterhood of the Blessed.

So I've delivered. They're fucking fantastic.. Incredibly lucky masters of social grace who can gain access to all manner of bullshit social merits with minimal effort, and temporarily assume a mantle of Fame.

I especially like the Third Attainment I wrote for them.
It's a Fate Veiling spell, which ensure that no matter what happens to them, it doesn't seem like it's either luck, or fate. So when she makes a cool million on cards, that's normal. When she throws a stapler at an assailant, and it hits him right in the temple and knocks him unconscious? That's normal tool.

Also your Destiny and Fate spells are occluded and yada yada yada.

Can Beast the Primordial be saved?

Should it be?

I don't think it needs to. I mean what's the issue with just ignoring it and playing the other lines instead?

Why are werewolves ro racist in WtA?

Something that I've been unhappy with in all the Requiem games I've participated in was that there wasn't much focus on immortality.

I want to run a game that starts in New Orleans during the height of the civil war and follows the PCs to the present day.

Anybody see any major roadblocks if I try to run a game like this?

But anons beast overlaps with all games and fits perfectly in with every other game line. You should always have at least one Beast player in any group.

You have to take off your post-modern jew goggles to understand tribal warfare

Turn it into "Heroes: the Archetypal" and make Beasts the antagonists.

Already did it, and they are still racists (or at least very dumb). Maybe you coul enlighten me?

Look up Dunning-Kruger effect and the illusion of asymmetric insight

>Have you ever used Nazism/Nazi occultism in a game before?

Sweet christ no, at best it'd come off as edgy fedora-lord shit.

-someone/something shitty has invaded the territory
-someone/something is raping spirits/your packmates
-someone/something is hunting innocents/YOU

I don't know what else drives WtF. You could make a fetish as a side quest.

How are you going to break up the time periods? How are you going to connect and string along the events of the past?

Each major chapter in the story would be a different decade. I was thinking more 'slice of life' no great evil, no prophecies, no world ending apocalypse, just the cursed and the damned trying to survive centuries of violence.

Well that sounds like fun, maybe have a distinct underlying conflict for each decade. In the 20s, the Circle of the Crone gets out of control, in the 50s a blood plague goes around, etc

working on a homebrew of it.

Going with a beasts get a semi morality by blending in with other splats and that is put in jeopardy when they don't act the way they should(they get a patchwork morality based on who is in their family, and doing things their family members don't like makes them loose their appetite), merging with your horror is harder but stronger(so is getting Satiety), nightmares are powerful but contagious and hard to get rid of, Atavisms are a massive pain in the ass to do anything with and so much a touching one makes them somehow feel more broken then they already are.

Also heroes start with High integrity and get most their shit from spending willpower and shit I'm still working on it its in Alpha.

Like holy bloody hell beast base has some really weird power curves and trying to get a consistent 'feel' is like sending your dick threw a cheese grater.

Hey, so Forsaken by Rome is extremely good, probably the best chapter in Dark Eras Companion. Someone should run a Forsaken by Rome/Requiem for Rome campaign.

So has anyone on the General made homebrew Changeling courts with the 2E preview?

You should post it so we can see the new Pure rules.

Does anyone have a picture of a sad werewolf? I need it for a thing and I can't find any good ones in my normal place

>sad werewolf

Apparently the Roanoke Geist Dark Eras features a new Threshold, the Pias Threshold (Death by faith), you pick any one starting key and your dm picks the other.

What!?!?!?

Does the Mummy / Mage crossover material worsen or alleviate the mage supremacy discussion?

Every time I see the image I made as the OP I cry.

Beast doesn't have a 'power curve', which is part of the problem. Starting Beasts are basically chainsaws, and they don't particularly scale. They just buy more chainsaws.

If you're reworking Beast to be in line with the other splats, that is a fuck ton of work because you basically need to create power trees.

*Pious Threshold, and some mention about abmortals, that's about as much as I know about it from what's been posted. Aside from Geist also getting a bigger than sidebar chunk of info for the Mutapa Era in the book as well.

