How do you deal with That Guys that insist on playing special snowflake characters?

How do you deal with That Guys that insist on playing special snowflake characters?

How do you deal with only making bait threads?

gurgh gurgle

Make their special snowflake race and class mainstream parts of the setting, so they aren't special anymore and have to actually roleplay for widespread recognition.

Pity.
Make them the BELIEVE that they are special snowflake- but without any of the power. Due to this they come off as utterly sad individuals to which strangers pity them- even the dregs of society.

Also works, but only in gurps
Slap on the Delusion disadvantage onto a regular PC build and call it a day. Make em play this individual that genuinely believes that they are some half-dragon half-9 dicked laser turtle-half gelatinous cube.

>9 dicked laser turtle

I demand stats.

I let them, but never actually acknowledge their special snowflake status.

If they press the issue or try to use it to impress/intimidate the NPCs I make said NPCs really jaded.

>"Aye lad, ye be a half dragon. Ah'm sure yer a great fighter. But Ah've seen yer kind 'fore. Just last harvest onna ya scalies came by 'n slew his pappy just outside town. Made a grand show of it. Ah got sick of eatin' dragon after 'bout two weeks."

you might be on to something

how about just making 25% or more lf all NPCs the exact same kind of snowflake?

I'd just let them, and have the characters react in a way that makes sense for the setting. Going after players because they annoy you is a waste of time, and if you don't want to deal with them. Either kick them out of the group, or leave the group.

This. If they insist on being a wierd race or template shit, add it to your setting and make it a somewhat common thing.

No no no, it's definitely better to engage in passive aggressive jabs aimed at anyone who even vaguely annoys you.

It's how I've lived my life so far and it seems to be working out.

Honestly, as a GM, I fucking love what are probably considered "snowflake" PCs.

The more unusual and unique, the better. As long as you can make an interesting character and don't just get bored of it a few sessions in, I'm more than happy to accommodate you.

Hell, I allowed a half-orc, half-kitsune PC in one of my games, and it was great. Probably one of my favorite PCs.

Call him a faggot

I'm sure it has, buddy

>first two replies are obviously that guy

>9 dicked laser turtle

Gentlemen.

make them play it whole heartedly. I mean full background, and actually contribute in everything.

He looks 40000% Radical.

you let him play his character, but include the consequences in the game world
ie. Drow and Duergar being hunted out of every town etc.

I played a Drow outcast, and boy was it a special snowflake.
During the campaing my character died just before we got out of the Drow area. In order to continue the GM said that I could make characters to take his place but it had to make sense. The previous character was also a special snowflake, a normal ass soldier from modern earth, wearing body armor and sunglasses but without any guns, there were limits to the bullshit the GM would allow in.

I made a Drow outcast that ran away with the party and inherited some of the equipment of the dead guy, so it was a sunglasses wearing Drow in a military outfit on a medieval fantasy setting. It also died a while after, but it was rad.

Send them back to /pol/.

How do you deal with That Guy GMs who insist on everyone playing a strict archtype and who reeees uncontrollably at any symbol individualism or character?

Of you mean like the vampire that isn't affected by sunlight or the half and half who has all of the bonuses of both races but none of the drawbacks?

>symbol individualism or character

The problem I normally see as a GM and player is the people who pick the "symbol of individualism" have no character. Their entire thing is "look I'm x and have a chip on my shoulder about it" or "no one likes me because I'm an x so I'm an outcast."

I wouldn't mind it so much if just one person proved me wrong

if it simply wont work in my campaign i just say no. rule 0

"No."

I make special snowflake characters all the time, but its mainly for the unique RP opportunities it presents. But i'm not the type of person that craves being the center of attention, so it kinda balances out.

I wouldn't call mine snowflakes, but I make some uncommon characters
Lizard folk paladin
Kobold psion
They usually just kinda sit back and are generally all lazy bastards who are to busy napping, eating, or fighting to deal with any "Prejudice"

>try Dragon's Dogma Online
>turn into an anti-That Guy by designing a normal-looking, middle-aged man in a sea of rainbow-coloured lolis

Was that a passive aggressive jab? I think it's working

A good player can make the simplest archetype fun to play, and fun to party with. Their actions and methods will decide the characters personality.

A bad player will make the mistake of choosing a bunch of shit to make themselves a "Special snowflake" as the thread puts it, mistakenly believing that these options somehow add to their ability to roleplay.

Roleplaying an option is more important than having tons of options to roleplay.

Let them

You're so unique!

>all these "u should let That Guy play his special snowflake XDDDDDDDD" answers

WTF happened to you, Veeky Forums? That attitude is both spineless and stupid. I want Redditors to fuck off.

It's not like the GM has to stubbornly flat out reject the character either. They can work with the player to pare down the snowflakiness until the character fits properly into the game world while still providing most of what the player originally wanted from their character concept. COMMUNICATION and COMPRIMISE are at the heart of playing nicely with others you fucking autists.

Kill yourselves. All of you. Immediately.

>Roleplaying an option is more important than having tons of options to roleplay.
Now these are good words to play by.

