What type of magic is forbidden in your world? Why?

What type of magic is forbidden in your world? Why?

All of them.

No, despite what /pol/ tells everyone, they didn't meme magic Trump into office.

The only thing worst than trying to force the dead back to life is trying to directly manipulate the soul itself.

The dragonborn in my custom setting are the result of humans doing that and turning themselves into Dragons. However, the process of directly turning a human into a dragon is long since lost so they can only create partial dragon creatures through breeding with pure humans.

In essence, they are the dragon version of Deep Ones. And they are only tolerated because people who have attempted to copy this technique invariably created various monsters that now roam the world and have irreversably altered the ecology of the world.

Holy magic. It is seen as presumptuous and heretical that a mortal man should steal the power of heaven. Unholy magic is frowned upon, but some practitioners use it under the logic that they are in fact taking power from the underworld, and thus weakening it.

Magic that directly effects the body is "iffy". It's not particularly viewed as evil or forbidden, but people who take advantage of it are seen as stupid, crazy, or both.

Certain branches of necromancy. All necromancy is iffy, but like any tool it can be put to good use. Anything that involves sacrifice and copious amounts of fel oil is generally bad.

Demon summoning and communion is generally a horrible idea. The amount of ways you, and everyone near you, can die horribly is staggering.

Also void-magic, which makes reality melt. Not to be confused with raw energy magic, which does the same thing but more colorfully.

Vitamancy and chronomancy.

Vitamancy is only known by a select few taught by Vitario the god of life, and they practice in secret, not wanting to draw the attention of his sister, Moriri, goddess of death. Vitario has grown bold, so more incomplete practice taught by his agents has been seen lately.

Achaenros, god of time, order, and the passing of days, holds strict control of the flow of time, and any tampering is swiftly quelled with a visit from his hounds.

The one powered by cannibalism.

I mean, it's powered by eating random things in general, but it's easier if you just eat the hopes, dreams and flesh of others. Unless you've got a way to eat molten gold or stars or something.

Yeah man. I saw Doctor Strange too.
Fucking with time magic is just a bad idea.

>No, despite what /pol/ tells everyone, they didn't meme magic Trump into office.
With enough dubs, I can make you believe you're an anime catboy

don't trifle with me

Illusions because they are a preversion of creation and certain types of necromancy, specifically anything which manipulates specific human souls.

In addition there is a nomadic culture who's magic is forbidden because it cannot be rationalized by the researchers at the imperial mages guild.

YOU cannot do anything, any power you hold comes to you from far beyond.

"Infinity stones are powerful, mysterious, and one is enough to gain the attention of the hideous THANOS!"
"lol imma wear it around my neck and use it to supplement for lack of talent"

Time travel and time magic opens too many cans of worms. Best to nip it in the bud and just say that magic time monsters eat you if you try anything.

Do you not see a kindred spirit then, fa/tg/uy?

It's foolish, but I find it harder to cope with the idea that Trump was put in office because of foolishness from 30% of American voters instead of the will of an Egyptian chaos god and several experimental wizards who only ask "can" but not "should".

Mind magic is considered forbidden, since it makes a mockery of free will and individual thought.
Necromancy is ok as long as it's just reanimation and the corpse is made unrecognizable, but full on resurrection and identity restoration/preservation is ok as long as it's consensual and inscribed in a legal will document.
Torture and maiming is highly fucking illegal, especially with magic.

Necromancy.

Because in my main setting, it is pure entropy. It literally brings the universe closer and closer to heat death the more people use it.

>because of foolishness from 30% of American voters

Please shut up. Please, please shut up. I can't speak for everybody, but I come to this board to enter magical lands 1000 universes removed from words like "cucklord" and "cishet".

Just please stop talking or talk about OP's question.

Everything is permitted. Nothing is safe.

Even an angel is another kind of monster - to become one with the holy powers you draw upon is to distance yourself from humanity.

>thinking I'm from tumblr because I think the wall is inefficient in dealing with illegal immigration
>thinking I'm from tumblr because I think the travel ban of multiple Muslim-majority countries is impractical and is throwing away an excessive amount of our liberties

I bet you think I voted for Clintontron-2000, too. A common /pol/ack mistake.