Worsen. Always worsen.

It'll only worsen things cause Mage Supremacy discussion never gets better, though I imagine the greatest controversy might be how the Mages in the crossover have a dramatically different cosmological view than regular Mages, rejecting the idea of Supernal Realms, Paths, and Orders entirely. Doesn't change the basic Mage framework, mind, but I'm tempted to be a bit cheeky and call it more of a... different Paradigm.

How terrible an idea is an elderly gunslinger outlaw who was Embraced after his retirement went wrong in a 1915 Vampire the Masquerade game?

Ridiculous, or workable?

How old are we talking here? 60s? 70s? 80s?

What's the best splat and why is it Wraith?

Please, I beg of you /cofdg/, we have new content, be merciful, spare me from your Mage Supremacy until the new Eras have been discussed.

Best splat is mokolé

60s, maybe 70s was my plan.

Okay that's more feasible.
Probably worth to have the whole "You used to be hot shit, now look at you faggot, want eternal life? You've just got to be my bitch? Who am I kidding, I'm giving it to you anyway".

It's really weird that if you treat the big hook of Year Without a Summer as canon, Mary Shelley is the first Demiurge of the entire Promethean Lineage.

Yeah. I figure he was hot shit years ago, but now he's an old murderer with regrets and suddenly fucking immortality. Not sure if I want to go Embraced against his will for the shock factor, or willingly went for it as a way to avoid the death age was dealing him. I mean, this guy is DEFINITELY expecting to go to hell.

Thinking Gangrel, Brujah, or maybe Toreador- not sure about the last one, but I figure it'd be hilarious if a Toreador fell in love with the "romance" of the cowboy and found this old legend and turned him.

Clearly a false flag mage shitposter.

Archmages > Caine

I'd assume he's old and crotchety so he'd think the other dude's shitting him, and would want nothing to do with it.

Until he wakes up feeling moderately cross, hungry, and stronger than he's been in years.

It would be hilarious if his Toreador Beauty aspect was triggered by the beauty of a shot.

After shooting some guy right in the eye, he's stand there for a few seconds, entraced by the gorgeous placement of his own bullet.

Before suddenly shaking himself back into full consciousness and realising he's got more people to shoot.

>something only a magefag would type

See, I like that. It's also both proper for a Toreador, while not being cooky-cutter high-society art lover. Nothing pleases me more than staying in theme while deviating from stereotype. Staying in theme being the key there.

Toreador also means I have celerity, which as a gunslinger is pretty damn important.

Entropy here to ruin your games.

I am a proud magefag

KNOT PRIDE

S-stop it. Mages aren't for werefags.

The forbidden union.

Would it be unmanly of me to cry over what has become of our beloved Chronicles of Fagness?

It would certainly be unMagely

This. Heroes dindu nuffin, they're just super-hunters.

How much does clan influence behavior?

Like, if I'm a working class joe and I, for whatever reason get embraced by a Ventrue, will I become snobbish and elitist? Likewise, if I'm a drooling caveman, and I get embraced by Toreador, will I suddenly start reciting poems on the beauty of NASCAR, or outright change in taste?

How much of a clan is culture and how much is inherent?

Almost all of it is culture.

Bar the elements which are directly caused by, or a rational reaction to their curse.

Also worth pointing out that unless sire is being ironic he will look to embrace someone who has simmilar outlooks in life. Someone who subscribes to simmmilar values etc.

And their access to disciplines. That's sorta both.

But then again Hero falling down would be the same as Hunter turning into Slasher

Just strip it for parts that are usable in other games and dump the rest

Isn't Toreador known for embracing tv stars and artists? Hardly all of them would follow the flow.

Well they will obviously differ in details but poet from middle ages will still probably consider embracing someone who stars in PBS show than say construction worker

Running an Orpheus campaign soon. Any tips?

Ideas from where I could swipe plots for missions?

So, anyone willing to make a summary of the Mutapa crossover? How mages interact with Mummy stuff, mage beliefs etc...