>This angry about people wanting escapism in the escapist hobby they play for fun with friends on the weekend

Jesus man, it's just a game. Chill the fuck out. Let people have fun pretending to be the thing they came to the table to pretend to be, instead of putting all your arbitrary rules on how people can have fun right.

>le fun trump card XD
>le u mad XD

You are a moron with nothing useful to say. Just because you have no standards and blissfully swan through life shovelling shit down your throat with a beautific smile on your face doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Ice Elementals are a valid player race tho.

Wrex

Shepard

Hoo! Wouldja lookit that salt

Oh boy, this fallacy again. Making your character a dull piece of shit with no defining characteristics beyond "standard scottish accented dwarf with an axe" does not automatically make you a good roleplayer and no amount of playing an exotic fire elemental rap battler does not automatically make you a bad roleplayer.

You have to evaluate each character and player on their own roleplaying merits and also understand that while it's good to have everyone else's characters be fun for you, they primarily have to be fun for the people playing them. People often play exotic characters because they like them and though it may be trite to you it's still fresh and new to them.

I'm not saying a lack of options makes you a good roleplayer. I'm saying a good roleplayer will be good, even with few options.

Nice try.

Tell them to fuck off. You're the GM. Your game, your rules.

With the advent of chuunibyou in the past few years a "that guy" could presumably work around this by incorporating childish delusion as part of their character

But then they probably wouldn't be that guy if they could do that

Like, uh, any other That Guy?

It's not as if special snowflake characters are a problem. They might be a symptom of a That Guy, but not a problem.

I've got plenty of players who want special snowflakes- a siren truespeech bard, for example, who sings in truespeech. Or a half-shadowcreature who runs around and mutates partially-illusory claws to use in combat, alongside shadowcasting. Finally, an archer-witch, whose druid spells take the form of brews and potions.

They're all pretty good players, so I spent a bit homebrewing the special snowflakiness they wanted and now we're running a Gestalt game. Of course, there's less bullshit in this gestalt than most because half the players are playing monster races.

I imagine kitsunes as actual foxes and not dweeb anime characters, so I'm literally imagining a 6'7 fluffy orc with canine like tusks and a tail.
How far off am I?

>That Guys that insist on playing special snowflake characters

I don't let Republicans play in my games.

Well, if I'm DMing, I usually vet my players well enough for this to be a nonissue. If I'm in the same party as said snowflake, I make my opinions on their character known. If they make a character that I as a player feel will detract from the experience of my fellow party members, I have no issue with taking them aside and chastising them.

I once played a half-kitsune character.

Then again, it was Dresden Files set in japan, and I wanted to make a changeling.

She ended up the lead singer for a 'garage' J-punk band called 'Foxfire'

... Then she fed a girl to a demon of some kind, completely on purpose, and went full Winter doing it.

Add a katana, and multicolored hair, and you're full snowflake.

Not really. For being a changeling, I was pretty normal. The other party members was a quiet and brooding shadow magician who used Ofuda when his shadow tricks wouldn't work, and a hot-blooded part-dragon with the actual name Ryuu. He never really used his dragon powers for anything except for superhuman vitality, so he didn't end up very dragony...

We went to Japanese High School together.

It was actually an extremely fun campaign.

The whole demon-feeding thing was mostly because the girl was pretty much already dead, and the demon was using her as a 'bridge' to reality. So we shoved her into a portal to the nevernever that the demon was from- the equivalent of making sure both ends of the bridge was on the same side, so it couldn't be used.

My character used and abused her powers whenever physically possible, so she started picking up a lot more illusion and shapeshifting tricks. I might've gone full fey, if the campaign kept going...

Man, I miss that game.

The stick in your ass is mighty and firm, user. Your pretentiousness is an inspiration to us all.

>special snowflake
>core race
>core class
???

>Lizardfolk Paladin

That's pretty fucking cool though. I remember in the old Quick Start!! threads they used to moan about not being able to play Alshard (it was in rune) because it had Lizardmen Paladins on Motorcycles.

I don't, because playing a special snowflake isn't a bad thing.
>So you're okay with a half-demon kitsune sorcerer running wild in your setting?
There is a logical limit to everything, but I never make settings that cannot accommodate player choices to a reasonable degree. If the concept is feasible fluff-wise and won't unbalance the party to any significant degree, I have no issue with it.

Your whole post is absurdly long-winded for essentially amounting to "good roleplayers roleplay good". Restricting character options isn't going to make a good character, it is something decided by the player. I've thoroughly enjoyed one player's tiefling psion, and hated another player's aasimar cleric; similarly I've hated an elven archer before but really liked a human fighter.

As always, blame the craftsman, not the tool.

(you)

>Banning snowflake characters instead of tormenting them with stupidly powerful NPCs for being freaks
Use some imagination

Go back to your asylum /pol/tard

If a character idea isn't a good fit for my game I just talk it out with the player before they put too much time and thought into it, and definitely before the game starts.

You gotta have the GM and the players on the same page about what they want out of the game and what sort of character fits. So you work with them until that is the case, or if it becomes apparent you want wildly different games, you don't play together in this one.

No matter what do not give in to their demands. You need to be firm and assert your authority.