EDH commander thread

Armature hour Edition

RESOURCES

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their deck’s strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Another resource for commander discussion; they have an entire forum dedicated to discussing decks. People often make primers, which go into detail about how they built and play their deck.
mtgsalvation.com/forums/the-game/commander-edh

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commander’s color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCHING

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info/

>Thread question
Do you purposely mix up your meta when it gets too stale?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/what-even-is-that/
edhrec.com/
mtggoldfish.com/deck/591294#paper
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thriller-its-just-a-1/
mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-baral-chief-of-compliance-32
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>Do you purposely mix up your meta when it gets too stale?
I keep churning out decks for silliness, like this business tappedout.net/mtg-decks/what-even-is-that/

>Do you purposely mix up your meta when it gets too stale?
Yes, my playgroup doesnt realize it but when I draw and play certain cards I usually retire it and replace it with a new card. They're in my gimick/jank slots and even in a "competetive" deck I have at least 5 slots devoted to hilarious jank.

Is there a fun way to play Selesnya/Naya? Sidar+Tana has piqued my interest but I can't tell if it's actually fun or not to play.

Uril and marath are both good

Rate the new cards I'm including in my deck

Also what's up with the new 30 life rule for 1 vs 1? My Obzedat lifegain is going to be a lot shittier, not cool Wizards

It's kinda funny that I caught myself getting upset at Rift and being proud about Armageddon. Choice picks, mate.

>thread question
My meta doesn't get stale because I'm always changing things up because I enjoy deckbuilding more than playing.

1v1 has 20 life now, not 30. Also it's not a format that's managed by WotC, nor is EDH.
Stony Silence is meta dependant, and can be from useless to backbreaking. Rift is a staple. Knight is awful and should be using Wayfarer usually most of the time and Armageddon is good. I dislike the FtV foil though, Portal, Portal Second Age and ABURgeddon arts and cards are good.

1v1 has been changed to 30 life from 40 on Magic Online, get with the times gramps.

But in actual duel commander it's 20 life, I know considering I played in those tournaments recently unfortunately.

Wayfarer does not put the land into play, just hand. Knight is hella fucking good, it's literally wood elves but better.

In Magic Online, but in paper too?
Like, if I play with my friends at home today and do a 1 vs 1 casual match, do I have to start at 30?

Depends on whether it's duel commander or leviathan.

It's a casual match, you don't have to do anything. Wizards are making changes to Magic Online to support 1v1 commander tourneys, and accidentally rolled out the 30 life change too early. What else is in store is currently up in the air, but it's probably going to make waves into how people play 1v1 commander offline as well.

Returning player to MTG who played before EDH officially became commander, I was thinking of giving commander a shot since it's something pretty different than the usual I have been playing when it comes to MTG but I have 0 idea where to start, so I was wondering if there is a tier list or something for the commanders so I can get an idea of what is good and what isn't.

Sure, do you have friends to play with? There are casual commanders for fun and then degenerate combo super strong commanders.

edhrec.com/

this website will help with anything commander related you need, it's great, spend some time looking at the options.

I do have some friends to play with.

best thing to do is find a legendary card you like and start putting aside single cards that work around that 1 card. thats how i made my first edh deck.

Then pick a color combination you like and see what commanders it has, or any legendary creature you like as a commander, then EDHREC tells you statistically what the best cards are to include in the deck, it builds the deck itself basically

Are cards like Dark Ritual or Bolt any good in EDH?

Short answer: No
Long answer: If you're playing duel commander/french maybe, but outside meme combo decks, either one tends to get less useful the more players in game, and EDH tends to be played in groups of 4.

Hmm true, so in my 4 player playgroup there are 2 combo decks, each is very fast. I play a spot removal contro ldeck that is insanely good for 1 vs 1 but in 4 deathmatch I can only control one player and the other eventually slaughters me, my other friends plays a really slow casual reaper king deck and literally never wins.

Any strategies for this?

Building a nekuzar deck without the retarded draw for damage enchantments
Going for more of a cast nekuzar and wheel 5 times in the same turn deck
Any advice?