For a vampire game, do I need to tailor my characters for their clan, or create them and then pick one?

CofD or oWoD

OWoD.

One cool method that's been posted here a couple of times is to build up your character as a human, turn the info into your ST, and let him decide which vampire from whichever clan is most likely to Embrace your character.

That IS cool- I think I might do just that.

How fucked is a Caitiff in a Camarilla/Anarch game?

What does everyone think of the various Fae games?

For me, I'm rather conflicted because I loved Changeling: The Lost but felt it didn't exactly get the True Fae right (in that they're not all cruel, malignant creatures).

I really loved Dark Ages: Fae as well, but it one of its main problems is that it doesn't have specific types of Fae (though that's entirely possible to have in the game).

The one I have the most beef with is Changeling: The Dreaming. It could have been a great game, but it felt so out of place in WoD. I've heard many people say it's one of WW's darkest games (and it very well could be), but the books never really conveyed that to many. Everything looked to bright and happy and just felt a bit too fantasy and less 'creativity and dreams are dying and we're hurtling towards an age of soullessness'.

If Changeling: The Dreaming had the darker and grimmer feel of Dark Ages: Fae, I think it could have been much better.

What do you guys think?

Dreaming is grimdark, but it's been rolled in glitter.
This pissed off the people that wanted glitter, because they poked it and found grimdark, AND the people that wanted grimdark, because it's covered in glitter.

Okay so hear me out guys. I've been wanting to start a vampire game, since none are being run in my area, it's just I've never really run a game before. Or played an extensive campaign. I think things are good for setup so far, decided to do our area and surrounding area rather than a city we've never been to for this test run with my two friends, maybe can wrangle a third. And I thought up a kind of interesting setup to our immediate game.

My big question is - what is the most often way to set up a game? I mean, I know a lot of the lore, but my friends don't. How am I supposed to do this? The only way I can think of really is we make it an adventure together, so they were literally only turned a few days ago, or few weeks ago, so that they're all very new to this, both irl and ingame. But the thing is, it seems nearly all setups, by the book at least, and in lore, have neonates under training for months or even years before they get to go into a coterie with others. Or am I reading it wrong? I mean Bloodlines showed you can do a sudden embrace and push out into the world, but I got the impression it's extremely unusual.

And also, right now we have so few people, is it possible to play the game well? I mean for now I'm doubling as both the GM and the Baron-Prince-thing of the city right now. And while I don't have trouble so far separating me as GM vs me as a character, I figure it's really unusual to do this. Any help? Does it look like things will turn out okay?

I did this off the bat for the test run with friends. It went better than expected.

Hmm I would say you should rather focus on your role as a GM than do the double duty. Remeber that every NPC is in fact your character to act as and this will be difficult enough.

Also maybe backtrack a bit and if they are vampires for only short ammount of time go back to them as humans play as this and then figure out the way in with they were changed.

We did do a session playing as them as humans, on the night of their Embrace. Figured out their Clan through that and through extensive interview and asking them what they thought they were, and weighing that against a set of calculations and the like.

Also, if you put it like that, I should be fine then with double duty, since the Prince-Baron-guy is mostly just a recurring character, not a character I will be actively playing with in every scene. I have no intention of becoming the story, so to say.

That said, I did think of a couple interesting things to happen to that character. So it won't be a one off, but it won't be a permanent character or part of their coterie.

I do like the set up of the scenario so far though, may keep that if we go beyond the test game.

Alright. IMHO the most important thing I can advise is writing everything down - characters events etc. Even if only a bullet points. This way you want be surprised when players decide to revisit some minor detail. Also you can build from those points when you and players will become more familiar with the game.
Also do not get stuck with a single plot in a way that it might force you to improvise and railroad. I in general try to think about stuff that happens in the city and what NPCs might be doing so I can throw some minor sidequests/plots.

I don't want to sound like I'm treating you like a idiot by giving you obvious advice. I'm just stressing what helped me

how should you pace an idigam chronicle? how should players spec their characters to deal with the idigam, assuming between 3-4 pc's and they're all werewolves.

