In a 1950s vision of the future of space, what do you need besides rayguns, fishbowl helmets, and flying saucers?

In a 1950s vision of the future of space, what do you need besides rayguns, fishbowl helmets, and flying saucers?

Other urls found in this thread:

archive.org/details/galaxymagazine?&sort=date
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Exotic planets.

Dangerous beasts.

Robots.

Sexy robots.

separate drinking fountains and bathrooms for the different species

Why does like no modern SF have rayguns anymore? Like they are fun, so much fun that even Margaret Atwood had them in Oryx and Crake and she usually tries to keep things as realistic as possibru
Oh also danger and peril and dudes with muscles but not too much muscle fighting villains that are fucking psychotically brutal

Basically we learned how "rays" work. Charged particle suffer from dispersion due to repulsion, and using ionizing radiation would be tough for you to shield yourself against your own weapon.

something is really wrong with her right leg in that op

Or really clunky, bulky robots.

Yeah but Science fiction still features humanity going to space and not industrial civilization collapsing in the 21st century and eventually going extinct thanks to climate change so why give a toss about realism in that one instance?

Room-sized computers.

Slide rules.

Tough space frontiersmen.

Classic "grey" aliens.

Every planet has earth-like gravity and atmosphere. EVERY SINGLE ONE.

Every "evil" alien or alien creature has lecherous designs towards female PC's.

Ancient, mysterious powers that are either actually super-advanced science or "not-magic".

Anti-gravity and faster than light travel.

No solid state circuitry. Everything is vacuum tubes and ginormous.

Women are only for distraction, being the mother figure or kidnapping.

A good right hook will ultimately beat any alien creature no matter how big and strong.

Guns are absolutely deadly, no matter what the type, UNLESS you're a PC.

When they find out the average American prefer actual guns in their fiction.

Here, have a few images in the same vein...

And another.

And one more.

>eventually going extinct thanks to climate change
But that's exactly why we need to go to space, user. Right now all of humanity's eggs are in one poorly maintained basket.

And one last one for now.

Thank you bro.

We won't for that very reason though. The future isn't permutation city or Foundation or Dune much as I wish it was. It's The Sheep Look Up

a bald villain with arched eyebrows and a razor sharp goatee

Planet X.

Rocket-ships

Technobabble that uses actual scientific terms, but completely incorrectly. One Doc Savage tale, for example, explained that his personal airplane traveled at almost 300 miles per hour because it used "turbine". Any real scientist could have explained that "turbine" pretty much just means a rotary engine. But in a pulp adventure, it sounds like SCIENCE!

In fact, here's a table for technobabble, lifted from d20 Past.

>That spaceship

Freud would have a field day.

Rolled 91 (1d100)

In fact, I want a technobabble invention right now.

Rolled 16, 91, 19, 9, 66 = 201 (5d100)

Hmm, 91, so that means...I gotta roll 5d100. Wow.

Microwave Nanofield Transformer Robot

That sounds awesome.

Spaceships that look somewhere between realistic and silly.

Traveller's aesthetic essentially

Both!

That was hilarious, especially the sound that you get when Fisto fists you.

You need to be able to trust the government. They might be inept or helpless, or competent and managing the heroes, but they're the good guys.

Rolled 32, 43, 28, 32, 10 = 145 (5d100)

Hopefully this produces some nice technobabble.

Rolled 11 (1d100)

You forgot to roll the initial d100 to determine how many parts the name has. I'll do it for you.

>32, 43

So we only need the first 2 numbers you rolled. Congratulations, you're the proud owner of a Full-spectrum Charger.

Maybe some kind of Green Lantern thing?

As the rocket prepares to launch from the planet's surface, the ladder is drawn up into the hatch in the side of the rocket and clouds of white smoke billow forth from the rocket nozzles at the base.
Every time. And when the rocket lands on a planet, .esab eht ta selzzon tekcor eht morf htyof wollib exoms etihw fo sduoc dna tekcor eht fo edis eht ni hctah otni pu nward di reddal eht

(very clearly it is the same footage, run backwards)

SPAC
COMMUNISTS

I see images but no one mention it.

Space Babes! It is an integral part of the asthetic.

Is like not having pin up and war posters in WWII, regardless how popular it was during the time, the asthetic of WWII demands it.

What is going on with that spaceship?

0 Niggers, Albion Britain, Highly American, Mars bathing beaches post terraforming, and machines that do a lot, but look underwhelming save for the 50's aesthetic of it all.

Lack of powersex tools.

Radioactive everything. Because radiation makes anything better.

>radium bullets
>radium shielding
>radium radios
>radium rations

He said 1950s, not 1980s, you silly millennial.

computer gods

>not wanting to travel the stars in a penguin

JETPACKS

Going to contribute an image dump cause I love retro scifi.

A sidekick!

Commies that are easily defeatable via technological progress under the control of protestant american temperance.

>Le American guns ecksdee
>>>/reddit/

Guns are simply more practical. If you want ray or laser weaponry in a sci-fi setting make them more practical than guns.

I could so see Starfinder turning out like this.

Barbarella, how we love you.

Counter culture space villains and their really hot daughters.

Would be a welcome change of pace from the Star Wars, Mass Effect, and 40K knock offs.

Doesn't retro sci-fi usually have the Soviets surviving WAY into the future?