Depends on how good the combos are. Extremely heavy interaction like monoU and Mardu should be able to handle combos anywhere from around tier 2 and below. When you start playing against tier 1 decks stax is the only deck that can really keep up.

Otherwise be your own combo deck.

Yeah, one is semi combo, it runs prossh and can kill everyone or one person out of nowhere, the other one is even more lethal and harder to get rid of, it's Breya, and it was nimdeath mantle, thopter sword combo, time sieve and assembly, scrap mastery and open the vaults in case you try to fuck with him, ashnods altar and ironworks.. it's insane how dangerous that deck is

Just run a Rest in Peace/Leyline of the Void + Helm of Obedience package with decent removal.

Was the Prossh Food Chain? If it was you should probably get him to tone that shit down in the interest of having a fun playgroup.

Yeah it's food chain combo, luckily I've stopped it almost every time with Nevermore, I think I'll include that Stony Silence I posted earlier in my deck to kill Breya.

Bolt is ok to plink away utility creatures and powerful-but-frail commanders if you're in monored. You're 100% on the mark for ritual, though

>playing against a combo deck
>cast sadistic sacrament turn 3 and take out his wincons

Is there a better feeling in EDH my friends?

I pulled a foil ranger of eos but I have no idea if I can even use this for anything in karador or so.

So what are your favourite one drops /edhg/?
So far i'm thinking about:
deathrite shaman, scavenging ooze and my all time favourite the spore frog

MOTHER
OF
RUNES

Doomed traveller, goblin welder, wayfering traveller, champion of the parish, Isamaru.

Soul Warden is criminally underrated in aggressive metas.
Birds of Paradise is always good in multicolor.
Viscera Seer is a great sac outlet.
Cryptbreaker is good if you have a lot of zombies.
And let's not forget Serra Ascendant.

This guy

Unless you plan on playing in a super cutthroat environment the best thing to do is pick a color(s) or a commander you like and then use edhrec to get the basic idea of where you wanna take the deck and what synergies to look for. From there, I personally just pour through magiccards.info searches for specific phrases I want on cards but that's time consuming and not for everyone. Just remember deck building in commander doesn't end when you start playing. Tweak it to your meta.

So far it's EXCLUSIVE to MODO. They made it so 1v1 EDH has 30 life, and in a future update they're putting in leagues.

Yeah, don't build that. If you're able to generate enough mana (or live long enough) to cast your 5-drop Commander and 5 wheels that cost between 3 and 6 mana each, you could win with literally anything. If you're not gonna go whole-hog on Nekusar with all the duplicate effects and wheels, actually build something else (like maybe a deck that punishes people for getting greedy, or a Grixis Zombie Tribal deck), don't build the same tired old Nekusar Wheel.dec, except you intentionally kneecapped yourself from the word "Go".

>If you're able to generate enough mana
I think that build usually takes advantage of dream halls or other ways to cast spells for free

Still, that requires you to Wheel into another wheel spell + something that shares a color with it every single time, without accidentally double-dipping and getting multiple wheels in the same hand. It just seems... bad.

I sincerely hope this general auto-sages to the bottom and just dies and nobody ever makes an EDH general again. This amount of autism, trolling, and feint-superiority are not just annoying, but clinically dangerous. You people need help. You people truly and genuinely have a problem, on an interpersonal and social level you are all broken.

>Crybaby got his feelings hurt

>>>/reddit/

let me welcome to you the thread as one of the prime contributors to the thread autism. if you see an autistic post/meme then it's like a 50% chance it was me

>scavenging ooze
That's a 2 drop
>favorite one drop
Veteran Explorer, VIscera Seer, Mother of Runes

3$?
I might get one for my XenoGod deck.

Wow, salty, we haven't even gotten around to songposting yet.

>clinically dangerous
[[Oy veying in the distance]]

IS THAT

A MOTHERFUCKING

With enough threatening decks I managed to swing the pendulum towards answers at my LGS that their boardwipe game is lacking. So now it's time for Edric.