>Achaenros, god of time, order, and the passing of days, holds strict control of the flow of time, and any tampering is swiftly quelled with a visit from his hounds.

Wouldn't blame him. Time Wizards can fuck shit up with the slap of a few dice.

Why is humanity considered a universally good thing? Humans are herd animals that are prone to succumbing to stupidity and fear. Why can't we transcend into better beings?
>inb4 muh nature
Nature is mindless, callous, and wretched. Nature frolics in its own filth and ignorance. Humanity is just a step up from nature.

everything

Depends on the region, but for most areas demonology and necromancy (which is a subset).

Necromancy works by shoving demons into corpses and enslaving them to your will. Since the demon doesn't have to create a body for itself it has more power. Necromancers use weak demons since they are easier to enslave but still strong enough to fuck shit up.

Even they need some witches to navigate, for their passage through the warp on crusades, don't they?

I think nobody told the black templars that it's a psycher who's piloting the ships

Anything that controls people against their will and mind control.

Burn someone alive with magic then you will be hanged.

Mind control or body control them into suicide and you will be hanged,drawn and quartered.

He dares blaspheme against the Bringer of Chaos

A foolish move indeed

The official UN stance is to ban all of it. Using magic causes tears in the fabric of reality that demons, fey, and other horrific monstrosities can crawl through.

Hasn't stopped shadier organizations and countries from making extensive use of it, though.

Necromancy because it can spiral out of control very easily with zombie hordes and such, plus bringing the dead back to life is immoral

Angelology is forbidden because the gods themselves will try to kill you for learning it.

Other then that most magic types are fairly legal in most places. Necromancy is Illegal in the vampire states due to the danger it could have on the ruling class. Demon summoning is heavily frowned upon but isn't considered illegal because most demons are weak willed cowards so as long as the user is proven skilled there shouldn't be too much social issues from them.

In the furthest corners of the world where the creatures of iron live lighting based magic is considered banned due to the danger of damaging the machines living there.

In the bigger scale true forbidden magic is based more on the authorities around and what spirits they are connected to and who is the local gods then anything objective.

All magic is forbidden.
All power must flow from the Theocracy. All power that does not stem from the Holy Church is heretical, treasonous, and blasphemes against the Church and the Goddess.

To practice magic is to invite the demon into your soul. To attaint yourself with the arcane is to invite mutation.

To anyone who has seen someone, or knows of someone who has used magic or practiced magic, turn them in! Civic deeds do not go unrewarded. And contrarywise, complicity with the magic-user will not go unpunished.

Be wise. Be safe. Be aware.

Evocation.

It violates the NAP

Most of necromancy is forbidden, but there are exceptions. The Ur-Lich sent plagues all over the world and amassed legions of undead, this was like the Bubonic Plague condensed in one century erevywhere at the same time. Even reanimating a giant's severed hand and using it as a mount is a big no-no.

Ressurecting someone whose soul already reincarnated gets you divine reprisals. It goes against the Cosmic Order of Things.

Chimeras derived from Gu magic are also forbidden in many places. This stuff exists only to do harm and kills even its user too often.

Curses are okay if they have a therapeutic purpose.

Technogestalt forbids any and all magic. The grey oil they use to augment their steampunk doesn't count.

Almost all nations are against pacts with devils, for Hell and its consumption of souls is like a cosmic myiasis in the Universe. If you bargained any soul beyond yours, the god of death itself will go after you. After it gets you, you will die over and over again.

Magic that fucks with souls. The gods REALLY, REALLY hate shit that fucks with the intake of souls and the magic that they contain. Necromancers who bind souls to shit (like skeletons) are hated (but the ensouled things are tolerated), and things like liches that bind their soul to something are especially hated since they defy the gods and in the case of liches which must absorb souls, remind the gods of their earliest days.

Depends on the nation. If you're willing and able to travel you can probably find somewhere that'll let you do whatever you want.

Proctolomancy is a power shrouded in mystery. Most practitioners of the art use their power for good, but there are always some who wield it only for their own dark and selfish purposes. Taught at the Tower of the Hand, the secrets are known to few. It is unwise to offend any arch-proctolomancer, however, be they good or evil.

