Do you play RPGs for fun, Veeky Forums?

Do you play RPGs for fun, Veeky Forums?

No, I play RPGs to escape from my shitty reality.

No, I play them to slowly leech off of the magical powers they subtly emanate so that I may sustain my long dead vessel

Do you think if you spent less time on RPGs your reality might be less shitty?

>2017
>having fun
Nice meme, norman :^)

Why the hell else would you play such a dorky game

>outlet for creativity
>story creation
>self-actualization
>escapism
>intellectual satisfaction

This. 'Fun' really is a lazy buzzword and I feel people mostly use it to hide their true motives for playing a game. Someone saying "i play for fun" probably just wants to be indulged, pandered to and pampered WITHOUT really engaging in any of the things you mentioned.

Exactly. If someone says they play RPGs for "fun," I can tell they are the kind of person I don't want in my group.

Not always, but it's a red flag. I get it especially from female players, and from the MtG convert crowd. No idea why.

>fun is a buzzword
Hello /v/

You know they might be saying "Fun" because it's a term used to designate that they enjoy something and possibly derive satisfaction from it in some manner.

How many layers of irony are you working on?

>inb4 "succ"

SUCK

No i do them as a sort of event because i think the idea is fun.

I especially don't enjoy DMing. I say this like i was always aware of it but i just realised this after my last game.

'Fun' is a hollow concept because it simply denotes enjoyment. It doesn't contain any sense of quality or merit and can't be used as a comparative measure. Using 'fun' as the prime metric is merely retreating into limp post-modern relativism where sitting around blowing rasberries is held to be every bit as good as mastering a musical instrument, writing the great American novel, or collaborating with others in a tabletop RPG to create a narrative and solve complex problems. 'Fun' is the term people turn to when they've run out of arguments.

If someone says the most important factor in an RPG is to 'have fun', it's a surefire sign that they understand nothing deeper and won't be invested in anything game-related. Their PCs will be a shallow collection of 'quirky' traits, in-game they'll be on their phones half the time and spouting memes the rest. GMs who worship at the altar of 'fun' are those who never really challenge their players - encounters are never lost, quests are never failed, and PCs never die, all because the GM fudges the dice and handwaves away any flaws in the players' plans. Every retarded meme idea that the lolsorandumbs come up with will be pandered to. Every Mary Sueflake character concept will be allowed. There will be no coherent plan for the campaign because the GM just wants to provide 'fun' in some pathetic, desperate bid for approval.

I avoid playing with anyone who throws the term 'fun' around casually. I look for players who have a bit of depth. If they say things like "I enjoy a mathematical challenge" or "I take pleasure in exploring the setting lore from within and deconstructing its problematic binary-opposites" or "I like finding solutions to the fictional problems we come across in our game" then I know I'm talking to someone who is not an idiot, and they might be alright. If they just say "Lol i play 4 le fun XDDDDD" then I am talking to another retard from the Cult of Fun, and their influence will only be negative.

I find most of those things to be "fun".
Call me lazy, but it is accurate to say that I do play for fun, it's a single word that denotes that I do it because I like to, if you want to know why I find it fun, then I would elaborate on the details.

You should stop getting triggered so easily.

>I know I'm talking to someone who is not an idiot, and they might be alright.
>MIGHT BE
Wow, how hard is it to find people that are "alright" for your games?

While I do get the fact that the Memephile kids that will always play a Chaotic and/or Evil character because it's "fun" are the worst people to have in any kind of game, I find it very odd that using a simple expression of enjoyment will cause some of you guys to dismiss anyone as shallow and unworthy.

Well, at least you did say that you avoid people that throw the term fun around casually, so you imply that you don't just dismiss the person outright just for using the forbidden F word, so I guess you're cool.

What's wrong with her faaaaaace?

Exposure to ME:A.

Here's your (You) I guess

This faggot again?

Feather boa pasta is better.

I'd post it but I get a ban every time I do.

Yes. I unironically have fun roleplaying with my friends.

Autist found

Quality and merit beyond mere efficiency at performing a function are only perceived and held in the mind of an observer. They are not objective or inherent.

What? You don't do RPGs for fun! Gaming isn't FUN!

Judaism.

>ME:A.
What?

She looks pretty cute to me, what's the problem?

Polish face

What if I derive fun from those very things he mentioned, you goddamn sperg?

Mass Effect: Andromeda.

The only Veeky Forums game I really play any more is Magic

>only play casual kitchen table Magic with a small group of friends
>everyone else only focused on winning and stuffing decks with goodstuff
>I just want to be a necromancer and play lots of zombie tokens
>everyone else makes new decks to outdo each other and I just make more zombie tokens
>Shepherd of Rot is my most consistent win-con

I've pretty much only used zombie decks for the last fifteen years

I try but so far hasn't worked out.

I remember playing casual kitchen table magic with my friends. I had a bitchin mono-walls deck with Assault Formation and Helix Pinnacle as a wincon.

It's a shame they don't really play anymore, though.

And how would you describe these things that you enjoy? In a word how would describe these things
I know these are bait and "fun is a buzzword" is a meme, but it gets me every time.

The nose. It's way too thin

yes. plus character building is fun. writing a good back story is amusing. and so is dicking the GM's plans.

Yes...? That's a weird question to ask. It's a game, if it weren't fun to me, I wouldn't play it.

I play to get my bros together anf have fun and drink beer. I DM to have something to think about and work on in my downtime. I don't like droll conversation and mindlessness.

>mastering a musical instrument, writing the great American novel
Your argument relies on an assumption things like these have value.

You could just write fan-fiction with yourself as Mary Sue in it for precisely same effect

What makes the difference is social interaction with other people at the table

They have. Even if you skip the "artsy" part and "self-realisation" bullshit, they still have value.

Monetary value.

CUTE

>fun

DONT EVER CHANGE FELLOW NECROMANCER

It's not always fun, but it's a social activity and a means to regularly stay in touch with old friends.

Kind of the role that the church used to play in communities.