Mayael is fun since you can use lots of fatties, but you need a bunch of slightly expensive cards for library fixing like Sylvan Library, Sensei's Divining Top, every fetch available etc. Be prepared for your waifu to get hated out a lot, too
Marath is very fun if you want to go wide as fuck with lots of anthems, a couple of supporting fatties and absurd amounts of ramp. Having both a token producer and a mana outlet in the command zone means you don't have to worry about proper ratios of tokens/anthems/ramp when deckbuilding, just fill up with whatever you want. Having access to emergency burn on annoying utility creatures is just icing on the cake
Uril is a pretty standard, strong Voltron with some Enchantress support in the right colors for it. Fun if you like the idea of killing 1-2 players super fast before people get the resources to keep you down for the rest of the game
Can't recommend Gahiji, his political aspect doesn't really work against anyone worth their salt and without that he's just an expensive and fragile anthem

Haven't tried that many Selesnya commanders

One drop creature?

Martyr of Frost and Sage of Epityr put in work in my Azami deck. Experiment One is probably my favorite though it's not on my simic deck right now.

Is this the new pasta?

I made a Sidar/Tana.

Token generation deck, wincons are warstorm surge(or similar effect), stalking vengeance(or similar effect), cathar crusade/overrun, or thromok/mycoloth.

Sidar and Tana actually are probably the weakest part of the deck. While I do use them, and their effects work perfectly with the deck, them dying once or twice makes their cost really prohibitive for their body/effect.

COALITION IS ASLEEP.
POST PHYREXIA.

Are you open to other commanders with a similar strategy? If so I would recommend playing Yidris.
I am enjoying playing a deck for him that basically seeks to cascade from wheels into value and vice versa.

I personally like the value from cascade that Yidris applies to the deck, providing, of course, he hits face.
The addition of green I find also provides the deck with access to ramp and other powerful cards. For example, a few cards in the deck I play are:

Kruphix
Kydele
Leovold
Nath
Riku

I have also tried before throwing in a few storm spells which worked to a degree.

What a worthless set of villains
*Yawn*
They are no match for the gay watch!

How will the Gatewatch ever defeat a villain that can't be channeled/fireballed?

>That's a 2 drop
damn, of course it is

thanks, i'll have a look what i can fit in

That's literally the first villain they killed, though. Ulamog was indestructible, so they cooked up magic that removes Indestructible and Hexproof.

And Emrakul had protection from instants, so they stuck her in Moonjail.

right, but Phyrexia has no central power. If you kill Norn then another Praetor rises and takes power. Plus the fact they all share a common goal means regardless of who's in power their plans will be similar.

So they just have Chandra cast Vandalblast instead.

yfw by the end of the next block Nicol Bolas is overcome by and joins the Jacetice League and is now RUW with his own oath card

>Implying Phyrexians are Artifact Creatures

>the fact they all share a common goal
They don't though. The best solution I can come up with is eliminating all of the suns except the red one so New Phyrexia will be freed of all mana but red. Urabrask will be a just father of the machines.

He's still programmed to spread Phyrexian perfection. He'd just be a little more lenient than other FoM's

That's not really how that works. Before the Fifth Dawn, Mirrodin still had access to green mana. That's because the Suns are MADE of mana, not the SOURCES of them.

Isnt urabrask dead?

Probably in hiding. They never said he was dead, just Elish Norn was taking over. Urabrask wasn't at the creation of Atraxa despite being alive.

Which of these should I build next? And does anyone have any fun tech cards or reasons for the one they choose?

Zada
Gonti
Edric
Newzuri
Trostani
Mizzix
Gruul Wort
Yisan
Prossh

zada is the first deck i have made and finished irl.
people underestimate him and you pull out a win out of no wear.
also 1 mana draw 15 is super fun

>Gruul Wort
U r like little babby wach this

my list mtggoldfish.com/deck/591294#paper

Do you have friends? Do you want those people to hate you? Build Prossh or Yisan.

Do you want to throw big fucking spells all over the place? Build Wort.