Necromancy for the same reasons as early doctors
In order to practice the craft you need a supply of corpses so you either dig them up thus desecrating the grave or you kill someone and use them
Also unless the necromancer knows what hes doing and has prepared the proper potions unguents and salves needed to properly preserve the specimen you get all the problems of a rotting corpse in your basement lab

Long story short it's banned for cultural religious and sanitary reasons

What spells are typically cast by proctolomacers? Sounds like it could get messy.

Psionics are looked on with suspicion due to a connection with the Far Realms, which pose a real threat in the world, but other than that there is nothing forbidden. Everything has reasons to exist and is practiced somewhere in the world.

Spells above level six.
Not that one can't, just that the powers that be frown upon doing so.

The branch of Arcane magic that delves into time manipulation.

in all settings infact. I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH..
DO
NOT
MESS
WITH
TIIIIIIIME, WIZARD.

LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOOOOOOO

a whole lotta /pol/ shit in this thread.

Several.

Love potions are considered rape drugs and punished accordingly.

Stuff that binds/attempts to harm a soul is punished by the gods themselves. Lily white innocent incidents: "my wife and I were binding our souls to a phylactery in case the other was vaporized beyond resurrection, so the living one could make a new body, and yes we put a safety on it to release within several days." are punished with death, but not damnation. More malevolent attempts are met with damnation or annihilation.

Demon summoning is forbidden out of common sense. Demons are not your friends. Demons fucking hate you, down to the very last molecule of feces in your bowels. If a demon is trying to be your friend, it is because it wants to use and then dispose of you, or because it wants to see if it can kill you in an amusing way.

On the flipside, a good person with strong willpower, religious faith, or both can tell a demon without a host to GTFO of reality.

As an earlier poster said, time travel is forbidden unless it's to stop an extinction level event. Why? Remember Atlantis? Exactly.

STOPIT.

I
「PICK UP THE COFFEE」
TO REJECT YOUR DESIRE TO KEEP ME DOWN LIKE SLEEP

DON'T YOU FUCKING DO IT.

Rolled 1 + 1 (1d4 + 1)

SLAP PHASE

Anything to do with souls after death. The gods are really fucking ornery when it comes to copyright.

THATS IT.
YOU'RE BANNED, YOU'RE BANNED FROM MY KINGDOM.

Rolled 7 (1d12)

I
「IGNORE THE STOP SIGN」
TO INVALIDATE YOUR BAN

ITS TOO LATE, YOU CANNOT STOP
LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOO

):

Rolled 1 (1d12)

NO
I CANNOT LEAVE A SITUATION WITH PEOPLE UNHAPPY
I
「PEEL THE ORANGE」
TO REMOVE ALL BARRIERS TO THE SWEET JUICE OF GOODNESS

The Frog Hath Spoken!

Magic of mass destruction, ever since a magocracy went Hiroshima on their enemies one too many times. Mind-reading and mind control are not outlawed per se, but you can't cast it willy-nilly. Similarly, necromancy is permitted but you may not desecrate the remains of innocent people.

Are the hounds aberrations?

Most magic is acceptable.

It's when you try and mix different magics together that bad shit starts to happen.

Be a space mage all you want. The moment you mix fire and space together, people are going to want to murder you, so you don't accidentally create, say, a sun.

Of course.

Blood magic is universally reviled but there's only a ban on it among the laws of the societies of the world.

Magic which messes with time, time travel, stuff like that, is forbidden on a fundamental "Laws of the Universe" level.

Earth magic.
Doesnt help earth-wizards are basically in setting satan's (nonwilling) fuccbois

Most magic in the setting is acceptable under specific circumstances. Only skilled practitioners are allowed to perform magic with the aid of special tools that channel the power from the elemental realms. So in actuality, wizards are more like the owners of dams who can open the floodgates and shut them again when needed. Magic is abhorred when "naturals" use it, "naturals" are people born with the ability to use magic without a tool. Unfortunately for naturals, they are the equivalent of a dirty peasant with an extremely poor ability to think ahead and lots of explosives walking up to the carefully controlled dams of the wizards and just blasting a hole through to grab a cup full of water, then throwing said cup of water into a kettle and boiling most of it away. With every spell they use no matter how minor, they punch irreparable holes that leak elemental energy into our plane. Due to a lot of naturals liking fire, my world setting is slowly turning into a desert, and my current party is researching how to put patches on the burst dams.