You dingus, this is clearly 70s.

Step 1: Go here: archive.org/details/galaxymagazine?&sort=date
Step 2: Read all the things (or at least some, but trust me, you'll end up wanting to read it all).
Step 3: Base campaign on what you've read.

In any case, rocket ships (probably atomic-powered) must be involved. Probably also space rangers and frontiermen, mix of high and (from our point of view) low technology (atomic-powered space ships, but all computers run on vacuum tubes, and slide rulers are commonly used), aliens that exist either to provide social commentry or act as antagonists, and at least one case of exploding baffle plate (whatever that actually is) that has to be repaired by hand by a grizzled spaceman who sacrifices his life to safe the ship.

For maximum pulpiness, take the plot of a western movie, and replace eveyr mention of "cowboy" with "space ranger", "indian" with "alien" and "six-shooter" with "ray-gun". You don't find much of this in Galaxy, though, as they actually had pretty high standards.

Hey shit for brains, Greys have been around a lot longer than the fuckin 80s.

To be defeated by the hero.

>Hey shit for brains, Greys have been around a lot longer than the fuckin 80s.

Could you post some images of grayyys from the 1950s?

No because they're not real.

Pictured is Mekon by Dan Dare which first appeared in his comics in the 50s.

Reports of "greys" started in the early sixties with some couple that got abducted, but reports and descriptions similar to the now accepted look have been appearing since the 1930s

"we wuz grays n sheeit. learn yo origins"

"See that elongated stripe out there with the myriad of giant balls hanging off it? That is what my genitals look like."

And that's why Neptunians are stealing all our chicks. Bastards.

Looks more like a James Bond henchwench to the main villain.

Modern style greys are from 60s abduction stories. Grey colored aliens go back to Jules Verne though and something close to modern greys was featured in some obscure Swedish novel during 30s, but they didn't become popular until sixties.

ACK ACK ACK!

When you get a new computer, you shake his hand, ask him where he studied and offer him a cup of coffee/a sip of whisky from your flask.

>drinking whisky with your computer
See, now that is how you get some weird shit in your browser history and next thing you know the Party Saucer shows up with the space cops.

Nah, the earlier sci-fi novels were written in the time when a computer was a job, not a thing. Spacehounds of IPC start with a ship getting a new computer; and it's someone who's job it is to calculate the trajectories, speed, velocities, etc. Also the spaceships land in big silos with immense spring and hemp buffers.

So those Mars Attacks aliens are actually from 50s? I thought Burton (or someone else involved with movie) designed them himself.

It's quite sad how many autists lost their only job with birth of electronic computer.

Yep, they were trading cards first. Pretty gruesome and controversial for the time.

>So those Mars Attacks aliens are actually from 50s? I thought Burton (or someone else involved with movie) designed them himself.

I don't have a reaction image on this computer strong enough to express what I'm feeling, so please accept this paltry substitute. Pretend they're laughing at you.

>eventually going extinct thanks to climate change
At the current rate, especially considering the anti climate change actions we've taken so far, humanity will have stupid itself to death long before the climate becomes unsuitable for humans.
I mean, with the current bellcurve model, and al the actions we've taken so far, if we keep on at the current rate we'll only increase by 1 degree Celcius in terms of global average within the next 100 years. Meanwhile, Oil will run out within the next 50 years and that's also when we expect to hit the Carrying capacity.

Trust me, while Climate Change is a real thing, its not as insanely world ending as the media would have you believe. IF anything all we've done so far is hasten the natural heating interval by around 200 years. Sure, its currently warmer currently than it has ever been since Homo sapiens have been on the planet, but to be fair the global trend has been that way since the glaciation

>we'll only increase by 1 degree Celcius in terms of global average within the next 100 years
Yeah, who needs insects anyway?

t. Spider internet defense force

Nuclear reactors that are perfectly safe despite the blue glow.
Everyone is accepting of other species, but not women or black people.
Sleek rocket ships that land on planets and moons.
Little green men with antennae and big heads.
Miniskirts, bare legs, and not just on the women.
Fancy accents and correct english; everyone on the bridge is an officer and upper-class. At least one RP-speaking british guy somewhere.
Anyone who actually works for a living has a thick regional accent. Bonus points for having a brummie accent.
Knobs and dials and switches everywhere.

While that is a valid problem with climate change, and an important issue, the main subject was user taking about human extinct, not effects on insect populations.

Further, other insects will do much better, especially Mountain Pine Beatle and the like. Really, Reptiles are at bigger threat from climate change than most insects

The main issue with climate change isn't the temperature itself however. It's the fact that doing so raises the bell curve on weather disturbance, thus altering the frequency and intensity of of major weather events, such as desert flooding, short duration blizzards, and potentially a she but more erratic or intense drought interval.

Also, increased wildland fire interval, bit given hownnuch we've repressed the natural fire regime over the past 100+ years, that could probably be a good thing

But again, original user was talking about humans, and my post was meant to correct his misconceptions. This conversation we've had meanwhile is off topic to that original statement

>Knobs and dials and switches everywhere.
Why can't we have more of this?
Touch pads were a mistake

>While that is a valid problem with climate change, and an important issue, the main subject was user taking about human extinct, not effects on insect populations.

How well do you think our agriculture-based society will fare when you take away the agriculture part