Edric and Prossh will have the most variety and the highest powerlevel ceiling. As you upgrade them you'll acquire staples for the format that you would use in basically any deck in those colors like tutors and mana rocks.

Yisan is also competitive but can only be built one way and you'll quickly find it boring.

The rest are build-themselves ultrajank that don't feel rewarding to build, play, or play against.

Zada, Edric, Gonti, and Wort were the ones I was most interested in. I appreciate any lists I can get for ideas. Zada just seems so fun and the fact that normally innocuous spells can do so much really hits my buttons.

Yisan and Prossh we're both suggested to me along with Mizzix, but Wort seemed like the more fun spellslinger.

I could probably just build both pretty cheap and have some fun with them. I started Commander with Meren, grew bored of her quickly, and now look to make another paper deck. I've built a bunch online, but none of them felt right.

>Edric... most variety

What the...

Oh, it's important to note that the Mizzix deck I had in mind would be more based on this combo and a healthy serving of dragons rather than the usual spellslinger stuff. My friend suggested Mizzix, but he never said what to do with her after all.

You can do a lot, it's just that there's obviously one dominant strategy and not playing that is silly.

Politics, Ramp, various combos, Elves, and then fylers.dec. More if you're willing to play unplayable jank.

You don't even need Mastery to cast Dragonstorm for cheap in Mizzix, the only problem is the lack of Champion changelings for infinite damage with Scourge of Valkas.

>post yfw Jacetice league will kill Yawgmoth and Urza, along with Mishra, where both have been enslaved by Moth, because of newwalkers are afterall more powerful than oldwalkers.
All this in set that will have artifact instants and -sorceries and legendary instants and -sorceries.
Return to Theros will have enchantment instants and -sorceries

Oi, /edhg/.

I just bought petrol dragonshields and I needed a deck to go with it.

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/thriller-its-just-a-1/

Is this any good at all?

What are your current decks?
What is in your future?

>yfw Gix returns and bitch slaps every neo walker

>yfw Gix turns to be their tsundere fan and he joins them and gets his own Oath card but no other cards

>because of newwalkers are afterall more powerful than oldwalkers.
So, several things.

First, neither Mishra nor Yawgmoth were planeswalkers.

Second, all three of those characters are dead.

Third, post-Mending Planeswalkers are HILARIOUSLY weaker than pre-Mending ones (to the point where 2 of the pre-Mending planeswalkers in the current canon have "trying to get my fucking godlike powers back" as a primary motivation).

Fourth, even if Urza was brought back, unless they pulled some absolute horseshit, his Spark would be altered by the Mending too, so he'd be at Neowalker levels

Fifth, putting a permanent type on an Instant would basically make it not work

mtggoldfish.com/articles/budget-commander-baral-chief-of-compliance-32

I'm working on the budget list, what can I take out to put in serum visions?

>Budget version doesn't have Preordain or Ponder

Disciple of the Vault is best

>Jace give Nicky a Naruto-inspired Talk-no-Jutsu

Well, wizards could pull something like that. It's entirely possible that impossible things happen.

POST 'EM

No.

What are the must have cards in a Boros deck?
And do any of you have experience with playing blood moon and ruination in 2 color? How bad does it fuck you over?

POST YOUR FAVORITE COMMANDER'S THEME SONG

posted

I don't have experience with Blood Moon, but with Back to Basics, which is similar enough. Both of those work best in mono, but 2 colours are great as well, only issue being that you have limited ramp options in Boros. I would still focus on artifact mana and nuking lands, so including Armageddon wouldn't be bad idea.
All boils down to you playgroup, if they're whiny kinds scared of bully boogeymen or mature enough to not whine about your strategies. This is assuming that they don't run megabudget garbage jankpiles though, but if they have some kind of synergy within their decks or they're playing any UGx, go for it.

Probably better now that 4c precons came out but my meta isn't heavy on shocks and fetches so there isn't much of an effect.

Used to run Blood Moon in Archangel Avacyn and usually my own Sunhome was the worst effected card in the board.

Guess I was ahead of the curve.

Someone?