Meme magic.
It has already doomed the world. We are just struggling to survive before it totally collapses

ON THE LAST EPISODE OF
LOS MAGOS DEL TIEMPOOOOOOO

Most people don't know or care about magic enough to outlaw it or something such.
Earth Incarnate wants to get rid of all magic, because magic comes from the stars and the stars are irredeemably evil to her.
Magic used to do evil is punished as normal, so you may not learn about curses (that can only cause harm by definition) unless you are a sanctioned hangman (and those normally don't learn magic).
Most magic is not very advanced, so it's not really dangerous on a cosmis scale. Large-scale experiments like replacing all heavenly bodies by artificial light-bulbs in order to extinguish the influence of the gods of Sun and Moon once and forever are frowned upon.

How would you implement Meme Magic in a TTRPG?

Could you explain further. Earth doesn't really come across as a forbidden magic in most cases of seen of it.

Teleportation isn't expressly forbidden, but is strongly discouraged and highly regulated, and only taught to the most skilled and responsible of spellcasters.

This is because of the nature of teleportation. All magic that transports things without crossing the intervening space touches the Void, the plane between planes, if only for a fraction of a second. The Near Void is a bit creepy but largely harmless, but repeated teleportation thins the planar barriers, and excessive use draws the Void metaphysically closer.

Strange and twisted creatures lurk in the Void, so when the barriers are thin and the Deep Void is drawn near due to repeated use of such spells, sometimes those creatures can break through and attack, or a Rift can form and a huge chunk of land is sucked into the Void. This explains why planar explorers who have visited the Void sometimes find floating islands in there, sometimes with pieces of cities or towns on them.

The PCs don't know this, but there was an ancient civilization that built large, permanent teleportation circles in all its major settlements and made extensive use of them, without knowing about the danger. This is why around the world, there are enormous deep canyons scattered about with strange magical energies lingering in them.

This is why instead of proper teleportation, magic that transforms objects or creatures into something much easier to transport, moves them, and then transforms them back is used more often, even if it's less efficient and lacks the range of proper teleportation.

Someone discoveres magic that controls particle decay in matter. Two major cities later it's banned as FUCK and the players have a magical The Zone from STALKER to explore.

Why not teleport through something else?

I'm sure I could write something up about how attempts have been made, but the Void is the plane between planes, so it's the connective tissue between all the other planes. To teleport, you have to use it.

*Necroanimation, as it plays with giving life to the dead. This prohibition also applies to arcane surgery, because it disrupts the sanctity of the spirit's carriage. Some characters have been trying to force a change here for a while, as this discipline is extremely efficient in contrast to Mystic Agape, or the restitution of health through faith.

* Enchantment Puppetry, or that sort of enchantments that force people to act against what they otherwise would do. (The extent on how this covers all sorts of enchantment is hotly debated, as there's a whole school of legalistic magic related to making people forecefully abide to local law).

* Mystic plagiarism, or arcane despoilment, which is the method of taking other's arcane pacts and faculties by force. This also applies to dispelling magic from cultural treasures, which might make troublesome changes to other sorts of magic that depend on such treasures to work properly.

* All sorts of mix of magic and psionics. Even thought the Arcane Order's official stance on this is that both power sources (arcane Aleph and psionic Tzdai) are incompatible, and , thus, impossible, any attempt to actually pull this over will get you the unwanted attention of a network of cabals dedicated to erase psionics from the world by all means necessary.

* Chronomagic. Because it doesn't exist, has never existed and will never exist in any possible world, ever.

All magic is effectively forbidden, as it's extraordinarily dangerous for the casual user and also to a much lesser extent because it represents a threat to the gods. While in some backwoods villages or hamlets, you might find people practicing rituals, most of which don't have any real effect, there are no officially sanctioned magic users in the surface world. In the labarythine maze of caverns and tunnels below ground, however, there are a number of small cities where practitioners can be found. And in north of one of the worlds inland seas, a number of clandestine programs are underway to weaponize magic and those who develop magical abilities.