How many games are you planning? Are you willing to give them handouts and allies or are they supposed to deal with idigam on their own?

No don't worry, I'm definitely not taking it that way. I guess my note system could do with some work, for sure. Yeah, I'm definitely trying to avoid railroading, and if they throw me a curve ball, I'm trying to tell myself roll with it as best as possible. We actually had a bit of that in character creation, and I think in the end we ended up with more fun for everyone. The way I figure at least as far as GMing goes, I won't make everything lore wise apparent, or that they can't just ask me anything about say, where their powers can go, since they're supposed to be turned over the head yesterday.

What about sidequests though? That's something for sure someone could help me on. I know the Prince or another elder of some kind gets the coterie to do tasks, but I figure there's lots out there besides his/her tasks - how do I let them do what they want to do? Or they pick up on sidequests that are not as immediately apparent?

I tend to think about like this:
NPCS have their own plans and likes/dislikes. In large city there will be number of factions that do stuff all the time and do not wait for players to stumble into them and activate the cutscene. Put some timeline and events that may occur and have players stumble upon it when they are in the right place at the right time . Or don't and have that plot fire off later on without them being involved.
But also remeber they are new vampires and their sire or someone appointed by the prince will likely watch/babysit them so you have steady source of fetchquests.

Another thing is letting your players do their own upkeep. Feeding, dealing with the fallout of their mortal lives
>Mums visiting omgomg
blundering their first attempts at vampiric powers and so on can take up a lot of time but will help them get into the world and what happened with their characters

minorly willing to to give them handouts and allies. I want them to feel like badasses or die trying, but less of the dying and more of the badassery. I don't know how many games I should have planned though. this is all very early stages of planning.

It depends on the domain, but Cammies tend to ignore you if you're not a thin blood or a Masquerade breaker, but you'll have trouble to get in a position of power since you don't have a clan as a base. In most Anarch domains you're just another vampire.

Anyone know where to find HoL? I can't seem to find an archive with it

Has anyone ever tried using characters, monsters and items from the Cthulhu Mythos in the CoD or WoD? Did you modify them? How did it go?

I would say it depends on the indigam then. Do they need to cover all the bases because indigam will engage them on various fronts or can they just go SMASH!? If you are planning game with more subtel indigam you should probably pace things slower and make them run few circles IMHO

I want the threat to be credibly powerful, and have it be a slow run up to a subtle idigam. at least I think it might be a good way to have things go. what I really need are ideas for skill/gear checks, just examples though; I'm not looking for someone else to write the chronicle for me.

That reminds me.

Can you stat pic related in CoD or WoD?

Vampire Landon Ricketts sounds amazing to me

It may be a really powerful Earthbound in Demon the Fallen.

So, Old Clint Eastwood as a vampire? Sounds cool.

A Vampire character usually takes 5 years to be trained into the ways of Vampire Society, and their disciplines. If you want to start a game where they are suddenly embraced they must be taken with extreme care by the Embracer and that would limit their freedom a lot. One of the very few cases would be a game of only Brujah, or Caitiff in an Anarch enviroment, or a Sabbath game where Vampires randomly embrace people to create shock troops, but they don't even know what's going most of the time they are controlled by their Beasts. You can make them play some Shock Troopers that survived the first fight and they were awarded to stay into the Sabbat society and make a Vaulderie, along with some ideas of what's going on, that would mean more freedom.

The third option would be just... Malkavian Prince, but that's a big nono in most games.

Since the subnet and raumwalrus got taken down, has a successor site stepped forward? It was a dead handy tool for easing new players into games.

I love Orpheus but never played. I'd run it like like goth Indiana Jones, but instead of temples it's places in the Underworld, and instead of hunting artifacts, they are interacting with ghosts in different ways. Resolve a mysterious death, recover dead secrets, break or steal fetters, mild ghost politics. Perhaps a powerful revenant is unleashed in the Skinlands with a mission to hunt PC characters, sabotage or recover stolen items.