There are a number of problems with magic, though. Outside of those backwoods witches, if you are caught, you will be killed. If you screw up a spell, it can maim or kill you. Even if you're careful not to get caught, and you know what you're doing, magic also has mutagenic effects which can lead to mental problems, deformities and even cancer.

By whom? I ban Psionics primarily due to the crappy Psionics of early D&D. But that's the whole of any game I run.

My game world has prohibitions scattered about, none very well thought out. Thevon (city) forbade any noisy magic after dark, only to modify the law when Bards had to shut down after dark. Porlus (county) forbids all forms of necromancy, but it doesn't seem to deter the undead drifting over the border. Torenth (nation) bases 'citizenship', rights, etc on an individual's magical power.

Or just one magic die that whispers thoughts into your mind.

Necromancy is banned in most areas other than the deep southern state whom see the owning of a dead servant as a sign of power.

In another state, Illusion magic usage on a person is banned as it is seen as blasthemy against 'the Painter', the god that they believe created everything as a work of art, and to disguise yourself is to deny God.

In-setting people don't have magic without being horribly deepsea mutated monsters, but gods do, those gods can select people and give them slivers of their power.

The in-setting god of earth is also the in-setting version of this big scary monster ala satan (mostly he wants things in balance, which means all gods and their creations have to go by force), and as such using earth magic means you're basically satan's bitch and probably deranged and forced (willingly or not) into a "Kill everyone so they get out of my fucking earth" crusade.

He MIGHT be a god now, since he kinda did totally surpass the god of time

Only divine magic is widely banned and very much unknown to most people, because when you call upon the power of a god, he can deem you annoying and just smite your ass instead of helping, so you need to be a special snowflake to use it anyway.
Another carefully monitored type is dream magic, cause if a genius appears somewhere without training, it takes a great amount of work to restore normal nature laws to the area.

They've been leaking into this board and others but if you say anything about it even when they admit they're from /pol/ and posting off topic shit then you're just a liberal marxist millennial who's delusionally oversensitive.

> What type of magic is forbidden in your world?
The kind without a permit.

> Why?
It's the law.

It is illegal to not have magical powers. The populace is told this is to be prepared for the return of some ancient evil from the past that was narrowly defeated by a group of heroes possessing magical abilities.

The truth however is that threat was defeated forever in the past, and those heroes seized the opportunity to rule the world. All magic the masses possess in some way can be traced back to one of those heroes, and that connection allows the ruling 'heroes' to subtly influence the population. People who are magicless are beyond the 'heroes' influence and sight, and therefore are branded dangerous criminals.

Not really forbidden, it just doesn't exist yet. I'm preparing a campaign where necromancy and 'evil' magic don't exist yet. The world is not quite paradise, but evil aligned things are extremely rare. As events unfold the gaps in the gods protection become larger and some people discover that in those places you can use magic differently. A few of the races are corrupted. The high elves try to combat this by drinking the blood of a demigod and gaining celestial powers. It doesn't turn out quite how they plan. The 'new' magic isn't obviously evil, though. Not sure how the players will react or what side they will choose but I think it will be fun.

>bringing politics into threads
I would travel 8 years into the future just to skip this

Why does the UN ban all the fun stuff?

Makes up for their lack of power. Most nations don't even pay their membership dues.

Necromancy, even if the creation of mindless skeletons is more like creating a golem, rather than an evil contained in a bunch of bones.
It happens to be that undead are small sources of negative energy, gather too much together and dangerous phenomena start happening.
The land becomes less bountiful over time and eventually sterile, the people grow weak and ill over time.

In battlefields were war is waged for many generations, many of those who are strong enough and have their bodies lay unconsecrated or taken away come back from the dead as graveknights, either insane or on an inevitable path towards insanity. And the latter, as always, cannot self-terminate, and will react aggresively to anyone trying to put them down.

*have their bodies lay unconsecrated or not taken away from the nearby area

I'm guessing some of Bigby's less well-known spells are quite popular with proctolomancers;
Bigby's Probing Finger
Bigby's Lubed Up Fist

That sort of thing...

As a general rule, no magic is specifically forbidden, per se, although that various between cities and states.

but, using magic overtly tends to a) freak people out and b) draw attention to the user from various interested parties who may or may not be benevolent

Nothing is forbidden - magic was created by the gods, why would you forbid it? It is inherently divine. Casting magic is an act of worship.

You are a pathetic loser with delusions of grandeur. And that fact needs no numbers to prove it. Your words are enough.

In my setting, time magic is banned throughout the planes (with the exception of weaker stuff like time stop, which gets the pass since you could technically move fast enough for time to appear stopped). Some guy invented it millenia ago, and sold scrolls of time reversal, time warp, etc to anyone and everyone.

This led to an interplanar war between the good and evil gods, and in the end they called a truce and removed anyone who tampered in chronomancy from existence.

Necromancy, cause I'm not a contrarian.

Healing Magic.

It was completely outlawed when people began to realize the fact that the subject would become addicted to the feeling of being in top physical health, demanding unnecessary and expensive spells be cast for little reason.

Common people would take little care with hazardous situations, basic hygiene becomes lax as people figured a quick spell would fix any broken bones or cuts and heal any disease or sickness.

Ontop of that the excessive magical healing lead to magically resistant "super" disease, which required more powerful and exotic spells to cure.

that reminds me of some scenario where excessive use of healing magic would cause some kind of cancer due to the cellular multiplication process being forced to its limit

also, if healing is so over-used in there why didn't people create preventive spells and auras against diseases?

derailed with the first post

amazing

Magick in the setting is convoluted and presented in a secular manner, no hard magick can be proven to work, but the "magick" that relies on physical science is verifiably real.

>Periaptry
The art of charms and enchantment. One of the most widespread and tolerated disciplines. Charms include amulets, rings, lucky stones, tattoos, paints, scars, and so on. Charms can be found in all cultures and only specific charms are forbidden in specific areas.

>Malediction / Benediction
The art of curses or blessings, respectively. The line between periaptry and benediction is vague, as most charms are blessed by a priest. This discipline is also found in most cultures, but in many different forms. Curses are the quintessential act of witchcraft and are often punished with death or exorcism.

>Obsecration
Convoluted definition. Meant to refer to communicating with spirits or gods through prayer or ritual, but it usually refers to any divination, and it will in this description. An obsecrator was once a must-have in every king's court, but they have fallen out of style after kings ruining themselves with the incorrect prophecies they received. Obsecrators are everywhere and they are typically persecuted for individual actions, not their craft itself.

>Necromancy
Replaced the old definition of obsecration. Necromancy is the attempted communication with the dead, with spirits, or with demons. Common in some cultures, illegal in others.

>Decimation
Human sacrifice, especially to appease a god. Derives from "addecimation" which includes fines, faxes, dowries and bridewealths, and blood tithes, along with human sacrifice. Human sacrifice was once widespread across the world before the spread of Soliticism and the genocide of witches by the empire of Ikynthea, and it is now deeply shunned in most kingdoms. In the Nur magickal discipline, it is believed that all magic is powered by the collective bloodshed of the era.

>Alchemy (real)
The scientific study of plants, minerals, crystals, oils, and metals. Purposes include medicine, recreational drugs, proto-electricity, smithing, mithrilworking (mithril is brittle and must be regularly reforged and coated in oils), explosives, and gunpowder. Novice alchemists are everywhere, but expert alchemists are highly feared and sought after by lord and bandit-king alike.

>Aberration (real)
Esoteric branch of alchemy concerning the modification of the human body to create golems. Aberration revolves around tiny organisms which can form a symbiotic relationship in the blood or organs of humans, allowing for growth, regeneration, pain insensitivity, longevity, and more. Golems are accepted nowhere, and it is rare for them to have any rights. Most parasites cause blatant physical growth and decay, sacrificing the golem's beauty and humanity for power. Includes the study of vampires.

It's not prohibited per se...

In my current game, spirits let people cast magic. Which is why only clerics, druids, rangers, bards and warlocks exist. Wizards and Sorcerers don't.

Warlocks are hunted by all the other classes, however, because they drain the power of the spirits to cast their spells, while clerics etc ask for the power the spirits can give them.

Magic from the ancient civilization. While there are spells there that seem to break the restrictions on normal spellcasting, their spells lack the important safety restrictions that prevent the magic from "leaking" into the environment. The old empire fell due to this contamination.